Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
tanveer

Nokia 6255 Reviewed

Since I am free these days, I thought of writing a review on my new phone, the Nokia 6255. I will be writing it in parts, so please bear with me and have patience since it is going to be one long and detailed review

I have had this phone for more than four days and my overall experience has been wonderful, though as someone on the forum pointed out that the search for the complete phone will go on for ever!

The Looks

Exterior

So Nokia like, anyone who has used nokia knows what I am talking about, yes that typical rectangular screen (in this case the external LCD) and the shape, no fancy curves nothing, just in your face box look.

A stirking feature is the absence of Reliance logo or the name on the outside as well as inside. I dont think this was there in other phones. Not sure if this is the policy that nokia follows only.

The phone could have been better without the external antenna but if it enhances reception I think you cant complain much, moreover all reliance phone I have used had antenna so….. (SCH191, GTRAN, 7230). The antenna too has square edges which is rather new thing for me(never seen in any other phone)

3.jpg

I mentioned earlier that the weight of the phone is more towards the screen side than the keypad side so that when you put it flat it gets lifted from the keypad side and is supported by the antenna. Also if you move it suddenly, due to the weight the scree sometimes flaps.

phone.jpg

The external LCD has the time, banner, network and battery bars. It also has the option of a wallpaper which can be a still image or an animated gif. There is another option of screensaver.

This mini display shows the caller id and picture id (if stored) but the resolution is not the most brilliant for this small screen!

The camera lens is placed on the lower left corner alongwith the flash light.

I was looking for the black one (it has three colors, blue black and brown) but it was not available so I had to settle for blue.

1.jpg

The left edge of the keypad side has the volume controlling switch for various applications whereas the right edge has the infra red receiver. I haven’t used IR so have no idea about it.

The right edge of the screen(or earpiece) side has a small switch. It can be used to record voice, for clicking pics when the camera is on or for answering the call in loudspeaker mode when the phone is closed (flap closed).

The upper edge has the power on off switch and the headset port.

The back is formed by a sliding battery cover made of plastic which is very thin and appears fragile.

The loudspeaker is positioned just above this cover.

back.jpg

The lower edge has a port for the charger (I think it should be the same as for all nokia phones, though I haven’t tried it for myself) and also for the DKU2 cable and the Nokia handset provided with the set.

Interior

In contrast to the rectangular exterior the interior give a much more fancy and sophisticated look.

The internal LCD is large with brilliant 65k display. My 7230 had a 262k display but somehow this one appears equally good if not better.

It shows the time, battery and network status, phone mode or profile, wallpaper which can be a still or a gif, banner and has the options corresponding to the three keys on the keypad i.e. right and left soft key and (arrrrrrrrgh) the not so soft menu key.

The left soft key takes you to the “Go To” options (like the my menu in 7230). The various options in this menu can be modified.

The right soft key takes you to R world. The main menu of R world does not have the multimedia option as is there in other phones. It has only two options (R menu and reset r menu)

All four arrows of navigation key have different functions (left – write message, right – calendar, up and down keys – names)

The keypad is not the usual nokia one, I mean it has large keys and the most impressive thing to me is that they are very very soft, feather soft infact. (except for the menu key)

2.jpg

Functions

Menu

The various options here are the usual Nokia ones like messages settings, call register contacts etc. These can be viewed as a list or a grid. Then there is the gallery option where you can store the music and images. The card memory is separate but included in the gallery. There is also a media player.

Another menu option is connectivity which includes Bluetooth infrared and cable options.

here is a screenshot of the menu

menu1.jpg

Extras option has the games and applications folders. We have been able to upload games as jar files in the games folder.

Other Menu options include call register, contacts, camera, media, Rworld, and organizer.

Contd. in next part.

Other users of the phone are most welcome to contribute!.

Edited by tanveer

Thanks Tanveer.

Please continue with the review. Once yo are done and if we have some contributions from others may be we can combine all reviews and make one detailed review.

gr8 review Tanveer ! yes, keep 'em coming and we will merge it later :P

Ah! Thats wat is required! Keep going, tanveer!

