Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ramchi

Bsnl Comes With Impossible!

BSNL slashes fixed line rental

December 30, 2005 17:26 IST

Taking the ongoing tariff war from mobile to fixed lines, state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd on Friday announced up to 28 per cent cut in the tariffs for fixed line telecom services by reducing the monthly rentals.

"The subscriber will be saving up to 28 per cent in the effective monthly bills," BSNL CMD A K Sinha told reporters.

Under the scheme, BSNL has cut the monthly rental to Rs 180 from the existing Rs 250 in urban areas and Rs 210 in rural areas.

With the reduction of rental charges, BSNL revenues would be hit by up to Rs 600 crore (Rs 6 billion) annually.

BSNL also joined the tariff war with mobile operators and launched a pre-paid card with lifetime validity for Rs 949 which includes preloaded talk time of Rs 99.

The local call rates under pre-paid card would be Rs 1.60 per minute within BSNL network and Rs 2 to other networks.

For STD calls, the call rates would be Rs 2.40 within BSNL and Rs 3 to other networks, Sinha said.

The new scheme comes into effect from January 1.

BSNL is impossible with their stone aged Landline phones they are talking about reducing the monthly rental!

Previously every year these guys used to increase the rental and decrease the free calls; with more competition they are working their @$$ out.

welll....at last they seem to be good..and giving a strong run to all the companies.....

i believe that all land lines , if they need to survive must be like the telephones in the US and UK where they have a fixed monthly charge of like 25$ , no matter how many calls you make.

Only something like that would make BSNL attractive in todays market in india.

I guess this does not help those in the zero rental plans ...ie. 480 something and above. They should have done something about the tariffs ...especially landline to mobiles tariffs! It costs Rs. 1.60/- per min to call local cell phones (and I guess now, FWPs also)! Compare that with GSM mobile to mobile tariffs of about 50p/minute! Dosen't make sense to use a BSNL landline anymore.

this means unlike other operators bsnl has come with a sim card instead of a recharge voucher, means this lifetime offer is not for existing subscribers, it is just for new customers.

Not a good move comparison to other operators.

I read somewhere that now even tata too introduced lifetime voucher after their 2 yrs incoming offer plan. And they have combined their lifetime voucher with a new handset starting from rs 2250/-