Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
abhay

Dth Talk

Star offers to shake hands with Dish TV

Star and Dish TV move towards a consensus by shaking hands even as the launch of Tata Sky's DTH service is imminent.

A day before the Supreme Court is to hear a case on channel pricing, Star today delivered to Dish TV, country's first pay DTH platform, the integrated receiver decoder boxes that would enable the DTH operator to access Star channels for redistribution purpose.

Some formalities are yet to be completed, both the companies said.

Dish TV CEO Sunil Khanna added, “It might take a couple of days for us to start beaming the Star channels on the platform as the boxes need to be tested.”

As per a directive of the disputes tribunal TDSAT (Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal), Star has offered its channels to Dish TV at Rs 27 per subscriber a month. Dish would also not pay any minimum guarantee money to Star.

A spokesperson for Star India said that in deference to TDSAT directive an offer was made to Dish TV despite the latter moving the Supreme Court on the tribunal order.

Not clear at the moment is what would happen to a Supreme Court case, which was filed by Dish TV some time back. Dish had petitioned that instead of Rs 27, the Star channels should come to it cheaper as Star had offered its channels to Dish some years back at one-fourth the price paid by cable ops.

The price of Rs 27 fixed by TDSAT for Star bouquet of channels is 50 per cent of Rs 54 that a cable operator presently pays.

Dish TV sources said the Supreme Court case is likely to continue, but is unlikely to have much of a bearing on the present truce called by Dish and Star. The apex court will be hearing the Dish TV petition on 4 August.

Dish TV has been waging a legal battle for over a year to get Star and Sony-Discovery channels on its platform. The Sony-Discovery One Alliance recently signed up with Dish TV.

Meanwhile, Dish’s Khanna said that a price revision of the monthly subscription would be decided in a few days time. “In all probability, Star Plus and other popular channels would be part of Dish TV’s basic tier of service, which also includes other mass general entertainment channels like Zee TV, Sony and HBO.”

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k6/aug/aug35.htm

man thats the coolest news i heard from indian tele sector this month :clap:

Edited by abhay

Dish media campaign draws flak from cable ops

Dish TV’s media campaign revolving round freedom-from-cable-problems theme has incensed a section of cable community, which feels it’s “unethical.”

In a letter e-mailed to Dish TV, All India Aavishkar Dish Antenna Sangh (AIADAS), one of the many bodies representing the cable fraternity, has exhorted the DTH company to withdraw the “misguiding advertisement.”

“The whole cable TV community is shocked on seeing the business-damaging and misguiding advertisement campaign launched by Dish TV through various news papers, hoarding, and bus shelters. This type of advertisement campaign has hurt the cable TV fraternity in India as a whole,” the AIADAS letter states.

The letter further highlights that the latest Dish campaign would severely hurt the business of cable operators; almost to the extent of crushing them out.

“In case the (cable) consumer shifts (to DTH), who is going to pay compensation to the cable TV operator?” Dr. AK Rastogi, head of AIADAS, has asked in the letter.

Though Rastogi claimed that Dish has agreed to withdraw the damaging ad campaign in deference to the cable industry’s anguish, Dish TV CEO Sunil Khanna denied any such move.

“We are not withdrawing any campaign, nor altering it,” Khanna told Indiantelevision.com today afternoon.

He added that instead of being cry babies, cable operators should seize this opportunity to digitize their networks and offer consumers better services than before.

“With competition around in DTH sphere, there is bound to be consumer awareness campaigns highlighting the advantages of a DTH service. The cable operators should brace themselves for reality,” Khanna said.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k6/aug/aug74.htm

1) y the hell would cable operators be paid compensation for consumer losses

2) DTH is obviously much much much more better platform than WIRE LINE cable !! cable is simply dead B)

3) i think TATASKY will also suffer the same problem coz its marketing strategy is also based on the same grounds

Edited by abhay

TATA SKY LAUNCHED

Price: hardware+installation Rs3,999

Monthly subscription: Rs 200

No. of channels available: 55+

Present area of service: 300 cities

1st year target: 1 million subscribeRs

Investments made till now: over Rs 25 billion

NEW DELHI: Tata Sky Ltd, the $ 500 million joint venture between Tata Sons and the Rupert Murdoch-owned Star Group, today officially announced its arrival as India’s second DTH platform after Dish TV.

Tata Sky is kicking of its service in 300 cities at an "introductory" monthly subscription of Rs 200 for the 55-odd channels it presently has on the platform.

Most critically, the Tata Sky set top box (supplied by News Corp owned NDS) has been priced at Rs 3,999 (inclusive of taxes). This includes installation and hardware cost and a full service warranty for one year.

