Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kesav

Spice Launches Dual Phone

NEW DELHI: Riding on the growing trend, Spice Mobile on Wednesday launched the ‘Spice Dual Phone’ inbuilt with the option of two SIM cards. A technological first from Spice Mobile in the Indian market, it has both GSM and CDMA operational features.

Two variants of Spice Dual — D-88 which supports both GSM and CDMA active connections at the same time and D-80 which supports two GSM and GSM active connections — were launched here by Bollywood personality, Priyanka Chopra, the brand ambassador for the company. Spice Dual enables the user to make or receive calls from any SIM as well as receive and send SMS. The phone is targeted at all those who have two cell phone numbers and have been looking for the convenience of carrying just one phone. Speaking at the launch, Kunal Ahooja, CEO, said the company had a vision to be among the top five handset players in the Indian market. In the past two years, Spice Mobile has achieved steady growth and has gradually built a footprint across the country. He said it was estimated that around eight per cent of mobile phone subscribers already own two numbers and this trend was growing. Mr. Ahooja said the company planned to come out with a ‘Movie Phone’ with inbuilt DVD player and ‘people’s phone’.

source:: http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/02/stories/2007080254661800.htm

some more news on the same ......

New Delhi, Aug. 1 (PTI): Eyeing a marketshare of 10 per cent in next three years, B K Modi group company, Spice Mobile, today unveiled a dual mode handset in which both GSM and CDMA based mobile connections can be activated.

The company which has a target of selling 1.5 million handsets in this fiscal today said the dual mode phones are for the non-metro areas of town and cities. The company which banks heavily on marketing and branding is planning to invest about Rs 8 crore on these areas. It has Bollywood actress, Priyanka Chopra, as brand ambassador.

"The new phone is targeted to all who have two cell phone numbers and have been looking for a convenience of carrying just one phone, we are targetting mainly the consumers of town and rural areas. By 2010, our target in the market share will surge to 10 per cent," Spice Mobile Ltd., CEO Kunal Ahooja said here, adding it is estimated that around 8 per cent of mobile phone subscribers already own two numbers and we do foresee this trend to grow in future.

The company is also going to launch 'People's phone' costing less than Rs 1000, he said.

Spice which sold one million phones last year, will start manufacturing the handsets in 2008, he said.

The Spice Dual comes with two variants D-88 which supports both GSM and CDMA active connections at the same time and Spice Dual D-80, which supports two GSM and GSM active connections which is useful for travellers operating in the local area. The price of D-80 is Rs 9849, while D-88 is yet to hit the market.

source:: http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/...00708011766.htm

Edited by kesav

anyone know when Spice is planning to enter Mumbai?

I need this handset badly!

this handset is not network locked.

anyone know when Spice is planning to enter Mumbai?

I need this handset badly!

This is easily available in most of states. If you need it badly and not not getting there . I can courier from here . No premium charged , but courier expenses would be there in this case .

@drsankalp: rim can be used with it .

I thnk he needs dual mode CDMA-GSM handset which is not available in market.

Yes, I meant dual mode as opposed to dual SIM (GSM only).

Yes, I meant dual mode as opposed to dual SIM (GSM only).

yes i am talking of dual cdma-gsm phone of spice . it is available here .

is it CDMA + GSM or CDMA OR GSM. I mean can both network remain on simultanously and receive call?

The 4 operation modes of your D-88 make it a mix of endless possibilities. A combination of GSM and CDMA allows you to make the GSM connection your main number while the CDMA connection becomes your secondary number or vice versa. Or you can simply use either your CDMA or GSM connection.

It seems to be either of them CDMA OR GSM

Edited by kshah

price varyring from 9500-10000

its gsm+cdma .

you have option to receive call from cdma only , gsm only or from both gsm and cdma .

say if you are on call on cdma and somebody calls on gsm then you will get call waiting and vice versa.

also when call comes it shows whether it is coming on cdma or gsm

excellent for people carrying 2 mobiles . if you wanna have set then i can courier from here

its gsm+cdma .

you have option to receive call from cdma only , gsm only or from both gsm and cdma .

say if you are on call on cdma and somebody calls on gsm then you will get call waiting and vice versa.

excellent for people carrying 2 mobiles . if you wanna have set then i can courier from here

How come you are so sure? Have you used or seen handset? I sent mail from their site but no reply. Also there is no manual available on site. so I have a doubt. Alsi with just 800 mAH battery how much will be standby and talk time with both radio ON. These are important issues.

