Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
st_7

Google Nexus 5 is Official Finally!

After days, weeks & months of leaks and getting teared down, the 'LG Nexus 5' is finally made official. The announcement was made with out any fuss(I wonder if it at all needed given the hype this phone has got) in a post on Google Official Blog, by Sundar Pichai, SVP, Android, Chrome & Apps. Initially this next Google flagship will be available on Google Play in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan and Korea in both black & white and 16GB & 32GB options. The starting price is at $349 for 16GB model in U.S. As far as India is concerned, Sundar Pichai wrote that our country will soon get Nexus 5 party. And according to the Nexus 5 page here, the 16GB will be sold for Rs.28,999 & 32GB sold for Rs.32,999. The phone was made available for purchase in all the major markets, soon after the announcement came. The initial experience of buying this phone on Google Play stores(US in particular) is better by light years compared to what it was during the launch of Nexus 4. People were able to buy the phone more smoothly although it went out of stock from time to time. Although everything about Nexus 5 is already known in detail, for the sake of it, I'm posting the specs of the phone at below.

Technical Specs:

Nexus 5
  • Screen
    • 4.95” 1920x1080 display (445 ppi)
    • Full HD IPS
    • Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3
  • Cameras
    • 1.3MP front facing
    • 8MP rear facing with Optical Image Stabilization
  • Dimensions
    • 69.17x137.84x8.59 mm
    • 4.59 ounces (130g)
  • Battery
    • 2300 mAh
    • Talk time up to 17 hours*
    • Standby time up to 300 hours†
    • Internet use time up to 8.5 hours on Wi-Fi, up to 7 hours on LTE‡
    • Wireless Charging built-in
  • Audio
    • Built-in speaker
    • 3.5mm stereo audio connector
  • Processing
    • CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 800, 2.26GHz
    • GPU: Adreno 330, 450MHz
  • Wireless
    • Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
    • NFC (Android Beam)
    • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Networks
    • 2G/3G/4G LTE
    • North America:
    • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    • CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
    • WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
    • LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41
    • Rest of World:
    • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    • WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8
    • LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20
  • Memory
    • Choose 16GB or 32GB internal storage (actual formatted capacity will be less)
    • 2GB RAM
  • Ports and Connectors
    • microUSB
    • SlimPort™ enabled
    • 3.5mm stereo audio jack
    • Dual microphones
    • Ceramic power and volume buttons
  • Sensors
    • GPS
    • Gyroscope
    • Accelerometer
    • Compass
    • Proximity/Ambient Light
    • Pressure
    • Hall

post-75464-0-14178600-1383248200_thumb.j

post-75464-0-87065800-1383248218_thumb.j

So the white phone also has black bezel?

This won't be in CDMA, will it??

CDMA version of Nexus 5 is coming to sprint on 8th November.

Better battery and better processor.....

This won't be in CDMA, will it??

As it is clearly stated in the specs, every Nexus 5 sold in North-America(Model No: D820), is both CDMA & GSM Capable. Although it can't be used on Verizon. The rest of the world edition(Model No: D821) is GSM only.

CDMA version of Nexus 5 is coming to sprint on 8th November.

Rajan Ji, Nexus 5 that is being sold on Google Play store(US) is also a CDMA capable, in fact Sprint has confirmed to AndroidCentral.com that any Nexus 5 that is bought on Google Play store(US) can be brought to them and they will activate the same.

NOTE: On a side note, my Nexus 5 is on its way from Lousiville, KY(UPS hub that is being used as the center for all the shipments of Nexus 5 in US) to my shipping forward service hub. I may have it in hand 10 days from now :wOOtjumpy::dance: :dance: .

Edited by st_7
  • Like 1

i was waiting for this phone if it is cdma it is too good

so here is the comparison between Google nexus 5 vs i phone 5

http://www.ibtimes.com/google-nexus-5-arrives-android-44-kitkat-how-will-it-stack-against-apple-iphone-5s-samsung-galaxy-s4

Better processor -- YES... Better battery -- I don't think so... If you are just comparing numbers, yes 2300mAh is bigger than 2100mAh.. But if you include the bigger FHD screen, various modems (inlcudes GSM, CDMA, LTE, whereas Nexus4 has GSM and NO cdma or LTE modems enabled) that extra 200mAh is NOT much, imho...

Oh Man! Disappointing to see no LTE Band 40 Support.. No use in Current Airtel LTE and upcoming Reliance Jio LTE :/

Better processor -- YES... Better battery -- I don't think so... If you are just comparing numbers, yes 2300mAh is bigger than 2100mAh.. But if you include the bigger FHD screen, various modems (inlcudes GSM, CDMA, LTE, whereas Nexus4 has GSM and NO cdma or LTE modems enabled) that extra 200mAh is NOT much, imho...

But I've a case(through little of bit of reading I've done) to disagree with you, first of all let's take screen it is confirmed that Nexus 5 will have same GRAM technology which is being used in LG G2, and that technology is claimed to be 20% more power efficient than others(which was agreed with by many technical blogs, I think Anandtech has a blog post on this). But GRAM is nothing but a small amount of RAM built into Display technology(module) so that, to refresh all those millions of pixels the normal RAM doesn't need to be powered on every time. This is much helpful when the screen has to be fed with static content. Secondly, LTE modems, LG Nexus 5 comes with a technology that reduces around 20% power usage of LTE modems when compared to even the flagship phones of the first part of this year. The technology is called LTE Envelope Tracking, already many technical blogs have written & confirmed that Nexus 5 has this. Read this little post by a XDA member to what this technology is about. And for third point, I would like to say Snapdragon 800 SoC is much more power efficient than Snapdragon 600 SoC apart from being more powerful, so in essence S800 SoC is more powerful SoC & less power hungry when compared to S600 SoC. I've read somewhere(I'll try to find the source), that Snapdragon 800 SoC has LTE modems built into the SoC unlike 600 SoC that powered almost all the flagships of the first part of this year which reduces power usage of modems much more.(Note: As far I know Qualcomn started integrating LTE Modems into SoCs from Snapdragon S4 but didn't implement in every subsequent model or generation of SoC since then).

