Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
thilak.kmb

Password Manager for PC/Laptop

Searched forums and couldnt find the answer.

With so many logins and so many passwords it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of all the passwords. We have started using the "forgot password" option more frequently. Arent we?

Whats more almost every other website we use is asking for logins. For sites such as this forum we dont have to change the password and thats good. :Sorprendido: .

But for more secure site such as the banks require regular change of password. Adding to the confusion is the condition that the new pw should not be similar to the previous one and that it should not be the same as x earlier ones.

Now my doubt is that whether any of the free pw managers available out there is reliable. Any user experience will be very much useful if shared. Both the pros and cons.

How secure they are? I mean any malfunctioning of the pwm will affect the login or not. Can we override the pwm whenever required?

What about the regular change of pw. Will it be taken care of by the pwm automatically or done manually?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think any password manager software available can change the password automatically. It has to be done through the website for which you want to change and then replace the existing password in the password manager. Roboform is good and it has free version also. With the paid version (Roboform Anywhere with yearly subscription) you can use it in multiple devices (PC, smartphone, etc.) as the logins will be saved in the cloud.

Is it sage to give all your passwords to one software/website? What if someone hacks that website. Scary.

So far I have stored all my passwords in an excel sheet but it is not as convenient as a dedicated software.

I now just use chrome with sync on all my laptops/PCs/phones and it works just fine.

Have tried all types of software earlier for passwords but none were really good.

Then I started using firefox with sync to an ftp account but once chrome came up with sync i found it to be the best. Just login with gmail account and it syncs passwords and bookmarks etc.

Only problem is secure accounts like bank etc which won't be saved for which i use blackberry vault and keep updating them whenever i change them. Its a little PITA but better than trusting 3rd party apps with bank or visa/mc passwords

Edited by ami1

KeePass Password Safe >> http://keepass.info/

This is free open source password manager & stores all password in database which is locked with one single password. It can be run from USB pen drive too as there is no installation/registry keys created. It's a single directory.

LastPass >> https://lastpass.com/

If one is comfortable with password storage in cloud, it's a free online password manager. Once you create the free account with a master password, it can store/import all your passwords. Download and it will install browser extentions for IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari browsers. It can auto input login passwords in various sites as well as help in generating stronger passwords. If you forget the master password, there is no way to recover all other passwords.

There is a premium version for $1 per month which also works for iPhone, Android, Blackberry & Symbian S60 phones.

Why use LastPass? VIDEO

• Like 1

Used KeePass.

• Like 1

^^^

Any reason for not using currently?

I used avast Easypass for one year, was quite OK. I am thinking of renewing the licence. Any other reliable alternatives

Using lastpass for more than 2 years. Never been let down. Seamless synchronization across all browser and across various PC/Laptops. Double layer protection via Google Authenticator. And its FREE too.

Read more here http://blog.lastpass...for-google.html

Life is indeed been simple now for managing all those passwords.

(Slowly moving to Google Sync as it is also encrypted and sync across various PCs)

Edited by phonegeek

^ Does lastpass work for secure sites like banks etc ? (because google/chrome sync doesn't remember those passwords)

I dont use lastpass for bank websites due to security reason, though there is an option to save them also. Further, lastpass has secure notes also where I have saved hints of those bank passwords.

i also using LASTPASS from past 1 year except bank logins due to security reasons... I m happy with it...

^ Does lastpass work for secure sites like banks etc ? (because google/chrome sync doesn't remember those passwords)

I have used lastpass for bank website & it works fine. Even, I have two on line accounts with same bank & it works perfectly with both of them..

No idea about security features. but I mainly use ICICI bank, where for fund transfer, there are multiple layers of security like grid on debit card + some pin number sent on mobile phone. So, not worried too much for that part.

Other option I use is Google Drive, store password + login details + URL in either excel sheet or in document format. So, whenever you want to login, you can access URL from the same sheet & then copy/paste passwords. Google drive allows you to store those documents offline on your PC, so no problem, when not on line.

The primary thing while saving your passwords is that whether the website stores your information in encrypted or unencrypted form.

The double layer security(Password+ Google authenticator) provided by lastpass makes it difficult for anyone to steal your information.

The discussion is only around one pwm ie lastpass. I think there are several others available. Please consider them also. :SI:

Yes Lastpass is best login records manager. Since I use my laptop only operated solely I have enabled autologin option on most sites. Lastpass can also billpay,ccavenue, billdesk payment gateway credentials. When we change login information everytime in future, make sure we change it in Lastpass at the same time or when its autologin enabled it will use up old password and block the username. Lastpass is a boon for strictly personal computing.

Evoing on Reliance using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Use Lastpass premium, I've been using it for about 9 months and its extremely helpful, specially when you switch phones and have to configure all email clients and it also works in the office where you have 100+ logins to work with :).

I haven't tried the free version so can't say how it works, also if you use their sister service for syncing your bookmarks and signup together, you get a discount :)

i dont think password managers are helpful, atleast in my case. i use passwords depending upon the security it needs, like my email, facebook has the strongest 24word passwords and other have a simple 8 word password, and one thing we should make sure is that email password and other important passwords should never be the same and email should have the strongest, if one could have access to your email id its obvious he can change all your passwords , one of my passwords used to be JohncEnaAppLes980 :D ha ha i was a kid then :Sonrojado:

:previous:

Sorry for being a novice. I don't get this point. How can one come to know all my pw after knowing my email pw?

Sorry for being a novice. I don't get this point. How can one come to know all my pw after knowing my email pw?

Maybe he means to say this is a general guess. But his post carries validity. We should keep different passwords for various accounts.

Sent from Sensation XE using Tapatalk

I use Kaspersky Pure. It has Inbuilt Password Manager which comes with the nice features of Autofill etc.

because every account you create like facebook, orkut, rimweb etc can be reset if you can get access to your email account !

I guess he means the "Reset my password" option on various websites which sends an email to you for the link to reset your password