Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
basant.motlani

No extra charge for SMS on blackout days now!

Trai has issued directive to operators for not charging extra beyond customers existing tariff plans.

will opeartors follow this? still picture not clear.

Don't charge extra on calls, SMS on 'blackout' days: Trai to telcos

Business Standard

Piyali Mandal / New Delhi Sep 15, 2012, 14:42 IST

In a customer-friendly move, telecom sector Trai today barred mobile phone operators from charging the users beyond their existing tariff plans on 'blackout days' like Diwali and New Year.

'Blackout days' refer to the day on which the service providers do not allow free or concessional voice calls and SMS offered by them under any plan or package, such as festivals like Diwali, Holi and others.

For example, if a users buys a prepaid offer which allows him to make STD calls at a concessional rate of 50 paise per minute, then on a “black out” day operators usually charges the normal rate of one rupee a minute instead of the concessional rate.

In a note, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said the new guidelines are issued “to ensure that the consumer is not charged for calls or SMSs on ‘blackout’ days exceeding the rate in the tariff plan in which he is enrolled.”

Trai said consumers have to be given intimation prior to start of every blackout day and the date/occasion of the blackout day shall be intimated.

A list of blackout days applicable for the calendar year shall be displayed on the website of service providers, before start of every calendar year and shall be published, service area wise, along with the tariff plans of the service provider, every six months, the regulator added.

The new guidelines are in addition to those already in place as per which the number of blackout days shall not exceed five in a calendar year and no alteration in any such date is allowed after the package is subscribed by the consumer.

Key highlights of Trai guideline:

* Charges for calls or SMSs on ‘blackout’ should not exceed the rate in the tariff plan in which he is enrolled.

* Number of blackout days shall not exceed five in a calendar year.

* A list of blackout days applicable for the calendar year should be displayed on the website of service providers,

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/dont-charge-extracalls-smsblackout-days-trai-to-telcos/186965/on

Very good initiative by TRAI.

Operators loot public during the blackout days.

• Haha 1

We opt for SMS packs so that we can use them on special occasions like festivals.but when the operators charge 50 paise for a single SMS when we really need it,it's just cheating. Good to see trai waking up finally but I'll believe it when this gets implemented

Sent from my rotary phone

We opt for SMS packs so that we can use them on special occasions like festivals.but when the operators charge 50 paise for a single SMS when we really need it,it's just cheating. Good to see trai waking up finally but I'll believe it when this gets implemented

It does not mean that your sms pack will work on blackout days.

Simple means that

Suppose you are on a reliance simple 99 plan where sms to local numbers and std numbers is 50p.

Suppose you have opted a Rs 64 pack that gives 2000 free Local + national sms free.

Now what reliance does it that it charges Re 1 for local and Rs 1.5 for national sms on blackout days.

But after this rule reliance will only be able to charge 50p per sms as that is a part of your base tariff..

Thats what I have interpreted, please correct me if I am wrong. :)

• Like 3

Nothing Changes.

- Still on Black-out day your SMS packs will not work

- On black-out days you will be charged your tariff plan base rate (the new Reliance prepaid plans have Rs. 1 & Rs. 1.50 SMS Rate)

- The only advantage I think is for customers who go for Reliance GSM master plan where the base tariff itself is 5p/SMS

Nothing Changes.

- On black-out days you will be charged your tariff plan base rate (the new Reliance prepaid plans have Rs. 1 & Rs. 1.50 SMS Rate)

The sms rates are Re 1 and 1.5 in reliance but are cheaper in other operators.

According to TRAI

9. And whereas in view of the provisions contained in the Telecommunication Consumers Protection Regulations, 2012, referred to in the para 7 and the provisions of the Telecommunication Tariff Order, 1999 referred to in the preceding para, the service providers are not entitled to charge the consumers for calls or SMS at a rate exceeding the rate in the tariff plan in which the consumer is enrolled;

You will be charged the amount for calls and SMS that you are being charged Without any STV. And most of the operators have 1.2p/sec as the rate in their plans and 50p - 70p as the sms rates. It is still better than spending Rs 1.5 for STD calls and SMS on black out days.

And if you analyze it closely then after this rule comes into effect, calling will be cheaper on blackout days as compared to texting :)

So if you have recharged a Rs 58 pack on your reliance (58 is a plan voucher) You will be charged as per the below tariff even on blackout days.

Capture.jpg

Edited by sujit_k

i disagree:

its only 'cheating' if the operator does not notify you in advance for exsiting subscribers

or at the time of purchase of any pack for new users

each operator should have the right to charge more during peak days to help reduce congestion

or they should stop offering any sms pack below cost

let the free market determine the choice of customers

i'm even against the arbitrary limit of 5 days / year

again mkt forces should let anyone decide on any number of blackout days

competition will prevent any single operator from having excessive blackouts

nowhere else in the civilised world does any regulator set mobile tariffs

not even china!

transparency must be maintained to avoid any hidden charges / fees

• Like 1

Now the telecom operators will simply change the base tariff of SMS to Rs1.50 or even Rs3.00 and they can continue to loot on SMS black out days too LEGALLY with TRAI's blessings...

Lets see what happens tomorrow :P

Its a blackout day in most of the telecom circles :-(

On my parents Reliance CDMA number they recd sms from reliance that on 12th & 13th NOV sms charges will be as per base tariff plan that is Rs1 per sms sended on this 2 days.

Another irritating thing is when there are blackout days in a month, they are included in the free sms days even though the customers are charged for it. For example 12th & 13th November are blackout days here in chennai. But for the purposes of the sms pack, these two days will also be counted as part of the 30 days. I don't know Wtf TRAI is doing while these telecom companies are blatantly ripping us off.

Just received message from MTS that base tariff Rs.1/1.5/5 will be charged tomorrow and for the next day.

:-/

Rs.1 and 1.5 is the base tariff of your plan.

But airtel sms charges apply as per your bill plan on 13th nov in postpaid.Recieved SMS