However, along with the monthly subscription of Rs 200, the Tata Sky offering will be more expensive than rival Dish TV's package.

The Subhash Chandra-owned Dish TV is priced at Rs 3,290 (inclusive of taxes). This includes the cost of the STB as well as three months' subscription. The monthly subscription for the basic Dish TV service of 75 channels is Rs 180.

Announcing the launch at a glitzy event here where the likes of cricket commentator Harsha Bhogle rubbed shoulders with Mandira Bedi, Tata Sky MD and CEO Vikram Kaushik grandly proclaimed, “Entertainment will never be the same again.”

Going on to harp on the state-of-the-art technology and finesse of the service, Kaushik added, “It’s a technological innovation that’ll bring the senses alive.”

Apart from the many channels on the Tata Sky platform, a conspicuous absentee is the Zee Turner bouquet of over 20 channels as an agreement between Tata Sky and Zee Turner Ltd has not yet been concluded. Kaushik admitted that negotiations have not been concluded, but was hopeful that “things would get sorted out soon.”

Another major absentee is the Sun Network channels, which dominate the southern markets. Tata Sky is however not alone in this, since Dish TV does not have access to the Sun channels either.

“We are offering 55+ channels at the moment and with the passage of time the number of offerings would grow,” Kaushik said.

The channels available on the presently non-tiered Tata Sky platform include all the channels from the Star (17) and Sony Discovery One Alliance (14) bouquets as well as ESPN Star Sports and, two channels of NDTV as its key offerings.

Also available would be some Doordarshan channels as well the likes of Times Now, Aaj Tak, Headlines Today, etc. Some interactive and specially designed movie channels have also been thrown in as a sop.

The Tata Sky service, Kaushik claimed in the presence of his company chairman Ishaat Hussain, has been designed to give subscribers “choice, control and convenience” in the way they want to watch television.

A host of interactive services such as an on-screen programme guide, Actve Sports, Actve Star News, Actve Newsroom and Actve Khabar.

To offer maximum convenience to subscribers, Tata Sky has set up a pan-India distribution network of popular consumer electronic stores and mobile phone outlets for retailing its hardware and prepaid recharge vouchers, which come

in various denominations starting off with Rs 260.

The company has also tied up with LG, ITC International Business Division and Indian Oil Corporation as part of its distribution drive.“We are looking at ramping up our activity and service over the next three months should be covering the whole of India,” Tata Sky consumer marketing head Vikram Mehra said.

The company has engaged a field force of approximately 3,000 people who will be complemented by a high-end 24x7 call centre, manned by multi-lingual customer service associates, trained to solve all customer problems.

But Mehra was not forthcoming on the media campaign that’s about to break “soon”, except to say that it would be a 360 degree campaign using all normal media outlets.

Tata Sky is an 80:20 DTH joint venture between the Tata Group and Hong Kong-based Star Group. The joint venture has invested over Rs 25 billion in the project till now, according to Kaushik, who added the target of 1 million subscribers in the first year is achievable.

The unveiling of the Tata Sky service finally turns into reality a dream Murdoch has had since 1997 - of having a DTH platform in India.

It is quite costly...............................introductory price itself is costlier than DishTV!!!I think Tatasky is a lazy venture.They are targetiing only 1 million subscribers in first???? :D

And absence of sun network channels is a big big setback.Due to this hardly someone from south india will take their connection by paying Rs4000 :clap:

First they need to add Zee and Sun channels to get atleast 1mn costomers in one year.

What do you say guys?

Hi!

I have installed TataSky DTH service at my residence since 4th August. The Distributor is my friend, so I got to instal the 2nd installation in Goa! Not paid yet but will be paying the rates as mentioned ie 3999/- including the installation and Rs 200/- per month for the introductory package of 3 months.

You can get more info from the call center no 1901 425 6633 from MTNL/BSNL lines.

Can post a detailed review if you wish!

First impressions: good!

Ciao!

Hi!

I have installed TataSky DTH service at my residence since 4th August. The Distributor is my friend, so I got to instal the 2nd installation in Goa! Not paid yet but will be paying the rates as mentioned ie 3999/- including the installation and Rs 200/- per month for the introductory package of 3 months.

You can get more info from the call center no 1901 425 6633 from MTNL/BSNL lines.

Can post a detailed review if you wish!

First impressions: good!

Ciao!

