Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
HetalDP

Htc Mogul / P4000 / Utstar 6800

The New Devices known by

• HTC P4000 in Canada by Telus (Already Launched with WM5 AKU 3.3 and EVDO Rev 0) Upgradable to EVDO Rev A and WM6
  • HTC Mogul in USA by Sprint (to be launched with WM6 and EVDO Rev A)
  • UT PPC / XV 6800 by UTStar (to be launched with WM6 and EVDO Rev A)

Please make Discussion here

The P4000 (6800) COMPLETE REVIEW! Telus P4000 (6800) Reviewed!

htc81.jpg

HTC has branded this phone the P4000, but we also know it as the 6800 which UTStarcom have named it. Telus has dealt directly with HTC this time, whereas, Sprint, Verizon, and Bell Mobility, all have stayed with UTStarcom, and are releasing it as the 6800.

When details of this phone first started popping up many of us existing 6700 users were not impressed. It didn’t look like much of an upgrade to the 6700. As time wore on….. and on….and on…..and on…… the specs began to look a bit more appealing, but I must say, it wasn’t till I had one in my hands that I really appreciated the upgrades their are in this device. To me, it is a very worthy upgrade to 6700. Below is a list of improvements I see in the P4000 over the 6700. I will delve deeper into many of them later in the review.

-30% thinner

-spring loaded keyboard with rubber texture for easier use

-indicator lights for function and caplock

-256mb ROM double that of the 6700

-dual core processor

- REV A compatible (with software upgrade which Telus has officially announce they will do)

-scroll wheel

-more buttons on face and sides

-better one-handedoperation

-bigger battery

-better battery life

-removal of obtrusive antenna

-better brighter screen

-better 2mp camera with improved software and settings

-Dpad...much improved over the joystick

-AKU 3.3 which brings with it A2DP among other things

The P4000 is available from Telus for $549.00 CND when bought outright, or for as low as $199.00 on a three year contract. For existing Telus customers, sign into your “MyTelus” account and check in your offers to see what deal Telus may or may not offer you as an upgrade. Complete details and specifications are available here: http://www.telusmobility.com/on/pcs...htc_p4000.shtml

As you can see from the pictures below the P4000 is considerably thinner than the 6700. 30% thinner! The length and width are unchanged, except the antenna has been removed.

htc52.jpg

750047.jpg

KEYBOARD

70005.jpg

The keyboard has a few improvements. It is spring loaded, so when you start to open, or close it, it snaps into place. It stays in place very well, although I feel a slight wiggle to it when it is closed. Nothing too noticeable though. The keys have a rubbery texture to them, giving them a nicer feel than the gun barrel feel of the 6700 keys. The keys are smaller, but I find the keyboard easier to use, and I make fewer mistakes with it than I did with the 6700’s keyboard. I think that is due to the fact that it has better tactile feedback. The 6700 felt like I was pushing a tin can in and it would pop out. The keyboard on the P4000 slides out to the right, unlike the 6700 which is to the left. After a couple of weeks use, I still keep going to the wrong side. I guess it’s true what they say about old dogs and new tricks. wink.gif There are now indicator lights for caplocks and function. You’ll also notice that the numbers are removed from the top row and are now situated in a familiar dial pad configuration on the right half of the keyboard. Oh, and one more little improvement to the keyboard, the light comes on when you open the device. You don’t have to hit a key in the dark to turn on the light. The screen no longer turns on when you open the keyboard. I’m undecided if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

PHONE

The phone is dual band CDMA 1x EVDO REV 0. There has been speculation and confusion as to whether this device is REV A. Out of the box it is REV 0. It is capable of REV A with a software upgrade which Telus have announce they will provide once they have their network running REV A.

Using the 6700 as the baseline for comparison, the ear piece volume and quality of sound are much improved. In the past this has been a sore point for me. My hearing isn’t what it once was. Remember when mom used to say “turn that music down or you’ll you go deaf” Well, it turns out she was right…..

EVDO speeds where I am in London, Ontario have been running in the area of 1000kbps. When REV A hits we should see improvements in those numbers, although I wonder if we will really notice any difference. Personally I doubt that PIE and a 400mhz processor are going to be able to render pages much faster than they already are.

When connected to EVDO and a call is received, it comes through without issue. If it is actually downloading at the time, the download is paused to allow the call through. When the call ends the download begins again.

BLUETOOTH

Bluetooth used with a standard headset for phone use seems fine. I can wonder a good 30 feet from the phone before it starts to cut out. The volume and sound quality using either the Motorola BT820, or Goer Tek GCK800 seems very good. In normal room conditions I have to turn the volume down. I’ve never done that before. I’m very pleased with the overall Bluetooth headset/phone experience on this device.

