Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kshah

3G, Our Expectations And Reality Today

We all have high hopes for 3G, coming soon to mobile. I have been testing EVDO services of reliance in Ahmedabad just to see how fast and consistent it is.

THought it is said to be EVDO Rev-A network and CDMA by default is much more efficient in real life environment as far as data transfer is concerned.

I see very disappointing results where very rarely download speed crossing 2 mbps and most of the time it hoovers around 1 mbps.

Attached excel sheet contains data transfer rate at various places of Ahmedabad. I conducted these tests mainly while driving at traffic junctions scattered all over Ahmedabad. I also tried to take more than 1 speed test when ever possible to reduce chances of improper judgment.

I used speedtest.net application and used mumbai server. Where you see 0 or -00 its error due to dormancy / device sleep and its not very serious.

If this is the scenario with CDMA where EVDO is still provided on very few handsets and provided mainly on DATA cards, its not difficult to imagine scenario where if 10% of mobile devices start using data. Also what would be scenario in GSM then?? I have seen deteriorating services of airtel as data usage increased. When I switched to airtel before about 2 years it was as fast as 1X, now its about 1/4 the 1X (Average of 40 kbps is the best)

I do not know how to convert to graph and post, so if any one knows how to convert excel data to graph and please post it for easy reference.

EVDO.xls

Can you confirm that your device is Rev. A and not Rev.0 ?

Are you sure that tested areas are under RCOM's Rev.A BTSs?

Yes, Its rev A and have tried in Ahmedabad, another myth about EVDO Rev-A is simultaneous voice and data, Its not there. Your phone do not remain busy while data transfer when on EVDO. However when you accept voice call, data session do get interrupted.

And even if its Rev-0 there could not be any justification for 300-500 kbps data transfer rates. :Equivocado:

another myth about EVDO Rev-A is simultaneous voice and data, Its not there.

there is no such myth

is clearly described by qualcomm and websites everywhere that REV A doesnt do voice data simulatenously

its like EDGE , when u get call data stops , but when data is on u can still recieve calls

only WIMAX 4G CAN DO Simultaneous voice and data

there is no such myth

is clearly described by qualcomm and websites everywhere that REV A doesnt do voice data simulatenously

its like EDGE , when u get call data stops , but when data is on u can still recieve calls

Myth is not from qualcomm, its general perception amongst users, I see lot many people asking same question on google and I remember this type of discussion took place even on Rimweb, where it was percieved that the day we get EVDO Rev-A, we will have voice data simultaneous.

In EDGE incoming call do get engaged tone, I dont know if its the case only with airtel.

Wimax means having two radio on at the same time, so its possible even on wifi, I know my friend using wifi services in ahmedabad while on move and he is very happy just because of the reason that he get voice data simultaneously. 512 kbps to 2 mbps data plans on wifi on spidigo are very cheap.

Edited by kshah

@ Kshah Ji,

If you are getting around 1mbps on EVDO Rev.A, it is good speed, Yes.

No man can get 3.1mbps DL and 1.8mpbs UL at anytime.

A single EVDO BTS have 3 Sector on single PN - Alpha, Beta and Gamma. and a BTS is capable of upto 3.1mbps DL and 1.8 mpbs UL for Single Sector RF.

So there are many people connected over the Same Sector of PN -BTS.

Hence you get the speed divided among all subscriber.

3.1mbps is Bandwidth of BTS which will be divided for sure.

@ Kshah Ji,

I remember the days before 21 March 2009.

EVDO was launched commercially in India on 21 March 2009 by Reliance; and I had got the test device in Jan last and I used to use it.

That time I used to get 3.1mbps full speed on good websites. Reason, I was only the person latched to BTS on which there were no other connected.

:previous:

does it mean that if anyone is getting 1 mbps speed then only 3 suscribers are connected to the BTS

there is no such myth

Myth is not from qualcomm, its general perception amongst users, I see lot many people asking same question on google and I remember this type of discussion took place even on Rimweb, where it was percieved that the day we get EVDO Rev-A, we will have voice data simultaneous.

In EDGE incoming call do get engaged tone, I dont know if its the case only with airtel.

Wimax means having two radio on at the same time, so its possible even on wifi, I know my friend using wifi services in ahmedabad while on move and he is very happy just because of the reason that he get voice data simultaneously. 512 kbps to 2 mbps data plans on wifi on spidigo are very cheap.

Let me just clear this. In EDGE itself there is support for both voice and data simultaneously. For eg. nokia Eseries as well as N series some handsets ON airtel network supports data as well as voice. I have personally confirmed this. This works when both device as well as network supports it. In india so far I have seen only Airtel supporting such a stuff.

does it mean that if anyone is getting 1 mbps speed then only 3 suscribers are connected to the BTS

Will all person use 1mbps full bandwidth all the time?? Someone might be surfing, some might be idle, some might be uploading, some might be downlaoding.

If a person is getting around 1Mbps it nearly means that approx of 15-20 people are connected to BTS.

My point is. this is just a begining and performance is so, what will happen when 3G devices increase. People are dreaming video call, live tv, blazing fast downloads ( as news papers mentioned) . They are going to get disappointments.

In gsm implementing class A edge means reducing revenue. In ahmedabad I used Airtel edge and never found voice data simulatanously it may be implemented in some cities.

Edited by kshah

^^^

RCom is coming up with HSUPA - 14mbps 3G on GSM Network on 2100 Mhz.

2100 Mhz means more BTS; every KM there will be a BTS that too of 2100 MHz, and 2100 MHz can hold many users at a time.

Average people will get 1mbps, even if 50-60 users are connected to same BTS.

You cant dream of actual 3G GSM with current CDMA EVDO which is at 800MHz.

Edited by @mitJ@in

Well @ Amit Jain

This Statement is wrong " Single BTS can Transfer Max 3.1 mbps / 1.8 Upload" But i will correct it as

Single Carrier of 1.25 Mhz can carry 3.1 / 1.8 mbps and Reliance TATA, MTS, BSNL all have only Single Carrier

if they gets more carrier we can get more Bandwidth as Useres will be on same BTS but different Subnet on EVDO any way thats the Distance Dream as 800 mhz is Jam Packed and not place left there for more Expansion so Both 3GSM will be fast but spotty loosy and EVDO will be Strong but slow on Speed hahhahahaha we are stuck at same Avenue where we were

Lets wait ADAG Expansion in 700 Mhz 4G LTE

cald customer care n heard dat 3G services will be starting very soon on R-cdma! :Sorprendido:

disappointing results... only + point I see is that calls comes through unhindered while using data... I hope the data resumes after the call ends?

disappointing results... only + point I see is that calls comes through unhindered while using data... I hope the data resumes after the call ends?

Yes, data session resumes once voice call is over. While sending or receiving SMS, it switches to 1X for a while.

cald customer care n heard dat 3G services will be starting very soon on R-cdma! :Sorprendido:

yes, calling *222 says "Reliance mobile will soon introduce live tv, video calling and high speed internet.... "

Does it mean EVDO can be activated on all supported handsets?

Is there any CDMA handset that support video calling (with secondary front camera) ?

In gsm implementing class A edge means reducing revenue. In ahmedabad I used Airtel edge and never found voice data simulatanously it may be implemented in some cities.

In Mumbai on Airtel Edge sim card i am getting voice & data simultaneously tested .... :)

In Mumbai on Airtel Edge sim card i am getting voice & data simultaneously tested .... :)

It's good to know .