Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
coolrajiv

Reliance launches Blackberry

Actually while what you say about BlackBerry is right, there are other features meant only for the corporates.

The most important is security. With a BlackBerry, you can have device lockdowns, memory wipes and even set different permissions for using the device to ensure that employees dont misuse the device by adding software that may damage the phone or create viruses.

Data security is very important for corporates and BlackBerry is the king when it comes to security.

Also EVDO is not available in India as yet. So speeds are about the same as EDGE. But EDGE is available only in select cities and even within the cities, it isnt available everywhere.

And the 8830 has EDGE. You can check out gsmarena.

Memory wipe softwares are available Palm, where if one sends SMS, unit is hard resetted and every thing is wiped off.

And P990i is the best PDA cum phone available in market.

Yes and when a handset is stolen, who is going to receive the SMS ? The number would have changed by then. With a Reliance BlackBerry, it is difficult to change the number, so you are somewhat safer. Plus you can set permissions to allow the employee to only use the email function and not anything else.

And the P990i is the best PDA on the market on PAPER ! In reality it suffers from memory leaks and hanging problems. Plus it is really bulky and of course no EDGE ! Infact I was about to buy the phone when I read a lot of bad reviews and felt it is worthless to spend so much on a phone and still be forced to compromise on a lot of things.

Like you have to make sure that you dont open more than 4 programs at a time or your phone WILL reboot. Also the Ram is shared with the internal memory. So if you are not carefull and fill up the internal memory, you can expect much more problems to occur. All these nice problems after you shell out 18k of your hard earned money !

Yes and when a handset is stolen, who is going to receive the SMS ? The number would have changed by then. With a Reliance BlackBerry, it is difficult to change the number, so you are somewhat safer. Plus you can set permissions to allow the employee to only use the email function and not anything else.

And the P990i is the best PDA on the market on PAPER ! In reality it suffers from memory leaks and hanging problems. Plus it is really bulky and of course no EDGE ! Infact I was about to buy the phone when I read a lot of bad reviews and felt it is worthless to spend so much on a phone and still be forced to compromise on a lot of things.

Like you have to make sure that you dont open more than 4 programs at a time or your phone WILL reboot. Also the Ram is shared with the internal memory. So if you are not carefull and fill up the internal memory, you can expect much more problems to occur. All these nice problems after you shell out 18k of your hard earned money !

If you do not like P990i, you have P1i which costs Rs 22,000 which has 3G, touch screen, blackberry connect, 3 MP Camera, .....This phone is much more stable because it has 128 MB RAM. Allows true multi-tasking and very sleek.

www.blackberry.reliancemobile.com

My two cent worth of contribution on the best model for blackberry. I would not recommend any of the blackberry models since they are too focussed on email and do everything else - including even voice - mediocre. I use E61 and am quite happy with it since I have symbian. There is no camera and I dont need one. There is no touch screen and I am too happy about it but some others may want it. What it lacks is a full fledged PDA system of Palm or Windows Mobile which I sorely miss these PDA (i.e., organizer) features.

Unless really really required, do not go for blackberry models - that is final comment. All the best.

If you do not like P990i, you have P1i which costs Rs 22,000 which has 3G, touch screen, blackberry connect, 3 MP Camera, .....This phone is much more stable because it has 128 MB RAM. Allows true multi-tasking and very sleek.

Even the P1 fails to have EDGE ! It just has super slow GPRS. But yes it has improved on the SE P990i's problems.

Getting Brand NEW Blackberry from USA of Sprint Networks

Lets Wait and Watch.

Watch out for the Frequency range. In US they use some special frequencies which are not used by other countries, even in CDMA. If you are a good hacker, may be you can live with it.

Absolutely not I have used many CDMA from USA, and they can not use Frequncy which is not Approved by TIA.

Even the P1 fails to have EDGE ! It just has super slow GPRS. But yes it has improved on the SE P990i's problems.

EDGE is not available but comparing that against CDMA phones, it is far better. Anyways, 3G is the way to go not EDGE. But it has WIFI which is a good way to connect if you have wireless Broadband at home. Without switching your laptop you can browse thru this phone. This has a decent browser Opera.