Voice dialing works fine over Bluetooth. HTC has included their own voice dialing application called Cyberon. Cyberon uses voice activation to dial phone numbers from your contacts, or to open applications. You do need to attach a voice tag to each command. This is ok if you have a limited number of contacts, but if you have a large number you call on a regular basis, you may find Microsoft’s Voice Command a better option since there is no need to tag each one.

Bluetooth now has A2DP capabilities. While A2DP suggests actual stereo sound, out of the box it is actually mono in both ears. There is a registry hack that can be used to correct this. You will need a registry editor to do this, and as always BE WARNED do a back up first. You never know what may happen when fooling around in dark forbidden areas like the registry. You could be visited by plagues of locus, floods, scurvy, or worse, so be sure to have a back up ready just in case. Here is the actual hack, it’s pretty simple:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Bluetooth\A2 DP\Settings

UseJointStereo: change the DWORD from “1” TO “0” no quotes.

I’ve been using the Motorola BT820 stereo headphones to listen to music over Bluetooth. Volume is excellent and the quality of sound is very good as well. I have experienced skipping, 2-3 times per song, but after doing the registry hack it seems to seldom happen.

Bluetooth and Wifi share the same antenna on the P4000. The result of this is that if you use wifi and BT at the same time BT stutters as wifi downloads bits of data.

Although not widely noted Telus have a deal on right now if you buy the P4000 and activate a new three year deal, you can buy the Jabra BT320s for $89.99 and get a full rebate. In the picture below you’ll notice that the ear buds on the BT320s plug-in using a 3.5mm jack, so you can use your favorite headphones or buds. The mic is in the base unit which clips onto your clothing. I found they were no match for either the Moto BT820 or the Goer Tek. The sound quality is ok, but the volume is too low, even with a decent set of JVC ear buds…..but maybe you listened to your mom, and they’ll work for you. wink.gif

htc92.jpg

USABILITY

750049.jpg

Here’s where some of the biggest improvements have been made over the 6700. As I mentioned above the spring loaded keyboard makes it easier to use, as do the indicator lights.

The real improvements in usability come from the addition of the scroll wheel, and a few more buttons. The scroll wheel is a true scroll wheel. It spins continually 360 degrees, and can be pushed in to register an action the same as the center of a dpad. Just below the scroll wheel is an ok button. When there are no applications open it doubles as a start menu button. This allows you to use your thumb to activate the start menu, scroll, open, and close, applications with no more action than slight thumb movements. The power button is now on the right side. For me the jury is still out on this. It’s that old dog, new trick syndrome, again, I think. wink.gif There are also buttons for the Comm Manager, notes, and camera. Plus there is a hardware button to switch wifi on and off.

On the face there are two buttons at the top for messaging and Pocket Internet Explorer. On the bottom, there’s the usual call send and end buttons, and the now standard softkeys, as well as an ok button, and one for the start menu. In the middle of all these is a real dpad. This is a very welcome improvement over the stubby joystick on the 6700. It is one solid piece. I’ve heard some people suggest that not having a separate center button could cause issues with falsely registering sideways moves. In actual use I have not had a problem. BTW, it is a five way dpad, four directions, plus the center. I have heard a few people comment that there dpad felt loose, however mine seems fine. This may be something you want to check while still in the store. Below are some picture showing the different hardware functions of the P4000:

htc79.jpg

htc57.jpg

htc58.jpg

htc59.jpg

htc78.jpg

On the negative side of usability, HTC has put yet another telescopic stylus on the bottom of the device. It seems to stay in without a problem, and it deploys ok as well, but if over time it loosens up at all we may all be buying overpriced replacement styluses. Plus it really needs to be about an inch longer. I have small hands and I find it bit too small. You can see it in the picture below with the stylus from the 6700.

750028x.jpg

SCREEN

750028.jpg

The screen on the P4000 is much nicer than the 6700. It is considerably brighter, and it has a lot less of a blue tinge to it. It’s still QVGA, (320x240) 65,000 colors, and 2.8” in size. When watching video the picture is very sharp and clear. I think it is one of the nicest QVGA 2.8” screens I’ve seen. When used to view pictures, they are very clear, crisp, and vibrant, as Homer will tell you.

750030.jpg

Outdoor viewing is still terrible. I guess until we see manufactures step away from transflective screens we won’t see much improvement in outdoor viewing. Transflective screens when viewed indoors are very clear, and vibrant, but direct sunlight kills the pixels in them.

