Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dkaile

Build A Full Fledge Core2duo Windows 7 Pc For Sub 25k

i have been using 7000 (beta) and now 7100 for the last almost 10 days or so. While most of the flaws of vista are ironed out, there are a number of things that need to be taken care of before they release the final version. Explorer not responding is still seen, wireless network detection is actually worse. Meida player sometimes does not respond (may be compatibility issues with codec packs) requiring restarts at times.

While it is definitely lighter than vista, I dont think you will be able to run it comfortably on a 1GB ram.

@ Dhiraj & Tanveer

My dear friends, did you experience any CRASHES till date on Windows 7 RC. As Microsoft has repeatedly told that users may experience CRASHES in between.

I also started downloading it and its 30% completed till now.

I'm going to install Windows 7 RC on my main machine, so a little bit concerned about CRASHES.

completed downloading and installation, running smoothly for me....

no crashes till yet.........

@amitjain

maybe tanveers right that 1gb may be less for netbook usage; i am using on 2 gb home pc; thats why u are facing so many problems; but officially W7 is well supported for netbooks and is less resource hungry; its been said to be even run on celeron processor with 512mb ram and 20gb hdd

@tanveer

no issues faced so far of explorer, wireless detection and wm player; maybe as i have loaded no separate codecs; also may depend on usage from person to person

@kamal

Just go ahead, no crashes so far, absolutely stable... just ensure basic hardware configuration...

Installing from usb hard disk-

- format usb hdd to ntfs or fat32 (with pendrive, it has to be fat32 only)

- then convert usb pendrive to ntfs by go to Start-run-cmd and run command convert Y: /fs:ntfs (it may ask to dismount and mount again - allow it)

- on desktop insert windows7 dvd and open elevated command prompt with admin rights (by right clicking the Command Prompt icon and clicking open as administrator)

- go to X: ; then cd boot; then run the command - bootsect /nt60 Y: and then xcopy X:\ Y:\ /e/f (where X: is the DVD drive and Y: is the usb hdd or pendrive)

This will place bootloader and then copy entire contents of the dvd onto the usb hdd; this also installs faster, besides the fact that windows7 is well suited to a netbook.

Edited by dkaile

Windows 7 has better wordpad (with support for docx), better calculator, inbuilt iso burning, better uac and much much more...

Run multiple copies of application from the task bar by pressing shift+click the icon (as by default it will open the same window only unlike xp where it opens a separate window on each click)

Installing from usb hard disk-

- format usb hdd to ntfs or fat32 (with pendrive, it has to be fat32 only)

- then convert usb pendrive to ntfs by go to Start-run-cmd and run command convert Y: /fs:ntfs (it may ask to dismount and mount again - allow it)

- on desktop insert windows7 dvd and open elevated command prompt with admin rights (by right clicking the Command Prompt icon and clicking open as administrator)

- go to X: ; then cd boot; then run the command - bootsect /nt60 Y: and then xcopy X:\ Y:\ /e/f (where X: is the DVD drive and Y: is the usb hdd or pendrive)

This will place bootloader and then copy entire contents of the dvd onto the usb hdd; this also installs faster, besides the fact that windows7 is well suited to a netbook.

I just copied pasted whole extracted iso file into pen drive without doing anything, and it boots well and install whole windows.

I am in process of Downloading Windows 7... I want to use it on my main machine i.e. my laptop. At present i'm using Vista Home Basic preloaded by HP... My config is 2 GB Ram & 2.0 Ghz Amd Turion Processor & 250 GB Hard disk... I have two partion of 117 GB & 106 GB over and above Recovery Partion...

I want techinal help on following matters:-

1) Should I remove Vista and install Windows 7 OR keep both OS by using Advance Options so that i can have dual booting...

2) For single Os, will I have to first format my C: and do a fresh installation or I can upgrade straight ways to Windows 7

3) Will Windows 7 automatically install drivers for my webcam, sound, card reader etc. Or I i'll have to install them manually.. and would it accept Vista drivers..

Pls. help... Also, if i have missed something... pls. give your valuable suggestions..

Thanks in advance...

Edited by amit.shah

^

1. I would suggest you use Dual boot in the beginning so that you are comfortable and you can take a full fledge plunge at a later date

2. Clean Install (i.e. format c:) is recommended; I would suggest you do dual boot and clean install on d: i.e. format d: and install on that while keeping all your data on c: intact

3. 99.99% it will be able to detect and install all your devices as your laptop is a recent one; otherwise all vista drivers will work with W7

Problem faced update:

When I set the systems power settings to go into Sleep after 30 minutes (which is default setting by the way) and changed its setting not to ask for user password on wake up; it gave me problem and it would shut down system completely instead of going to sleep;

SOLUTION: I disabled its ability to go to sleep and chose the High performance power scheme by default and problem was solved;

^

1. I would suggest you use Dual boot in the beginning so that you are comfortable and you can take a full fledge plunge at a later date

2. Clean Install (i.e. format c:) is recommended; I would suggest you do dual boot and clean install on d: i.e. format d: and install on that while keeping all your data on c: intact

3. 99.99% it will be able to detect and install all your devices as your laptop is a recent one; otherwise all vista drivers will work with W7

Thanks Dhiraj for clearing all my doubts... I'll sure go for dual booting...

