Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
digitalnirvana

Airtel Launches New Facebook No Internet-Required Access Service In India

Airtel has launched the world’s first USSD-based Facebook access service in India, a way to access the everyone’s favourite social network without an internet connection. Airtel users will be able to update their Facebook status for free, and, for Rs. 1 a day, view/comment/Like news feeds, post on walls, confirm friend requests, find and add friends, and view notifications.

Because USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) is a session-based communication, unlike SMS, which is transaction-based, it has significantly faster response times, and is more suited for content-based and interactive applications. It functions somewhat like a menu-based browser. The technology is unique to GSM, and is a built-in way to transmit data over signal channels. Airtel’s USSD solution is based on Fonetwish, developed by U2opia Mobile.

Commenting on the service, Mr. Henri Moissinac, Head of Mobile Business, Facebook said:

“At Facebook, we are always exploring ways to enable people to easily connect and share with friends on Facebook wherever they are, whenever they want...This innovative USSD-based Facebook access service that will be offered by Airtel is another affordable and easy way for people to stay connected with their friends and family through Facebook.”

airtel-fonetwish-320.jpg

Source: thinkdigit.com here.

• Like 2

previous.gif I guess this might be ok for someone using a VERY basic phone. Even a phone that can run Java and a lower version of Opera Mini will prolly find access thru USSD menu an awful experience.
  • Like 1

Good for basic phone owners :: :previous:

This Airtel innovation for FACEBOOK updates at Rs 1 per day reminds me of the Movie FACE/OFF....

51PA6GT8TBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Because Airtel will deduct Rs 1 per day from the Prepaid Users whether they have used the service or not and present it's Nicholas Cage (Villain) Face instead of John Travolta (Hero)...

One More Innovative Method of Looting... And Since it's meant for Basic Phone Owners... They won't even understand what hit them...

then-it-hit-me-baby-disney-mickey-mouse-demotivational-poster-1287376504.jpg

Edited by rajanmehta
  • Like 2

:previous:

Haha... Very nice and also VERY VERY TRUE...

They can easily activate this pack to uncles and aunties who keeps their balance above hundred for months without much usage and can easily su©k their blood... Other young users, who are all aware of and much interested in facebook, must be using atleast a GPRS enabled phone with Opera-Mini as Raccoon ji told...

Edited by KanagaDeepan

previous.gif Raccoon ji !!! I'm glad you are so respectful to us wild animals too.... grin.gif Edited by raccoon

:previous:

Raccoon bhai, I remember once calling you "The great Mighty_Eagle of AngryBirds"... I told that as a compliment for your anger against unethical operators, just like me... Further I thought you may be taking it easily.. But if it hurt you in any-single-way, I really feel very very sorry about that comment :NOTriste: and please forgive me... Sorry...

Edited by KanagaDeepan

previous.gif Hey I was not hurt in any-single-way! There was nothing offensive in what you said. Chillax. :)