1) yeah buddy !! plz do post the review of TATASKY !! i am planning to install DISH or TATA @ my home i could reallly use the review

and could u give me the call center number for other lines i have a reliance so this number isint useful for me

and does 3999 include the 3 mts charges

TATASKY website dose'nt contain any info

2) and could u be more brief about the set top box

all the avaliable models and stuff!! and if possible a feature list of every set top box avaliable

PN :- overall ALL the info u can provide us!!

if this isint possible pm me ur number ill call u up!! i really need to know from some1 who is actully using it

1) yeah buddy !! plz do post the review of TATASKY !! i am planning to install DISH or TATA @ my home i could reallly use the review

and could u give me the call center number for other lines i have a reliance so this number isint useful for me

and does 3999 include the 3 mts charges

TATASKY website dose'nt contain any info

2) and could u be more brief about the set top box

all the avaliable models and stuff!! and if possible a feature list of every set top box avaliable

PN :- overall ALL the info u can provide us!!

if this isint possible pm me ur number ill call u up!! i really need to know from some1 who is actully using it

Hi!

I'll try my best to answer some of your querries.

1)If you don't have MTNL/BSNL you may contact TATA Sky Helpline:

For Western India: 020-66006633

Northern India: 0172-66006633

Southern & Eastern India: 040-66006633

I found their Helpdesk extremely informative and talkative!

2) The package comes with a Digicomp Set top Box which includes a TATA Sky Digicard, along with Remote Control, RCA Cable, RF Cable, Power Supply and a user Guide. The Antenna is included in the installation. There is only one model of the Set Top Box ie Digicomp. Some of the feature buttons on the remoate are provided on the Digicomp like On/Off Button, Channel, Volum adjustment, Select, Guide etc. The Flat Set Top about 26mm widex 5 mm thich and 18 mm deep is about 1.2 Kg in weight and should sit easily on your TV.

The Introductory Package is for 3 months but costs Rs 200/- pm ie total 600/- for 3 months. As mentioned earlier. The Hardware including the Installation costs Rs 3,999/-. The monthly charges or whatever is worked out is to bought by prepaid vouchers much like in prepaid mobiles. Each subscriber is provided with a Subscriber ID. An interactive page on the screen in the 'Organiser' Category shows A/c Status like A/c balance as on previous date etc.

The installation took 1 hour and the guys who came for installation spent another hour explaining various features of the service! After buying the Digicomp, you are supposed to contact the Helpline, who then fix an appointment for installation. The Service guys phone back confirming the address and show up on time! The installation was done neatly and with minimum disturbance.

Some more things on the Digicomp:

The digicomp can be connected to the TV in multiple ways: directly through AV output (they claim this gives the best results), For stereo TV set with RCA connector, through Hi Fi Amplifier or through VCR using RF Connector.

I have connected the Digicomp to the AV of TV and I use the remote for all the functions necessary.

The Home Screen has the Subscriber Help Channel playing in the preview window continuously. Mine is playing in Hindi right now. Also there are the Channels Category Listing tiles namely: Entertainment, Movies, Sports, Kids, News and Knowledge, Music & Audio, Regional. There is also a button for Helpdesk.

You can also find channels through the Guide button which lists A-Z Channels and their program listings for a week. A button 'i' on the remote gives details of the program.

Very brifely: You can set reminders for a program, There is a search and scan banner which appears at the bottom of the screen at your request if you want, you can set favourites, parental control, select language.

There is a 'Showcase' option which features on demand Movies, English and Hindi Movies for which you pay extra. Right now they are showing at different times: Paheli, House of Fury at Rs 75/- per movie. When I called Helpline yesterday that I wanted to pay and see a movie, I was told that this is still under testing. It aslo has categories for Sports events and regional movies. (These must be under testing, because right now there is nothing no Paheli etc in Showcase!)

There s 'Active' option which was becoming a favourites with the kids. Reason it was showing an option for Games for one day but has disappeared today. May be they are still testing! This had 6 games like Solitair, Alien, Blaster and more which were quite good and operated through the remote. It also had a option called wizkids for kids of 6 - 8 years, more like a computer learning program. That too has disappeared. Besides 'Active also has Multiple news channels on on one screen (4 channels right now) from the Star bouquet, Aaj Tak, Headlines and Hindi Channels. The voice from the highlighted Channel can be heard and can be selected for a full screen display. This is besides the normal channel selection thrugh the News category or A-Z Category.

Finally there is an 'Organiser' option.

Actually there is much more than this. The online helplines are very informative.

I have not talked about the channels. But todys papers have all the details. Some of my favorites like CNN, BBC, CNBC, HBO and Zee bouquet is missed.

More some other time.

Ciao.

Hi all

I am a dish TV user for last one month.

Very satisfied with the service and package as of now.

I paid a total of Rs3800, service tax, octro charges.

This also includes 3 month free subscription to all channels.

This package is called maxi package,

U get a set top box and card .

The reception is really good and sound quality is exellent.

The dish is installed facing east side.

THe set top box is easy to set up and manage.

The set top box is korean make , its name is Zenega

all channels are there,

I will recommend to go for Dish TV Why ...