I would go for E61i but for the touch screen capabilities which is handy especially when you use your mobile phone browsers and menu selections etc....

Reliance people giving BB demo at your doorstep.

Tomorrow one guy coming for a demo. lets see. will update here.

EDGE is not available but comparing that against CDMA phones, it is far better. Anyways, 3G is the way to go not EDGE. But it has WIFI which is a good way to connect if you have wireless Broadband at home. Without switching your laptop you can browse thru this phone. This has a decent browser Opera.

I would go for E61i but for the touch screen capabilities which is handy especially when you use your mobile phone browsers and menu selections etc....

Touch screen capabilities in Sony Ericsson is what attracts me, because it makes browsing really comfortable. But then as its been well pointed out in this forum that SE P990i and P1i lack EDGE, which is a considerable drawback. By what time do we except the Telecom service providers to start 3G in India. I have till now only browsed on EDGE phones, and really don't know how pathetic GPRS is. Is it too bad? Is it bad enough to prevent one from buying a P990i or P1i? I have Wifi at home, and these days I am moving to networks where to my knowledge EDGE is not available. In Delhi, there is EDGE available though. I know at the end of the day its my decision as to which phone should I buy as it should suit what I would like to extract from the phone, but I would still like to have some comments of the participants of this forum. Also, kindly weigh P990i against P1i. Someone mentioned P1i has overcome the problems in P990i, what problems are you referring to? My friend already has a E61i and the only complaint she gives about that phone is that there is a need for a touchscreen and at times FM should have been there. So, I have kind of ruled out E61i. If there is any other phone which someone would like to mention at this point of time which outweighs Blackberry phones given the price and features, please do so.

Touch screen capabilities in Sony Ericsson is what attracts me, because it makes browsing really comfortable. But then as its been well pointed out in this forum that SE P990i and P1i lack EDGE, which is a considerable drawback. By what time do we except the Telecom service providers to start 3G in India. I have till now only browsed on EDGE phones, and really don't know how pathetic GPRS is. Is it too bad? Is it bad enough to prevent one from buying a P990i or P1i? I have Wifi at home, and these days I am moving to networks where to my knowledge EDGE is not available. In Delhi, there is EDGE available though. I know at the end of the day its my decision as to which phone should I buy as it should suit what I would like to extract from the phone, but I would still like to have some comments of the participants of this forum. Also, kindly weigh P990i against P1i. Someone mentioned P1i has overcome the problems in P990i, what problems are you referring to? My friend already has a E61i and the only complaint she gives about that phone is that there is a need for a touchscreen and at times FM should have been there. So, I have kind of ruled out E61i. If there is any other phone which someone would like to mention at this point of time which outweighs Blackberry phones given the price and features, please do so.

If you want to go for a touch screen based phone, you have a choice between SE, Motorola and Windows Mobile phones. For SE I can suggest only the P1 right now. The P990i suffers from hanging problems and you need to flash the phone first to use it properly - all that requires a decent technical knowledge. The P1 has Symbian UIQ 3.0 OS.

From Motorola there is either the A1200 or the ROKR E6. Both have a slightly small 2.4 inch screen and have a Linux OS which doesnt have much support for 3rd party apps.

From Windows Mobile stables, there is the Dopod D600 which is decent but lacks Wifi. Then there is the HTC Touch which has everything except a keypad. The Touch uses WM 6.0 while the Dopod uses WM 5.0.

About the diff between GPRS and EDGE, well EDGE offers (theoretically) 236 kbps while GPRS offers 32 kbps. Of course since the GSM network is chocked, EDGE speed is just about 60 kbps but it is still a lot faster than GPRS.

Edited by Arun

Not exactly. 3G as a technology is just a small update. It offers speeds upto just 384 kbps. But the next generation of CDMA offers upto 2 Mbps. Also the updation of a CDMA network is far faster than GSM since 3G for GSM requires expensive BTS towers and the existing ones wont do. But for EVDO, the existing towers can be easily used and it only requires add-on equipment so expanding EVDO network will be far faster.

Also even currently EDGE isnt as fast as CDMA 1x since GSM is a data choked network while CDMA is a very data efficient network. And Opera can be installed on just about any phone - even BlackBerry so that doesnt count.