Why I'm comparing this to Snapdragon 600 SoC based smartphones is that most of those S600 SoC based phones like HTC One, have decent battery backup if not the best of the best(no matter what is done in tweaking the rest of the hardware but a 2300mAh powered phone will not beat a 3300 mAh powered phone in battery packup) but it's more than adequate for normal usage. Most of the people are happy with the battery backup that they are having with phones like HTC One(although power users do need some more juice). With all the improvements that I've mentioned above, Nexus 5 is a safe be to say it will have much more battery life than N4 or even phones based on S600 SoC. And the preliminary reports(one of the such thread) by normal users on XDA forums proves the same. As I said it may not beat phones like MAXX version of Motorola or LG G2 but I think it will provide more than enough juice for a normal day of a normal user(a 'normal user' can be vague term).

Oh Man! Disappointing to see no LTE Band 40 Support.. No use in Current Airtel LTE and upcoming Reliance Jio LTE :/

Yes it's a disappointment, but some people especially from the north(India), will be lucky as some of Network operators like Videocon are deploying LTE(FDD based) on 1800Mhz spectrum. And it is being reported that many others including Airtel are planning to go that direction if they are able to grab 1800 Mhz spectrum in the upcoming spectrum auction. That's a small hope.

Can anyone throw some light if the sprint version will be able to unlock to use in India for GSM? Or may be on reliance CDMA thanks

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

@Rajanmehta. Has Sprint released the CDMA version on 8th Nov? When can we expect to see it here?

Can anyone throw some light if the sprint version will be able to unlock to use in India for GSM? Or may be on reliance CDMA thanks

As pointed out earlier, there is no separate sprint version. Nexus 5 sold on US play store is model D820 which is multi band capable & supports both GSM & CDMA band as follows,
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41
Google has said on support pages that D820 is unlocked model. So it should work for GSM worldwide. CDMA band support 0/1/10 means it supports indian CDMA operator bands. I have a feeling that it may work out of the box with indian CDMA SIM, if not for DATA atleast for voice/SMS.
M.S. Raju should pop in an activated CDMA SIM in his Nexus 5 as soon as he receives it & update here.
  • Like 1

99% it will work with OMH card in India

Edited by ::Hitesh::

You think the same will be applicable on Indian release. In any case this will make it the most affordable high end handset with Indian omh support. I can easily get it from USA through friends.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

dont know about Indian release , but US version will be available with sim card and with Indian supported cdma radios.

just wait and watch

@hitesh do u advise to pick one from sprint as I may get that from my bro for $99 only on the upgrade program as he is eligible for that. I want to use GSM in India

^ ^ ^

If you read my earlier post, there is no SEPARATE sprint version. US google Play store & version sold in sprint stores is same D820 version which google clarified as unlocked. So it should work for GSM in india.

Nexus 5 does have two different versions D820 and D821

D821 does not support CDMA

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Differences-between-the-two-Nexus-5-models-D820-and-D821_id48985

even they have got two different certifications for Nexus 5

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-nexus-5-lg-d820-wi-fi-certification-270186/

If someone is able to source Nexus 5 D820....should be a world phone and will support RCDMA OHM

But will not support LTE in India

Edited by SUDYEcaZ

You think the same will be applicable on Indian release. In any case this will make it the most affordable high end handset with Indian omh support. I can easily get it from USA through friends.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

As I pointed out here, the cdma version D820 is only made for North America, every other country(which ever is getting Nexus 5) in the world will get D821(GSM version with no CDMA support). They(google) clearly pointed this out in the official specks by naming only two modesl D820(CDMA version for North America) & D821(rest of the world with only GSM support). You can check this out in the first post of this forum.

@hitesh do u advise to pick one from sprint as I may get that from my bro for $99 only on the upgrade program as he is eligible for that. I want to use GSM in India

Yogesh, as I said in my PM to you, if you can get Sprint version $99(contract price) it is unbeatable price, I presume from your posts that your brother is using Sprint network in US, since he is a customer of Sprint he can get it unlocked so that it can be used with any GSM in India, even if it is locked by Sprint, so for you it won't be problem. But for others I advise to get clear information before buying a Sprint version whether it is locked by Sprint or not. I also recommend buying directly from Google play store, you get better price & no tension. Because my thinking is that if Sprint is subsidising the phone & selling phone for just $99 means they most probably will lock it(with new software lock they are implementing starting from HTC One).

• Like 1

NOTE: On a side note, my Nexus 5 is on its way from Lousiville, KY(UPS hub that is being used as the center for all the shipments of Nexus 5 in US) to my shipping forward service hub. I may have it in hand 10 days from now :wOOtjumpy::dance: :dance: .

DId you get hold of it?

Waiting for a review of this phone...

Planning to get a 32 GB black model...

Few questions already?

How is the back if hands are soiled...

How is the screen?

and detailed review...

Here's it fellows..... A beautiful device

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

post-25111-138431743313_thumb.jpg

Here's it fellows..... A beautiful device

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2