Its tried and tested as its been providing DTH service for over 3 years.

Dish is gonna further reduce price of channel packages, to capture more market,

u can see they are really marketing their serviced hard these days, lots of ads and stuff.

Tata sky has just launched will take time to stabilise, and capture market,

As inital cost are high, so their charges are also high, same thing was when dish tv began thier service

they used to charge some 8000 for the setup,

My Advice go for Dish TV forget about TATA for next one year, till they stabilise in market

first of all thanks to goanguy + Dushie for ur reviews !! if u have anything more to tell us plz inform us!!

i just visited a dealer of DISH TV in my area today here are some of my observations

apart from VERY HIGH entry level barrier****

1) all ur fav channels don't come in one package :clap: expect MAXI in which all channels are apparently available BUT costs around 300 / month

eg :- i needed all eng channels movies + regular and my family needs all those saasbhau crap !! they don't come in one package expect maxi

2) the set top box which is mentioned by Dushie is ZENEGA cd-1004s seems like some china manufactured product without much functions !! just a basic set top box. it contains one serial port i don't know y though

3) even though GOVT has ordered that broadcasters should beam their programming to DTH providers @ half the price they give to CABLE OPERATORS <<< these kind of packages don't reflect it

**** ALL based on what dealer told me

TOMM ill try and visit TATA dealer and check em out :)

Tata Sky and Zee Turner haggle on price

Tata Sky’s talks with Zee Turner for its bouquet of channels have got stalled on the issue of price.

While India’s second pay digital platform Tata Sky has evinced interest in the first two of the three bouquets of Zee Turner for Rs 42, the latter is insisting all its 29 channels should be taken.

According to sources close to the negotiations, Zee Turner has conveyed that it’s ready to give all its channels to Tata Sky’s DTH platform for Rs 74 per subscriber, which is 50 per cent of the price that cable operators pay for the channels.

Bouquet 1 of Zee Turner comprises Zee TV, Zee Cinema, Zee News, Zee Studio, Zee Bengali, Zee Gujarati, Zee Marathi, Zee Punjabi, Cartoon Network, Reality TV, CNBC, CNN, Zee Café, Zee Trendz, ETC, ETC Punjabi, Zee Jagran, Zee Smile, Zee Telgu and Zee Music..

The second bouquet includes HBO, Pogo, Awaaz, VH1 and Zee Business. Zee Turner is soft bundling Zee Sports at a price benefit.

The third bouquet, called Breakfree, consists of Zee Action, Zee Premier and Zee Classic, which air movies of different genre and are primarily available on Dish TV DTH platform.

Interestingly, Zee Turner wants to keep Zee Sports out of the negotiations with Tata Sky, saying a deal for the sports channel --- holders of cricket rights for matches to be played by India on non-ICC recognised venues --- could be done separately.

According to the sources, Zee Turner has reasoned that its demand is based on a recent ruling of a disputes tribunal in Dish TV vs Star case wherein Star was asked to make available its channel to Dish at Rs 27 per subscriber, which is 50 per cent less than the price cable ops pay.

Zee Turner has further said that in the Dish vs Star case, when Dish had wanted select channels of Star, the Hong Kong-based broadcaster was unwilling to accede to the proposal.

Extending the same logic, Zee Turner has conveyed to Tata Sky that it would have to take all its channels.

However, Tata Sky is only interested in the first two bouquets of Zee Turner for a price of Rs 42 per subscriber per month.

On August 8, while announcing the commercial launch of Tata Sky service in 300 cities, company’s MD and CEO Vikram Kaushik had admitted that talks with Zee Turner had not been concluded.

Amongst the 55-odd channels being offered by Tata Sky presently to its subscribers, Zee and Turner channels like Zee TV, Zee Sports, Cartoon Network and Pogo and some third party products like HBO, Reality TV, Awaaz and CNBC TV18 are conspicuous by their absence.

Country’s first pay DTH platform, the Subhash Chandra-owned Dish TV, boasts of 1.25 million subscribers.

Pubcaster’s DD Direct+ claims a subscriber base of 3.5 to 4 million for its subscription-free service of free to air channels

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/.../aug/aug112.htm

Cable, DTH locked in ad war

The ad war between direct-to-home (DTH) service providers and cable TV operators has started. Soon after Dish TV ran a full page campaign on print asking viewers to stop watching cable TV, operators have retaliated with the tagline "Cable TV - Service at your doorstep."

The most obvious attack is on pricing. Dish TV, the ad says, offers all channels without the Star bouquet at Rs 300 per month. After adding up the 10 per cent licence fee and taxes (entertainment and service), the monthly bill in Mumbai will work out to Rs 412. Then there is the hardware and rental cost for the set-top boxes (STBs) which have to be paid in advance. Besides, there are no discounts for multi-TV homes, the ad states.