<< Edited ur post for those italics u needed! >>

Part 2

Messaging

The phone supports text, voice as well as multimedia messaging. Text message section has the usual Nokia features like write message, sent messages folder, archives, outbox, my templates and distribution list.

Distribution list is a send to group like feature where you can make and save a distribution list and later use it to send messages to multiple recipients.

Sending message has always been easy with nokia. It does not prompt you to save, does not ask for delivery report and each and every time(problem with 7230) so on, you can change these settings as and when you like!

Like any other phone it supports the T9 input.

On entering the text you are asked whether u want it to send to a number, email id or sms to many. Even this (sms to many was not present in some earlier phones eg7230)

Another good thing is that in case you want to exit writing a message and continue later or you accidentally press the end call button the message is automatically saved and you can resume later.

I used to hate this in other phones with end call key very close to 3(def) key and not having these features.

MMS can be sent to other reliance phones and email ids but some one mentioned that this can be done only to those phones which can access MMS through R world (all except 6000 and 6130. MMS is click and send. You can send by MMS, IR or Bluetooth. Another thing I noticed was that the number of characters that can be sent alongwith MMS is 5000 in case of this phone. I believe it is 1000 in others or so it was at least with my 7230.

message1.jpgmess21.jpg

Voice messages not tried so can not comment.

Calling and Call Register

Making calls is simple. Either dial a number or find a contact from the phonebook. Also there is the option of speed dial.

When it comes to speed dialing nokia disappoints with only 8 speed dial numbers (2-9) My old phones had much more than this (upto300)

Voice tags and voice dialing is also present

Call register is more or less the same as for all Nokia phones with 30 each dialed, received and missed calls.

One thing I loved about my 7230 was that it gave the duration of all the calls in the register whereas this phone gives only the last call duration, total incoming and total outgoing.

Another added and new feature is data call register.

This not only shows the duration of the last data call but also the amount of data (in kb) uploaded and downloaded. So people using the phone for r connect might be benefited.

Contacts and Phone Book

Not much new here. There is a caller group feature with 5 preset groups.

The phone book has a memory for 500 entries with maximum of 5 numbers and a note for each entry. Picture and tones can be assigned to the contacts. Also tones and logos can be assigned to the groups.

Saving a number is simple as usual. Also saving a number from sms and from the text in the message is present increasing the convenience in saving numbers.

The number of contacts has no bearing on the memory of the gallery.

Edited by tanveer

Part3

Camera

Well everyone here has talked o much about the camera oof this phone I don’t need to say much. Someone has also posted the Pics on another thread. For a .3 MP camera it is pretty good. But the only problem is why .3MP camera when we can have more. Well that is the way it is and u have to live with it.

Color balance is good. I find 6130 has a little bias towards red. 7230 was good, and this one is better.

There are various modes standard, portrait, movie and night mode. Standard mode takes 640x480 pix. Movie mode is good and the clips are recorded in 3gp format. You have the option of with or without audio. The maximum length on any card is 3 min. default is 15 seconds so you have to change it. I guess 3 min is enough for a phone. The flash is no good. I don’t see any point why it should have been put in the phone. The night mode is good but the exposure time increases so much that there is a high likelihood of getting a blurred pic.

One thing I found strange was that there is a lag between the click and the shutter. I mean you press the capture button and after1-1.5 seconds the shutter opens, so if u are not aware u are likely to get a faulty pic.

Images are in JPEG format and stored in the images folder of the gallery. You can move them to the memory card as and when required to free up space in the gallery.

screenshot of camera options

cam1.jpg

Gallery

As already mentioned, the gallery has default folders for Imaged, video clips, music files, graphics, tones and recordings. Add to that the memory card where you can store your music, images and videos. The total memory for the gallery is 6 MB. So you can calculate how much of what you need to keep where. I prefer not to keep any music files in the gallery. You have various memory cards available. The default card provided is 32 MB. This is too less if you like to have a lot of music on the move. Nokia advises maximum of 64 MB but we have members here who have used upto 1GB cards.