The technolgy to look out for is HSPDA for GSM. It is 3.5 G and it offers speeds of upto 3 Mbps. But right now 3G is useless compared to EVDO. I would leave GSM and shift to CDMA the moment EVDO comes out. Unless of course GSM operaters decide to leave 3G and shift directly to 3.5G.

Not exactly. 3G as a technology is just a small update. It offers speeds upto just 384 kbps. But the next generation of CDMA offers upto 2 Mbps. Also the updation of a CDMA network is far faster than GSM since 3G for GSM requires expensive BTS towers and the existing ones wont do. But for EVDO, the existing towers can be easily used and it only requires add-on equipment so expanding EVDO network will be far faster.

Also even currently EDGE isnt as fast as CDMA 1x since GSM is a data choked network while CDMA is a very data efficient network. And Opera can be installed on just about any phone - even BlackBerry so that doesnt count.

The technolgy to look out for is HSPDA for GSM. It is 3.5 G and it offers speeds of upto 3 Mbps. But right now 3G is useless compared to EVDO. I would leave GSM and shift to CDMA the moment EVDO comes out. Unless of course GSM operaters decide to leave 3G and shift directly to 3.5G.

3G WCDMA is First Release which Support only 386 kbps for Single Subscriber but the Software Update to in as 3GPP Release 5 and 6 (HSDPA 3.6 and HSDPA 7.2) can Provide upto 3.6 Mbps and 7.2 Mbps which far ahead of EVDO rev A 3.2 Mbps Speed.

2.1 Ghz Band usedby 3G GSM is not Expensive but of course if the 2G GSM dont have that Band in RF Feeder they have to buy new one 2.1 Ghz RF Device which can Inflate Cost against CDMA which only Require EVDO Card to place instead of 1x Card on Tower which Cheapest 3G Update (and Even EVDO Rev is 3G and EVDO Rev A is 3.5 G).

another Important thing is for GSM 3 G to 3.5 G is only Software Update means in India 3.5 G can Directly Launched in Soft manner later on or At Start also.

Who cares for Operators Expenses for 3G Upgrades Do these CDMA Operator will Pass the Benefit of Cheaper 3G Upgrade they got to Customer. If you think you are in Dark. TATA and Reliance applied for 1900 Mhz for EVDO and not the 800 whic they are using so for them also they have to Get 1900 Mhz RF Feeder Additionally. as in 800 Mhz only 10 Mhz Free Band is Left.

But the CRAP availibilit of 3G Device in CDMA is like water for Desert man. All CDMA Operator like TATA and Reliance s**ks Customers. TATA allowed Foregin Registered ESN to Activate on Network, But the F**king Reliance dont even bother to listen the Customer, when u call Reliance CC They Just ask for RSN. Now anybody please tell these Stupid CC that RSN is (Readable Serial Number) is properitory Stupid Reliance Algorithm and Nobody in World use RSN.

I only Recommend all users to go for 3G GSM. Becuase Reliance have Fiber Optic Highway and ask us to run on " BEL GADI" of Classic.

Reliance Just can not Think Beyond Classics (Rang Barse, Rang Barse) where GSM Hadnset have became power as Laptop Reliance still is stuck on how to Get Color on Handset.

Blackberry Sold in Reliance is HCC Locked so if u want to sell it another Reliance User again You have to Thos Stupid Customer Care, leak their shoe to Swap the Numbers. CDMA Phones dont have any Resell value as only Few are taker. CDMA Phones are only used by Doodhwala and ricksaw wala, Reliance dont deserve to have Business Person or High ARPU Client for the Service they offer or knowledge and Handset offering they have.

I am using FM on Phone from last 4 year and These CDMA Guy just learnt how to have FM on Phone (May be Reliance have laucnhed Big FM may Inspired them to have FM on Handset). They are atleast 4 year Behind GSM in Addon Service like Missed Call Alert, Browser on Devie itself, Ring Back Tone.

There are some Greate Model in USA from Variou Company in CDMA but all Customer to have to do "Tapasya like Vishwamitra" to have those Beaty in there Hand. Some Hadset are luanched by reliance is Exlcusive for Reliance and Some Samsung Phone are MIN Locked to TATA. Frankly Speaking We are Wasting our time, money, and energy using these CRAP CDMA Technology.