Cable prices in the conditional access system (CAS) areas, on the other hand, will begin from Rs 77 per month for the free-to-air (FTA) channels. The pricing for the pay channels is yet to be decided as broadcasters have to fix the rates. As for the set-top boxes, the early bird offer is Rs 2000. "With judicial intervention and government regulation now being brought in place, you too will reap benefits of CAS once it takes off from 1 January," the ad says.

Regarding service, cable TV has run even on days of calamities. Most of the consumer complaints are pricing related issues which are linked to pay channel hikes. "Cable networks also provide internet service. How come you never faced price related issues when dealing with the same cable network," the ad states.

The cable TV industry is "geared to usher in a new digital cable revolution with over 140 channels, radio services, games and on screen electronic programme guides."

The cablewallah may have finally woken up to the competition from alternate digital distribution platforms. The battle, as they say, is just beginning.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/.../aug/aug111.htm

Edited by abhay

guys cant there be a system in which we can pay for what we wanna see..in DTH too am in jaipur and no way CAS will come here......

yup this pakage system su*kz big time :clap:

they put few fav channels in 1 pakage the rest is all bulls*it :clap:

Edited by abhay

ADAG-Reliance to focus on movie, radio ops DTH side lined

Anil Ambani's Reliance group has decided to concentrate on movie and FM radio business in the media and entertainment sector for the time being instead of DTH television service.

A top source in the group admitted that plans to start a DTH service in the country are going "slow".

Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (ADAG) had applied for a DTH licence under the brand name Bluemagic, which is yet to get all governmental clearances.

A recent failure of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to put a new generation communication satellite in orbit, could also have some bearing on Ambani's go-slow approach as far as DTH is concerned, a media industry analyst opined.

ISRO's recent failure has also put a question mark in the short term over Sun TV group's plans to start a DTH service in the absence of transponder space on India satellites, which is a pre-requisite government norm.

Sources in the Ambani-controlled ADAG have also confirmed that present focus is on movie and radio business where scales of operation need to be ramped up considerably.

Anil has controlling holding in Adlabs Films, which was started by film industry veteran Manmohan Shetty who still looks after the business.

In recent times, Adlabs has signed up with several successful directors like Ram Gopal Verma and Kunal Kohli for a string of film productions over the next 24 months.

Acquisition of some existing production houses could have been an easy way out for Adlabs to increase scale of operations, but existing big production houses are not in sale mode at present.

According to industry sources, Adlabs is looking co-productions, bagging overseas distribution rights for big ticket Hindi films and Indo-foreign country co-productions and ramping up the number of multiplex within the Adlabs fold so in future digital distribution of films could add some jazz to the business.

Meanwhile, Reliance Radio, helmed by former Sony India honcho Tarun Katial, has started fine-tuning its operations for a flag off.

Sources said that over the next 45-60 days a spate of private radio FM stations, which got licence in the second phase early this year, are likely to start operations. This would include Reliance's stations too.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/.../aug/aug148.htm

i say we should'nt expect bluemagic for another 1 yr or so until the sat is launched again

on some other DTH news

Freedom from the cablewallah!

1) TATA sky changed their website looks more informative now

2) TATASKY multi room service

If you have more than one television at home, ‘Multiroom’ is the best way to keep everyone at home entertained. It means you and your mom can enjoy different channels in different rooms at the same time – all with one minidish.

Here’s how it works:

Get multiple digicomps one for each TV (Mutiroom works for up to 4 televisions)

Choose a package as the primary subscription for any one television

Choose mutiroom subscription for additional TVs at a very nominal cost

Enjoy all the channels in the package selected on all televisions

What will it cost?

Tata Sky digicomp: Rs. 2999

+ Installation plus Activation plus One year comprehensive warranty charges: Rs. 1000

+ Mutiroom Subscription fee: Rs. 100 (This is in addition to your primary subscription cost)

Tata Sky in flats

If you live in a flat, a single dish can provide Tata Sky service to the whole building. Each flat will need an individual digicomp and will need to choose their channel package.

http://www.tatasky.com/multiroom.htm

cool isint it :D well it answers one of my main doubts since i have 2 tele's @ home

An indepth article on the ins and outs of DTH by Surajeet Das Gupta of Rediff.com

Freedom from the cablewallah!

Cable to get cheaper

Your cable bill is set to fall from January when you start watching TV using a set-top box, with regulator Trai expected to cap the tariff at Rs 5 per channel.

