Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
inception

How To Stop OTA Drop Down Menu Ads On Gionee Dream D1?

Recently my friend bought a Gionee Dream D1 (for Rs 9500, used phone with 10 months warranty).

What he showed to me, are OTA ads on drop-down menu from Chinese servers.

Gionee offer OTA update features, and I guess they are just misusing the feature.

How to stop getting this ads?

Screenshot_2013-08-28-17-22-46.png

Screenshot_2013-08-24-23-40-42.png

• Like 1

I think, rooting it and blocking/ deleting/ freezing any such sys or odex file which looks for OTA notifications for all these will do.

Otherwise flashing a custom ROM will surely stop it.

If the phone is running JellyBean, just press and hold the notification till it shows a pop-up menu (just like right click Menu in PC) and select "App Info" from that menu... There you will be displayed the app which is bringing those annoying notifications... If its NOT looking like anything important (say like System UI, Phone apk etc) or just in Chinese letters, disable it there itself (if the option is available). Else if the Disable option is Greyed out, just make a note of this app and remove or freeze it using Titanium Backup.

• Like 3

rooting and freezing apps is only way for you

here is link for root and other stuff for your phone http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2254543

Edited by ::Hitesh::

If the phone is running JellyBean, just press and hold the notification till it shows a pop-up menu (just like right click Menu in PC) and select "App Info" from that menu... There you will be displayed the app which is bringing those annoying notifications... If its NOT looking like anything important (say like System UI, Phone apk etc) or just in Chinese letters, disable it there itself (if the option is available). Else if the Disable option is Greyed out, just make a note of this app and remove or freeze it using Titanium Backup.

Thanks kanaga it worked !

funny thing Gionee's in-built Temple Run sends the Chinese ads

and other ones are sent by V5 Music app.