Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Updated: Pesky SMSs/Calls: Major relief to users from March 21, 2011

i tried this from my vodafone and just got an error as reply about wrong keyword or something

and from my cdma i got:

no default configured

when i fwd the spam sms.

has this fwd worked for anyone else?

• Now TRAI has placed the limit of 100 SMS per day per SIM. You are still free to send more but any SMS beyond 100 will be charged at a minimum rate of 50 Paisa per SMS.
  • The lodging of a UCC complaint through SMS has been made easier. Now the complaint can be lodged through SMS by simply forwarding the UCC SMS to 1909 after appending the telephone number and date of receipt of the SMS.

• Thanks 1

I too am unable to forward the SMS to 1909 using my Google Nexus S 4G on Reliance post paid CDMA. It keeps giving error message. Further, I tried to lodge a complaint against the errant number with CC regarding pesky SMS. Reliance has now replied saying that the Telemarketer number is invalid and hence request cannot be processed! This is the second time that I am getting am SMS from the same number and now am at wits end. Can anyone tell me how to take the case further? Sending a mail to TRAI also did not work out since there has been no response from TRAI after the mail

Regards

Rahul

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

:previous:

Above TRAI order dated 5th November is to be implemented within 15 days from the date of order.

So i guess operators might not have made the necessary system changes yet.

Why sending DND request on 1909 is showing error msg 'wrong keyword'??

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

TRAI Imposes New SMS Termination Charges To Reign in Spam SMS

TRAI has issued new regulations to curb the SMS issues amongst operators and help subscribers. These include a new regulation which will lead to an SMS termination charge of 2 paise applicable across networks for non-commercial messages. Along with this TRAI has also passed an amendment on the termination fee to 5 paise for the commercial messages which was proposed in the regulations made in the year 2010. The regulations will be applicable from June 1 this year.

The Short Message Services (SMS) Termination Charges Regulations, 2013, has been issued to resolve the issue between operators over using the receiver’s infrastructure for delivering messages. Newer operators with lesser number of subscribers were benefiting by not paying termination charges and with “unilateral imposition of SMS termination charge” on using the infrastructure of major operators like Airtel and Vodafone with higher subscriber base. Last year, Airtel had taken the initiative and banned SMSes from Aircel, but later allowed it after the government stepped in.

A termination charge is paid by the carrier on which the SMS or call originated to the carrier whose subscriber it is delivered. Without any termination charge, the carrier on whose network the SMS terminated would get nothing and yet is expected to deliver the message using its resources.

Along with this, TRAI has also amended the Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2010 which will lead to an SMS charge of 5 paise per transactional SMS. These are mainly applicable to the commercial SMSes.

“The smaller operators are selling bulk SMSs to the telemarketers at comparatively cheap price and the revenue earned by them through the sale of bulk SMS is primarily because they are able to send large number of transactional and promotional SMS to the subscribers of other networks.”

According to TRAI these moves has been taken, “especially due to exponential increase in the number of commercial SMSs, large imbalance in SMS traffic between the networks of interconnecting service providers, unilateral imposition of SMS termination charge and in case of non agreement, disconnection by some dominant service providers and growing litigations amongst the service providers.”

This apart, TRAI has also issued twelfth amendment to the The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations which will help in controlling the Unsolicited Commercial Communications (UCC). Two years back, TRAI had released DND service as a part of this regulation to resolve the menace of commercial messages from telemarketers, which were sending messages without registering as a telemarketer with TRAI. Telemarketers will not only pay a promotional SMS charge to 5 paise per SMS but will have to adhere to certain guidelines as well.

According to the new amendment the originating Access provider will have to disconnect the services to a commercial telemarketer with immediate effect, if there would be any complaint registered and proven against these telemarketers. Moreover, such subscribers will have to be blacklisted by all access providers for a period of two years to be maintained separately for this purpose. No telecom resources will be allotted to such blacklisted subscriber by any Access Provider. This provision comes into force within 30 days from the date of publication in the Gazette.

• Like 2

Why sending DND request on 1909 is showing error msg 'wrong keyword'??

Have you sent "START 0" to 1909 or "DND" ???

• Like 1

i also get 'invalid keyword' from rgsm,

has anyone used the free android app:

india against spam

it properly formats your spam sms before sending directly to 1909 so it saves a lot of time / effort

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

TRAI further modified pesky calls/SMS regulation today.

• Now if there is an unsolicited commercial communication from a subscriber who is not registered as a telemarketer, the telecom service provider will be liable to pay Rs 5,000 as penalty on each complaint.

• When such unsolicited commercial communication contains reference to another telephone number or an entity such as banks, insurance companies, builders, for which the commercial transaction has been solicited, the telecom resources issued to the subscriber/ entity for which commercial transaction has been solicited, shall be disconnected across all service providers on receipt of a complaint, after serving notices each on the first and the second complaint.

• Like 1

^^Usually I receive at least 5 calls a day, so far no pesky calls. TRAI effect?!

• Confused 1

i have been using a free app on my android called

india against spam

it formats all incoming sms / calls you select to be fwd to 1909

i have sent over 40 complaints since may 21st or about 14 / month

beats the heck out of written / phone complaints!

• Like 1