Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
csmart

Grim Facts of Child School Admission in Mumbai

i would like to share my experience for admission of my son. the way admissions are given, you feel cheated and leave you shatter. i had applied in 3 schools as per his eligibility. i could not apply in 2 schools as they started "toddler" school for which my son was over aged and hence cannot apply. the schools where i applied in are in south Mumbai.

1. Greenlawns:

I haven't heard anything from the school yet. On detailed scrutiny, I found that they have not called anybody from my area Mumbai - 4.. my kid was attending classes which prepared him for the interview, and none of his friends in the area got interview call. even my friend did not received any letter from the school. The shocker is, one boy staying in my building, gave wrong address and he got the admission.

2. Gopi Birla

I applied and got the interview call. the interviewer ask abt 9-10 question to my son and the interviewer was not so pleasant.

we enter the room and occupied the chairs. my son was on middle chair between me and my wife. the interview gave a very cruel look at my wife as if she was not invited. REASON: she was wearing a saree. She then looked at my son and ask his name and which school he goes to. being totally stranger and staring at him, my son was not confortable. on realising this, the interviewer gave little "plastic" smile and showed him a book. she pointed at pictures and asked him what it was. he answered all correctly.

then she opened another book and ask showed train, car and ship. my son answered all correctly. then she asked where they run. my son didnt get what she was saying and hence didnt reply. then she pointed on train and ask on what it runs. he pointed to tracks and answered it and similarly for car and ship.

not satisfied with this, she opened third book and showed him a outlined carrot. there was no colour. my son replied correctly. next question, colour of carrot. my son could not answer and then said green. interviewer said green is colour of leaves and carrot is orange. interview finished. it was on 7th feb.

got a letter stating that cannot grant seat to my son. letter dtd 8th feb reced on 10th..

3. G D Somani:

only parents were called for interview. there were about 25 parents for the interview. everyone was given a token and then was called as per token number. everybody was asked 1 question, why this school. it was on 31st jan.

they call everybody next day and scheduled 2nd interview. here also, only those who were not in saree were called. 2 of my friends, whose wives were in saree did not received any call. i was again called for interview on 9th. this time again only parents were called.

the same question was asked to everyone but by different lady. the interview did not lasted for more than 40 sec for most parents. she also asked about our education and nothing else. we were told that the list will be put on 15th feb..

my son's name is not there on list. reason, on 9th feb she was in saree. while others (abt 20), were in either western outfits or salware xcept my wife and other parent. couple of them were in revealing outfit and they are granted admission. only 2 of us, in saree, are not given admission. now what you think?

you will be thinking that may be myself and my wife are not educated. but we are well educated, I have masters degree from US and my wife is BA from Ahmedabad. so that is not the issue. further, i know a child who got admission in GD Somani, whose father is just SSC passed and mother is BCOM. they are my wife's cousin. even their relative who are more educated than them not given admission. so we tried to find the answer for this. and everything comes down to the way wife is dressed. no school wants child's parent wearing saree in their school.

it is really hard for me to believe this and very frustrating. even after having good educational background, my own business, child answer 90% of question, no admission in the school of my preference. it is only in this city/country where schools decides whether a child is capable of studying in their school or not. instead, as a parent, we should have that power.

i was against my child going to school at age of 2. at that time, he did not had proper "potty manner" but school is a must. then classes to prepare him for interview. it was very torturous for my son. he has to attend school in the morning, evening attend classed and at night has to revise with his mom or me. the result at the end, is big "NO". my son dont understand why we were doing it. for us, its like end of road. already these schools are 2nd and 3rd choice. he is not eligible for 2 most preferred schools. if we do not get agent, then my son will be going to school which we otherwise dont like it.

is that we have become so westernised that saree is not acceptable?

do school have right not to accept children from particular area?

i also have option of couple schools for which my son will be eligible next year or year after. but what if, for whatever reason my son do not get admission in this school? my parents sent me to one of the best schools of the time even though they studies upto 10.

i ma sharing this because i dont want others to suffer or to repeat mistakes that i did. its clear that if you are in South Mumbai, you have to be in some posh area or atleast provide other address as they are not asking for address proof and should not wear saree for interviews. otherwise be prepared to be rejected..

