Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
mujeebrehman

Swiftkey 3 Beta Starts To Make The Spacebar Obsolete

SwiftKey 3 beta starts to make the spacebar obsolete

swiftkey3.jpg

SwiftKey -- the Android Central 2011 keyboard of the year -- has declared war on the spacebar. Never mind that its April Fool's joke actually was to introduce the world's longest spacebar. The latest update to SwiftKey -- dubbed SwiftKey 3 -- introduces, among other features, Smart Space.

Traditionally, Android keyboards use the spacebar as a means to select a suggested word. Or, perhaps, to put a space in a sentence. Or to insert a period at the end of a sentence. Smart Space takes advantage of SwiftKey's Fluency prediction engine and goes a step further than any other keyboard we've used. You no longer have to put spaces between words when typing. (It does still do the traditional space and punctuation thing, though.)

OK, so that's nottosayyouwantotypelikethisforanextendedperiodoftime. But for small groups of words, SwiftKey 3 can take something like "jerryistheneckbeardking" and turn it into "Jerry is the neckbeard king," all without you having to do anything but type the letters. We've been using SwiftKey 3 for several weeks now, and the results really are remarkable.

Other additions in SwiftKey 3 are two new themes. There's "Cobalt," which matches SwiftKey's redesign, and "Holo," which was voted on by its VIP community. And we're only half-joking about getting rid of the spacebar. It's actually been made a little bigger in this release. Punctuation has been moved around, too, with the comma, period, question mark and exclamation point all sharing a key. (Some of us aren't too thrilled with that move.) Seven more languages have been added -- Korean, Estonia, Farsi, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian and Serbian -- for a total of 42.

You've really got to try this one out to believe it. One slight catch here -- SwiftKey 3's still in beta, and you can only get it through their VIP community. So hit the link below and give it a shot. It's available for tablets and smartphones. Demo video's after the break.

Source

P.S I am attaching my dropbox links for the beta apk files for both phone and tablet versions for this Android Central 2011 keyboard of the year app.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52694505/SwiftKey3_Beta-3.0.0.96.apk This is for phones.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52694505/SwiftKey3Tablet_Beta-3.0.0.96.apk This is for tablets.

• Like 3

Most of us use sms lingo in vernacular languages (like Hindi in my case).

So I doubt how much useful will it be for us. I even keep auto correct disabled because otherwise it interferes with the words.

SwiftKey can learn words from your sms app, facebook twitter accounts. And eventually you will be amazed by the way it predicts words.

Prior to this I was using SwiftKeyx paid version for long time so I can vouch for that. And with this version it seems to get better. I also like the new layout and themes. I would really suggest to give it a try.

P.S I forgot to link the youtube video of the demo. (read not a morning person) Please check the source link for the video to get a feel of it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

SwiftKey is awesome.

Is it better than Swype?

I feel typing discreet alphabets will take more time than swyping. Swype adds space bar automatically when a new word is swyped, so no need to use the space bar. And also Swype can learn from SMS and other inputs (e.g. while typing text in Word or Excel file etc). I can swype really fast even Benglish (Bangla in English alphabets) as I've added most commonly used Bangla words in Swype.

Ummm... I am not a heavy typer, so can't comment authoritatively.

No, i guess, It may not be better than SWYPE.

But SwiftKey's prediction engine is real good. The way it constructs sentences by putting necessary words is amazing.

I think an expert typer like you may achieve similar speeds in both.

I have been using this for quite awhile. Just installed the new version. Looks good. I gave up swype a long time ago and find this a lot better.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

My experience too syncs with tanveer. I was die hard swyper and tried various other apps with features similar to swype. But the moment i started using swiftkey there was no turning back. I feel it is quite easy to type on swift key and I can manage to type my stuff within a few keystrokes as the prediction is insanely perfect. This app is like wine gets better with age as it keeps learning all the words that you input. Again swype too does that but the accuracy in predication is a real game changer for me.

SwiftKey can learn words from your sms app, facebook twitter accounts. And eventually you will be amazed by the way it predicts words.

Prior to this I was using SwiftKeyx paid version for long time so I can vouch for that. And with this version it seems to get better. I also like the new layout and themes. I would really suggest to give it a try.

P.S I forgot to link the youtube video of the demo. (read not a morning person) Please check the source link for the video to get a feel of it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the nice explanation. Lagta hai ek baar try karna hi padega.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

Guiness world record is still with swype, [see here] (unbroken since it was set by Melissa Thompson on 22nd Aug 2010 inn UK) and this patented product is the most popular smart-phone input system. There must be some reason to be the fastest and most popular.

Well, there can be personal choice always for products or applications to be used. e.g. I love Swype. And I wanted to post my view here because of the topic's heading (SwiftKey makes space bar obsolete). Swype made it also. There is no need to use the space bar.

Me too shifted to SwiftKey from swype. The predictions are insanely awesome.

It's not about typing fast, but how easy its to write a message for you.

Want a keyboard which has a swype function and which can also predict words like SwiftKey does.

Swyping is easy than tapping the screen, but predictions stresses your brain less. Both keyboard have their pros and cons. Pick whichever is suitable for your needs.

For me SwiftKey is sufficient.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

• Like 2

I think swype is much appropriate for tablets or phablets where screen is large and tapping with both the thumb is not possible.

Tapping with one finger is slow on large screen (you have to hold the tablet with your other hand.). This offer where swype comes to the rescue. You can hold the device with your one has ever and swype with the other.

• Like 1

Me too shifted to SwiftKey from swype. The predictions are insanely awesome.

It's not about typing fast, but how easy its to write a message for you.

Want a keyboard which has a swype function and which can also predict words like SwiftKey does.

Swyping is easy than tapping the screen, but predictions stresses your brain less. Both keyboard have their pros and cons. Pick whichever is suitable for your needs.

For me SwiftKey is sufficient.

+1 Can't be explained any better than this. i completely agree with you man! And as Sougata bhai said it is a matter of pure personal choice.

• Like 2

^^^ Agree with the above totally

Guys using Swiftkey 3 beta i guess by now you may already know that the your current version has expired and it will no longer predict the words for you. In that case please download these current versions depending on your device i.e phone or tablet. Once you install it will replace the old version from your phone and will also save the predilections that it had learned from your typing habits. Following are the dropbox links for apks please download as per your device.

1. PHONE VERSION

2. TABLET VERSION

You can directly download it form here Hope this helps..

Thanks a lot. I had rolled back to swiftkey X 2.xx yesterday because of the same reason

So the NEW Swype beta can be installed even if your phone has a pre-installed built in version. Both can coexist.

And comes with the 'Hinglish' Language option for indians. Awesome!

Now will recognise words like chaai, desi, garam, masti and thousands of other hindi words!

Don't forget to select 'Hinglish' as default language after installtion if you want to.

Register for beta and download from here >> http://beta.swype.com/

:previous:

I have used both but my preference is Swype - because of the convenient easy flow :)

^ Installed it and it works very fine for our "hinglish" language!!

^^^ definitely some Indian at work... kidding. good to know that developers are now recognising Indian requirements and developing apps for us.

I shifted from Swype to Swift key and now this... :doh: