Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kshah

Google Announces Chrome Books With Chrome OS

Google Launches Chromebooks From Acer, Samsung

Source

Like Android, I am sure you will have some affinity with Chrome as well, so some Chrome OS action for you today. Google has finally announced the first netbooks based on Chrome OS from Samsung and Acer.

These Chromebooks will be available online starting June 15 in U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Spain. Don't live in these countries, don't worry, Google has said the launch will follow soon in other countries too.

The Samsung Chromebook will cost USD 429 for the Wi-Fi only version and USD 499 for the 3G version. Acer's Wi-Fi only Chromebook will cost USD 349.

So, this was for normal consumers, Google is also releasing these for Education and Enterprise markets as well. More about these versions here.

Samsung Chromebook Specs:

• 12.1″ (1280×800) 300 nit Display
  • 3.26 lbs / 1.48 kg
  • 8.5 hours of continuous usage 1
  • Intel® AtomTM Dual-Core Processor
  • Built in dual-band Wi-Fi and World-mode 3G (optional)
  • HD Webcam with noise cancelling microphone
  • 2 USB 2.0 ports
  • 4-in-1 memory card slot
  • Mini-VGA port
  • Fullsize Chrome keyboard
  • Oversize fully-clickable trackpad

Acer Chromebook Specs:
  • 11.6″ HD Widescreen CineCrystalTM LED-backlit LCD
  • 2.95 lbs. | 1.34 kg.
  • 6 hours of continuous usage 1
  • Intel® AtomTM Dual-Core Processor
  • Built in dual-band Wi-Fi and World-mode 3G (optional)
  • HD Webcam with noise cancelling microphone
  • High-Definition Audio Support
  • 2 USB 2.0 ports
  • 4-in-1 memory card slot
  • HDMI port
  • Fullsize Chrome keyboard
  • Oversize fully-clickable trackpad

Extremely worrying from privacy perspective because there will be no distinction between offline and online and everything will be in the cloud, the underlying OS is linux which will run one application - the chrome browser.

Cr-48: Google Chrome notebook hands-on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0Tv9lpFgA&feature=fvst

Here is detailed review. Good read. Note CR-48 is prototype and actual builds are reported to be much faster.

Here is a refresher of what Google Chrome OS, and the newly announced Chromebook are all about:

• The Chromebook is a computer designed to work with Chrome OS
  • It has a special boot process that makes Chrome OS start fast, in 8 seconds
  • The boot process verifies your Chrome OS install ensuring that it is not tampered with and thus free of viruses and other malware. If there is any tampering, the system is repaired automatically
  • The Chromebook supports WiFi and 3G
  • The Chromebook runs Chrome OS
  • Chrome OS is a Linux-based OS that is optimized to run ONLY the Google Chrome browser
  • Chrome OS does not have any applications installed on it other than the Chrome browser
  • One cannot install traditional Windows, Mac OSX, or even Linux apps on Chrome OS
  • All your work needs to be done online using tools such as Google Docs (office applications), Piknik(Image editing), GMail (email), etc.
  • One can install web apps from the Google Chrome Web Store (now including the popular Angry Birds)
  • Chrome OS is stateless. i.e. since all your operations are performed on the cloud your netbook itself stores nothing. You can discard it log in from another device and have the same experience.
  • Chrome OS keeps up to date automatically
  • Chrome OS keeps your data encrypted so even if your device gets lost, your data is safe.

Edited by dipanlahiri

Here are a few official Chrome videos, slick as usual after all made by Google.

why should one pay USD 500 for a glorified mobile device that runs only a browser?

That is the exact question many are asking on the internet. The netbook already offers the functionalities of Chromebook with addition of running full OS and user can install applications. I do not see any sense behind Chromebook and think Google has not given a good product.

But then we have been proved wrong with tablets, many asked why would one pay for oversize iPod.

Hands on: Samsung Series 5 Chromebook

Samsung unveiled its Chromebook Series 5 at an event in San Francisco on Wednesday night. It will be available in black and white, and with either a Wi-Fi only option or Wi-Fi plus 3G. It features a 12.1-inch display, and will be priced at $429 for the Wi-Fi version, and $499 for the Wi-Fi/3G option.

The highlights: the Series 5's touchpad is stiff and clunky. The keyboard appears to offer a bit more travel distance, while still maintaining the Chrome OS key layout: a search key where the "Caps Lock" should be, keys to shift between windows, full-screen keys, and more. The touchpad, meanwhile, is functional, and doesn't require jamming it down to make it work.

Samsung claims that the Series 5 will last 8.5 hours with "active use," even though the chip inside it is now a dual-core Atom N570, according to Intel. Web surfing isn't that CPU-intensive, but now even 480p and even 720p video plays back decently on the 1280 x 800 display, thanks in part to improvements in Flash and the faster chip. Since Google constantly upgrades the Chrome OS, performance should continue to improve.

What's new (versus the Cr-48)? The addition of a card reader, for one, which, when loaded, brings up a rudimentary file manager in a new tab. We're talking basic, basic file attributes and a preview window—one man's "rudimentary" may be another's "optimized." But it's still a bit of a shock. Functions such as Gmail's video chat and Google Talk appear in small panes that "dodge" each other, not allowing one to be placed on top of and obscure the other. A basic, 1-Mpixel Webcam allows videoconferencing.

Samsung made an odd choice of obscuring a USB port and a mini-VGA-out connector on the left-hand side with some sort of rubber shield that will likely annoy users more than anything else. A second USB port on the right-hand side lacks the cover.

