1. 1. Which is ur favorite web browser?

• Internet Explorer
    • Netscape
    • Mozilla
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Opera
    • MSN Explorer
    • Others

Vishal is right, I'm talking about relianceinfo.com. Anyone with any solution? please help.

And redshift,

Firefox is running quite fast... I like the 'favourite' toolbar on top and the tabs. :quest:

but if deepu_vk(RIM website is optimized for Internet Explorer. It may not work perfectly on Firefox) is correct, then see this is the compatibility error that i was talking about which non ie browsers suffer.

Edited by RSumit

To add on firefox takes too much memory compared to IE.just look at your task manager in win2k ot winXP. :quest:

only way is uninstall pr1 completely and then install 0.93 version.

17887[/snapback]

yes vishal...unistalling pr1 and installing 0.93 is what i meant by downgrading....

and it doesnt work....

Yeah, i checked the relianceinfocom.com....doesnt work prop for me either.... :quest: ....

add windowsupdate also to the sites_that_dont_work_on_firefox list !

To add on firefox takes too much memory compared to IE.just look at your task manager in win2k ot winXP. :help:

17924[/snapback]

Internet Explorer being a Microsoft Product uses lots of features that are already in Windows. So when it is running, it does not need to start these because they are already there along with the OS.

To be more descriptive... consider this.. Internet Explorer has the menu, buttons and the look similar to other windows applications.

Also Internet Explorer is integrated into windows. Thats why you can start browsing directly from windows apps like explorer, my computer etc....

Firefox mean while has its own way of creating the GUI... Thats why its skinnable and we can change the look of GUI.

To be more specific any app which is skinnable will take more memory when compared to plain windows looking applications.

The main difference between IE and Firefox lies in the HTML rendering engine.

Firefox's HTML rendering engine is much superior when compared to IE.

Thats why Firefox loads web pages faster than IE.

The difference will be more felt if you use a broad band connection.

Some browsers like Net captor, Fast Browser etc are built on IE's HTML rendering engine and using those will give you the same speeds as IE.

IE, Firefox and Opera has there own HTML rendering logic.

(If there is any thing wrong with these guys pls correct me :quest::confuse: )

To add on Firefox complies with all the standard HTML has... But Microsoft has added some of their own tags to HTML standards which may not always work with Firefox/Opera.

relianceinfo.com some how uses those tags.

Thats why relianceinfo.com is not working perfectly in Firefox

I have tried browsing relianceinfo.com with Opera 7.54 and the Quick Links are working fine. But the site has a different look when its viewed in IE (the fonts look different)...

Edited by deepu_vk

Now Opera uses different rendering engine than IE. If opera can render the drop down menu... then the menu does not use IE only tags created by MS to retain monoploy. So if Opera can open it, Firefox should also be able to... but it fails. So it is a prob with Mozilla engine.

Anyways, MS may hv created some customized tags but designers must be finding them helpful and thats why they r using them. More over in the case of amaeture sites, most of them r designed using Frontpage which incorporates many only IE features.

Visit to DHTML help sites show almost 60pc of codes xclusive for IE or u need additional codes to make the same work in other browsers.

So if u use IE u can be sure not to miss any part of a site. So even if u hv Firefox & others u just can't kick off IE .

Thats exactly the point even though some of Firefox is fast we cannot ignore IE completely.

But one thing that I can say for sure is that Firefox is the most standards complaint Web browser available and follows the full W3C recommendations.

Opera may have added support for Some IE specific tags which FireFox developpers may not have done till now.

For example the <marquee> tag is not a W3C standard HTML tag. This is an IE specific tag and earlier versions of Firefox/Mozilla did not support this.

<IFRAME> is another IE specific tag that will not work in earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox.

Now Firefox/Mozilla has support for these tags and works fine in Firefox.

Edited by deepu_vk

casn someone provide me the link from where i can get free opera

Opera is an advertisement supported browser... But you can register it by getting the serial number and the advertisement will go once you register it :D

Edited by deepu_vk

The registration is not Free ;'( and we are not habituated with paying for a browser :)

Guys check out this page in Firefox and IE: http://www.rimweb.com/forums/index.php?act...sort_order=desc

Notice the difference in the two cases with Chirag's and Ashokjp's "level"???

If nobody finds any difference, it might be some problem with the installation or something and I'll try re-installing Firefox...

17547[/snapback]

I did not notice any difference between the levels, They're on the same line.

I guess it could be an issue with your resolution.

Im on 1024 x 768.

Try that resolution and check

And paying for a browser is the last thing i can think of doing.

heh heh...

Edited by iiii_pretender_iiii

To add on firefox takes too much memory compared to IE.just look at your task manager in win2k ot winXP. :)

17924[/snapback]

Yea i look at my task manager and it says

firefox : 19,596 [ 2 tabs open & update manager running]

iexplore : 16,860 [2 pages ]

Dam Yea, you're right. Its taking more resources.

But guess what, for a browser, a download manager, a update center, and loads of other plugins im running, and the fastest browsing expirience ive ever seen,

i decide im willing to give it those extra 3,000 k

what say you ?

A security company has found IE attacks are more common than any other hacking techniques - and for some reason they tend to happen on Wednesday...

