Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ni0987

IP addresses for Mobile Data Networks

Hi,

This is a general question, I am not sure about.

Do mobile operators give same IP address to a bunch of mobile devices?

Is it possible that mobile phones, with data connectivity, may have shared IP addresses?

If its true, on what basis do they select connected device to put in a particular IP group?

I would also like to know if there are any differences in sharing arrangement in GSM & CDMA networks.

yes TRUE major operator give Share NAT ip address to MulActually they assign local / temporary IP to device which is behind Proxy or NAT

yes they do as explained by hetal. To explain this to a 5 year old kid, it is like computers connected to ISP and each computer is given IP by the ISP. In this case, instead of computers, mobiles phones/tablets are connected to ISP.

At least RCOM CDMA gives IPs which can be pinged and SSH'd into, while most 3G operators give private IPs like 10.* or 192.*

I have always been able to SSH into devices connected by RCOM CDMA dongles/phones/data-cards by giving their IPs but NOT to devices connected by 3G - neither RCOM 3G nor Airtel. Have not tried others. But airtel/reliance 3G / GSM will give you a real IP if you request and make the required payments. At least that's what their guys told me.

If you tell us what is your objective, maybe we can help better ?

Edited by ami1

Thank you all for clarifying me on this issue.