Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
swaroop

All About Nokia 6255

RWorld is supposed to work on the phone. Or so is claimed! Though apparently the videos dont.

However the phone does support video streaming. So you might have to wait for RIM to get things in order.

And the LG 6600 doesnt support RWORLD!!!! :):lol::lol:

Yes The output is Stereo but only through Headphones...it has a built in Speaker which of course is Mono.

I have bought the phone From Nokia Showroom for 12500/- on 19th of July. The phone has lots of useful features like VGA Still and movie camera. With Clipping of 3 minutes. The camera results were good. It has a built in flash too. Radio FM and MP3 Player quality is also good. comes with 32MB MMC card. Blue tooth is the best thing happened to the CDMA phones. So if you are planning to buy one you should go ahead with it or if still you have more question to ask...Main Hoon Na.

How fast does it become hot if handset ear piece is used? Does the battery compartment get heated also? Please test by speaking for atleast 15 minutes do you feel the radiation effect on the ear and the constant need to switch from one ear to another.

Please tell us.

Thanks.

Regards,

mitul

Did a brief review of the phone at a webworld today.

I'm sorry to say most of my enthu is gone. :help::help:

1. Price has now become Rs. 15,000! Probably negotiable but I didnt waste my breath.

2. Its too heavy to hold and play with. And whats the fun if you cant play with it all day.

3. The display is not as bright as my Samsung 563, which despite its 4k colours still looks like the most awesome screen I've seen till date!

4. When Rworld loads up the screen looks green and crappy (maybe RIM's fault) but not at all pleasing to the eye. All menus here are text and theres no video.

5. Data cables not available.

6. Interface colours could have been livelier!

7. Cam was kinda crappy

All that said... the sound (a couple of ringtones etc) that I heard was excellent. And MP3 & radio support sounds good although I didnt hear it.

Still I was disappointed. Certainly woulldnt pay 15k for it.

(Sigh) I guess its back to my old 563 for now... till some of those damned GSM operators get worthwhile dataservices (read RConnect type services) I'm stuck here.

Mitul:

I cant imagine you're too happy with the 6585, but why were you thinking about changing?

Also can you download java apps into the 6585? Or use its wap services directly?

Edited by anujit

3. The display is not as bright as my Samsung 563, which despite its 4k colours still looks like the most awesome screen I've seen till date!

(Sigh) I guess its back to my old 563 for now...

36248[/snapback]

All said and done, I still feel that Samsung A-563 was the best phone from Reliance. It was least buggy and supports almost all feature (I assume you are not looking for CAM). Though Nokia phones would be less buggy, but they do not support R-World completely.

True Puneet the 563 is great but after 2 years one looks for new options.... and one looks and looks and looks.....!!!!!!

^$#*&^*^*&^*^&(^)$#&^$*^% RIM!

Answering a few of your questions

I don't see the battery getting heated up even after talking for 1 hrs continously.

I took some snaps from the camera in case if you are interested mail me to daftpunkrox@gmail.com i'll mail the pic back for your reference (am in office so can't upload or check my mails - darn websense).

I am playing with my fone since last three days and so far saw three paranormal activities i.e. bugs

(a) Yesterday twice i saw my phone getting disconnected from the reliance network... the fone was showin "connecting to the network". at the same time my colleagues with reliance had full signal strength. after i restarted it was working just fine.

( :help: while playing a media video file if i scroll down to a gif image the phone dies for 5 seconds and comes back.

© When bluetooth is enabled i can't receive the phone call (can anyone please confirm if this by design and expected or am i seeing (a) again?

Also i could connect the fatso phone using the blue tooth dongle and nokia's pc suite but couldn't freakin connect to the net via bluetooth. Any ideas/pointers/URLs as to how to do it? I tried using the DUN modem/Nokia Generic Modem 2000/Nokia 7710 bluetooth modem. Do i need to do anything extra?

I do not want to invest 1400 RS for original DKU2 cable to connect to the net, the dealers here are saying the local DKU2 cable won't work either? Can some one please post if this is for real? or some body has had any luck with local DKU2 cables?

thanks guys

I have seen reports on other sites about the shutdown problem.

As for the bluetooth... that doesnt make sense, because that would mean you can't use a bluetooth handsfree!!!

hi this is iqbal, hey i too have bought nokia 6255 and trust me i am really happy with the same. reliance has come out with the finest set , everything works, though r world does not have a video streaming, but i did send a mail to a chairman and they have replied to me saying that update is going on and very soon all the features of r world will be avaliable, regarding bluetooth, yesssssss, it is working....if any queries you can call me on 9324788668 anytime, till then.....have fun

How is the talk quality with the bluetooth headset? Can the opposite person hear clearly? Does the cell hot when used from phone ear piece and not handsfree? How much did you pay for it?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mitul

How is the talk quality with the bluetooth headset? Can the opposite person hear clearly? Does the cell hot when used from phone ear piece and not handsfree? How much did you pay for it?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mitul