Gallery menu

gallery1.jpg

Media

Media menu

medi1.jpg

The media player has a provision of playing online media but reliance has robbed us of this fun, as no browser is available. So you can play media from the gallery, that you have stored. Music player is good. It can play MP3 and ACC format. I have played MP3. Loudspeaker is good, but the headset is amazing I mean it gives real good quality sound. You have to listen to believe. Same is the case with radio, reception is good, but you have to have a headset (pop or the other) inserted which acts as an antenna. Once tuned, you can switch to loudspeaker mode but you have to keep the headset plugged in.

There is a media equalizer as well. It has 7 preset settings ranging from pop to rock to what not.

Equalizer

equ1.jpg

Settings and Organizer have nothing much new or exciting. The organizer has calendar, alarm, notes, stopwatch, countdown, calculator and to do list.

Connectivity

The phone uses Cable (DKU-2), Infrared and Bluetooth. I hvent tried the first two on this phone so can not comment much.

I was new to Bluetooth, never having used a BT enabled handset before, so it took me a lot of time to figure out how to use it to connec the phone. The dongle that I am using isn’t the best in the market, so that did not help me either. But once I was able to connect, I transferred Pics, Music and tones very easily. Presently I am not using Pc suite as all the needs have been taken care of by other programs. Transferring files is very convenient and quick as well.

Connecting to R connect via Bluetooth was problematic for many of us here. I followed the thread on DUN for 6255 and finally I was able to use r connect with blue tooth.

I did not get 230 kbps speeds and it has been discussed on the DUN thread.

I did not face much of a dormancy problem when using 115 kbps setting though when I changed it to 230, there was a snag.

Otherwise Bluetooth works very well. I saved money for a DKU cable.

I am told that we can not transfer files more than 6.5 MB using BT , so I guess when I go for a bigger card and have to transfer a lot of music, I will require the cable eventually.

Games and Applications

The phone comes with 5 games and 2 applications. You can upload more games to the phone using software other than PC suite. I have done it and I know that it works. As already mentioned this being a series 40 phone we can not upload any applications except for the very basic ones.

Games

games1.jpg

That my friends was a review of the features of 6255, if you people want a review of the performance, I can write it as well, but will take some time.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your patience. Hope this helps some of you!

Any suggestions and corrections are most welcome.

Looking forward to comments and replies!

Tanveer

Edited by tanveer

Good effort buddy!

I really appreciate it...

Now I must say :clap:

LAGE RAHO!!!

Three cheers for Tanveer for the smart reviews !!! :clap:

Hope to see the performance review as well from you soon !

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks .... Thanks .... Thanks.

Due to this reason, We say proudly, WE THE RIMWEB USER.

Because we have everything about the RIM and Cellphone.

I am feel very proud by join the rimweb.

Always want more.........

Thanks.

Take Care.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks a lot for appreciating my effort.

I hope by adding so many pictures I have not irritated the dial up users too mcuh.

that sure was a fast reply ...

Thanks Tanveer ... and keep up the good work!

Cheers

Ashok

Ok. Only the review of the phone shall remain in this thread... Rest of the discussion goes to the other threads... Thnx Tanveer, Ur effort is really worth a ;)

I am posting a few close Pics I found out from howardforums

(courtsey wordie)

review_03.jpg

review_02.jpg

review_01.jpg

Edited by tanveer

tanveer, too good object photography. !!!

hi tanveer, that was a gr8 review and really appreciate the same. secondly, a good news for all nokia 6255 users, they have started the video streaming of AAJ TAK in free category and that also live....yes, it is live....you can start your tv and check with the 6255......i believe very soon they will come out with all the features of r-world...three cheers to reliance.....keep writing.... iqbal