Edited by hetaldp

3G WCDMA is First Release which Support only 386 kbps for Single Subscriber but the Software Update to in as 3GPP Release 5 and 6 (HSDPA 3.6 and HSDPA 7.2) can Provide upto 3.6 Mbps and 7.2 Mbps which far ahead of EVDO rev A 3.2 Mbps Speed.

2.1 Ghz Band usedby 3G GSM is not Expensive but of course if the 2G GSM dont have that Band in RF Feeder they have to buy new one 2.1 Ghz RF Device which can Inflate Cost against CDMA which only Require EVDO Card to place instead of 1x Card on Tower which Cheapest 3G Update (and Even EVDO Rev is 3G and EVDO Rev A is 3.5 G).

another Important thing is for GSM 3 G to 3.5 G is only Software Update means in India 3.5 G can Directly Launched in Soft manner later on or At Start also.

Who cares for Operators Expenses for 3G Upgrades Do these CDMA Operator will Pass the Benefit of Cheaper 3G Upgrade they got to Customer. If you think you are in Dark. TATA and Reliance applied for 1900 Mhz for EVDO and not the 800 whic they are using so for them also they have to Get 1900 Mhz RF Feeder Additionally. as in 800 Mhz only 10 Mhz Free Band is Left.

But the CRAP availibilit of 3G Device in CDMA is like water for Desert man. All CDMA Operator like TATA and Reliance s**ks Customers. TATA allowed Foregin Registered ESN to Activate on Network, But the F**king Reliance dont even bother to listen the Customer, when u call Reliance CC They Just ask for RSN. Now anybody please tell these Stupid CC that RSN is (Readable Serial Number) is properitory Stupid Reliance Algorithm and Nobody in World use RSN.

I only Recommend all users to go for 3G GSM. Becuase Reliance have Fiber Optic Highway and ask us to run on " BEL GADI" of Classic.

Reliance Just can not Think Beyond Classics (Rang Barse, Rang Barse) where GSM Hadnset have became power as Laptop Reliance still is stuck on how to Get Color on Handset.

Blackberry Sold in Reliance is HCC Locked so if u want to sell it another Reliance User again You have to Thos Stupid Customer Care, leak their shoe to Swap the Numbers. CDMA Phones dont have any Resell value as only Few are taker. CDMA Phones are only used by Doodhwala and ricksaw wala, Reliance dont deserve to have Business Person or High ARPU Client for the Service they offer or knowledge and Handset offering they have.

I am using FM on Phone from last 4 year and These CDMA Guy just learnt how to have FM on Phone (May be Reliance have laucnhed Big FM may Inspired them to have FM on Handset). They are atleast 4 year Behind GSM in Addon Service like Missed Call Alert, Browser on Devie itself, Ring Back Tone.

There are some Greate Model in USA from Variou Company in CDMA but all Customer to have to do "Tapasya like Vishwamitra" to have those Beaty in there Hand. Some Hadset are luanched by reliance is Exlcusive for Reliance and Some Samsung Phone are MIN Locked to TATA. Frankly Speaking We are Wasting our time, money, and energy using these CRAP CDMA Technology.

You actually managed to get to the customer care ? Thats quite amazing, I usually give up after 10 tries !

I doubt HSPDA is going to come to India anytime soon. It may just be a software update, but the problem is that setting up a good network is difficult and India is not a small country like the U.K. Also the govt seems in no hurry to bring out 3G. In fact they had announced that 2G was very important.

I worked for 3 global services and I came to know that their network in Australia is working only in cities and that too you have to get a coverage check as there are plenty of dead zones in the city where there is no coverage. So I can only imagine how bad the situation in a huge country like India will be.

Reliance customer support may be pathetic, but I still believe they offer the best call rates and more importantly the best connectivity. I know they are more concerned about Classic phones and stuff but that is also because Qualcomm charges royalty for every phone sold. So if Reliance were to launch say a Nokia N73 or something, it would cost almost 20k. So Reliance will not sell many phones since in GSM market, the phone will be much cheaper. Also the price of the phone wont drop much since sales will be so less. The reason they can keep the costs of classic so low is only due to numbers.

