Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
csmart

Question about Atom Based PC

21 members have voted

1. 1. which processor you will buy?

• Intel ixCore series
    • Intel atom
    • AMD

i want to buy an assembled PC for my home. I want to replace the old one with new. i was thinking of buying Atom based PC. the main purpose is surfing, some word processing and playing hames like FIFA, GTA etc. these games require a good graphic card. i already have a graphic card (abt 6 month old).

i want to know that whether i can sue this card or not. i know certain atom motherboard supports additional graphic card. my current PC is Core 2 duo (assembled).

the cost of atom is very low compare to other processor. i need advice from whoever has used it. whether it is worth or not. i dont have budget contrainsts.. but at the same time, want to try it out...

^^^

LOL

you are going for ATOM and u already have c2d ?

you are doing big mistake by doing this.

add some ram and a good PCI-Ex card and you system will be as good as new,

I would definitely advise against the Atom. I do not even like Atom netbooks!

Get a 45nm AMD X2 Dual Core - Black Edition CPU

LOL! Atom and Games! Don't even think about it.

Post your Current PC Config. and details of your Graphic Card.

current PC

Intel COre 2 Duo 2GHZ

160 GB HDD

2 GB RAM

DVD writer

19" Viewsonic

NVIDIA chipset - 512 RAM

i have to give one PC in "free fund" to someone. so i was thinking of giving this old PC to him and buy new one for home...

for gamming pupose ATOM is not at all good.

but for day to day home use ATOM is suggested because it's very less power hungry. I am already having ATOM base system as well as C2D system.

for normal word processing and Net Surfing Atom is cheap and best.

in one of the school in UP i installed 40 atom based Systems(IntelATOm with Orginal Intel Board, 17inch LCD, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, DVDRW) even after one year these systems are very smooth. major advantge that they got was saving in electricity bill

current PC

Intel COre 2 Duo 2GHZ

160 GB HDD

2 GB RAM

DVD writer

19" Viewsonic

NVIDIA chipset - 512 RAM

i have to give one PC in "free fund" to someone. so i was thinking of giving this old PC to him and buy new one for home...

So as i understand you want to go for a totally new PC.

You have not still posted the details of your graphic card whether it is PCI-x, Model No. etc.

Also what is the budget you have in mind excluding Monitor Cost. (Monitor size is personal choice and can be decided later.)

Wide choice  PC Configs are available, but unless you zero down on budget, impossible to give suggestions.

budget max. Rs. 18000/- Graphic card is Nvidia GForce 8400 PCI express manufactured by sparkel.

for gaming you should go for i3 processor... might come under you budget.

but with a graphics card + 19+ inches monitor... i think you have to pay a little more.

If you want to buy a PC for purely Gaming pleasure, I suggest you to get the best technology available today.

This is because the rapid pace at which new games are developed and new graphics processors are developed and marketted into the market, your PC is going to seem obsolete in a month, dosent matter even you have the bought the latest technology PC.

before buying a configuration, keep in mind about the games which you gonna play in coming years and not about those games which you can play today.

Note: Keep the Canibinet/PSU unit in the end of your shopping list.

I did this mistake... bought low power PSU and later bought High End Graphics card, and found that my PSU is not able to supply sufficient power to Graphic Card. So i have to change the PSU again.

it seems nobody is in favor of atom.... will check out what else can be done...

Phew! Rs. 18,000/- Budget. Wants gaming. Well lets build a value high performance system at this price point. All prices given below are approx.

As far as your Current Graphic Card is concerned, it is roughly having the same performance as ATI Radeon HD 4200 which is part of the following MSI Motherboard.

So no need to put that Graphic Card in the following system.

