Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
abhay

Roaming Will Be Made Mandatory

Roaming will be made mandatory

The choice of not to have domestic roaming agreements with private telecom operators by BSNL or MTNL may not last long if the draft National Telecom Policy suggestions are taken forward for implementation.

"Roaming will be made mandatory subject to for all subject to commercial terms and agreements between the operators", the draft NTP 2005 said.

At present, both these PSUs roam into each others network where consumers are given free of cost roaming services (only PSTN chargeable) but do not have by choice any agreement with the private players like Bharti, Hutch, Reliance Infocomm and Tatas.

BSNL officials consider the exlcusivity of roaming among them keeping in mind the wider reach of the PSU alomost all over the country as 'Unique Selling Proposition' BSNL has roaming agreements with most of global telecom operators.

But for all calls from roaming subscriber, the access deficit amount is to be collected by the visited network operator and paid to BSNL, according to a TRAI directive.

The denial of roaming facility to the subscribers of the private telecom operators have affected customers at large. There are no roaming airtime charges while roaming in BSNL / MTNL network (only PSTN component chargeable). For international access, the charges are as per international operator rates and Rs 5 per minute.

Roaming means the ability for a cellular subscriber to automatically make and receive voice calls, data and to access other services while travelling outside the geographical coverage area of the home network, by using the visited network.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1310639.cms

Does this mean, that if am a BPL subscriber and enter a region where i find only BSNL network available, i shud be able to login to that network and make n recieve calls. BSNL cannot restrict anyone to do that? was it restrictive right now? It made roaming agreements only with MTNL all this while?

hehe i also could not understand what they were trying to say clearly! was expecting some answers frm here :(

Edited by abhay

Does this mean, that if am a BPL subscriber and enter a region where i find only BSNL network available, i shud be able to login to that network and make n recieve calls. BSNL cannot restrict anyone to do that? was it restrictive right now? It made roaming agreements only with MTNL all this while?

48493[/snapback]

chiragbhai,

ekdum sahi question puchhelay bhidu ! Answer bhi ekdum simple aur jhakkas hoenga ! :angry: Till now, BSNL's network was restricted to only MTNL subscribers. So if you were a BPL customer, you couldn't possibly roam into areas with BSNL as the sole cellular network. With the authority however making it mandatory soon for BSNL to allow other subscribers to access its network - its pan India network USP won't be a proposition just for the PSUs subscribers, but also for the private ones. Thats the secret man !!!

When that happens, its gonna be C O O L !!! :angry:

they r trying to implement friendly roaming between all PSU & PRIVATE operators,as it is in between all private operators except reliance gsm & PSU's.

uh...lets see what costs are involved for us i.e. end users. Lets not jump to conclusions. We all know that Draft policies look great but when it comes to actual policies they look ugly!

hey dose this mean we can roam on BSNL network free of cost as MTNL/BSNL do on each others network

uh...lets see what costs are involved for us i.e. end users. Lets not jump to conclusions. We all know that Draft policies look great but when it comes to actual policies they look ugly!

48567[/snapback]

As far as roaming cost implications are concerned, I feel it wont cost much.

Roaming with private operators would definitely be more expensive than roaming with BSNL. Thus, the roaming charges would be a lot less with BSNL. Since MTNL subscribers pay Rs.2.50 as incoming charges, BSNL wouldnt mind to take around 3 - 4 bucks as incoming charges for private operators... Wtsay ? Mere speculation !

yup and since ur dreaming of what is not possible as of now lemme add some more! :)

10 mbit @ 1 RS

all types of piracy becomes legal

india bounces to NO 1 pos

and yup i MARRY lara dutta :grin: