Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
csmart

Govt Finalised The Rupee Symbol

Source 1

Source 2

Cabinet approves new symbol for Indian Rupee

Delhi: India has finally got a symbol for the Rupee and joined a select club of countries whose currencies have an unique identity.

The Union Cabinet on Thursday approved the design, which includes both the Devnagiri 'Ra' and the Roman capital 'R' and has two parallel lines running at the top. The parallel lines symbolise the equal to sign. "With this India will join an elite group of countries which have a distinct currency symbol. It denotes the robustness of Indian economy. I will now hold up the design that was finally selected. This was sent in by Udaya Kumar," said Minister for Information and Broadcasting Ambika Soni in New Delhi.

She said that the Rupee symbol was a nice blend of modernity and Indian culture. The symbol selected has been designed by an Indian Institute of Technology postgraduate D Udaya Kumar and was selected from among five short listed symbols. Kumar, who is with the Department of Design at IIT Guwahati, explained that the design is based on the Indian Tricolour.

"My design is based on the Tricolour with two lines at the top and white space in between. I wanted the symbol for the Rupee to represent the Indian flag. It is a perfect blend of Indian and Roman letters: a capital 'R', and Devnagari 'Ra', which represent rupiya, to appeal to international and Indian audiences. After working on the design for few months, I shortlisted eight to 10 designs and then refined them further till I got this one," said Kumar. All new notes will now bear the symbol.

news_rupee_150710.jpg

• Like 3

Good news :clap:

A nice appealing design indeed!!I like it.

:clap::clap::clap:

Congrats INDIA...... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice design. When do we see it incorporated into Fonts?

beautiful, artistic and contemporary symbol... :clap:

Another pride moment for every Indian. This is another step forward.We will be leading the world soon.

the coming challenge will be to implement whereever it is required.

for e.g. we do not have this symbol in computer keyboard, etc.. will have to replace or will require some add-ons.

Indeed Good Job by Govt

They realised it very late

While waiting for a proper font implementation, a good approximation will be the letter 'Ra' with strikeout!

The best thing i like is it has Devnagri "RA" in it :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice Find - +1

:previous:

This one is 2days Newspaper Headline Sir

Edited by parin

Very good Logo.

so finally India also joined the Elite club of Countries having currency symbol ...........good symbol

At last finalised. but its all worth waiting :SI::SI::SI:

As the symbol is in devnagri, will it face any trouble in South, where people don't value Devnagri script as such?

^ but they do understand english and it also looks like the alphabet "R" ... It will catch on... Its a beautiful piece of innovation including both devnagri and english scripts...

i dont think why south indians will have problem. they should think of it as 'R' (as Dk said) and then 2 horizontal lines. if they dont make political issue then no problem. in fact one of the journalists ask same question to Ms. Soni and she said this is the symbol and you can interpret the way you want.

Oh yes, it does look like R :D wonder how I missed it!

see... its how u see it.... besides, it something we should be proud of as Indians.. we should appreciate govt at least for this.. in budget it was announced that symbol will be finalised by year end. but they were quick this time..