Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ani_meher

Simple Technical Questions

We live in a world of gadgets. From morning to evening, we are in constant touch of technology and gadgets. But we hardly know any facts or reasons behind those gadgets. The questions about them can be so simple, that it can be actually time consuming to search on internet for their answers.

I am starting this thread, so that, we can post our questions, and get answers from the knowledgeble persons. For example, if you are staying in Mumbai, and travelling by western line, then you must have seen, that the indicator displaying the arrival time of train, also shows the minutes remaining. Many of the guys I have met didn't know how it is measured. It's actually very simple. If you see on the railroads, just next to the platforms, you will see a black box ON the railway. This acts as a counter for next stations. You can always confirm this, just see the engine of the train passes over the black box and enters the station, and immediately the minutes counter goes to zero.

I will start with this question. In small mp3 players or mobile mp3 players, we have an outgoing socket, in which we can insert the pin of external headset, and listen the music. What will happen if I connect huge, 600-1000W speakers to the mp3 player? Will it still produce small sound only? Why?

Also, if we connect the small speakers of a walkman to a 1000W system, and play it in full volume, what will happen at exteme cases?

I believe you can connect 600-1000W speakers to a mini mp3 player and get high volume output provided the speakers have inbuilt amplifier and have a separate power supply.

I will start with this question. In small mp3 players or mobile mp3 players, we have an outgoing socket, in which we can insert the pin of external headset, and listen the music. What will happen if I connect huge, 600-1000W speakers to the mp3 player? Will it still produce small sound only? Why?

Also, if we connect the small speakers of a walkman to a 1000W system, and play it in full volume, what will happen at exteme cases?

hmm,

Power (watts) = V(voltage)(volts) x I (current)(amperes)

Power(watts)=I^2xR (Resistance)

Power=V^2/R

so, we see that power is related to resistance.

now, for the speakers to have 1000w (PMPO) it should have approximately 95 watts RMS rating.

95 watts means something like 95=10 volts x 9.5 amperes , but 9.5 amperes is dangerous since it can easily kill.

Hence a balance has to made between voltage and current.

Now the walkman has say like 4 pencil cells

4 pencil cells = 4x(1.5volts)=6 volts

and each cell rated at 3mAh ie. it can supply 3 milli (x10^-3) ampere of current for 1 hour.

Hence to get 95 watts rms at 6 volts,

95/6=15.833 AMPERES!!!

which is not possible for the batteries to supply.

Thats all there is ,

basically its just the principle of Conservation of Energy.

Electrical Energy converted to Sound Energy.

MORE Sound Energy = MORE Electrical Energy.

:D

use an amplifier ;)

if u directly connect to such speaker system which doesnt have any builtin amplifier u wont hear any sound infact u would damage ur player ya but if the speaker system does have an amplifier, u could easily hear that much output.

Thats easy - ur gonna fry the speakers... I have ;)

Do the computer speakers have built in amplifier? And how to see whether any speakers have built in amplifier or not? Is it like the speakers with built in amplifier will have own power source?

Do the computer speakers have built in amplifier? And how to see whether any speakers have built in amplifier or not? Is it like the speakers with built in amplifier will have own power source?

1) Yes Sir 2) speakers with built in amplifier will have own power source :D 3) Yes ;)

speakers with built in amplifier will have own power source?

oh god, i mean come on...!!!

how do u suppose that something can generate its own power ?

its not possible, how can it have its own powersource...

who the hell then needs MSEB or some crap like that..

we could all just s uck power for our homes from those speakers.. isnt it ?

Edited by StaticElectricity

oh god, i mean come on...!!!

how do u suppose that something can generate its own power ?

its not possible, how can it have its own powersource...

who the hell then needs MSEB or some crap like that..

we could all just s uck power for our homes from those speakers.. isnt it ?

Sorry!! It was a writing mistake. Obviously, by 'own powersource' I didn't mean it will be generating it's own power, but it has different electric cable for itself. My bad.

OK. This question is very nicely answered in both detailed and simple ways. So here's the next question.

About electric shocks. I've read number of times that if you are on wood or wearing rubber soles sandles, then you won't get electricity shock. And the reason is, as you are insoluted from ground, the electricity doesn't 'go in' (is the word right?) ground ie earth contact, so no shock. But I've got shocks even when standing on a wooden stool, wearing soles and other similar cases when I thought I was insulated. So am I an electric man or am I missing some concept here?

I have also met some persons with literally 'electrifying personality'. Once, while a man was handling me a cd, I heard some spark sound - very subtle - and next moment I was getting shock FROM the cd, as we both were holding it. Even he felt it. He later told, that he usually gives such shocks unknowingly. What is the reason behind this?