Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
parin

Apple iPhone 5 & iOS6 discussion

The iPhone 5 Damage Report: Two Months Later

Source

The iPhone 5 isn't the biggest or fastest, but it's held up to physical standards of perfection that make the immaculate womb of Mary look like amateur hour. The phone is supposed to be a consummate beauty. But after two months of constant use, it's already showing wear and tear. Scratch-phobes, beware.

Below are two phones with very different lifestyles. One is a bit scratched up since launch day, one isn't. There's my phone, which was purchased on launch day, and has never known the touch of a case. I carry it in my pocket, or sometimes toss it in a bag with other stuff, every single day. The other (control) phone belongs to a coworker whose phone has been locked in a case from the day it was picked up at the end of September.

So let's take a very close look. Just how vulnerable is the iPhone 5?

With a case...

xlarge.jpg

...an iPhone 5 looks like it did the day you took it out of the box, of course.

xlarge.jpg

Note the pristine bezel, the unblemished chamfers.

xlarge.jpg

The entire perimeter of the phone is without a single, even slight scratch.

But without a case...

xlarge.jpg

Yeah, there are scratches. Scratches deep enough to dig through the iPhone 5's matte black treatment and reveal the silver aluminum beneath. Compare the two phones above.

xlarge.jpg

Almost all of the corners show at least slight wearing or a little chipping.

xlarge.jpg

Some worse than others.

xlarge.jpg

And there's that drop bump.

xlarge.jpg

And another dink.

xlarge.jpg

Again, the slight wearing of the material can be seen all the way around.

Does it really matter?

Every iPhone has accumulated wear and tear over the years. Nothing looks like new after it's out in the world day after day—not smartphones, not iPods, not humans. And if you live in constant fear of scratching your devices, you're probably going to have an extremely anxious and unhappy existence. **** happens, and things fall on the ground. You can't let worrying about a thing stop you from enjoying the thing.

And yet, we do pay extra for the iPhone because of its looks. It's a shallow premium that we've bought into, and one we expect to cash out on. There's nothing wrong with wanting your phone to look good after a year when that's what you've paid for. And there's a distinct difference between damage and aging—while leather shoes take on character as they decay a bit, a chipped smartphone might not exactly acquire a patina.

Maybe this will haunt you. Maybe this is what we get for an iPhone whose back isn't made out of shatter-prone glass, but scratch-prone aluminum. Maybe you should get a far more durable Galaxy SIII or Lumia 920 if you're worried about cosmetic longevity. Or maybe you don't give a **** about your smartphone's paint job.

Either way, this is how much the iPhone 5 has been worn down by normal use after two months. Extrapolating forward a year or so from now doesn't take that much imagination. It's going to chip more. I'm sorry, but it's true.

• Like 7

:previous:

This was least expected from apple to reduce quality after charging so much higher price and being in category of highest priced segment

Apple ke Din Khatam HOne Ko Hai....

This is a Serious Issue in Quality this time....

Apple ke Din Khatam HOne Ko Hai....

This is a Serious Issue in Quality this time....

Sadly i agree - i am still on 4S - 5 has lot of issues

Sad-Girl.jpg

4(s)top.....:)

triggered from tappa-talk 2...

4(s)top..... :)

triggered from tappa-talk 2...

I too Agree 4s is top. (i am using both 4s as well as 5)

Cheers for iPhone/iPad/iPod users. iTunes is now available in India to buy music, rent/buy movies in INR. The songs are priced from as low as Rs 7 to high at Rs 15. you can even rent or buy SD/HD movies. Source

• Like 3

hi, I've and Iphone 4 (O2 locked uk...) it was a gevey sim unlock, accidentally updated to IOS 6.0 with base band 04.12.02 now it is locked to its carrier.... can this be factory unlocked or at least back to gevey.. ?

I have unlocked my o2 Uk phone from this site. He took nearly 3 days to unlock. Last week he charged $ 41.99 but now it seems that, he increased the price. Search, you get cheaper option. By the way, Have you saved blobs before upgrading???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCK-SERVICE-FOR-UK-O2-IPHONE-3G-3GS-4-4S-CLEAN-IMEI-ONLY-/251194785157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7c603d85

I have unlocked my o2 Uk phone from this site. He took nearly 3 days to unlock. Last week he charged $ 41.99 but now it seems that, he increased the price. Search, you get cheaper option. By the way, Have you saved blobs before upgrading???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCK-SERVICE-FOR-UK-O2-IPHONE-3G-3GS-4-4S-CLEAN-IMEI-ONLY-/251194785157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7c603d85

Thanks for the guidance... I don't think I have saved the blobs... If i had those blobs i could've downgraded and used gevey... Anyway... Thanks again... See ya around...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

UK unlocks are costly compared to US unlocks.

