Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Puneet

Mtnl Dsl Connection And Wireless Access Point

Has anyone used and/or configured a Wireless Access Point(WAP) with a MTNL DSL Modem (TriBand)? One of my professor has a MTNL TriBand connection and would now like to add a wireless network to that, and the vendors here have never configured WAP with MTNL. So she asked my advice, and I come back to RIMweb :) . Basically, I need to know if a WAP can be configured easily with Triband or not.

PS: I guess its going to be difficult to stay away from RIMweb.in.

Well apart from MTNL or something, can you tell me your Modem model ?

either u BUY a wireless ADSL modem(Dlink 604 T) or just buy a regular wirless router (netgear/linksys) & connect it to existing regular ADSL modem

Hi,

Yes , you can configure any wireless router with the MTNL DSL model.

DSL logins can be done in 2 ways:

1. Login info stored on your PC (using a 'dialer')

In this case, the wireless router config page has a screen where you can set up the login details.

2. Login info stored on the DSL modem

In this setup, the login info is stored on the DSL modem and no config is required on the wireless router. This setup is done on the modem config page. In the wireless router config page, you have to set "No login required" - or similar based on the router.

MTNL DSL modems conform to point no. 2. So no configuration is required on the wireless router. You just plug in the router to the modem and you should be good to go.

Of course, the Wi-Fi configuration would still have to be done on the wireless router config page.

I can vouch for all this information since this is the setup I am using currently at home. A UTStarcom DSL modem (from MTNL) with a Netgear 802.11b wireless router.

Though, if you ask the MTNL technician who comes home to setup up the connection, he will act smart and tell you that it cannot be done. And this happened to me before MTNL introduced the WLAN plan.

I can send you screen shots of all this once I get home. please let me know if you need them.

P.S. A good wireless router will cost you Rs. 4000. Would suggest buying outright instead of renting from MTNL. The effort is just not worth it. Go to the exchange, given an application, follow up, bribe, wait at home/office for the technician to show up... You get the point.

Edited by rits76

Just an addition a wireless router (ethernet) which can be used as a addon to existing dsl modem can be availed at 2k WGR614 Netgear

Simple:

Internet ----( Phone cable )---> MTNL DSL Router ---( Cat5e cable )---> WAP ----( wifi )----> Laptop

First establish a wifi link between the WAP and laptop. You simply need to put in an ESSID in the WAP and tell it to activate the wireless network. Once that is done, simply configure the laptop. For this you need to scan for networks. You'll find a network with your ESSID. Click connect and it should connect.

Next, The DSL router should be configured to autologin. Just plugin the DSL router's LAN output to any of the ports ( not internet port ) of the WAP. Now, simply configure the laptop's wifi card to get the TCP/IP settings via DHCP. You should get a IP like 192.168.1.3. When you get the IP you'll be set to surf! :clap:

hi

can some1 provide the mtnl triband tariffs for delhi.

i was looking to shift from my airtel broadband to mtnl triband, coz of increased speed of 2mbps

it is available @1800 with wireless and lan support from mtnl

From where can I buy wireless dsl modem from mtnl @1800 bucks in mumbai?

Contact MTNL/BSNL for such purchase.. I mean customer care...

u can check out at 'mumbai.mtnl.net.in' for the details :SI: of the Quick customer care centre :) near your location and apply there. :Chulo:

btw just thought to share it with you. :grin: instead of buying it from mtnl if you go to lamington road and have a survey you will find atleast a difference of rs.200. :Contento:

its your call. :winko:

last thing

make sure that you can lock or ensure only authorized- password protected access thru the woreless dsl modem :GirandoOjos:

i have a unsecured one and know what the whole of the floor could be accessing the net on my connection... :NOTriste:

Has anyone used and/or configured a Wireless Access Point(WAP) with a MTNL DSL Modem (TriBand)? One of my professor has a MTNL TriBand connection and would now like to add a wireless network to that, and the vendors here have never configured WAP with MTNL. So she asked my advice, and I come back to RIMweb :grin: . Basically, I need to know if a WAP can be configured easily with Triband or not.

PS: I guess its going to be difficult to stay away from RIMweb.in.

with the woreless router, you will get a installation CD. :Contento: follow the insructions abd VOILA you are working on a wireless. :SI:

if the CD is not there :NOTriste: then download the same from the website :winko: of the concerned company and again VOILA :)

You have a wireless