Edited by kshah

Details available.

http://spicemobile.in/model_fer_D88.aspx

Now :

WIll it work with Reliance? Probably yes must be RUIM enabled, unlocked

Rworld? No way

Rconnect? yes phone support data connectivity, there is driver for download. See readme comes with drivers

Battery Experience? I have doubts hence still trying to get confirmation. DO post here if u get info, I am interested too.

readme.rar

Edited by kshah

its gsm+cdma .

How come you are so sure? Have you used or seen handset? I sent mail from their site but no reply. Also there is no manual available on site. so I have a doubt. Alsi with just 800 mAH battery how much will be standby and talk time with both radio ON. These are important issues.

yes i have seen the phone . my friend has bought from local mobile dealer

its gsm+cdma .

yes i have seen the phone . my friend has bought from local mobile dealer

Ok, thats gr8, can you pl tell me standby and talk time with both radio on, I am soryy but gonna trouble u

NEW DELHI: Riding on the growing trend, Spice Mobile on Wednesday launched the ‘Spice Dual Phone’ inbuilt with the option of two SIM cards. A technological first from Spice Mobile in the Indian market, it has both GSM and CDMA operational features.

Two variants of Spice Dual — D-88 which supports both GSM and CDMA active connections at the same time and D-80 which supports two GSM and GSM active connections — were launched here by Bollywood personality, Priyanka Chopra, the brand ambassador for the company. Spice Dual enables the user to make or receive calls from any SIM as well as receive and send SMS. The phone is targeted at all those who have two cell phone numbers and have been looking for the convenience of carrying just one phone. Speaking at the launch, Kunal Ahooja, CEO, said the company had a vision to be among the top five handset players in the Indian market. In the past two years, Spice Mobile has achieved steady growth and has gradually built a footprint across the country. He said it was estimated that around eight per cent of mobile phone subscribers already own two numbers and this trend was growing. Mr. Ahooja said the company planned to come out with a ‘Movie Phone’ with inbuilt DVD player and ‘people’s phone’.

source:: http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/02/stories/2007080254661800.htm

SPICE MOBILE handset price toooo high compare to tata indicom samung dual phone its just begining but it should get lower as days pass with new and latest features on phone

-

-

-

-

SPICE MOBILE handset price toooo high compare to tata indicom samung dual phone its just begining but it should get lower as days pass with new and latest features on phone

It only seems high because the Samsung is a touchscreen phone and the price difference is only 2,500 - 3000. But what the Spice phone scores on is the functionality of simultaneous dual network which the Samsung lacks. And there is also the issue of we not being able to use a RIM number on the Samsung phone.

So the superior functionality more than makes up for the loss of a touchscreen.

Edited by mrasool

But won't dual simultaneous network take tax on battery life? in reliance, if u r on low network area, then battery life is affected a lot by constant searching of networks. so for two networks, it'll be double the work, and so wont' the battery life be much less?

it is strange to know that this phone does not have bluetooth & Fm.

can anyone tell me about the pc sync abilities of the phone. Can we take a backup of messages & phone book ?

But won't dual simultaneous network take tax on battery life? in reliance, if u r on low network area, then battery life is affected a lot by constant searching of networks. so for two networks, it'll be double the work, and so wont' the battery life be much less?

Yes it will shorten the battery life - but that's unavoidable unless you choose to switch one SIM off.

By using common components like antennas, displays etc, the drain will NOT be double but more around 2/3rd - 3/4th more than a single SIM.

Customers who carry around 2 handsets currently will be happy to carry a single handset and extra battery instead.

today i saw this phone in 'Hot Spot' Delhi (Hot Spot is the authorised resellers for spice mobiles).

it looks just like a thick version of motorola L6. its current cost is 9300. but unavailability of bluetooth is really a big drawback in this handset. it is'nt worth this amount.

now the only query...

It will not work with any of the softwares for sending sms through PC..

Will it work with any one of the following...

Pc suite

HP sms server

SMS caster

Or does it has its own pc suite??