Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
HetalDP

MNP : Rules And Regulations

Here us Mobile Number Portability Rules, Regulations (Rights and Obligations concerned with Parties in MNP Process)

Updates Posted on this Link the Same Thread but 19th Post

http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?showtopic=20315&view=findpost&p=155109

MNP___Draft_Regulation_30_Jun_2009.pdf

Thanks for the info...

but its still does not clarify many facts...

Is MNP allowed only GSM to GSM and CDMA to CDMA or is it across platforms?

Can MNP be done in Lifetime Customers?

If it is allowed then, What will be the status of Lifetime Customers after MNP; i.e will it be retained or will have to be taken again?

Some points I got were-

You have to stay with a operator for min. 90 days before applying for MNP

great.. it says

"Mobile Number Portability" means the facility which allows a subscriber of a mobile telephone service to retain his mobile telephone number when he moves from one mobile telephone service provider to another irrespective of the mobile technology or from one mobile technology to another of the same mobile telephone service provider, within such limits as may be permitted by the licensor"

which means CDMA->GSM and vice versa is allowed

Edited by NagpurDaMunda

I thinks its pretty fair. 90 days locking or porting charges, billing etc.

I have a feeling that initially they will not offer it to prepaid customers but surely they will provide MNP to all. New operator will charge again for lifetime validity , I also feel that lifetime charges will increase once MNP comes. Because that wway they will try to retain customers.

@hetalbhai, nice info.. thanks..

1. Lifetime is just a Contract Condition with Current Provider once u change the Operator the Contract is lost and you have to again Pay for Such things

2. Prepaid and Post is also a Contract Condition with Current Provider so u can change from Old Prepaid to new Postpaid and vice Versa.

3. CDMA to GSM and Vice Versa is Allowed as Number is not Bound to any Operator or Technology.

^^^^ good explanation...

I have a feeling that initially they will not offer it to prepaid customers but surely they will provide MNP to all. New operator will charge again for lifetime validity , I also feel that lifetime charges will increase once MNP comes. Because that way they will try to retain customers.

I think Prepaid and Postpaid will be Treated equally, and if still such Condition Exist. We have COnvert our Prepaid to Postpaid with Current Provider itself and then try for Porting Number :winko::winko::winko:

Reason for prepaid could be because all operators would want their prepaid customers to spectrum squatting. And prepaid customers are least loyal - me as postpaid user not loyal as well.

can loyalty related with type? i am skeptical.i know many ppl who were using prepaid since yaers and also happen to be high ARPU contributors(another myth )

^^

Its observations in general.a. ARPU for prepaid is half the postpaid. There are people who are so concerned about number change so remain stuck.

Me despite being postpaid user, I always change numbers when ever I am dissatisfied with service providers.

I have a feeling that initially they will not offer it to prepaid customers but surely they will provide MNP to all. New operator will charge again for lifetime validity , I also feel that lifetime charges will increase once MNP comes. Because that wway they will try to retain customers.

No, if any chagres are incresed then no one will migrate. but new opertor always want customer of old operator.

I have a feeling that initially they will not offer it to prepaid customers but surely they will provide MNP to all. New operator will charge again for lifetime validity , I also feel that lifetime charges will increase once MNP comes. Because that way they will try to retain customers.

I think Prepaid and Postpaid will be Treated equally, and if still such Condition Exist. We have COnvert our Prepaid to Postpaid with Current Provider itself and then try for Porting Number :winko::winko::winko:

no, becuse, doner may commit 6month locking for MNP if u change to postpaid,

How do we recognise the on net numbers for on net free calling ?

Once MNP will come in existance, ON NET concept will change entirely, then one has to say on which network he is on - if opted for MNP. I have seen business cards, where they mention network name for their phone numbers.

^^^ Dont you think it will be humurous..

Kunal Makwana

+91 93741 93742 (Tata, Gujarat Circle)..

LOLz....

Once MNP will come in existance, ON NET concept will change entirely, then one has to say on which network he is on - if opted for MNP. I have seen business cards, where they mention network name for their phone numbers.

Another solution would be a recorded message which would greet every caller before the phone actually ringing, saying something like "You are trying to call a RGSM number" or something like that

TRAI wants telcos to bear number portability cost

Source

NEW DELHII: The Telecom regulator TRAI wants service providers to bear the cost of supporting mobile number portability, a move which operators say is heavily loaded against them and will benefit the MNP operators only.

