Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
savramesh

Trai Asks Telcos To Take Written Consent Of Users On Vas

Economic Times

27 Apr 2009, 1738 hrs IST

NEW DELHI: Telecom regulator TRAI on Monday directed the operators to see explicit consent from users who have subscribed value added services (VAS) such as call ring back tone and hello tunes through writing for preventing accidental activation of such services.

The Authority is of the view that there could be chances of accidental activation of VAS through this (pressing of a key to express consent) method. Operators will now have to convey to the customer in writing or through SMS or FAX or e-mail, all the details of the offer of a value added service.

The accidental activation of such VAS through Out-Bound- Dialer (OBD) call could happen without understanding the implications of such offer leading to subscription to chargeable VAS, TRAI said.

TRAI feels the system pressing a button to get a service activated is not a sound method as children at home, could have unintentionally pressed a particular key. There may also be possibilities that a customer may not have listened to the announcements fully or did not understand the offer and pressed a particular key unintentionally, thereby activating the service, it said.

Its the need of the hour. TRAI must tighten the screws on telecom operators for value added services. because value added services attract lower revenue sharing with government all companies have devised tricks to increase their earnings from VAS. Mtnl follows a very transparent policy. if you make a request for a service activation they would give you a confirmation call before actually activating it. thats the way telcos should be ordered to do this.

goog trai acting on this . but these telecom companies will find something or other to LOOT

Great yaar Great....

TRAI doing Good Job...

40% Subscribers Issue will be resolved, if the VAS Services are not activated without there consent.

^^^ Cmon man, this is the only way they loot us !

What will they do with such stringent rules taking effect ?

Imagine the world without thieves.. :D

Imagining a world without thieves is like a world without businessman. I am a business man too.. :death:

Forget a world without thieves,. Very soon the telcos wil get their act together to implement newer and mdern means to loot their valuable customers!!!!!!!!!!!

Good initiative by TRAI. Better late than never...

Wonderfull....

Good News ! :)

Actually it will be such a pleasure to see Operators this time cry over TRAI's regulations..

They thought they have all the brains in the business.. but only for cheating & short-cuts in life.

Why because they were almost used to this life but now, suddenly during recession, 2 number ka funds will dry up !

Which brings me to the thinking table.. did consumer complains really help or TRAI just woke up because one of their seniors got a wrong bill full of VAS ?

According to the attachment posted by Supernova atleast, looks like the former might be true !

now it had become necessary to take action against telecom companies .

Oh God!

Now the WWE guys would have to think new ways to achieve their targets.

A very good news for mobile users....

As per my information, TRIA has ordered all cell phone co. (CMDA and GSM) to activate any VAS (Value Added Service) that they should take conformation from the customer before adding any VAS pack to their Number....

now the question is that before also the vas pack is activated after the conformation of the customer.....

as per i was told that now the retial will activate vas pack to the customer number and 1st charge will be deducted from retialer e-recharge mdn and the customer have to pay cash to the retilar.....

from 1st june this will be start....

so wht do u say abt this....

Edited by Honest
<< Topic Merged >>

maybe i am not good at English but i didn't quite get what r tryin to say...

Jiska koi nhi uska to khuda(TRAI) h yaro.me nhi kahta ye aaj forum me pada h yaro.

good move atlast by trai

Thank God...

Now Press * to copy tune will not work for customers without my tune.

<< Topic Merged >>

Now Press * to copy tune will not work for customers without my tune.

Are u saying it already started to take effect ? Since when ?

It was mentioned in some post that it wil happen only after 1st June ?

Written consent must for value added services, directs TRAI

Times of India

11 Jun 2009, 0333 hrs IST, TNN

CHENNAI: The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has directed operators to seek consent in writing from users who have subscribed for a value-added service (VAS) such as a call ring back tone or a hello tune, to prevent accidental activation of such services. TRAI authorities are convinced that there are chances of accidental activation of VAS through the pressing of a key to express consent' method. Operators will now have to convey to the customer in writing or by an SMS, fax or email details of a VAS offer.

Accidental activation of VAS through an Out-Bound Dialer (OBD) call could happen without understanding the implications of an offer and lead to subscription to a chargeable service, TRAI said. According to TRAI, the current pressing a button' system to get a service activated is not sound since even children can unintentionally press a particular key on a cellphone. There are also possibilities of a customer not having listened completely to announcements or not having understood the offer.

The Internet and Mobile Association of India predicts that the VAS industry will touch Rs 9,760 crore by end of - June, clocking 70% growth. Music, caller ring back tones and wallpapers are the services most in demand. Over half the music industry's Intellectual Property Rights - comes from the mobile space.