Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Puneet

Hello Everyone!

Hello!

I am in Ras-Al-Khaimah, UAE, joined the work here last week.

Purchased a new Nokia N95 on the weekend :D;) . It feels so good to finally have areal phone after putting up with crappy phones of Reliance. My last handset N6235 wsa a decent one but was crap compared to this new beauty :P . I guess I will not be able to go back to CDMA untill and unless Nokia comes out with something similar to N95 for CDMA.

@Shaik: I hope you have transferred the number to your name by now, as wellas to your own handset.

@everybody else: keep enjoying RIMweb.in

Hi Puneet,

All the best in RAK, UAE.

We will all miss you.

Take care.

Oh Puneet m feelin jealous ;) m stil on tht crap 6235..

nyways...Hav fun in UAE !!!!!!!!

Edited by Kunal Hemrajani

hey Puneet, glad to know you are in UAE now with an N95 ! it must be Etisalat network there ?

how's the weather there ? can't live without an AC I guess ?

@Kunal: Take my advice, junk that piece of crap and move on to N95, and you will not regret it a single moment.

@Arun:Yep, the network is etisalat. And its a 3G network already w ith video calls and what not. Sometimes monopolies can also offer you the best and the latest if priceis not a constraint. And the weatehr here is awesome, you need to visti UAE in August to know what am taking about. The temperature never goes below 35 even in the night, and yes one catn do without the A/Cs.

Hi Puneet,

Even I've just moved out of RIM yesterday ... got a N95 (with preloaded India Road Map) .. Getting a corporate Hutch connection - again !

also picked up a E70 - another cool handset ...

The GPS is just awsome ... walk out ... slide out the keypad .. wait for the Sat pic to come without a cross on the bottom right corner - and boom - u know where u are !! man .. it rocks !

Already modding the handset a little ... got a Moto Stereo BT headset for AADP (A2DP) audio - useful on my bike ..

the cam is awsome .. except that the W/B correction is sad ... maybe they'll fix that in the next version .. as of now that is not a big concern since I have a Nikon D40x (10.2 MP DSLR) hehe ..

so .. keep us posted about ur new job and more highlights !!

cheers big man!

ashok

My N95 came preloaded with the maps of Middle East, though I found that the maps were taking a lot of space on my memory card (something like 300 MB), I deleted all of them and then redownloaded the maps for UAE and India. What is the firmware version of your handset? If it is not 12.0.013 upgrade it ASAP, one of the major fixes is the GPS lock - it now uses a connection to Nokia's server to get an instant fix and will in all probability work indoors too.

Tell me all the mods that you are applying to your N95, I might also try them out :)

Have you seen the new E90 - its just awesome man. With the full QWERTy keyboard it rocks even more than N95.

PS: Maybe we should have a All about N95 thread somewhere!!! :P

well hope you will be ini touch with the RIMwebians and we will surely miss ur great experience with Reliance India Mobile.

hehe..Puneet for ur information..i passed 12th this yr..n m joinin an engg college frm 16th..

so u can understand..if i ask my father for N95..thn u can understand wat wil happen :) ..

so i`LL hav to stick to tht crap mobile n crap service..

Naa. .. I guess I need to update the firmware ... my Device Software Version is : 11.0.026

date : 17-04-07

RM-159

Nokia N95 (D1.01)

thats about the info :)

hehe

any guessess where I can get the upgrade for the firmware ?

@puneet

All the best my dear friend for your future. Achieve success throughout your life. May God Bless You !

Enjoy.

@ashok: Nokia's website, download the phone updater software and you will figure out what to do next. There is nothing illegal about updating the firmware yourself, in fact Nokia advices you to update your phones with the latest available upgrade. In the new firmware there is support for aGPS where the phone sends the information about the GPS satellites to Nokia servers and they do the calcualtion and send it back in a fraction of a second, and you get an almost immediate lock. While in the previous versions, the phone does all the calculations by itself, which naturally takes a lot of time.

@Kunal: All the best for your engineering, and maybe you'll switch from the crappy hanset in another four years :eek:

@Honest: Thanks

@ Puneet - man best of luck. yes i already transfered DAPO on my handset.

Had words with dad i liked the way he says " BETE " :( really touched.

anyways me also got CINGULAR unlocked E62 from USA as a gesture gift from me seller.

Planning to quit reliance. i am really long time fan of SYMBIAN 60.

Now convincing myself to quit this 93 people and join worlds most famous and used mobile technology.

anyways lets start exclusive SYMBIAN handsets thread.

Update done ...

yeah ... nice update - but TOO FREQUENT crashes - the phone restarts every few mins for no rhyme or reason ! (and yes I've got a way to beat Nokia at their own game - connect to nokia update server everytime u opt to upgrade :( hehe )

Downloaded maps for India and UK, awsome GPS locking .. I do not have an active SIM card - so even without a network (so no AGPS assistance was used - the phone took about 65 seconds to lock in the location - pretty fast for a non dedicated GPS device. (Garmin took about the same time give or take 3-5 seconds). But the difference here was that instead of the normal tri - cordinate used in GPS all across (which I believed was used in n95 too) it seems it is using a penta-cordinational access - 5 goddamn satellite positions !!! but accuracy is amazing - to the last 22 meters near my house (new bombay - not really clear on the map) and upto 4 meters in Malad and Mumbai city!

The firmware upgrade sure boosts the speaker performance as well - about 1.5 times louder than before ...