36274[/snapback]

well, i know you people will not trust me, but let me be honest to you, the quality of bluetooth is exellentttttttttt better than gsm (trust me) i have a jabra bluetooth, was using a sony ericsson s700i with the jabra bluetooth, i sold the sony ericsson, and i repeat again, i am really happy with nokia 6255 and ofcourse the bluetooth also. i am using jabra bt-110, it comes with AAA battery, no headache of recharging everything, just buy a AAA rechargeable battery and you get a talktime of more than 6 hours everyday. have funnnnnnnnnn iqbal

I bought this phone in Bangalore from RWW for 12.6K(i was forced to buy a prepaid GSK kit, without which they were not letting me buy the phone)... and since then I have been fiddling constantly with the phone. I am very much happy and satisfied with the phone having switched from Nokia 6225. As mentioned by some of the other users of 6255, this is truly an excellent phone. However you may find some difficulty if you are switching over from a non-clamshell handset. I did not venture more into RWorld but I did some file transfers using the IR.. DKU-5 support is not there and i am yet to buy the DKU-2 cable for it.. Nokia PC Suite works fine, except installing Java application.. may be with a DKU-2 cable i would be able to do so. voice clarity is amazing. and the screen too is very large and bright. camera, video are very good. the mp3 player is good again.. clarity is superb. Unlike other nokia phones, the battery gets less heated up(or very negligible) when you talk for long hours. I have used nokia 2112 then nokia 6225 and now 6255 so I am comparing these 3 phones only.

so the bottomline is, its a very feature rich phone for a very good price.

what is jabra bt-110 and where do we insert it? in the 6255 where the regular nokia batt is to be inserted???

36277[/snapback]

Jabra BT-110 is a bluetooth headset its not a battery. Jabra BT-110 comes with AAA battery with a good talktime of upto 15hrs(as claimed).

I bought this phone in Bangalore from RWW for 12.6K(i was forced to buy a prepaid GSK kit, without which they were not letting me buy the phone)... and since then I have been fiddling constantly with the phone.  I am very much happy and satisfied with the phone having switched from Nokia 6225. As mentioned by some of the other users of 6255, this is truly an excellent phone. However you may find some difficulty if you are switching over from a non-clamshell handset. I did not venture more into RWorld but I did some file transfers using the IR.. DKU-5 support is not there and i am yet to buy the DKU-2 cable for it.. Nokia PC Suite works fine, except installing Java application.. may be with a DKU-2 cable i would be able to do so. voice clarity is amazing. and the screen too is very large and bright. camera, video are very good. the mp3 player is good again.. clarity is superb. Unlike other nokia phones, the battery gets less heated up(or very negligible) when you talk for long hours. I have used nokia 2112 then nokia 6225 and now 6255 so I am comparing these 3 phones only.

so the bottomline is, its a very feature rich phone for a very good price.

36281[/snapback]

what is openion about size of the phone? isnt it very big?

Nokia PC Suite works fine, except installing Java application..

36281[/snapback]

the applications cannot be put to this phone?

man thats's the only reason i was going after this phone.

Nokia PC Suite works fine, except installing Java application..

36281[/snapback]

the applications cannot be put to this phone?

man thats's the only reason i was going after this phone.

36305[/snapback]

I think he is trying to say that "THROUGH INFRARED" java apps can not be installed. He has not yet tried it with the DKU2 USB cable. I believe it will work fine with the cable support.

Hi,

Can any1 tell me how to install games / applications in Nokia 6255

Thanks

r2m

<TOPIC MERGED!>

36320[/snapback]

guys am unable to install apps/games. am currently looking at alternative way to install it. in case if some one can help/come-up with any way. plz let us know.

cheers

nitro

The 6255 is a clamshell phone and introduces many features previously unseen in any of their phones. Dual color screens, MMC memory card support, a camera with flash and digital zoom, video player, streaming media capability, an MP3/AAC player and FM radio are among the features that make the 6255 one of the most powerful clamshells on the market.

Along with VGA-quality images, the built-in camera on the Nokia 6255 phone can capture video clips with audio, which can then be sent directly from the handset. Presumably, the video record time will not be too long then. Users can store their pictures, video, and music on a MMC card. Officially, the maximum supported MMC card capacity is 64MB, but people have had success with larger capacity cards in the past in other Nokia handsets.

The 6255 is one of the first CDMA handsets to support Bluetooth, enabling users to sync their contacts with other devices, and use Bluetooth headsets, among other things. The built-in MP3/AAC player allows users to store between 1-2 hours of music on an MMC card to listen to while on the go. FM radio functionality is also included.

Physical Overview

The Nokia 6255 has slightly more straight edges and right angles than most clamshell phone bodies. Even the base of the eternal antenna is squared-off to add to the effect. The visual impression is a good one and the dark grey section on the top panel contrasts with the light grey of the lower section to give the phone a smart appearance.

When closed, the 6255 measures a compact 47 x 85 x 26mm, with a 24mm extendible antenna. On the outside of the lid there’s a 22 x 20mm colour LCD that displays phone status and other information. It acts as a camera viewfinder and works with the caller photo ID function. It has a 96 x 65 resolution and supports 4000 colours. In the bottom left corner of the lid, the VGA camera lens is accompanied by the flash beam light. On the top edge you’ll find an on-off button, the antenna, a fitting for a wrist strap and a mini headphone socket.