There is a screen protector in the box. Give it to the dog to chew on. It’s junk. I installed one for the 6700. There is not much room for error, but if you take your time and do it right it fits well. Here are a couple of hints: Go into the bathroom, turn the shower on HOT. This knocks all the dust out of the air, so you won’t get any between the screen and the protector. Secondly, put it on from side to side, not top to bottom. Putting it on from the side gives you a longer edge to help start it straight. As well it’s not as long, so it doesn’t travel sideways as much if it is slightly crooked.

PROCESSOR and PERFORMANCE

ss.bmp

As you can see from the screenshot above the P4000 is using Qualcomm’s new MSM7500 processor running at 400mhz. It is a dual core processor. The ARM11 core which handles the PDA functions runs at 400mhz. The second core is ARM9 running at 133mhz and handles the cellular needs of the device. This should result in an efficient use of power since using the phone only requires a processor spinning away at 133mhz opposed to 400mhz, plus the phone should not interfere with the overall processor needs of the PDA.

Not a lot is know about this processor yet in real world use since this is one of the first devices it has been used in. So far my experience has been good. I’ve been able to watch video using WMP running at 304kbps while listening over Bluetooth, and even stream it. I have noticed that when streaming video over ORB on wifi it is not as smooth, but still watchable. Applications such as iGuidance using a Bluetooth GPS receiver work fine as well.

As an experiment I tried to bring the Qualcomm processor to its knees. I failed. I opened several applications. Below is a complete list of what I ran:

Activesync

Comm Manager

Resco Registry Editor

Windows Media, playing music

File Explorer

Ereader

Audible, listening to a book (don’t think listening to a song and someone reading a book at the same time isn’t weird)

Internet Explorer, downloading web pages

Contacts

iGuidance, charting a route

Inbox, checking email

Wifi on

Phone app running with an EVDO connection

As well as whatever else is normally running in the background.

With all that I could not kill it. It was still as responsive with 3.61mb of RAM left as it was after a fresh reset with 27.43mb available. Music did not stutter. Audible did not stutter. I did notice the available RAM fluctuate as operations would change, such as opening a new app or a download would end, but it never ran out of memory. It seemed to manage memory without the need to close applications. Whether this is a result of the O/S releasing RAM from applications that have lessened their need, or if it is the processor handling operations better I can’t say. My knowledge base isn’t good enough to make that determination. All’s I know is I couldn’t kill the damn thing.

Hmmm….this leads me down a path I never thought I would go down. You know that little “x” at the top that we all whine about it not closing apps, and how Microsoft keeps telling us we don’t need to, the O/S will handle that for us, I guess, maybe, there’s a chance that, uh, well, maybe, just maybe, it’s possible, they are right?! Please don’t quote me on that. I’ll deny ever saying. wink.gif

Below are some benchmarks comparing it to the 6700 with its 400mhz processor and HTC’s x7500 (Advantage) which has a 624mhz Intel xScale processor.

As I always say when I post benchmarks, you can’t just look at the numbers and think that because one has a bigger number than another it is better or faster. To use benchmarks properly you need a certain amount of knowledge and experience in order to interpret them correctly. There are factors in any device that can affect the outcome which need to be factored in….anyway….. here they are. Have fun:

bench680.jpg

MEMORY

The P4000 has 256mb of ROM. Out of the box it has 175mb available. I’m getting a feeling that 256mb isn’t a bad number for a mobile device such as this. It is big enough for the majority of users to install most application to, and still have plenty of room for storage. For bigger applications like games, or other large storage needs like, music, or videos, there is a Micro SD slot….on the bottom ….aarrgggg. Although the card is recessed making it difficult to pop it out, it is possible. I haven’t done it yet. If it should happen, finding that tiny little Micro SD card should be an adventure.

BATTERY

The battery on the P4000 is 1500mAh. So far battery use has been good on this device. In any given 24 hour period the battery has not gone below 40%. Typical use for me is, 15-20 of phone use, perhaps 30 minutes listening to music, at least an hour of checking and reading email as well as surfing over both wifi and EVDO, reading ebooks for 1-2 hours, and other assorted tasks. All this with the phone on, and Bluetooth on as well, with the back light at 50%

After watching a movie for 1:45 with the backlight at 100%, the phone on with an EVDO connection, and Bluetooth on (not in use) it used 30% of the battery. That extends out to about 6 continuos hours of video watching with the phone on and the backlight at maximum. Not bad!

CAMERA

The P4000 has a 2mp camera. As well the settings are enhanced a bit over the 6700. Below is a picture taken outdoors, obviously:

oaks.jpg

This picture was taken indoors during daylight hours:

bjay.jpg

BITS and BYTES

The P4000 runs on Windows Mobile 5.0 AKU 3.3. So far Telus have made no official statement concerning an upgrade to WM6.0. Anything concerning that is pure speculation at this point.