OMG comes as a shock to me, w are in India isn't it, getting in school is trouble but this is totally unacceptable, I have herd donation stories but, this is new. Good luck to your son and regards to your wife.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Edited by Genius

If i remember correctly, Maharashtra Government banned Child Interviews For School Admission and prescribed heavy penalties for schools which do...

I am raged with anger...Don't let them run away scot free...Initiate proceedings...spend time behind it...possibly waste of money also...but see to it that they are punished....

The reason why this practices happen and continue in India is purely because of inaction on the part of US...So called Middle Class and Higher Middle Class People...Who Accept everything and don't protest or do something about it even when legal avenues are available...

The perpetrators are guilty and we are even more for letting them do it...

Sorry but this type of things makes me angry as hell...

Which area in Mumbai are you looking for the schools ? maybe i can recommend some.

CHirag, its really shocking and sad to know that such younng child need to go thru classes to get amission in school.

Since you have not got admission why dont you initiate complaint to concerning department about what ever you have gone thru and also try to see to it that they are punished for spoiling present and perhaps future of children if at all got admitted in such school. Infact you should feel happy that your could not get admission in school with no moral.

About educated parent's children getting admmission in good school itself is a sick psych. Are they trying to keep unfortunate devide in our society? We have two class of people ENGLISH SPOKEN and NON ENGLISH SPOKEN, english spoken people consider them to be superior of non english spoken and they assume to be intelligent and concerned about society and culture.

In my belief, our education system just creates intellectual slaves. We loose our independent, innovative thinking. That's why I sent my son to school since the age of 3 crying.gif

I am sure your child will get admission in school fit for you and your belief.

• Like 1

Chirag Bhai, what the schools had done is totally unacceptable. You should not let them go easily and try to contact the schools again and put your words. Else take legal help as Rajan Bhai told above that "Maharashtra Government banned Child Interviews For School Admission and prescribed heavy penalties for schools which do.."

@ami1 i am in khetwadi/Opera house.

as regard, ban on child interview, i think supreme court allowed it, not 100% sure. i am searching for it. its ban in delhi.. maharashtra, still searching..

besides, the saree issue, is not mentioned but when you analyse, its either saree or my wife cannot speak english. but then she was able to answer about her edu in english. so thats also ruled out.

besides, what my son was taught in the classes is more gruesome. 2 year old, he has to know all sports, all type of mode of transport, who is drives what, who does what?? etc.. etc.. i can say that no. of questions for which he has to prepare were more than the no. of days of his life.

anyway, i am looking for legal course. but for that will have to fight with my family.. lets see..

Edited by csmart

I am litteraly shocked to read such a thing happened in India. I hail from Kadapa of Andhra Pradesh about 1200 km away. Plan and tell me when to come to mumbai I will do and we will see that these b*****ds are kicked with our indian bata shoes only these people will understand and display them in their school in their undies b*****ds

The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act or Right to Education Act 2009 which is applicable across India except J&K and came into force from 1-4-2010 also has this provision... http://en.wikipedia....y_Education_Act

The Act makes education a fundamental right of every child between the ages of 6 and 14 and specifies minimum norms in elementary schools. It requires all private schools to reserve 25% of seats to children from poor families (to be reimbursed by the state as part of the public-private partnership plan). It also prohibits all unrecognized schools from practice, and makes provisions for no donation or capitation fees and no interview of the child or parent for admission.

Few Other points....

If this schools are run by Registered Public Charitable Trusts...Then..

-Under the Trust Act Provisions, Public Charitable Trusts cannot restrict their charitable activities Only to Certain Class..or differentiate... The Charity Commissioner can be approached with Complaint...

-Under the Income Tax Act..Now Income of the Trusts running Commercial/Business Activities are taxes...The Defination is very wide and many trusts which used to enjoy Tax Free Status have now come under this provisions...So IT Authorities could be approached with Details of Everything this Schools are charging in the name of Fees and amounts under other heads....