But now with the launch of BlackBerry, they are testing the waters for high-end phones. If they can come up with 2 year contracts or something on some good handset, I wouldnt mind buying since after 2 years a GSM phone will have no resale value either.

And CDMA technolgy is not crap. I never use my Hutch phone for calling simply because I get the best call quality and network on my CDMA handset. Also the GSM network is clogged as most of the available bandwith is taken up for calls. That is why even though EDGE is theoretically capable of 236.8 kbps, in reality it is slower than the 144 kbps speed of the CDMA 1x network.

CDMA phones are locked to one particular provider irrespective of its features. GSM phones with 3G (EDGE), WiFi, Bluetooth, media capabilities, touch screen, qwerty keyboard etc...would clearly outdo CDMA handsets.

Anyway, CDMA and GSM technologies are converging oneway or the other. In few years from now, the differences would be very thin in terms of capabilities (3Mpbs etc...).

As far as choosing between BB, P1i, P990i or Motorola handsets, P1i winds handsdown in all aspects except for EDGE. Buying Blackberry is like paying Rs 10 Lakhs for Hindustan-Ambasador Car. Though BB is a decent handset it does not offer value for money. It must cost 50% of its present value for any one even to think about buying.

CDMA phones are locked to one particular provider irrespective of its features. GSM phones with 3G (EDGE), WiFi, Bluetooth, media capabilities, touch screen, qwerty keyboard etc...would clearly outdo CDMA handsets.

Anyway, CDMA and GSM technologies are converging oneway or the other. In few years from now, the differences would be very thin in terms of capabilities (3Mpbs etc...).

As far as choosing between BB, P1i, P990i or Motorola handsets, P1i winds handsdown in all aspects except for EDGE. Buying Blackberry is like paying Rs 10 Lakhs for Hindustan-Ambasador Car. Though BB is a decent handset it does not offer value for money. It must cost 50% of its present value for any one even to think about buying.

Ok let me put it this way. I will go for the technology which suits me the best right now. GSM with EDGE doesnt give me any decent surfing speeds while CDMA phones do. So right now I will stick with CDMA. If in future, GSM comes with HSPDA and offers decent prices for surfing, i will shift to GSM as simple as that. But right now and also in the near future , for data speeds, CDMA wins hands down over GSM. If and when GSM comes with HSDPA, GSM will then win over CDMA and then CDMA will only have lower call rates and nothing more.

Also I myself will never spend money and buy a BlackBerry for my personal use. But if I own a company and want to give handhelds to my management to do their jobs better, I will go ONLY for BlackBerry and never for a Nokia or a WM device since they can be misused by the management while BlackBerrys will be cost effective and used only for enhancing productivity.

Access to Customer care of reliance seems to be beased on credit level of customer. My credit limit is 12K and I gett access immediately to executive. Whaere as at the same time if I connect using phone with 2K credit limit has to move around in menus for quite some time.

CDMA will not remain winner for data once GSM guys makes their house organized. I mean newer technologies, uniform and standard back end support etc. However GSM will remain expensive than CDMA because of technological differences and patents with qualcomm. Certain critical patents for WCDMA is with qualcomm and qualcomm is charging heaven for those patents, because it wants to push CDMA / EVDO because of larger interest. Also TDMA (FOr voice) has to remain expensive due to inefficieny in spectrum use.

FOr employees, I will suggest windows based handset, MS EXCHANGE server for push mail and GPRS (650 bucks, unlimited). THis will be cheapest solution.

Gone are the Days where Qualcomm were Holding Patents, now Broadcom and Nokia holds some Patent which is used in MSM7500 used in HTC Mogul CDMA Phone. As per the agreement between Nokia and Qualcomm in 2004 They have Used each other patent in GSM and CDMA for Better Developements.

kalpak, HSDPA Chipset made by Qualcomm is Dam Costly but They are not the only Beast. Infineon, Marvell, Broadcomm, Nokia, NCP, Motorola, Samsung, Texas Instruments all makes HSDPA Chipsets and just see for next 1 Year You will get Damn Cheap Handset in HSDPA along with HIgher Range.