How much you pay your cablewallah will now depend on the channels you choose to watch. While operators will be mandated to air at least 32 free-to-air channels for Rs 72 a month, the system of bouquets of pay channels where broadcasters charge exorbitantly for a set of channels will end. Instead you can opt for one or two channels from the bouquet.

In case you opt to have all channels available, you’ll still pay less. For instance, the Star bouquet is for Rs 67 and has 8 channels. If you take them all, you’ll pay Rs 40 plus a 12.2% service tax. Similarly, the Sony bouquet of five channels comes from Rs 67; now you’ll pay Rs 25 plus tax for all of them.

A rough calculation shows that if you wish to have the option of viewing all channels, you will pay Rs 350 a month for the pay channels and another Rs 72 for the 70-odd free-to-air channels. Add to that 12.2% service tax and the bill rises to nearly Rs 475. Since hardly any household will want every channel, the bill is expected to be much less.

For a typical household, assume four news channels, five entertainment channels, two sports channels and three others.

The monthly bill for pay channels will then be Rs 70, plus Rs 72 for free-to-air channels and Rs 17.38 service tax — adding up to Rs 160. In comparison, a bouquet of 75 channels on DTH comes to Rs 225 a month.

The cap on pricing may not be good news for broadcasters or the cable guys but is sure to cheer up sport freaks who will have to pay only Rs 11.12, including service tax, for watching ESPN and Star Sports, instead of Rs 47.70 now.

What's more, you can opt to watch only Star Sports if it is airing US Open this month and buy Set Max for a month when it's time for the Cricket World Cup or Champions Trophy.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1941545.cms

?? y cant we get individual channel system in DTH also y do we have to select packages ???

Edited by abhay

This will come on DTH also aftersometime as i m thinking. But we will write to trai to push up on DTH also. the site is www.trai.gov.in

Let's try to get DTH more cheaper than cable

Cable to get cheaper

Your cable bill is set to fall from January when you start watching TV using a set-top box, with regulator Trai expected to cap the tariff at Rs 5 per channel.

How much you pay your cablewallah will now depend on the channels you choose to watch. While operators will be mandated to air at least 32 free-to-air channels for Rs 72 a month, the system of bouquets of pay channels where broadcasters charge exorbitantly for a set of channels will end. Instead you can opt for one or two channels from the bouquet.

In case you opt to have all channels available, you’ll still pay less. For instance, the Star bouquet is for Rs 67 and has 8 channels. If you take them all, you’ll pay Rs 40 plus a 12.2% service tax. Similarly, the Sony bouquet of five channels comes from Rs 67; now you’ll pay Rs 25 plus tax for all of them.

A rough calculation shows that if you wish to have the option of viewing all channels, you will pay Rs 350 a month for the pay channels and another Rs 72 for the 70-odd free-to-air channels. Add to that 12.2% service tax and the bill rises to nearly Rs 475. Since hardly any household will want every channel, the bill is expected to be much less.

For a typical household, assume four news channels, five entertainment channels, two sports channels and three others.

The monthly bill for pay channels will then be Rs 70, plus Rs 72 for free-to-air channels and Rs 17.38 service tax — adding up to Rs 160. In comparison, a bouquet of 75 channels on DTH comes to Rs 225 a month.

The cap on pricing may not be good news for broadcasters or the cable guys but is sure to cheer up sport freaks who will have to pay only Rs 11.12, including service tax, for watching ESPN and Star Sports, instead of Rs 47.70 now.

What's more, you can opt to watch only Star Sports if it is airing US Open this month and buy Set Max for a month when it's time for the Cricket World Cup or Champions Trophy.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1941545.cms

?? y cant we get individual channel system in DTH also y do we have to select packages ???

nah wont be cheaper than Cable !! considering the satellite costs and everything !!

but obviously would be more appealing if package system is abolished !! individual channel system is much more better like implemented in CABLE

i was thinking more like monthly rental like Rs 125 (including Free to air channels costs which is 72 rs in the case of cable) + the channels which u wanna watch

monthly costs for around 30 channels ( no one watches more channels than that :'( rest all is actually bullsh*t)

Rs 300 / month / Tv + Multi room system as in TATA sky !! that should be more than convincing to get 30 - 40 % of all cable market in India

what do ya think ??

Edited by abhay

I have also installed dish TV maxi package and really happy with the service. I paid Rs 3550/- including installation + four movies free worth Rs 200/- for Movie On Demand. I would also advice to go in for Dish TV as it is already stabilised

I also checked out tatasky and found that they are charging Rs 200/- for 55+ channels whereas you can pay Rs 300/- for 160+ channels

Edited by Arun

DTH operators free to price channels

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has decided that it will not regulate tariffs of DTH operators. This comes even as the regulator has recently imposed a cap on channels under CAS.