PROCESSOR

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Rs. 5050

MOTHERBOARD

MSI 785GM-E51 Rs. 3900

MEMORY

Transcend/Kingston

DDR3-1333 2 GB Rs. 2500

HARD DISK

WD Caviar Blue 500GB

WD5000AAKS Rs. 2050

DVD WRITER

SONY OPTIARC AD-7240S-0B

SATA Rs. 1250

CABINET

CIRCLE ROYALE

with 3 Front USB Port,

2 Audio Port,Firewire Port

and Built in Card Reader Rs. 1850

KEYBOARD MOUSE

Logitech Wireless Desktop

MK250 Rs. 1200

GRAND TOTAL Rs. 17800

Rational:

Processor: Quad Core 2.9 Ghz CPU (4 Cores) at budget price.

Motherboard: Feature rich, Winner of CHIP Magazine Best Value Award.

Cabinet: Only Cabinet at this price range to have all this front ports and card reader.

Keyboard Mouse: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse from Logitech. Tried and tested.

Why AMD?

-Can you build a Quad Core CPU system at this price point in INTEL?

Suggestions:

Increase your budget by Rs. 2500/- if you can and go for additional 2GB RAM. It will work wonders in performance particularly if you are going to use Windows 7. For Windows XP 2 GB should suffice if you really want to stick to budget.

For approx. Rs. 1200/- more you can get a 1 TB Hard Drive.

• Like 1

I want a new CPU too. Kindly suggest a gud system ... Which Motherboard and processor to go for......

1. Are Intel original motherboards coming recycled these days ??

2. computer wala sugesting me to go for ASUS motherboard then intel as ASUS is having graphix card of 512MB

3. Which Processor is better Dual Core, Core2duo , Quad Core or new i-series ??? computer wala said i-series of no use !!! no speed variations then core2duo...

Please suggest !!!!

I want a new CPU too. Kindly suggest a gud system ... Which Motherboard and processor to go for......

2. computer wala sugesting me to go for ASUS motherboard then intel as ASUS is having graphix card of 512MB

3. Which Processor is better Dual Core, Core2duo , Quad Core or new i-series ??? computer wala said i-series of no use !!! no speed variations then core2duo...

Please suggest !!!!

1. Did not get you there by the term recycled. No. If Intel motherboards purchased from a good source are all originals.

2. No motherboard comes with separate graphic card. It is integarated display graphics which shares your main memory for graphics memory. Whether to go for Asus or Intel motherboard will depend on the processor choice, your usage pattern and budget.

3. Which processor is better depends completely on the following factors,

-Your usage

-Your budget

Forget about the computer walla. Post the following details and i will be able to suggest a good system for you,

-Primary usage of the system. Say Yes or No if you are going to use the following features,

Internet Browsing

Normal Office Applications Usage

Normal multimedia like music playing, Full HD Movie Playback etc.

Light Gaming

Heavy Gaming

Video Encoding

Graphics Rendering Like 3d Studio Max Etc.

Animation Like Maya Etc.

Again after putting YES or NO to all of the above, put your budget or if you have unlimited budget say so.

Please suggest !!!!

-Primary usage of the system. Say Yes or No if you are going to use the following features,

Internet Browsing YES

Normal Office Applications Usage YES

Normal multimedia like music playing, Full HD Movie Playback etc. YES

Light Gaming YES

Heavy Gaming YES

Video Encoding YES

Graphics Rendering Like 3d Studio Max Etc. NOT NECESSARY

Animation Like Maya Etc. NOT NECESSARY

BUDGET CAN BE 10000/- OR LET ME KNW I CAN INCREASE NO PROBS ONLY CPU NEEDED REST ALL I HAVE ALSO WHICH DVD WRITER IS BEST ?? AND WOTS THE COST FOR BLURAY WRITERS AND I HOPE THEY SUPPORT DVD AND CD ALSO :)

Again after putting YES or NO to all of the above, put your budget or if you have unlimited budget say so.

Please suggest !!!!