Airtel uses 1800 Mhz so in Maharashtra and Gujarat they have to push more BTS for coverage now the Advantage they have using more BTS the Same Frequncy is reused in Small Group of Users thats why they Give Unlimited GPRS Access in Just Rs. 12 (Can Reliance think of it).

For Data Reliance is Just Use less. My Dear I am Using PPC6700 before Reliance had Started Shipping and Distributing WHen we are Browing or Downloading the Mails The Phone Gets Engaged can not make or Received Call. (Think if u missed the call when we down any mail, is this the Business Feature?) That is not the Case in GPRS or EDGE as it uses Different Time Slot for Data. In Mumbai Some area give us above 120 kbps which is Higher then 1x.

Who Want to use 1x in Computer when We can have 2 mbps Broadband in Just Rs. 250. The Data Connectivity of Mobile is only Important if we have Compatible Devices in which we can Browse, Download. CDMA Just learn how to get it. Where there are 12 Companies in GSM and they are giving Browser from last 3 years.

You cant Believe When i Baught Nokia 6265 as in Reliance Web Site they have told Browser Capable Phone. And After 5 Month Reliance have Started allowing Browsing on the Net and still some users in Forum want to Proove that CDMA is better for Data. CDMA can be Better in Data if they allow all Data Feature on Feature rich Handset and when Data Dont Block Voice.

One More thing i want to Suggest in 1x Blackberry Push Mail and Microsoft Direct Push Can work at all. I have setup MS Exchange 2003 SE Server but to keep them mail link i have to make 1x Always on so my Calls get Blocked. only when EVDO will come then only Seemless Data and call can be made. Which is right now available in GSM out of the Box.

Till the date EVDO (Qualcomm claims is Best 3G or 3.5G) is not made compatible for Video Calling. They are still testing in Labs. but in Japan NTT DoCoMo is allowing users Video Calling in HSDPA Networks.

GSM is Providing 900 Character Concated SMS from last 3 Year in CDMA only Nokia 2865 and 6275 allows (Nokia is Kripa se)

100% GSM Handset allow SMS Text to be sent by Computer in CDMA only Nokia that is also Stopped the Production.

So Currently or in Future CDMA missed so many thing like

Video Calling,

Seemless Data and Voice,

Home Network Roaming and Partner Network Roaming,

Global Roaming in Single Phone,

Availability of Wide Range Cheap Handsets,

Easy Switching or Swapping of Handset coz of SIM Card,

No Restriction on Network locking on 99 % of Handsets,

And Host of Value Added Services (added everyday) which CDMA can not dream to gives

All Classics old by Reliance is just Label they are made bu ZTE, Huawei and eve they dont have any Commication Suit for Call and Phone Book managements.

And My Strong Belief is that even Anil Ambani Himself will be using Vodafone or Airtel as Reliance dont have such Phones :Riendo::Riendo::Riendo::Contento::Contento::Contento: for High ene Business users.

Edited by hetaldp

wowow..

it has certainly opened up my mind..

Now a days i look at the phone just as a medium of making calls and other one as a medium of receiving calls....

i seem to have gone to the stone age guyss...

Dont Waste Money in Blackberry

Just get iPhone 4Gb or 8Gb and be Happy

You will remeber my Word then iPhone is worth buying and Waiting for it and also if anybody is comming from USA you may get it 8GB in 22000 (As no Duty and Postage) and 4 GB in 19000 (Damn cheap for this heaven Device)

Dont Waste Money in Blackberry

Just get iPhone 4Gb or 8Gb and be Happy

You will remeber my Word then iPhone is worth buying and Waiting for it and also if anybody is comming from USA you may get it 8GB in 22000 (As no Duty and Postage) and 4 GB in 19000 (Damn cheap for this heaven Device)

Absolutely Iphone is worth waiting & complete value for money ... its gonna be a huge success in the indian market when it will be officially launched in India..

I believe its depends on ones requirement.

I have web hosting business and for me checking server staus and email is of absolute necessity. No water supply for few days is ok for me but I need to check my email every few minutes. For me PPC 6700 (Which I currently have) and devices like blackberry are very much helpful.

Thanks

I have seen iPhone selling @Rs 60,000 in Rediff Shopping mall!!!! Not worth that much.

Better go for Vertu!!!!!