“We have decided not to regulate tariffs for TV channels for DTH services,” TRAI chairman Nripendra Misra said. TH will face tough competition from cable operators under CAS regime in the four metros. Moreover, there will be competition among DTH operators for customers and hence they will have to offer reasonable prices, Mr Misra added.

In a judgement on the ASC Enterprises vs Star India case about a couple of months ago, TDSAT had asked Star to provide its bouquet to Dish TV at a maximum price of Rs 27 per subscriber per month. It had also said that it had no basis to lay down the actual rates per channel which is the prerogative of the TRAI. “We hope the TRAI will come out with the regulations to lay down the charges for each channel,” said the TDSAT judgement.

Mr Misra pointed out that the DTH tariffs are currently lower than the maximum retail price of individual channels proposed by the TRAI for CAS. At Rs 175 per month, DTH operators are offering 75 channels. Out of which 40 are free-to-air and the rest are pay channels. Therefore, the average price of a pay channels comes out to be Rs 3 per month, Mr Misra said.

The regulator also felt that a ceiling of Rs 5 per subscriber per month for a TV channel under CAS regime will not lead to a reduction of revenues of broadcasters. At present, there is huge under reporting of subscribers by the cable operators, according to TDSAT.

At the new prices and correct reporting of subscriber figure the actual subscription revenue can actually go up by about 50%, said Mr Misra.

There are three DTH service providers in the country - Subhash Chandra Goyal’s Dish TV, Tata Sky, a joint venture between Tata and Star, and Doordarshan’s DD Direct. There are over three million DTH subscribers. DD Direct offers only free-to-air channels and has subscriber base mainly in rural areas. Sun TV is also planning to launch its services

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1970246.cms

Tata Sky plans special offers

Even as broadcasters and cable players are preparing for CAS, DTH players have already started offering customer-friendly packages.

Tata Sky and Dish TV, the two DTH operators, are giving huge discounts to the customers who subscribe to more than one connection in the same apartment. A DTH subscriber of Tata Sky has to pay a monthly fee of Rs 200. At present, Tata Sky has only 61 channels. It is also adding Zee channels. If a Tata Sky subscriber wants DTH services in another TV set in the same home, then he is required to pay a monthly fee of Rs 100 only.

However, each TV set requires one set top box worth Rs 2,999. Similarly, Dish TV is also offering discounts to the customers for subscribing to services in more than one TV set. Under its multi-TV scheme, a subscriber of Dish Maxi plan (with a monthly rent of Rs 300) gets 50% discount on DTH services on additional TV sets in the same home, said a Dish TV spokesperson.

Cable TV operators have not yet formulated their strategy under the new CAS regime. “We will have to pass on a substantial part of the revenue collected for pay channels to the broadcasters. We have not yet decided what tariffs or discounts we will offer under the new CAS regime,” said National Cable and Telecommunications Association (NCTA) president Vikki Choudhry.

From January 1, when CAS is implemented in Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata, DTH will directly compete with CAS as the subscribers will have to buy set top boxes. Cable TV services will come at a MRP of Rs 77 plus a ceiling of Rs 5 per pay channel , while DTH operators will be free to fix tariff.

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1970261.cms

Anil Ambani group gets in principle nod for DTH foray

Decks have been cleared for Reliance-ADA Group headed by Anil Ambani to enter the direct- to-home (DTH) service, with the government giving in-principle approval.

Sources said the letter of intent (LoI) for the group's foray into DTH was given today to Blue Sky Magic, a company of the Reliance-ADA group.

When contacted, a Reliance Communications spokesperson declined to comment.

In the LoI, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry is understood to have asked the company to complete formalities including the bank guarantee and licence fee.

Sources indicated that Reliance-ADA group will complete the formalities by next month.

The entry of the the group is expected to spice up the DTH market with already four players, including the latest entrants Tata Sky, a joint venture of Tata and Star, vying for a portion of the market.

Doordarshan and Essel Group promoted Dish TV have already established their presence.

Reliance-ADA Group had applied for licence to enter DTH services about a year ago when the two Ambani brothers reached a settlement on ownership of the Reliance group.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/006200609112073.htm

Tata Sky close to an understanding on airing of Zee channels

Tata Sky, the latest entrant in the direct-to-home services space, is close to reaching a deal with Zee Group to beam the latter's bouquet of channels on its platform.

"It's a matter of weeks now," Tata Sky managing director and CEO Vikram Kaushik told reporters after the launch of its interactive service 'Active Wizkids' for three to six-year-old children here today.

Tata Sky offers 75 channels including eight interactive services at an introductory price of Rs 200 per month. The price is likely to be reviewed after the trial period is over.

The hardware sales for the Tata Sky DTH service, launched in August, crossed one lakh units in the first 15 days.