Samsung hasn't officially said what's inside the Series 5. There's clearly a GPU and a solid-state disc (SSD), but we haven't confirmed the specs on either. The 802.11b/g/n is complemented by a two-year 3G subscription to Verizon with 100 MB per month for free—that disappears fast, let me tell you. Cheapskates should expect to browse lots of text-based discussion forums. Originally, Google promised the Verizon 3G would last "the life of the device" with the Cr-48, which, if you think about it, may be two years as well; it depends on if you assume "life" isn't the time until it breaks, but the Google's official lifespan of the product. No matter.

Chrome OS's coolest features are the quick boot—under ten seconds—and instant resume. There's no need not to simply close the notebook while walking from place to place. The only drawback is that the OS occasionally resumes faster than the Wi-Fi can connect.

Source: thinkdigit.com here.

Cloud computing is great, but only in combination with "regular" computing. The only reliable way to manage data is to store and back up locally, and also to the cloud.

The Chromebook model requires the user to have a fully functional machine, browser, connection and Web services. Without each and every one of these elements working perfectly, a Chromebook is nothing but a tray for serving snacks.

So Chromebook - fail, especially in 'developing' countries like India where we are subjected to frequent internet connection outages. And cloud based computing is not bulletproof - even heavyweight Amazon's service were disrupted in April, for a week!

• Like 1

^

Could not have said it better myself. But Google obviously has other ideas of making the noncloud OS redundant.

I would have jumped the gun and said this would be a big failure, but I have noted the uncanny similarity of the advertisements for nexus one and chromebook. The nexus one advertisement said “Web Meets Phone” and the chromebook advertisement says "Chromebook: Nothing but the web." Looking at the success of the nexus one, one can no doubt deny Google has the capability to pull it off.

I still feel chromebook would be failure because it is a half baked product and privacy nightmare.

^^^

browsing/mail checking etc, yes. but never seen anyone doing any "computing" on nexus one.

^

What I meant was that the nexus one banked heavily on convergence between offline and online, more so than any other phone till date it was pushing the cloud experience. Chromebook is also doing the same but at the next level where offline OS is no longer required. The nexus one or similar should also have failed in India because not many users even of smartphones are continuously connected to data here. But the nexus one succeeded as it blurred the boundary between user and cloud with it's seamless Google centric experience. It is a massive mindset change for computer users to be asked to do everything from word processing to playing games on the cloud with nothing private from Google's prying eyes. If Google can change computer users in the same way it did for mobile users chromebook will work else fail.

Edited by dipanlahiri

Cloud computing will definitely help the corporates. Charge foe everything. Everytime you want o make a minor addition or change to a file - Bingo the cash register will run.

In Indian conditions, 100% cloud computing is still a distant dream; We need at least an 8-10Mbps broadband background on landline and 3-4Mbps on wireless, for cloud computing to be practical in everyday use...

^

What I meant was that the nexus one banked heavily on convergence between offline and online, more so than any other phone till date it was pushing the cloud experience. Chromebook is also doing the same but at the next level where offline OS is no longer required. The nexus one or similar should also have failed in India because not many users even of smartphones are continuously connected to data here. But the nexus one succeeded as it blurred the boundary between user and cloud with it's seamless Google centric experience. It is a massive mindset change for computer users to be asked to do everything from word processing to playing games on the cloud with nothing private from Google's prying eyes. If Google can change computer users in the same way it did for mobile users chromebook will work else fail.

any smartphone, android or otherwise, has a basic OS that performs certain minimum basic functions even without data connectivity. without that, I wonder whether they would have been successful. A crome OS based device, without data, is nothing but a brick.

^

Correct and this is why I think it is not going be successful but it is a pathbreaking initiative nonetheless and as the cloud evolves more such devices could appear where all data is in cloud and the user device is nothing but thin client. I vociferously oppose such devices for privacy concerns.

ChromiumPC will be the first desktop to run Google’s Chrome OS

The creator of the Modular computer, Xi3 is going to be the first company to bring the Chrome OS to the desktop realm, using a revamped version of it, called ChromiumPC.

The Xi3 Modular computer can easily fit in your hand as it’s really small and houses three interconnected modules – one for the processor as well as primary and secondary I/O modules. The whole thing is encased in an aluminum body, which might to us bears slight resemblance to a toaster, but is certainly among the world’s smallest desktop PC.

Source:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110520006214/en/Xi3-Corporation-Announces-ChromiumPC-Modular-Computer-%E2%80%93

http://blog.gsmarena.com/chromiumpc-will-be-the-first-desktop-to-run-google%E2%80%99s-chrome-os/

This does not make any sense to me, why would anyone build a desktop with an OS that is only for cloud?

First of all I apologize to moderators & admins for blindly posting same information(regarding Xi3 desktop with chromeos) as the above person, since there is no way for me to delete this post, i am editing this.

Secondly, coming to the chrome os, cloud computing is far away from being useful or used by normal people,not only in india but in the entire world, as it requires seamless internet connectivity. And chromeos, it would have been a good choice, if it offers an option for working offline in addition to the cloud computing. So, not only chromeos books but also chromeos also may not get a good reception atleast from normal people. Some of the corporations may use the chrome os.

Edited by st_7

Amazon and Best Buy have started taking advance orders for Chromebooks, lightweight laptops running Google's Chrome OS. The Chromebooks are set to start shipping June 15, and orders are limited to the U.S. right now, but Google promises to release them in other countries this year.