Review on Performance

Calling, reception, and sound quality

Making calls is very simple with Nokia phones as everyone knows. The only problem is that speed dials is for only 8 numbers (2-9). Voice tags are there as well and voice dialing is easy and prompt. The lag time between dialing the number and the phone getting connected is short as compared to my 7230 (though I think 191 had still shorter). The call key (the green one) is used to make calls. Apart from calling directly, from phone book, speed dials and voice tags, there is an options in the messages where you can use the number of the sender or a number sent as a part of the sms. That makes it convenient

This phone has an extendable antenna to compliment it’s internal antenna. Luckily, the internal antenna on the 6255 works wonderfully, so the external antenna is not necessary. The reception is good. I usually get 2or3 network bars in my room and rarely 4 when I am in my room. But I haven’t had a call dropped or anything like that. As long as the voice quality is clear and there are no calls dropped, I don’t care about the number of bars.

I always thought that the quality of calls using CDMA phones has been clearer, louder and more real. This phone too has much better sound quality than GSM phones but I believe that the quality of LG and Samsung used by me were superior. I read somewhere that the sound heard on this phone was lower and thus difficult to hear. On the contrary, I find that at very high volumes, the voice begins to break and crackle a bit and makes it unclear. Headsets give good quality sounds. Loudspeaker too is good, I haven used it too much though for making/receiving calls.

Messaging

As easy as it gets. Since the keys are ultra soft and smooth, writing messages is very easy. Also the T9 can be customized as opposed to my old GTRAN (words can not be added to dictionary). However if you have written a wrong word and return back to it, you can not simply press star (*) to find the alternatives to that word. For example, you wanted to write “pay” and by mistake you wrote “say” and moved ahead, when u return back the cursor using arrow keys to “y” in “say” and press star, it does not take you to “saw” and then “say”. You have to erase “y” and then it again picks up in the T9 mode. I have seen this in another phone as well, don’t remember if it was 191. Whether it is by design or a flaw but it is inconvenient.

The words can be added to the dictionary, you can either insert word or you can use the spell feature when the options for spelling are exhausted.

The message length is 160 characters only. This is a poor aspect of a phone which has easy messaging mode. LG has brought out phone where we can write long messages so why not his one? Only Reliance and Nokia can tell.

Another useful thing is options while replying. When you press the reply button, There are options of starting with either empty screen, original message, Yes, No, OK, Template, Thank you, Sorry, I love you too(useful for Ashoksoft) etc. This makes it very convenient and saves some time and energy.

Delivery report option can be set to yes or no. There is another option of signature to add in every message you send. There are two font sizes available for writing text. There are also message folders where u can organize your messages.

I already mentioned that there is an option of sending messages to preset distribution lists too.

Camera and Video

The camera isn't a megapixel, so one still has to deal with VGA resolutions; BUT of the 3 camera phones I have used, this one returns some of the best images that I have seen.. The camera has an LED flash that works well as such flashes go but I don’t see much use as it hardly gives illuminated pics in darkness. 6130 definitely has better flash function. The phone has a self-timer that gives you 10 seconds to get to the other side of the camera. The night shot lengthens the shutter time to allow more light to be absorbed by the lens, making for better pictures in low light situations. (IF you can hold your hand still, which is tough to do at times.)

Much like the video on other phones, it really is just plain worthless. The resolution is tiny, maybe 75 x 90 or so. So it is only good if watching on the phone screen itself. But the presence of sound makes it better than 7230 which did not have this function. The video is recorded in 3g2 format( never heard of it before) it plays well on quicktime and should also play on Nokia multimedia player. The phone however can play 3gp clips as well. The maximum length for the video is 3 minutes. I can have 3 min on my 32 MB card and nobody has been able to tell of a longer clip recorded which would mean that it does not depend on the memory of the card but is set to default maximum of 3 minutes.

I will be adding more in a coule of days!

Will be adding more this wekend though I dont see many responses now!

I will be talking about some of the things i dont like in this phone and some flaws in design and software

a very well written review. highly appreciated.

plz write more.

yeah i hope to write som more hopefully will get some time this weekend!

