Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KumaarShah

Long-term Cell Users Risk Brain Tumour

'Long-term cell users risk brain tumour'

9 Oct 2007, 0250 hrs IST,Kounteya Sinha ,TNN

NEW DELHI: Chances of developing a brain tumour doubles for those who are hooked to their mobile phones. This has been found in a study conducted by Swedish scientists, which indicates that an hour a day on a mobile phone for a decade is enough to increase the risk.

According to Professor Lennart Hardell of the University Hospital in Orebro and Professor Kjell Hansson Mild of Umea University, long-term mobile users had double the chance of getting a tumour on the side of the brain where they held the handset for over 10 years.

The team called for special caution regarding children. They said children should be discouraged from using mobiles because their thinner skulls and developing nervous systems made them especially vulnerable. This finding could come as news for the Indian health ministry which has just embarked on the nation's first long-term government study looking at what excessive mobile phone use can do to people's health.

Cell phone use is India has rocketed in the past few years. India is now home to over 200 million mobile phone users with six million being added each month.

Cell phone usage has been suspect for some time for the health hazards it poses. While studies have shown that people who use cell phones for long periods face the risk of developing malignant brain tumours, others said it could lead to hearing impairment and sleep disorders.

The latest Swedish study analysed the results of 11 previous studies carried out around the world. It examined long-term users because cancer can take more than a decade to develop. The researchers said almost all studies in the past had discovered an increased risk of cancer.

The study, published in the latest issue of the journal 'Occupational Environmental Medicine', said that those who used their phones for at least a decade were 20% more likely to contract acoustic neuromas (a type of brain tumour) and 30% more likely to get malignant gliomas (a common brain tumour).

"Long-term users were twice as likely to get the gliomas and two-and-a-half times more likely to get the acoustic neuromas than other people," the study said. The Indian study is expected to show results in the next five months.

Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) is conducting the study in five centres including PGI, Chandigarh. Individual trials are being conducted to look at how mobile phones can cause sleep disorders, memory lapses and hearing impairment.

TOI had recently reported about what psychiatrists call ringxiety — a phenomenon in which users imagine their phone ringing or feel it vibrate when it actually doesn't.

Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cell_ta...how/2441054.cms

If this post is in the wrong topic, admins/mods may please move it.

Edited by KumaarShah

Do you believe in such researchs since every other research contradicts what the previous research had said

One day they say mobile are harmful and the next day they say it is safe

I believe such researchs are waste of time

Mobile phones have been in vogue only for the past 10 years or so, maximum. Only recently (5 + years) it has been heavily used in developing countries. So its negative effects will not come out quickly as many would like to think. It is very difficult to concede that there is nothing in these reseraches.So many radiating towers and toxic mobile phones etc...may not be totally harmless!

^^^

I fully agree with you. Thats why our Indian govt. research may be spread over five years or more. Till then maybe we will all have brain tumours and what not. But we cannot remain incommunicado also, right? So we will use cells and wait for 5 years or more.

As a rule however, I always avoid the cell when I am around LLs in my office or in my home. By the way, does a wired LL also emit radiation? What about FWPs? I use more of FWP than BSNL LLs because the voice clarity is louder/better in my FWPs. This is my experience. Of course a little bit of crackling is always there in FWPs.

Edited by KumaarShah

I always thought that wired landlines have the best voice clarity?!?! At least thats been my experience. Have seldom used FWPs though. But in my experience the line is clearest when Im calling another BSNL lanline from my BSNL landline. A wired landline would also be the sefest bet wrt radiation, i reckon...

Wired landlinelines are the best choice if we have to avoid radiation, fwt stands second, 3rd fwp wrt radiation. i always try to use handsfree while using my mobile but of late i've been experiencing headache while using mobile phone without handsfree since a week. So guys start using handsfree as often as possible or else use loudspeaker.

I too get dizzy after long use hence i too use handsfree for long talks. :)