The regulator has sought stakeholders' opinion through a consultation paper by tomorrow on MNP charges, which will decide what the customer has to pay.

“It therefore follows that the recipient operator shall not charge any additional fee for porting-in the mobile number of the subscriber other than the 'porting charge',” according to the consultation paper.

This porting charge shall not be more than the “per port (of) transaction charge” to be paid by the operator to the MNP service provider, which will be determined by TRAI after the consultation process, the paper says.

The regulator has said if an operator does not give its response by July 17, it will be presumed that it (the operator) agrees with the suggestions.

Some GSM operators have said this will benefit MNP operators. Syniverse and Telcordia-backed MNP Interconnect are the two managers of mobile number portability (MNP) in the country. - PTI

Here is Date of Extension for Consulatation Paper Inviated for Comments from Stake Holder, I think this is the Final Paper Before something Kicks in.

But The 2 Replied i have Attached have Some NICE Point Raised by BSNL and COAI (Cellular Operator Association of India - GSM Body) that CDMA Phone must be Unlocked and allowed to carry to next Operator if the Donor and Receiver Network both Uses CDMA Technology.

For BSNL Please See the Point Number : 10

For COAI Please See the Point Number : 25

I think we have enough Heads in this Forum Who can Draft a Reply to Consultation Paper in his own Capacity and Submit it to TRAI and ME so we can create enough pressure on TRAI and other Bodies that CDMA Phone must be unlocked and allowed to used in other network and again. This way we might activate Phone in Tata and Later on Shirt that Connection to Reliance and FOrce them to Activate the Phone.

You u say guys come on in. Join and Write the Reply. and Forward it to me.

CPaper-Invitation-22-Jul-09-1.pdf

CPaper-Invitation-22-Jul-09.pdf

Reply-BSNL.pdf

Reply-COAI.pdf

Interesting Points from BSNL

Page: 4 Point: 10

10. CDMA mobile connections are available only in bundled form with handset contrary to GSM connections where handset is not bundled with the connections. The CDMA handsets are locked with a particular operator. The handset of CDMA mobile connection can not be used with GSM connections. Even CDMA handset of one operator can not be used with another CDMA operator. Such locking of CDMA handset with a particular operator creates a hindrance for freely porting of mobile numbers from one operator to another and even from one technology to another and amounts to restrictive trade practices. This vital issue has not been addressed in the current draft regulations even when the same was appreciated and discussed in various meetings. This issue needs to be immediately addressed otherwise porting of mobile numbers would not be possible from CDMA to GSM technology and vice-versa.

Interesting Points from COAI

Page: 13 Point: 25

Issue of Network Locked Handsets: - Since the subscribers are at the core of this key issue of implementation of MNP in India, it is important to safeguard the interest of the subscribers. The subscribers are going to be the prime users and prime beneficiaries of MNP, hence the subscribers should not face any hurdles while opting for porting. Thus the Draft Regulations should look into the aspect of lock-in of handsets:

The network locked handsets provided by some service providers, especially the operators using CDMA Technology, cannot be used in any other network including the GSM network. Even CDMA handset of one operator can not be used with another CDMA network. So, we would like to reiterate that it would act as a huge exit barrier from the CDMA service provider. So, we would request the Authority to take suitable step to ensure the level playing field between the GSM and CDMA based network operator. In order to provide such level playing field, the authority should make it mandatory for the CDMA based operators to either unlock the handset at the time of porting or to buy back the network locked handsets at a reasonable price.

^

I am lovin it...

awesome draft points mate !!

Good one HP...

BSNL is saying this because,

they are soon going to launch CDMA mobile with 10 digit,

coz, they have license, they had allocated MNC code(few in 91 series and few 96 series)

they are incresing thier network, planing to invest 340bn.

also Installed new server for PRE-PAID billing

Roaming already started (in NIC and EVDO data card),

Also in talk with foreign operator for tie-up( may be MVNO)

looking for MNP implementation to get maximum subscriber,

But only problem remain is handset(both locked and OMH) & subsciber from MNP.

i still doubt this will ever be implemented by reliance , they wont like to accept handsets from other operators specially from foreign operators , otherwise who will buy their over expensive and outdated handsets .

the above post pretty much explains why bsnl wants this thing to be implemented

alos seeing how long it took trai and operators to come to an agreement for MNP, which still isnt implemented , may be in sep as they say.

i m taking this with a pinch of salt !!!

hope this happens in my lifetime

Edited by mufaddal_km