Gallery

This features all the files stored by you and some default files in the phone. It has a combined memory of around 36-37 MB which includes the card (MMC) and the phone memory. The default folders are images, clips, Music, graphics tones and recordings, and of course the memory card storage where you can store anything. Images is the default folder for the photos you click. So is the case with recordings and clips. The files can be moved from one folder to another, so you can easily move the photos clicked to the MMC card and u can have more space in the phone memory. Scrolling through pics and music files is easy, Open one and press the up or down button. This shows stills in succession and plays media files one by one. The voice recording is in amr format and the video rec is in 3gp2 format. I am not very sure what if at all is the difference between 3gp and 3gp2 format, but some member had mentioned that 3gp2 does not play on other phones 6600 to be specific. Anyways the phone does play 3gp files as well. Tested some of the naughty MMS to check it myself. Music files as MP3 can be stored in the memory. I have absolutely no idea about the AAC files and where to get them from so can not comment on those.

Media

Cant see why they had to have media player and music player separate in this section. In media player u have the option of playing online media which not surprisingly is not provided by reliance. The other option of open gallery takes you to the gallery memory where you can select files to play. The music player however takes you directly to audio files in you phone and plays them in sequence. There are a few playlist options as well, random, repeat etc. But you can not have more than one playlist, someone mentioned that u can have different folders and that can work as playlist. The equalizer settings are good and provide a few options. FM radio requires the headset to be inserted in the jack for it to be used. I tried it with an old headset and it was able to use that as an external antenna for reception as well. There are more channels than u are likely to require in the next few years.

Audio quality, speakers and headset

Well depending upon what you are using to listen the quality varies from good to excellent. The phone loudspeaker is mono so you can not expect it to be wonderful. But even then I fell it is good enough. The headset provided inserts in to the pop port at the bottom and not into the post near the antenna which bears the headphones sign. Other headset can be put in it. I used an old headset in this port and it worked. Someone on a foreign forum said his phone had crashed when he tried this. That was fortunately not the case with me. But when the default provided headset does not insert in to this, why the hell do they have it in this phone?

One of, if not the biggest draw this phone had for me personally was the ability to play MP3. In this department the phone lives up to my high expectations. With a 1 GB MMC card you can have a lot of music and have a lot of fun. The quirks are in the menu setup of the Media player, but after all it is a phone first. There is no real way to describe the way it is setup. It works well, it just isn’t very intuitive. But over all I LOVE this feature.

The MP3 play well and sound wonderful when using a headset. Its hard to tell that you are not using a CD/MP3 player but a phone. Volume control helps you to toggle between 10 levels of volume. The Radio too plays well on headset. The quality with the loudspeaker is not over the top but is ok.

Verdict: As someone else said: Is it an IPOD? No its not. But it certainly is a great MP3 player especially when u consider that u bought a phone and this is an additional quality that you have got.

Organiser

Alarm, calendar, notes, Todo list, calculator, countdown timer and stopwatch, what else do you need. (though I am yet to find which one is the equivalent to simple reminder option that was there in old and simple Nokias). The Calendar/Organizer interfaces with Outlook via Bluetooth/IR. If one does not like entering that sort of data in via Keypad, it can be done ahead of time on the computer and synced to the phone, tada! I am not crazy about entering in appointment and reminder data via the phone but it might be helpful to those who have a lots of appointments and meetings scheduled.

.3G2 also known as .3GPP2 is an advanced version of .3GP. The Video Codec is H263.

AAC files are itune or quick time file, also known as M4A files. You can convert your audio CDs to M4A or AAC files with itunes. The converted file does play on Nokia 6255.

MP3 - a song file that is compressed using MP3 compression

M4A ("AAC") - a song file that is compressed using AAC compression

M4P ("Protected AAC")- a song file that is compressed using AAC compression AND encrypted using your iTunes Music Store ID.

Cable ADE-2

This audio cable connects your Nokia 6255 phone to generic external audio systems enabling playing your MP3 music from external audio devices.

Thanks for the info Mukul