Tata Sky, an 80:20 joint venture between Tata Group and the Rupert Murdoch-owned Star, has a target to cross one million customers in the first year of operation, said Kaushik.

Meanwhile, the service has caught on with the rural masses with 30 per cent response so far, he said.

Scotching fears about a "battle" with cable operators Kaushik said, "a restructuring of television services will enable DTH services and cable operators to co-exist for next ten years."

Tata Sky's service network is currently available across the country with distribution set-up in 3,200 cities.

http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?...=54&sid=BUS

Zee Turner channels to hop on Tata Sky following TDSAT ruling

The battle for direct-to-home (DTH) supremacy is set to intensify with Zee-Turner channels hopping on to Tata Sky.

The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) has directed Zee Turner Ltd, distributors of Zee and other channels, to provide its signals to Tata Sky within 48 hours.

"Zee Turrner has given an undertaking to the TDSAT to provide all the 32 channels at an interim pricing of Rs 75. This will help in our pursuit to offer to consumers a full complement of content," Tata Sky MD & CEO Vikram Kaushik tells Indiantelevision.com. Tata Sky is already offering 75 channels at an introductory price offer of Rs 200.

Zee Turner claims it has got what it wanted. "We wanted our entire bundle of channels to be taken and at that price. This falls in line with the latest TDSAT directive," says Zee Turner CEO Arun Poddar.

The final hearing will be on 18 October where the issues of pricing, capacity and other related issues will be decided, says Kaushik.

It may be recalled that Zee Turner was willing to provide all its channels at a price of Rs 75 while Tata Sky wanted to select the channels it wants at half the price of cable TV rates.

Accepting the prayer of Tata Sky to direct Zee Turner to provide the channels, TDSAT chairman Justice Arun Kumar said, "Respondent (Zee-Turner) would supply all its 32 channels from all bouquets to the petitioner (Tata Sky) within 48 hours."

Contending the case on behalf of Tata Sky, senior counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi requested the tribunal to give an urgent hearing. "Now festive season of Diwali is coming -- in which lots of entertainment programmes are telecast and our consumer base would suffer because of non-availability of these feeds," he argued. Singhvi also pointed out that the delay in the issue would ultimately hamper the commercial interest of the venture since the festive season of Diwali is approaching.

"Our subscribers are suffering due to non-availability of Zee-Turner's programme -- we are getting a loss to the tune of Rs 20 million daily and even our staff are underutilised," contended Singhvi.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/.../sep/sep202.htm

Edited by abhay

SC dismisses anti-CAS petition

The Supreme Court today dismissed on technical grounds a petition filed against implementation of CAS in the three metros of Kolkata, Delhi and Mumbai.

The special leave petition (SLP) had been filed by United Cable Operators' Welfare Association of India.

After studying the petition, the Apex court today decided that the SLP did not merit a hearing on a number of grounds, according to information available with Indiantelevision.com.

The petitioner, amongst several other reasons, had said that rollout of CAS would not be beneficial for consumers and should be deferred as DTH technology had already come in to the country.

Interestingly, while it had argued in the court against the rollout of CAS, the petitioner has been party to almost all CAS-related meetings organised by the government since 2002.

According to a Delhi High Court mandated arrangement, agreed upon by the government and the industry, CAS is slated to be rolled out in the south zones of Kolkata, Delhi and Mumbai from 1 January 2007.

The sector regulator has already paved the way for the implementation of CAS by deciding on the prices of pay and free to air channels in a CAS regime.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/.../sep/sep245.htm

TDSAT criticises Zee-Turner

Broadcast tribunal TDSAT today came down heavily on Zee-Turner for not providing its channels to Tata Sky, a Direct-to-Home (DTH) service provider, and ordered that the channels should be made available by this evening.

Criticising the media group over non-compliance of its order, TDSAT chairman Justice Arun Kumar said, "tricks would not work ... at least I did not expect this from you ... you are more interested in earning money rather than implementation of the order".

During the proceedings, Zee-Turner, a 74:26 joint venture between Zee Telefilms and Turner International India, a sister concern of Time Warner, contended that Tata Sky was yet to address issues "regarding territory and piracy" mentioned in their terms and conditions.

"To ensure it, we would have to do a site inspection of their base office," Zee-Turner said adding that it had already contacted Tata Sky on Friday. But the respondent denied permission for inspection saying that their offices were closed on Saturday and Sunday.

In response, Tata Sky charged Zee-Turner with unilaterally deciding the terms and conditions. "They are saying that only after they are satisfied they would give the signals," it said. (Agencies)

http://www.chennaionline.com/colnews/newsi...RYNAME=Business

:Contento: su*k it zee :'(