Problem Faced Update:

Yes, The windows explorer shutting down automatically while browsing a particular folder has surfaced. I am unable to browse my C:\dbase folder. Whenever i try to browse it, explorer shuts down. Resolution is being searched.

CRASHED - Encountered my first system crash; While trying to restore my computer to an earlier time, for resolving this problem in windows explorer as detailed above, my system crashed and tried searching and repairing itself; tried for 15 minutes, failed and then shut down whole system automatically; Restarted and IT RECOVERED ITSELF, and working perfectly except the windows explorer problem where it is not opening my c:\dbase folder; opening everything else; sent error report to microsoft; awaiting resolution in the next update... working on W7, everything else seems ok for the moment...

Edited by dkaile

Success !!!

Posting this is my first task in windows 7.. i downloaded using a torrent.. while restarting inbetween installation, i got an error couple of times.

"files are possibly corrupt, the file header checksum does not match the computed checksum" but worked when i restarted again..

i am getting this error on most of the time i start system, this error comes just before the windows boot manager..

post-25387-1245335179_thumb.jpg

post-25387-1245335194_thumb.jpg

Edited by savramesh

during installation i entered the KEY and got an error saying 'this key is not available with this WRC'. but i was able to install and use windows without a key.

it started downloading some updates after the first boot. after updating, it asked to restart and i did. now when i boot inside windows 7 i am getting the following screen..

post-25387-1245335607_thumb.jpg

^

This problem seems to be about your video resolution/video card; open in safe mode and check your video resolution; also earlier errors like checksum could be a virus; thirdly you will be able to use W7 for a few days without a valid key but only for a few days; that is why I suggested downloading from site/use a clean iso and use the key you got from Windows site after registering through your hotmail account;

^^^

will check video resolution in safe mode..

i was unsuccessful 3 times to download from microsoft, thats y tried torrent..

after writing the dvd i scanned for virus before installation..

After downloading Windows 7 from Windows site using their download manager from last 4 days it showed me 100% complete and then some checking mode started... suddenly i don't wat happened it reflected some error and then again the download manager started downloading from scratch i.e. 0%...

I had done all preparations for dual booting i.e. transferred all my data from e: to c: and server... I had also formatted e: as advised by dhiraj...

Well... as of now i have aborted my plans to use Windows 7... coz i can't waste next 4-5 days for downloading Windows 7... and have started moving back my previous data to e:

I had a great wish to try Windows 7... but alas...

finally i planned to download it again from microsoft. i tried it in safari browser.. i got a direct download in safari instead of download manager. so i copied that download link, used it in DAP and it started downloading [45% completed now]..

Edited by savramesh

After several restarts, windows 7 suddenly informed me that some startup error has occurred and need to perform a system repair, i did it.. after the process it said some errors could not be repaired and the details are sent to microsoft..

now after this the checksum error during boot seems to be removed.. now only the display problem mentioned in post #39 is still there.. i tried changing to low resolutions using safe mode, but it did not help...

there was a power failure yesterday night. DAP was done 50% that time, but when resumed it started from 23% and now reached 53%... hope this time it will be done..

I installed Windows 7 and removed from system today after usage of about 24 hours.

Actual problem begun after installing AVG 8.5 and printer drivers.

After installation I got explorer.exe error for not less than 20 times and every time I have to restart system. It can not find any solutions online / otherwise.

I liked taskbar of WIN7 a lot. Also its faster than Vista. I think waiting for final release is worth. Its certainly appearing better than vista performance wise. Also driver support is better. My laptop was not supported by vista. Where as in WIN7all hardware were enabled.

I used Windows 7 for 6-7 days, I didnt get a single Error though.

Still I removed. Becuase I didnt like its Graphics and Taskbar.

I am on Win7 RC from the day it released. Absolutely no problems on my desktop. Smoother and Faster than Vista on the same machine.

finally finished the 100% genuine download using DAP and just installed a fresh windows 7. it has booted for the first time and doing recommended windows 7 update now.. last time it worked till here, while restarting only i started getting display problem.

before this installation i did a windows 7 compatibility test and it passed with one issue. "Your current video graphics card will not support Windows Aero" so i guess this service was the cause of display problem.

lets see this time, how it works with this genuine installation. if the same problem comes, then i think i will have disable windows aero service using safe mode.. hope everything will go fine..

finally found the exact cause of display problem.

the problem came only after the first windows update, so i checked what is updated [update history], updates were audio drivers and display adapter drivers..

so i disabled display adaptor and restarted..

now its working fine..

post-25387-1245677869_thumb.jpg