Microsoft Internet Explorer exploits represented the highest number of hacking attacks in the first half of the year.

According to security company ScanSafe, the number one hack in the second quarter was Exploit.HTML.Mht, which was used to target almost twice as many organisations as other exploits.

"One of the things we've been surprised at is the growth rate of threats," said Roy Tuvey, director of ScanSafe. "There's been a 15 percent rise every quarter and the threat is really rising. The first thing exploited are browser vulnerabilities."

Oddly, 21 percent of virus attacks occurred on Wednesdays and only 6 percent at the weekend. The company said the reason was that most viruses were launched at weekends and spread during the week.

Researchers at the managed Web security company found that while Trojans and worms posed a significant threat, exploits accounted for 19 percent of all attacks they saw. But spyware only totalled 12 percent.

The company also found that ten percent of attacks occurred on email Web sites.

ScanSafe said it receives more than one billion Web requests per month.

I feel, this problem continues, atleast Mr.Bill knows and agrees upon opensoruce concept and be more flexible wirth the cdoe and WHO to FIX the bugs????

and atleast until Microsoft websites acknowledge and work well with other browsers too, (while happily allowing users uninstall IE if they donot want)

let us see how it goes,

Also missing 'clear usage history' option of Opera. But still IE6 is the best.

17287[/snapback]

Hey there sumit,

If ya are talking about 'clear usage history' in "FireFox", Then nothing missing. :)

Its right there in your menus.

Go for tools -> options -> select privacy -> clear all.

Welcome to "Firefox"

Guys check out this page in Firefox and IE: http://www.rimweb.com/forums/index.php?act...sort_order=desc

Notice the difference in the two cases with Chirag's and Ashokjp's "level"???

If nobody finds any difference, it might be some problem with the installation or something and I'll try re-installing Firefox...

17547[/snapback]

I did not notice any difference between the levels, They're on the same line.

I guess it could be an issue with your resolution.

Im on 1024 x 768.

Try that resolution and check

And paying for a browser is the last thing i can think of doing.

heh heh...

18074[/snapback]

You're right pretender, the problem was with the display mode. But it displays properly in IE! How's that???

You're right pretender, the problem was with the display mode. But it displays properly in IE! How's that???

18097[/snapback]

You see thats because of the diffrence in the way in which firefox handles page layouts.

If you notice, in IE, there is no space left to the left-side of the page.

So the left-side of the page is kind of stuck to the left of your screen.

Firefox handles this by leaving a margin even if the develepor forgot to do so..

So after leaving that margin, there is not enough width left for the cell to display in one line, and so it takes the last rank value to the next line to accomodate

the whole table width wise.

Since firefox is new, it'll take time for the develepors to adapt.

I remember how much time IE 6 took to get a footing...

Most web designers try to write code that'll display on any kind of browser.

But some designer just wont care [ or just arent good enuf at coding :P ].

A good example is the reliance site as someone mentioned.

I dont understand why reliance bieng such a huge company goes for cheap labour. cheap develepors, cheap call centers ....

Anyways, as far as firefox is concerned, its definitely the next succesor to Mozilla.

Lets stand aside and watch it grow rather than scrutinising its abilities in its child stages. As for me, its doing better than i expected at this stage of its evolution...

Ps : no, i dont work for mozilla :P

Microsoft Internet Explorer Buffer Overflow in IFRAME Tag Processing Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code

Date:  Nov 2 2004

Impact:  Execution of arbitrary code via network, User access via network

Exploit Included:  Yes 

Version(s): 6

Description:  A buffer overflow vulnerability was reported in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) in the processing of IFRAME tags. A remote user can execute arbitrary code on the target user's system.

ned from felinemenace.org and Berend-Jan Wever reported that IE does not properly validate certain IFRAME tag attributes. A remote user can create specially crafted HTML that, when loaded by the target user, will execute arbitrary code on the target user's system.

A specially crafted SRC and NAME attribute can trigger the flaw, allowing the HTML to modify the EAX register, which can lead to modification of the ECX and subsequently the EIP register. A demonstration exploit is of the following form:

<IFRAME SRC=AAAAAAAAAAAA.... NAME="BBBBBBBBBBB....">

Exploit code has been released.

It is reported that systems running Windows XP SP2 are not affected.

Impact:  A remote user can execute arbitrary code on the target user's system with the privileges of the target user.

Solution:  No solution was available at the time of this entry.

Source: Security Tracker

Edited by karpar

Hello Firefox fans,

Again stuck with Firefox... it cant remember Bookmarks.

When I click on Bookmark this page under Bookmarks a Add bookmark dialog box comes up with Add/Cancel buttons. But on clicking on Add button the dialog box remains as it is but bookmark gets added in the bookmark menu. Then I click on 'x' button to close the dialog box.

But as I shut Firefox and open it the next time the bookmark is no more in the bookmark menu!!! Strange.

Now whats the solution ????

Help me pleeese

Edited by RSumit

Really Weird.

I have tried this on my firefox many times. This problem has never happened for me.

okay very good it rocks for u...and so it does for me too where its speed is concerned, but any solution for this strange problem.