It does NOT ship with a cradle. It can be bought separately. As well Microsoft have quit including a free copy of Outlook 2002. Now there is a free trail version of Outlook 2007.

The case pictured below is very similar to the one with the 6700 and other HTC cousins, except it is leather whereas the 6700’s was a fabric of some sort.

750036.jpg

The connector is mini USB. Wired headphones use the USB connector, so an adapter is needed to use standard wired headphone. Telus sell this as well.

One annoyance I have discovered is the indicator lights are a bit too big and bright. The first night I left the phone and BT on my wife woke up and though the police were next door arresting my neighbor, again….just kidding. wink.gif They really do have that effect though. At night with them on you need to put the phone down face first.

Carrier customization seems to be minimal on the P4000. When I took a peek inside the Extended ROM I found eight .cab files. They all seem to be rather benign, ranging from the Daylight Savings Time fix, to ringtones, and themes. Below is the list:

DefaultRingtone.cab

MP_CVSDcpl_20oo70129.cab

PP_PIE.sa.cab

PP_WelcomeMessage_1.3.cab,

Signed_0730319_Telus.sa.cab

Signed_NAME;OCK.cab

TSK.sa.cab

WM5DST_signed.cab

CONCLUSION

I’m at a loss as to why this device is shipping with WM5.0 when within a couple of weeks of its launch there are devices shipping with WM6.0. Personally I’m not too bothered by it. I’ve never been one to get too worked up over the need to have the latest number on my software. I’m much more concerned with performance and usability. If it’s better I’ll upgrade, if its minor I don’t rush out to get it. To me it would seem to make more sense to ship it with WM6.0. As an end user the changes in WM6.0 are far from “must have” so I’m very content with WM5.0 on it, but I do know that others feel stronger about it.

I went 16 months using the 6700. That is a huge record for me. Many times I saw new GSM devices come out and I considered grabbing one….or two. wink.gif However every time I compared them to the 6700 I found there was very little they could do that it couldn’t. I have to say, that is still true. There isn’t much, if anything, I can’t do with the 6700, that the P4000 can. HOWEVER, there are many ways in which the P4000 does things easier, and better. Overall, as an upgrade to the 6700 the P4000 is very worthy. If you are someone who has been considering going to a CDMA carrier, for whatever reasons, but stayed away because they had nothing to offer that you felt worthwhile, take a good look at the P4000 (6800), you may be pitching that SIM card.

ROCKINGGGGGGG.

get me one.

looks are impressive indeed.

nice handset.......

when will it cum in INDIA...

n can RELIANCE work on this set...

as hetal was saying that it used Meid pESN..n rel dun have dese...

Leave it on hetal bhai to make it work dude..!

Hey guys my Sprint MOGUL (XV6800) is on the way.

Hetal be loaded to crack this NUT :lol:

I am soon gonna start contest in which u can WIN MOGUL (XV6800), without paying a penny*.

* NO CONDITIONS APPLIED :)

Hey Sadik Enroll me !! for the Contest :):lol::D:D

Here is the Manual for Software of PPC6800 / HTC Mogul / HTC P4000

@Arun

PPC6700 from Sadik

or

PPC6800 from Sadik

Just Finalise one of it for Annual Gift

ppc_6800_ug.pdf

Hetal be loaded to crack this NUT :lol:

I am soon gonna start contest in which u can WIN MOGUL (XV6800), without paying a penny*.

@Arun

PPC6700 from Sadik

or

PPC6800 from Sadik

@Hetal

Eligibility, Rules and regulation yet to come.

Okay ... I decide to cheat ( :) ) hehe

gr8...! so now people will me more so enthu to post in this forum...

Hetal be loaded to crack this NUT :grin:

Enroll me also for the contest :rofl_200:

Before that get me one piece

Hetal be loaded to crack this NUT :grin:

@Arun

PPC6700 from Sadik

or

PPC6800 from Sadik

@Hetal

Eligibility, Rules and regulation yet to come.

Am I eligible?

what are the eligibility criteria??

Eligibility criteria is Diplomatically telling the masses - F*k off - U R OUT. :)

good info sheets..

just to make it a little more interesting... watch this...

Edited by watersigndj

This Phone Dont have Space to Solder RUIM Tray Behind the Battery in Back

I have Requested some Photograph and Just Received it from the Users of PPC6800 / HTC Mogul from USA

post-9478-1183696769_thumb.jpg

post-9478-1183696791_thumb.jpg

:)