The above may not change their behaviour immediately but should be done only as a starting point...Let them do the running around and go through the grind...

Ask them what donations they want and they will provide admission there and then.

It happens everywhere.

Education is sooooo damn expensive these days!

You wont believe, we had to pay 3L (that too from after a strong approach) to Presidium school here in Delhi to gain admission in Nursery class for my nephew!

Edited by SumitVerma

starting from 3lacs..........as u grow up..........the amount increases............50lacs for an mbbs seat in private college................n 1CRORE for MD Radilogy seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Ohhhh:

@ csmart

U must also consider securing admission for your child asap.

Its mid-Feb, and the way the admission process works, it might be difficult to get forms from others.

Have u considered New-era, HVB already?

What significance does dress have for us? How does it affect or relate to our identity and self-worth? Saree demontrates both elegance and simplicity. The emphasis is more on modesty than sexual allurement.

One should readily embrace the good and the worthy but the sad state is that Indians have lost their sense of identity and are getting western drunk.

Chirag bhai I am saddened and equally enraged by all you have to go through. Be strong in these testing times. All the best lucks to you and your son.

+1 for kalpak

Since you have not got admission why dont you initiate complaint to concerning department about what ever you have gone thru and also try to see to it that they are punished for spoiling present and perhaps future of children if at all got admitted in such school. Infact you should feel happy that your could not get admission in school with no moral.

I would recommend you to first get a seat for your son in some good school and then start your fight, as your son's education should not be affected.

God please save this country.

I would recommend you to first get a seat for your son in some good school and then start your fight, as your son's education should not be affected.

God please save this country.

thts what i am doing.. will secure admission and then take on these schools.

but the chances of legal battle is very low. reason, its officially allowed in Maharashtra to interview a child and as regards to GD Somani, they told me that it was lottery system. so cant do anything there also. this is how they play with the law...

Every profession is now turned to business.

I am NOT shocked... this is what is happening in each and every city of this country... In my case, I gave them a slap back; I wanted my son to be admitted in the school that I had studied all my life; But realised that i will need to "fake" a birth certificate to get things going according to their rules; i.e. start my son's future on a "lie"; donno how many more to come; which I did; then got admission; then I "rejected" their admission; wrote a 3 page letter to their Brother (Principal in a convent school) and explained to him why my beloved school was going to the dogs and why I "didnt" get my son admitted in his school... Got a reply back to come to talk to him to improve the school... in the meanwhile got my son admitted in DPS which had just started in Meerut at that time; am totally satisfied as on date with that decision...

Now, my sincere advice to you - Nurture your child to learn things rather than be taught; These so called "reputed" schools which churn out robots may teach but they dont educate; Let him get admitted into "any" decent school; even a student admitted in so called "hindi" medium schools can achieve the greatest heights in life if his concepts are made clear; its your environment at home that matters more rather the school to make him a better person in life... otherwise the rat race is all out there and everyone's running...

• Like 7

:previous:

I am very glad to hear that. As long as people like you exist, We still have hope for human race.

Now, my sincere advice to you - Nurture your child to learn things rather than be taught; These so called "reputed" schools which churn out robots may teach but they dont educate; Let him get admitted into "any" decent school; even a student admitted in so called "hindi" medium schools can achieve the greatest heights in life if his concepts are made clear; its your environment at home that matters more rather the school to make him a better person in life... otherwise the rat race is all out there and everyone's running...

:clap:

thnx dhiraj for advise... in fact i had targeted decent school and not A list school..

^

I dont claim to be a Raja Harishchandra... like someone said, "we are cheaters but we dont cheat humanity"; I too have to adjust in many things in life to get my work done; but I try to inculcate best possible values into my children without compromising their future, because this is the world we have to live in; so they have to be taught the ways of this world...

you are the best judge what needs to be done in your circumstances and you may have to compromise (bribe) to get your way... just try to strike the best balance possible...

Well Said Dhiraj Brother. +1 :)