Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
st_7

Review: My experience with Windows 8 Consumer Preview

^ Thanks for such an extensive review & comments. Quite helpful. +1

^^^

Second that. Nice review.

Emission of Close option is really ridiculous.

But the Cloud computing and Market Place to download applications is very useful.

post-24516-007472500 1282196127_thumb.jp

just great - nice helpful and to the point

Windows has added lots of new long awaited features like u said mounting drive, fast boot, secure boot from malware like IE, updating windows once in a month with all the updates at one go, factory reset like on mobile devices, faster transition & not to forget Win mobile type lockscreen. But i think adding metro ui (rather forcing metro ui on a non touch device seems a bit odd. They are trying to go mobile way by creating more of internet kind of os (by integrating windows live, mail, etc.) But certainly they are missing a few key features like closing an app, start menu button and also a button to shut down the pc. as a consumer, i rather found it too confusing and a hybrid of mobile os/ui & computer os which is difficult to use....

Superb Man!!! so nice +1 for u

@st_7

Thanks for the great review. +1 for the good one. :)

It is expected and rational that Metro UI will be the main UI because the exact same Win8 will run on x86 and ARM or in other words on PCs and tablets.

@ M S Raju,

Wonderful review, keep it up... :thumbup:

I installed MS Office, chrome and other required apps gtalk, skype etc. all these apps are not integrated with Metro UI. so whenever you run these, it goes to desktop mode, similar to win7 and look and feel is exactly that of win7, without start button. Even the control panel is the same.So i feel that metro UI is just a "layer" over and above desktop.

WINDOWS 8 RP REVIEW:-

What has changed from Win 8 CP to Win 8 RP:

1. Gone is the fish image in the center with blue bakground booting screen(which I never liked), now you see full black background screen wit "Windows" word in white letters in the middle of the screen during booting. The new booting screen is very nice & simple.
  2. In Win 8 CP, I couldn't use metro apps except 'reader' unless I sign in with my Microsoft Account(e-mail). But in Win 8 RP, you can use metro apps(which doesn't require Internet connection) like music, videos, etc., without any loging in required, which is fantastic.
  3. Overall the UI in Win 8 RP feels so refined(may be it just me feeling that).
  4. The basic Metro aps does the work they supposed to in a simple & effective way:

• Mail app: You can set it up to use with one of your Microsoft E-mail account. To add other account just hover your mouse to the bottom-right corner or top-right corner for charms bar, then on charms bar Settings --> Accounts--> Add Account, to remove a account or changes the settings of the account Settings(charms bar) --> Accounts --> click on the account you want to remove or change the settings for then you are given a host of options like the frequency of account syncing etc,. and you can remove the account from there itself. post-75464-0-03631700-1338644425_thumb.gpost-75464-0-84724900-1338644456_thumb.gpost-75464-0-07668200-1338644482_thumb.gpost-75464-0-33732800-1338644498_thumb.g
  • People app: You can set it up with Microsoft & you can sync contacts from other accounts like: Facebook, Google, Linkedin, Twitter etc, by adding those accounts to the app, for adding an account hover your mouse to the bottom-right corner or top-right corner for charms bar, then on charms bar Settings --> Accounts--> Add Account
  • Message app: You can sign in with your MSN & you can also add your facebook account.
  • Photos app: You can set it up to sync your flickr, facebook, skydrive, other deivces(cameras) photos and ofcourse you can local library too.
  • Video app: You can add a local library or you can simply navigate to the desired video file within the video app.
  • Music app: You can add a local library or you can simply navigate to the desired audio file within the music app.
  • News, Sports, Finance apps do work & display the local content if you allow them to use your location(you will be asked to do so at first setup during the installation process), you can turn off the option which allows apps to use your location in PC settings --> Privacy.

post-75464-0-10472300-1338641461_thumb.j

5. Among all Weather app is wonderful, the main screen displays the Weather forecast for next 5-6 days, scroll horizontally you will get hourly weather forecast of the present day, scroll further you will get a graph with Historical stats of the weather of your city of whole year, not only that they divided the Historical weather stats into three categories namely Temperature, Rainfall & Sunshine, if you select Temperature category(below the graph) the stats of the temperature of complete year will be displayed in the graph & further if you select a month in the graph the corresponding stats of the selected month will be displayed adjacent(right side) to the graph. All in all this is the best weather app I've seen so far. See the below pictures to know what I'm saying.

post-75464-0-60374700-1338641278_thumb.jpost-75464-0-32563100-1338641303_thumb.jpost-75464-0-14194200-1338641378_thumb.jpost-75464-0-42863500-1338641392_thumb.jpost-75464-0-18337100-1338641402_thumb.jpost-75464-0-50921700-1338641361_thumb.j

Tips:

1) By default the Windows 8 RP doesn't contain Media Center Enabled, to enable the Media Center on your system, you need to upgrade or add new features by using the following the following key: MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7, Go to My computer Properties, Click "View Details in windows Activaton" under windows activation details", then click "Add Features" and follow the onscreen options & use the given key when asked.

2) Every Metro App has it's own settings, access these settings by hovering your mouse at bottom-right or top-right corner to get the charms bar & on charms bar you can access the settings of the particular app. The options you get under settings depends on the app you selected.

3) You can get old start menu using 'Classic Shell' & 'Vistart' Softwares & enjoy both Metro UI as well as classic Aero Desktop in Windows 8 RP.

4) Allow apps to use your location to get the location relevant content on the Metro apps, you can enable this option while setting up the system first time during the installation or by going to PC Settings --> Privacy

5) This is more an opinion of mine than a tip on Reset PC feature that Microsoft introduced with Win 8 CP. I used this to test it out. To start with it asks the Installation Source to copy some missing files to start the RESET process, once you provide the Installation Source, it asks to you to wipe all the drives or the only the drive on which Win 8 is installed, obvisiouly we choose the later one, then it asks how to wipe the selected drives(like slow or fast format) here also we choose fast wipe option unless we need the slow one. Then it starts the process, restarts the PC, Reset's the PC, after that it reboots, now it asks for product key & you can skip entering it too, unlike in normal installation procedure, where you have to enter the product key before itself & you can't skip entering the key. Then the normal first time system set up procedures to follow. All this process took about 15-minutes on my system. I think normal installation procedure is much more than this.

• Like 3

Is it commercially released ? if not when it is releasing..

wonderful review......very informative