On the rear there’s an external speaker (vibration alerts are also supported) and the battery cover that secures with internal clips. If you remove the battery you can lift a hinged cover and install an MMC Card for use with the MP3 player (thicker SD Cards aren’t compatible).

A 32MB card is bundled. There’s another slot for an auxiliary phone card not used locally. On the right edge of the lid there is a button that activates voice dialling, records a voice memo or snaps a picture, depending on how long you press it for or the mode you are in. On the right edge of the base there’s an infrared port. On the bottom edge there’s a port for the AC adapter and another for accessory connectors, such as a USB cable (optional) and a radio tuner headset (bundled). On the left side of the base there’s a volume button for audio playback and earpiece volume. Inside the lid the 65K active matrix LCD measures 32 x 41mm and has a 128 x 160 resolution. It is surrounded with a mirrored frame. The 6255’s shutdown time is around four seconds with start-up taking approximately 15 seconds.

Navigation

The keypad is coloured dark grey with the large keys mounted individually. The large white numerals have small lowercase alphabetic characters below them.

Symbols are used for all functions. The white lettering turns light green in low light and the backlighting is evenly distributed. Adding to the colour, bright blue backlit stripes separate the rows of keys and illuminate the two top soft keys. The call and disconnect keys are green and red, respectively.

The four-way navigation button has a central key for confirming and selecting choices. Below the four-way key there’s a shutter button for the camera. The keys all respond with a positive click and the menus are also fast to open and scroll. In some menu screens the 6255 will only display two options onscreen at a time, which means that you couldn’t see the full range of choices in one glance.

This seems somewhat anomalous, as there is plenty of screen space available and the text used is fairly small. The four-way navigation key has shortcut functions and you can also add your own to the phone. On the whole the 6255 is a fairly intuitive phone to use.

Calling

The Nokia 6255 is designed for connecting to CDMA 800, 1900 and AMS networks. Locally, it operates on Telecom’s 027 network. We found the earpiece volume control useful although it didn’t raise the volume in calls as much as we would prefer (headset volume was good, however). In normal use, we found the volume for the recipient of a 6255 call was louder using the built-in mic than the one in the bundled headset.

You can use an optional Bluetooth headset such as the Nokia HS-11W with the 6255 (although any Bluetooth headset will work with the phone). There’s a useful speakerphone mode available, too. The address book supports 500 entries with seven numbers, including an email and web address and text fields plus photo ID and distinctive ring.

You can synchronise entries with a desktop database. (For uploading contacts to the 6255 from your old phone, visit any Telecom store and they will assist using the instore Synapse system). The photo ID appears when you ring out as well as receive a call. Voice dialling works with the clam shell closed and is easy to configure from the address book. The battery’s standby time is seven hours, with a three-hour rated talk time.

Camera

The 640 x 480 VGA (0.3 megapixel) camera is basic, recording little detail in its images. The colours in our test shots looked quite rich, however, so the oil-painting effect actually enhanced the visuals from a colour perspective. There’s also a range of gallery effects (adding frames or clip art) and image adjustment options, such as setting contrast and cropping. You can use the smaller external LCD as a viewfinder for self portraits, but you need to activate it manually from the main menu. Among the camera settings is a night mode and a flash is built-in for low-light conditions – you’ll have to work to get the right exposure with the flash though. A range of image quality settings are provided for the small screen of a handset. Movie capture is supported and it has a useful pause function.

Messaging

The messaging client offers SMS and MMS options and includes MMS to email (with an email alert inviting the recipient to a Telecom web site for the full details). There’s browser access to Xtra mail, picture messaging, web text notices and instant messaging. (You can also use the phone as a fax-modem for a desktop email client.)

The 6255 uses quite small text in its messaging interface which means that you can see a lot on the screen. Although the text is small, we found the bold typeface easy to read and the T9 predictive input system easy to use. The messaging options menu provides quick access to images, message presets and symbols. Many phones display a small icon onscreen when sending an image through MMS, but the Nokia 6255 goes further and also displays the progress as a percentage. Nice.

The Nokia 6255 is certainly worthy of a look for business users – using Nokia PC Suite it can synchronise your phonebook, calendar and to-do list with your PC, and provide WAP browser access to Xtra mail, picture messaging, web text notices and instant messaging. The price point also includes a radio tuner and MP3 player that can make commuting or other idle periods less tiresome (an optional desktop audio base is also available).

Full Bluetooth support also opens up a host of accessory integration options – like headsets, carkits and speaker systems. Nokia supplies a useful manual with the 6255 but as the phone’s controls are mostly intuitive you probably won’t need to refer to it very often. Overall, the Nokia 6255 is Telecom’s most technically advanced CDMA clamshell handset – integrating an external LCD with photo caller ID and voice-dialling capability.

<ALL POSTS MERGED!>

Edited by Vishal Gupta

nokia_6255_a.gif