Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
me_saket

Samsung Corby Speed CDMA Launched

:previous: Of course!

Is EVDO useful for WAP/ Surfing on Mobile.

didnt understand what u want to ask

y will evdo be not useful

we people have bee deprived of 3G for so long

@Dr

I meant to ask whether EVDO can be used for surfing on mobile.

:previous: Yes

hey guys, I need to buy this phone for my mom.

She only has to do calling (high usage) & texting(very low). is this phone worth a buy? Can somebody highlight the negatives and positives of the corby cdma? how is the battery life??? and most importantly, the screen. Is it anyway near the iPhone?

also what color jackets are inside the box? mom wants a full black phone.

Edited by spawnfreak

previous.gif Why on Earth would you want this phone when it will be used only for calling and minimal texting? Besides, its not great for texting. The basic phones around 1 - 2 k would be far more appropriate!

Corby CDMA's screen is resistive. iPhone's is capacitive. So it is of course not at all comparable.

Edited by raccoon

because of bling value!

me, my dad n my bro, we all 3 have iPhone 3GS and certainly we wont let mom have an el cheapo phone which looks too downmarket!

You are a RimGuru and are replying to my query like a professional but you don't know Corby has a capacitative touch screen....

If you want a proper phone, go for Sprint HTC Hero which will also have a niche value, that no one else in your surroundings will have that phone... you will forget corby for good...

But please restrain from being offensive to fellow members...

If you want a proper phone, go for Sprint HTC Hero which will also have a niche value, that no one else in your surroundings will have that phone... you will forget corby for good...

But please restrain from being offensive to fellow members...

i want a trouble free and with warranty CDMA phone which is guaranteed to run on TATA's network. Corby is the best phone therefore for my needs.

What is the guarantee that tomorrow Tata/Reliance stops accepting foreign ESNs??

^

You are really talking like a newbie and dont understand our topics fully... no gains, without pains.....

anyways, your choice...

previous.gif Why on Earth would you want this phone when it will be used only for calling and minimal texting? Besides, its not great for texting. The basic phones around 1 - 2 k would be far more appropriate!

Corby CDMA's screen is resistive. iPhone's is capacitative. So it is of course not at all comparable.

Dear raccon i hav mentioned that this phone is not good for texting. can u please highlight it more cos i was considering to go for this phone since it has a virtual qwerty keyboard which can be helpful in texting.pls share your experience to help me decide abt it.

thanks

previous.gif Dude, let me 1st mention that I'v handled this fone (friend's) for a v short while. Though It has a virtual querty keypad, it is small and one is prone to make mistakes on closely spaced keys on a totally flat surface. There is nothing like real separate well designed keys, with good tactile feedback, if you want to do fast and efficient texting. Otherwise its not like its really bad. This is the opinion of my friend too... who has been using it for about a month.

Anyway, I suggest you also seek opinions of others here who have actually used to phone extensively for texting.

Confirmed with my friend - screen is definitely resistive.

^

Corby does have a capacitive touch screen like the Hero and iPhone... but its quality is not comparable to these phones...

Corby CDMA's screen is resistive. iPhone's is capacitative. So it is of course not at all comparable.

Dear raccon i hav mentioned that this phone is not good for texting. can u please highlight it more cos i was considering to go for this phone since it has a virtual qwerty keyboard which can be helpful in texting.pls share your experience to help me decide abt it.

thanks

I have been using this phone for 3 or 4 months now (dont remember the exact date on which i bought it).. i am a heavy text user. and in my opinion the messaging on this phone is good. i approx send 100 sms per day out of which approx 50 are typed (i mean i type them for chatting purpose). and believe me typing on virtual keypad is not painful. but if u talk about the virtual qwerty keypad, then i m sure u wont be able to use it for long time. its so small that u cant type easily and correctly.

^

Corby does have a capacitive touch screen like the Hero and iPhone... but its quality is not comparable to these phones...

Interesting... when I used my friend's phone, I kinda recall that it even felt like resistive, as li'l pressure was required. Hope that site is right... I tried for few mins. to search for the specs. online, but could not find. Unfortunately, it seems most sites, including manufactures just report these phones as touch screens, without mentioning the type.

hey guys, I need to buy this phone for my mom.

She only has to do calling (high usage) & texting(very low). is this phone worth a buy? Can somebody highlight the negatives and positives of the corby cdma? how is the battery life??? and most importantly, the screen. Is it anyway near the iPhone?

also what color jackets are inside the box? mom wants a full black phone.

I am using corby for the last 2 weeks,no issues in typing smses.

For me its a best one for forwarding smses to multiple contacts(very easy)

For calling-there is no speed dial but fav contacts & photo contacts for direct dialing.

Battery life is more than day (not heavy calling but lots of msging).

Its a full black sleek phone with yellow & pink jackets(back cover).

screen is ok but sometimes does not respond,this happened only when i type alphabets in phonebook to search contacts.

High speed internet is the best feature of this phone.I am getting upto 2Mbps on my pc.

thanks

I have been using this phone for 3 or 4 months now (dont remember the exact date on which i bought it).. i am a heavy text user. and in my opinion the messaging on this phone is good. i approx send 100 sms per day out of which approx 50 are typed (i mean i type them for chatting purpose). and believe me typing on virtual keypad is not painful. but if u talk about the virtual qwerty keypad, then i m sure u wont be able to use it for long time. its so small that u cant type easily and correctly.

Thanks for your opinion Ankur. I understand the qwerty keyboards on these phones are quite small. But I have tried typing on my friend's Samsung Duos w299 phone and found it ok to type as my fingers are thin. is this keyboard smaller than Duos w299 qwerty keyboard. pls clarify.

:previous:

Yes, it is because the touch sensitivity of the screen is so bad, that even Samsung is feeling shy to proclaim it as having Capacitive touchScreen...

I too had a look at the phone and initially got the feeling that the screen is resistive, as touch response is sluggish and NOT as good as my friend's iPodTouch.. Bored with TS performance, I used a stick to check the other options in the phone and the screen shows NO response at all and hence I concluded that it is a capacitive TS phone :rofl_200::Riendo::Contento: LOLz... This screen is having the disadvantages of Capacitive screen (only fingers) and LACKS (almost 50%) huge advantage of capacitive TouchScreen, due to poor response of screen..

No wonder, the screen felt like resistive to Raccoon Sir...

Samsung is the pioneer of capacitive screens worldwide... donno why they gave such a poor quality one to Corby...

Yes, it is because the touch sensitivity of the screen is so bad, that even Samsung is feeling shy to proclaim it as having Capacitive touchScreen...

I too had a look at the phone and initially got the feeling that the screen is resistive, as touch response is sluggish and NOT as good as my friend's iPodTouch.. Bored with TS performance, I used a stick to check the other options in the phone and the screen shows NO response at all and hence I concluded that it is a capacitive TS phone :rofl_200::Riendo::Contento: LOLz... This screen is having the disadvantages of Capacitive screen (only fingers) and LACKS (almost 50%) huge advantage of capacitive TouchScreen, due to poor response of screen..

Ah...!? Well, today morning, I asked my friend to try using a pen or something to see if it works... yet to hear from him. By definition, a capacitive screen should work without pressure... just finger contact should be enough. Seems Samsung has done something amazing! Lol!!

In this case, even though the screen may technically be capacitive, but for all practical purposes (except the fact that you can't use a stylus), it should be considered a resistive screen. Contento.gif

I'd wonder why they have bothered to use capacitive screens at all. They could have plonked in a resistive ones and saved on cost.

Btw, do GSM Corby screens also have the same issues?

Anyway, for the wrong info, but my own experience and my friend's testimony pointed to a resistive screen. Equivocado.gif

Edited by raccoon

^^^

Tested on GSM corby plus, my stylus did not work on it. fingers works perfectly.

Ah...!? Well, today morning, I asked my friend to try using a pen or something to see if it works... yet to hear from him. By definition, a capacitive screen should work without pressure... just finger contact should be enough. Seems Samsung has done something amazing! Lol!!

In this case, even though the screen may technically be capacitive, but for all practical purposes (except the fact that you can't use a stylus), it should be considered a resistive screen. Contento.gif

I'd wonder why they have bothered to use capacitive screens at all. They could have plonked in a resistive ones and saved on cost.

Btw, do GSM Corby screens also have the same issues?

Anyway, for the wrong info, but my own experience and my friend's testimony pointed to a resistive screen. Equivocado.gif

For your Information.. please

I am using this phone (corby speed f339) since february end. i am using all sort of gadgets with it for touching the screen. i mean i use stylus of my cousins HTC Touch while playing games, i use ballpen's cover's tip for more precise actions, i use my nail tips, i use my keys some times. everything works fine.

Soon you will damage your screen !!!

^

howto identify capacitive or resistive,

What's basic differnce in both?

thanks

very correct

I never use qwerty keyboard, insstead i use number keypad with ABC on Digit 2,

So i commented previosly not good at smsing,

bcoz u have qwerty keypad, touch screen but can't utilize it's full benifit.