Internet Browsing YES

Light Gaming YES

Heavy Gaming YES

Video Encoding YES

BUDGET CAN BE 10000/- OR LET ME KNW I CAN INCREASE NO PROBS ONLY CPU NEEDED REST ALL I HAVE ALSO WHICH DVD WRITER IS BEST ?? AND WOTS THE COST FOR BLURAY WRITERS AND I HOPE THEY SUPPORT DVD AND CD ALSO :)

Do you want to just upgrade the CPU in your current system or want a brand new system?

If just want to upgrade the CPU, mention your Motherboard Model No. and Brand.

DVD Writer i have already mentioned in the configuration given.

For Blu-Ray writers, earlier one LG Model was available which is no longer on the shelf now.

Pioneer BDR-205 Blu-Ray Burner Costs aprrox. Rs. 16,500-. This one supports Read and Write for DVD but only Read for CD.

I have a bunch of Atom CPU based PCs in my office. Atom CPU is as powerful as a Intel 2.66GHz CPU with Hyperthreading that was the best available CPU in 2003. Only difference is that Atom CPUs consume very little power and hence emit very little heat.

Atom CPU based PCs are good enough for browsing, email, chat or MS Office type of work. Anything more than that, these machines are nor simply not sufficient. I am speaking from 15 months of experience. In any case Atom CPU can't hold even a candle in front of Core2Duo CPU based machines.

Please suggest !!!!

Internet Browsing YES

Light Gaming YES

Heavy Gaming YES

Video Encoding YES

Do you want to just upgrade the CPU in your current system or want a brand new system?

If just want to upgrade the CPU, mention your Motherboard Model No. and Brand.

DVD Writer i have already mentioned in the configuration given.

For Blu-Ray writers, earlier one LG Model was available which is no longer on the shelf now.

Pioneer BDR-205 Blu-Ray Burner Costs aprrox. Rs. 16,500-. This one supports Read and Write for DVD but only Read for CD.

My old CPU was with intel 101GGC original motherboard with Pentium4 3.1 or 3.0 with 1 gb ram (512x2) out of which one ram got burned. 80GB hard disk Sony DVD Writer.

I dont want upgrade. I want a New n fresh CPU :) ALso tell me about Light Scribe DvD Writers which print images on CD/DVD ...Are they really usefull and wots the price diff and their speed of writing ??

@rajanmehta ryr suggestion seems good. will look at that option. but i have never used AMD products and so little concern about it

Edited by csmart

@vikasmahajanz

Well if you need a brand new system, the configuration i mentioned is a perfect fit for you based on your usage patterns mentioned. This is the most economical but at the same time high performance option. With similar specs in Intel, you will end up spending much more which is not necessary at all.

Lightscribe DVD writers are same in all other respects like speed etc but with the added option of printing Image on them. It takes nearly 30-35 minutes to print image on your media after burning in Lightscribe. Image printing is in greyscale only and not in color. You need Lightscribe compatible DVD or CD media for printing images on them. This media is costlier than the normal media. Personally, i did not find much use of this. However no harm in having the feature. For pricing, it is aprrox. Rs. 150-300 more than the normal writers.

@rajanmehta ryr suggestion seems good. will look at that option. but i have never used AMD products and so little concern about it

If one has not used a brand that cannot be a cause of concern unless it is based on some rational points. How many different models of Mobiles you buy? Obviously you are always looking at best mix of value and features. Do you say that you will only use Nokia and nothing else.No need to worry. I Have used hundreds of AMD Systems at enterprise level also and they work very well giving you an unbeatable mix of value, features and performance.

If you really have any technical point for AMD system suggested as compared to Intel at this budget, post it. Otherwise Go ahead and enjoy AMD.

@vikasmahajanz

@csmart

Did both of you decide anything about your new system?

Edited by rajanmehta

not yet decided.. tied up with other works...

me toooo actually i m using my laptop these days attached to my 19" LCD , already given my cpu to computer wala for sale !!!!! will wait now for new technology or prices may drop more :)