Re - I5

A pal of mine has a i5, majority of the apps he downloaded runs on a resolution fit for 4/4S which is pretty annoying (seeing a black space on top and bottom), Apple did launch a good phone but the after market apps aren't optimized for the phone, yet

IOS 6.1 is finally launched with LTE afte 5 beta versions http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-releases-ios-6-1/

So now what we should look forward to is untethered jailbreak for Our Iphones as most of the hackers have been waiting for IOS 6.1 to release jailbreak

keeping Fingers crossed on this one http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/01/28/ios-6-1-jailbreak-release/

Pod2gs blog -http://pod2gblog.blogspot.in/

Edited by nikme
  • Like 1

Jailbreaks are not that much fun as before .Except for few customisations most things can be done without jailbreak now

- Crack apps

- Wireless Tether

- Banner name change

etc dont need jailbreak

Crack apps can that be done ?how do we install ipa directly without apple store like installous?<br /><br />Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Jailbreaks are not that much fun as before .Except for few customisations most things can be done without jailbreak now

Yes i agree - but that's because most of JB tweaks are incorporated in iOS after they come in JB

Crack apps can that be done ?how do we install ipa directly without apple store like installous?

You need a developer account for that to install cracked app without JB - or if some new exists let us know Mufi

Installous is now officially down but there are various other alternatives that work.

• Like 1

You need a provisioning profile and certificate . Basically your UDID is registered as a developer and you can install any ipa after signing it . It works across all iOS devices .Its available online for 10-15$ .after that u can do as many installs as u want

Edited by Mufaddal
  • Like 1

You need a provisioning profile and certificate . Basically your UDID is registered as a developer and you can install any ipa after signing it . It works across all iOS devices .Its available online for 10-15$ .after that u can do as many installs as u want
Jailbreaks are not that much fun as before .Except for few customisations most things can be done without jailbreak now<br /> <br /> <br />Yes i agree - but that's because most of JB tweaks are incorporated in iOS after they come in JB<br /> <br />Crack apps can that be done ?how do we install ipa directly without apple store like installous?<br /> <br />You need a developer account for that to install cracked app without JB - or if some new exists let us know Mufi<br /> <br />Installous is now officially down but there are various other alternatives that work.
<br /><br />Thanks for the share:rolleyes:<br /><br />Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I5 and iOS 6.1/6.01/6.02 Users here -

How is your battery life when it comes to 3G? Are you experiencing pathetic battery life - depleting by 1% every 2 minutes of browsing when connected to 3G networks?

Thanks,

Sonam

Do a network reset and check.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Will try that and will update here. I am using DOCOMO - by the way - in Kerala.

New Mailbox App Offers Better Gmail Utility For iOS >> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailbox/id576502633?mt=8

Currently Filling Reservations On A First Come First Serve Basis. You may have to wait for sometime in the queue.

Mailbox hands-on VIDEO

Mailbox - Put Email in its Place. Fly through your email.

We redesigned the inbox to make email light, fast, and mobile-friendly. Quickly swipe messages to your archive or trash. Scan an entire conversation at once with chat-like organization. Snooze emails until later with the tap of a button. It's a whole new inbox.

fly-through-shot.png

Modern tech for an ancient medium.

Designed 30 years ago, traditional email transmission is clunky and slow. To make delivery as fast as possible, Mailbox checks your email from the cloud, then delivers it to your phone securely. You can even get push notifications for new messages.

notification-shot.png

Put it off until tomorrow. Or this weekend. Or someday.

Stop staring at emails you can't deal with now. Mailbox lets you put off messages until later with a swipe and a tap. Snoozed emails return to your inbox automatically, so you can focus on what's important now.

snoozes-shot.png

Inbox zero. Daily.

When your inbox holds just the stuff you need to address now, email feels lighter and faster. Mailbox makes getting to zero — and staying there — a breeze. After you experience a clean inbox, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

zero-shot.png

Bap re "मेरा नम्बर कब आएगा"

enymygaz.jpg

Edited by Genius

Doc please could you help in upgrading iPad 1 to latest iOS.

Sent while mobile.