Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
admirer2000

Digital Set Top Box for TV - Compulsory from 31/10/12 (metros) or 31/12/14 (other cities)

@commonman; One reason that STB is made mandatory is the gross under reporting of subscriber numbers. It is beleived that the actual number may be at least 5x that reported. Obviously if this piracy is checked do not expect much percuniary benefit. What you should get it bettter signal quality , and maybe HD and Stereo channels.

kindly please read my post again.

my parental house belongs to original Conditional Access System (i.e. STB based) area and I have experienced it for nearly a decade.

I can assure you that you DO NOT get better signal quality through cable based STB.

The Signal quality in Cable based STB is not that great as compared to DTH and even after getting STB from cable wala we are at his mercy as any failure at his end we end up loosing signal.In a city like Chennai wherein CAS was introduced long back people protested against STB saying why do we need to pay 200-300 rs for channels we dont watch while we are happy with cable wala's FTA Free to Air Channels paying 100 rs.This time will be interesting to see what happens as STB becomes mandatory.My guess just like MNP implementation will be postponed by another few months for some reason or other as Chennai and Kolkatta opposed its implementation in July I guess we shall be in for a repeat telecast

There is no logic behind implementation of STB .Govt wants to know the exact number of subscribers to plug the loopholes and avoid loss of revenues due to greedy cable walas who are misquoting the number far below the actual figure.

And also broadcasters will get benefitted and their revenue increases.

But for all this why should consumer pay?????????? :ranting:

@commonman; One reason that STB is made mandatory is the gross under reporting of subscriber numbers. It is beleived that the actual number may be at least 5x that reported. Obviously if this piracy is checked do not expect much percuniary benefit. What you should get it bettter signal quality , and maybe HD and Stereo channels.

kindly please read my post again.

my parental house belongs to original Conditional Access System (i.e. STB based) area and I have experienced it for nearly a decade.

I can assure you that you DO NOT get better signal quality through cable based STB.

Decade old STBs - earlier used - were analog and what we are suppose to get now is Digital STBs.

In Chennai also, we earlier used analog STBs and quality was better compared to direct Cable supply. Then we switched over to DTH and found still a better quality. Hence, sure the Digital STB offered now has to enhance the picture quality.

Does the regularly being used Coaxial cables also contributes any roll in this picture quality? Do the Service providers are suppose to use Optic cables now to provide the assured superior quality or not?

Edited by admirer2000

Cable Operator in my area in Delhi is asking for Rs. 1300 for a SD STB. Its Cisco's STB.

But in no way, they will give a receipt for selling us that STB. (No proof of purchase).

My neighbor has installed it for his 2 TVs. The cable operator is charging 200 + 100 (for additional TV) = Total 300/month for 2 TVs.

Around 600 Channels (almost all of them). We asked the cable guy whether he is giving so cheap subscription for now and will the charges will go up as per the channels subscribed from November next month?

He said that the subscription charges will not change and will remain the same.

I am very confused what to do? Whether opt for Cable STB or a D2H service.

:previous:

In Chennai, couple of Cable TV Operators started collecting Rs.500 per STB.

Rs.500 per STB any ideas about the quality in mean is it like the Free TV the Govt gave has a life as long as it runs once gone cant repaired junk it type?

^^^

No idea . . . whether it is SD or HD or . . .

Time left out is short now; if at all, the users share more & more details, it will be helpful to take decision which STB to settle for.

The person who claimed as a "Technical Expert" is also silent when we posed doubts under this topic :(

confusion.jpg

^^^

No idea . . . whether it is SD or HD or . . .

Time left out is short now; if at all, the users share more & more details, it will be helpful to take decision which STB to settle for.

The person who claimed as a "Technical Expert" is also silent when we posed doubts under this topic :(

confusion.jpg

See as far as I see it I am guessing we will have another postponement on the cards so play wait and watch game.July 31st was the first target now October which in all probability go to Feb 2013 or even later who knows so wait and watch would be my suggestion

Only chennai lags in digitization.

so chennai may be given extesion of 15 days.

Rs500 scheme will be failed, they will definately ask more money via emi or monthly subsciption.

i request all chennai user to buy DTH, and be safe from these schemes.

Sent from my HuaweiU8300 using Tapatalk

that's a good deal for digital - in mumbai they are asking for rs. 800

^

We don't know whether the make & quality are same so waiting for some feedback from different users :scarerun:

its possible the make is not identical

but quality of DIGITAL stb should be very similar else it defeats the point of the 'digitalisation' exercise

^

We don't know whether the make & quality are same so waiting for some feedback from different users :scarerun:

^These DTH types are already existing and not the one mentioned by TRAI. They charge hefty amount and limited channels as compared to the new one announced. When Govt. announced the new Cable STB system, all these oldies have taken a new avadhar as if they are the new TRAI's mentioned.

The Dish + STB as a set are mostly offered free by almost all DTH service providers (On Returnable Basis) and charged initially for installation of the Dish as 'One time Installation Cost'.

From TRAI's recommendations, No. of channels offered were more thru Cable Network + STB (and NO Dish at user end) with Digital quality at competitive rates and pay channels for what you opt, at affordable prices.

Edited by admirer2000

^^^

I am a satisfied customer of Videocon D2h for nearly 30 months now, out of which first 24 months was free. I got a 26" LCD TV with in built DTH receiver. The "one time installation" was also free. The advantage of in-built receiver is that there is no extra box to hang and there is only one remote

I have the Diamond package that now cost me 3840 for 400 days (after considering 25 days free on annual recharge and 3% discount for online recharge) or roughly 288 per month incl. service tax and I get practically every single channel I need including all cartoon channels, sports channels and regional language channels . I have inquired from the local cable fellow. For the same channels, the monthly charge would be more than 300.

Edited by commonman
  • Like 2

^ Now we pay for what you are offered and not what you opt.

In our building we have taken STBs for 800/-per box and first connection charge is 200/-and every subsequent tv will be charged as 100/- each per month for nearly all the routine channels no different packs are offered.

In our building we have taken STBs for 800/-per box and first connection charge is 200/-and every subsequent tv will be charged as 100/- each per month for nearly all the routine channels no different packs are offered.

Thanks for the information - Please share the STB's make, model, specs avl in the decal. How about the picture quality now compared to earlier service?

It will be helpful for us to compare with other STBs being offered.

Thanks for the information - Please share the STB's make, model, specs avl in the decal. How about the picture quality now compared to earlier service?

It will be helpful for us to compare with other STBs being offered.

Let me share the information of our STB in Calcutta.

Make - Chinese, branded as Siti Digital (cable company is called Siti Cable)

Model - HD

Channels - Total approx 300, 9 HD rest SD.

Picture quality - for SD channels is on par with earlier analog cable - no improvements, no deterioration too. For HD it is much improvement over analog SD cable.

Cost - INR 2600

The UI is quite impressive for a Chinese make STB but lacks user friendliness of Tata Sky.

I would recommend Videocon D2H rather than cable STB for features and price.