Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Karthik R

Network Crash Points To Airtel System Loopholes

07_05_pg11a.jpg

The failure of Bharti Airtel’s network on Thursday— it crashed for several hours without notice in Delhi leaving 8 million consumers helpless — has raised two fundamental issues. One, whether the launch of 3G value-added services is adversely affecting primary services. And two, whether India’s largest telecom company has over-outsourced its equipment and management to vendors.

The company did not give any reason for failure of its network. “An unforeseen technical outage had affected services on some of our circuits,” a Bharti spokesperson said. “As a result some of Airtel Delhi mobile subscribers have experienced connectivity issues.”

But the issues could be larger. “The network architecture has become very complex after the launch of 3G services,” said a former CTO of a large telecom company. “That’s why calls drop frequently on networks that are offering 3G services.

The 3G network is overlayed over the existing 2G network and use the same core network. “There are about 15 to 20 main switching centres (MSC) of Airtel in Delhi,” said the head of another telecom company. “Possibility is that due to some software glitch a few MSCs may have stopped working.

It could also be the firm’s aggressive outsourcing model. When a company outsources its entire technology to outside vendors, it does not have control over it in crisis situations. While Bharti was the first company to outsource its network management and IT to vendors, other private operators have followed suit.

Citing that all its officials were busy in internal meetings, the company refused to comment.

“The problem is that the Indian companies do not have enough technical expertise to monitor the outsource activities,” said a former CMD of a government-owned telecom service provider.

via : Hindustan Times

Edited by Karthik R

I think reliance and others didt had this issue

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Our Company is providing maintenance of power supplies / UPS / Rectifiers for Indus.

Though we are not directly involved in the Radio Infrastructure but I can say that this problem is due to overlaying of 2.1GHz Radio units alongside the old 900/1800 DRUs and simultaneously using the old microwave infrastructure for Tower to Tower to MSC datalinks.

The multiplicity of devices have made the network very complex.

Airtel Delhi is the oldest operator using oldest equipment and has very heavy traffic.

Others can also face such problems though companies like vodafone have slowing been upgrading their older systems.

These kind of outrages are not likely in CDMA systems. Interconnectivity in CDMA is through fibre optic links and also for CDMA to work, all Towers in same SID have to transmit in sync ( CDMA is different technology all together )

• Like 3

Others can also face such problems though companies like vodafone have slowing been upgrading their older systems.

These kind of outrages are not likely in CDMA systems. Interconnectivity in CDMA is through fibre optic links and also for CDMA to work, all Towers in same SID have to transmit in sync ( CDMA is different technology all together )

Thanks for confirming the superiority of CDMA.

via : Hindustantimes

Please always put the actual link of the source story in that via. Many a times people want to read/explore more (I Do most of the time) at the actual source for interesting/technical stuff, read user comments, head on to the relevant similar subject links at many sites etc. It really helps instead of searching the story manually just through the name of the source website. Thanks.

Great. If that's true, We CDMA lovers have one more bragging right in our repository of already a stronger arsenal.

True for the past 5-6 days in delhi ,voice calls from airtel to other networks is erratic infact cant even hear or understand

Airtel may be oldest in Delhi, but Idea is probably the oldest in Maharashtra circle. But the network has never let me down once in years. Well, neither did RCDMA... though it did have infrequent hiccups. That was when I was using it. Airtel is on 1800 MHz in Mah., so it probably came much later (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). But still their network sux BIG time. As for Docomo, 3G did degrade their network big time... though it was supposed to be ready for it, with newer equipment and all. Though now its more or less back to its pre-3G days.

So newer equipment vs. older, CDMA vs. GSM. Does it make any sense regarding the ground reality?

As for AirHELL, reminds me of the last big crash, the effects of which lasted quite sometime. IIRC even the fire safety equipment was not in working state at their site.

Edited by raccoon

Our Company is providing maintenance of power supplies / UPS / Rectifiers for Indus.

Though we are not directly involved in the Radio Infrastructure but I can say that this problem is due to overlaying of 2.1GHz Radio units alongside the old 900/1800 DRUs and simultaneously using the old microwave infrastructure for Tower to Tower to MSC datalinks.

The multiplicity of devices have made the network very complex.

Airtel Delhi is the oldest operator using oldest equipment and has very heavy traffic.

+1 from me

thanks

via : Hindustantimes

Please always put the actual link of the source story in that via. Many a times people want to read/explore more (I Do most of the time) at the actual source for interesting/technical stuff, read user comments, head on to the relevant similar subject links at many sites etc. It really helps instead of searching the story manually just through the name of the source website. Thanks.

What about following this format

Source : <link>

Updated OP by the same :)

:previous:

It is the same whether you use Via or Source or Link or Courtesy, I mostly use Source....