Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FEVIN-RAJ

Samsung Plans To Buy Nokia

Samsung is rumoured to be looking into a bid for Nokia's handset arm, according to online sources.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that 'market speculation' is linking the Korean firm with the ailing phone manufacturer, just a week after Microsoft was rumoured to be doing the same thing.

However, both Nokia and Samsung have kept quiet on the subject, according to the WSJ, with Samsung stating: "It seems like a market rumor and we don't comment on rumors

The Finnish handset maker is currently mired in dire financial straits. After a brutal second half of 2010 that saw them surrender 25 percent of their market share, Nokia’s outlook continues to look bleak. They now deem it “no longer appropriate” to provide annual targets for 2011. In other words, the future looks so bad, they would just rather not talk about it.

Back in February, when Nokia shocked the mobile world with their announcement to adopt Windows Phone as their “primary smartphone platform,” they promised not to immediately abandon Symbian, the OS that has powered their phones for years.

“Symbian becomes a franchise platform, leveraging previous investments to harvest additional value. This strategy recognizes the opportunity to retain and transition the installed base of 200 million Symbian owners. Nokia expects to sell approximately 150 million more Symbian devices in the years to come.”

However, it is difficult to imagine mobile phone vendors pushing devices that they (and the public) know will eventually be phased out. And without any Nokia Windows Phones for sale at the moment, Nokia may find themselves in a precarious position before the fruits of their new deal are ever released.

Nokia chief Stephen Elop vehemently denied earlier rumors that Microsoft was in talks to buy Nokia. Both Samsung and Nokia chose to not “comment on rumors” but did not deny the possibility of such a deal

• Like 2

Whoa where did this come from? There is no convergence - Nokia uses Symbian and WP, Samsung uses Bada and Android. Manufacturing will be cheaper at Samsung already, unless Nokia has some high value innovations I doubt this will add value to Samsung. Plus it is tricky to place these two competing brands so that Nokia does not eat into Samsung's share and vice versa. Samsung might want to capitalize on Nokia's brand image especially in India by targeting Nokia towards price conscious market, and taking the high end market for itself. Similar to what HP did to Compaq. But then it will effectively devalue Nokia's brand image which is the only asset it has left.

That's Exciting news. I hate Nokia anyways,

From customer point of view, I feel this may not be good. Both brands should grow, then only we will have wide variety.

:previous: +1 to that. Though I have hated Nokia, this does not sound good...

First M$ trying to buy Nokia... Now SAMSUNG... Next who??? May be GFive???

It just reminds me of one old saying, "When Lioness gets fever,........"

Edited by KanagaDeepan

It is high time Nokia switches to Android otherwise they are just going to die. They can do wonders with Android. This merger (if true) is bad for consumers. I would hate to see a company like Nokia going down. They should reinvent themselves with Android.

• Like 2

@kkdeep: Yeah, very true. If nokia ties up with android then for sure Nokia will give other contenders a run. Come on Nokia time to buck up!

:previous:

But that is NOT at all possible till the M$'s Trojan Horse is in Nokia...

i dont think this is gonna happen anytime sooner with nokia.What nokia needs is to bring out their android platform handsets and take market with strom, which till they are with M/S doesnt seem coming as well.IMO.

It is high time Nokia switches to Android otherwise they are just going to die. They can do wonders with Android. This merger (if true) is bad for consumers. I would hate to see a company like Nokia going down. They should reinvent themselves with Android.

@kkdeep: Yeah, very true. If nokia ties up with android then for sure Nokia will give other contenders a run. Come on Nokia time to buck up!

i dont think this is gonna happen anytime sooner with nokia.What nokia needs is to bring out their android platform handsets and take market with strom, which till they are with M/S doesnt seem coming as well.IMO.

I can't figure out why people are so sure NOKIA will be successful if they entered Android... What I think is they can't light a candle near the speed at which Samsung/HTC even MOTO/LG are moving...

Friends it is the NOKIA, which always bring RETARDED FLAGSHIPS... Remember N97 or N96??? They are too KANJOOOS to give more RAM or good processing power to even their flagships... I am sure an N97 with CAPACITIVE touch + 256 MB RAM (it has 128MB only) + 600MHz processor (at its release) would have received less bashings from tech-sites... But they repeated the same mistake to N97 mini too...

Even if they introduced one Android device as flagship, can you guess the specs??? It will be 256MB RAM like in N8 (less than that of POP), 800MHz processor, 3.5" HVGA screen, 1200mAh battery like in N8... The only saving grace will be a GOOD camera comparing any android phone makers...

Sure they are having plans to release DualCore WP7 phone, but when??? When Sammy and HTC starts offering quadCore CPU equipped phones... Another thing, they release one FLAGSHIP (SURELY under speced) once every TWO years...

Under speeced S60 phone is no issue as their users are NOT that tech-savvy or geeks as android users... If they entered Android race, surely they would have lost, imho... So NOKIA NOT-SELECTING Android is good for both Android and Nokia...

• Like 2

:previous:

Rightly said

:clap:

i dont see any value proposition or benefit that samsung will get from Nokia. Samsung already has presence in all the markets and i dont think it can do anything in low value handset market.

I feel its similar to ebay buying skype only realised that its of no use. similarly, samsung can get access to some research of nokai, but then are they worthy. time will tell.. besides nokia is also loosing its brand loyalty at much faster pace.

^

EBay bought Skype for $2.6B in 2005 and sold to Microsoft for $8.5B.

Oops this was reply to Karthik but his post is vanished.

Edited by dipanlahiri

:previous: I had deleted the post to avoid confusion, before you posted the reply! I doubted whether the deal came through - did a wiki search.