The only issue I have been recurrently facing is the crashes and reboots ... as and when the phone decides :) - did not have that issue with my older firmware !

The firmware is a definete yes if battery performance is being observed. Earlier the phone gave me 10 - 11.5 hours of standby (considering 3 hrs of music / radio, photography, about 0.5 hrs of internet over wifi, a few VoIP calls (about 0.5 hrs) and about 30 mins of attempting to connect to the GPS satellites). But with the new firmware - with a very similar usage I've got about 20 hrs of standby - almost close to double !!!! which is astounding by all means. One jackup that I've recommended to nokia is the auto-rotaion of the screen that is not there when the slider is shifted from music mode to default position.

Also got a Iphone to fiddle around - locked - with the AT&T USIM ... Someone got 2 of them one with a plastic touch screen and another with a glass touch screen - the plastic one is with me :) all mine to try and fiddle ... another awsome phone - but battery life s**ks re !!

lets see whats in stock ... anyway I'm using a corporate plan from hutch now

I pay Rs. 199, first 350 mins at 0.30, after that hutch numbers at 0.30, other mobiles at 0.50 and landlines at 1.00. STD at 2.24. SMS local at 0.30 and national at 0.50. Clip and Itemized billing free for life. seems decent enuf :)

for GPRS i'm using BPL prepaid SIM card - where for Rs. 49/- /month u get unltd WAP browsing / downloads... :)

Cheers mates

Ashok Karkera

@Ashok: I haven't faced any crashes/reboots since I upgraded, maybe they are a result of some modding you carried out. I too noticed the change in battery life after the upgrade but was not sure that it was so drastic.

I am still used to the Indian curreny and the data rates here seem prohibitive to me. Maybe in another month or two when am more used to thinking in Dirhams I will get around to use the data services. I still have to figue out which access point to use for which servise. Etisalat had sent me configuration messages for some 9 services and access points - am not too sure which is for what :( And anyway no one can beat the mobile rates in India.

@Shaik: I hope you are not inundated with any unnecessary phone calls and SMSes. I guess it will be a few months before the tele-marketeers strike out the number from their records.

@Arun: With a Super-mod, a Mod and a Vetern vouching for S60, maybe we should soon have a thread discussing nothing but S60.

Update done ...

yeah ... nice update - but TOO FREQUENT crashes - the phone restarts every few mins for no rhyme or reason ! (and yes I've got a way to beat Nokia at their own game - connect to nokia update server everytime u opt to upgrade :( hehe )

Downloaded maps for India and UK, awsome GPS locking .. I do not have an active SIM card - so even without a network (so no AGPS assistance was used - the phone took about 65 seconds to lock in the location - pretty fast for a non dedicated GPS device. (Garmin took about the same time give or take 3-5 seconds). But the difference here was that instead of the normal tri - cordinate used in GPS all across (which I believed was used in n95 too) it seems it is using a penta-cordinational access - 5 goddamn satellite positions !!! but accuracy is amazing - to the last 22 meters near my house (new bombay - not really clear on the map) and upto 4 meters in Malad and Mumbai city!

The firmware upgrade sure boosts the speaker performance as well - about 1.5 times louder than before ...

The only issue I have been recurrently facing is the crashes and reboots ... as and when the phone decides :) - did not have that issue with my older firmware !

The firmware is a definete yes if battery performance is being observed. Earlier the phone gave me 10 - 11.5 hours of standby (considering 3 hrs of music / radio, photography, about 0.5 hrs of internet over wifi, a few VoIP calls (about 0.5 hrs) and about 30 mins of attempting to connect to the GPS satellites). But with the new firmware - with a very similar usage I've got about 20 hrs of standby - almost close to double !!!! which is astounding by all means. One jackup that I've recommended to nokia is the auto-rotaion of the screen that is not there when the slider is shifted from music mode to default position.

Also got a Iphone to fiddle around - locked - with the AT&T USIM ... Someone got 2 of them one with a plastic touch screen and another with a glass touch screen - the plastic one is with me :) all mine to try and fiddle ... another awsome phone - but battery life s**ks re !!

lets see whats in stock ... anyway I'm using a corporate plan from hutch now

I pay Rs. 199, first 350 mins at 0.30, after that hutch numbers at 0.30, other mobiles at 0.50 and landlines at 1.00. STD at 2.24. SMS local at 0.30 and national at 0.50. Clip and Itemized billing free for life. seems decent enuf :)

for GPRS i'm using BPL prepaid SIM card - where for Rs. 49/- /month u get unltd WAP browsing / downloads... :)

Cheers mates

Ashok Karkera

Oye sir ji kab mil rahe ho, kya baat hai aaj kal ek ke baad ek gadgets.

i got to meet u man got to check ur new D40X and iphone.

i think we can make em work on BPL old sims. ( with the help of SIM cloning stuffs ) now its time for GSM. reliance is explored now :D

@Kunal: All the best for your engineering, and maybe you'll switch from the crappy hanset in another four years

thnx !!!!!!!!!!!!!

wel i dun hav to wait for another 4 yrs..

before joinin colg i wil b getin ROKR Z6 or Nk 6300 or SE700i..any one of thes 3..

so wil sell this handset now..Phew!!!

nyways i m also supportin da thread meant only for S60..

Me also support a thread for discussing S60 handsets and programs to try on the simbian series. Currently I have a 6630. All this talk of N95, great stuff, keep it up. Must check out E90!

me2 supports s60 thread.