1. 1. Which is ur favorite web browser?

• Internet Explorer
    • Netscape
    • Mozilla
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Opera
    • MSN Explorer
    • Others

I'm in favour of Good, Old, IE in the new bottle :confuse: I mean IE6. i'm habituated with offline browsing. Does any browser supports Offline Browsing so smoothly?

I downloaded Firefox only because of the raving reviews you guys gave of it.

Its quite good, I like the tabbed browsing a lot.

But one of the basic requirements of a good browser is to display a page properly and here, Firefox fails miserably!

Why, its not able to display its own pages for downloading the extensions and themes properly!!!

I'm not able to resume the paused downloads either! Does it work properly for everyone else???

Edited by karpar

Why, its not able to display its own pages for downloading the extensions and themes properly!!!

I'm not able to resume the paused downloads either! Does it work properly for everyone else???

i have Never had neither of the above said problems karpar... its been more than an year now...

d/ls r perfectly resumable, and pages do display properly...

Something else is amiss...im not sure what....

maybe u can try downgrading to the stable 0.93 verson IF ur using the 1.0 PR..might help

i ha ;) ve Never had neither of the above said problems karpar... its been more than an year now...

d/ls r perfectly resumable, and pages do display properly...

Something else is amiss...im not sure what....

maybe u can try downgrading to the stable 0.93 verson IF ur using the 1.0 PR..might help

17161[/snapback]

Would just like to mention here that i've been using v1.0PR And had no problems what so ever so far.

I have quite a bundle of themes and extensions for it. [ If not all :P ]

So Karpar, the prob is probably at your end.

V1.0 PR is much faster than the earlier versions. so rEdshiFt, You might consider upgrading.

Must say, i think mozilla has hit it right this time.

I've made Firefox my primary browser now. :)

I'm in favour of Good, Old, IE in the new bottle :D I mean IE6. i'm habituated with offline browsing. Does any browser supports Offline Browsing so smoothly?

16794[/snapback]

yup... after trying various browsers I came back to IE.

With RConnect speed no longer is an issue. Regarding downloading u allways have specialized progs like DAP to handle it.

IE is the most compatible browser and all codes work in it.

Opera with MDI is good... even I was its fan but its offline browsing doesn't work well. Also missing 'clear usage history' option of Opera. But still IE6 is the best.

But Opera is eally FAST! Netscape is very hungry on resources. IE crashes every now and then So...?

Now does the speed really make any difference, i mean that with rconnect u've enough speed to do browsing, downloading, streaming radio simultanaeously.

More over Opera takes much longer to start.

Then various add-on bars,some special DHTML scripts etc don't work in Opera. And with WIN XP does IE6 really that vunerable to crashes anymore?

Well Opera has many features clubbed together but leaving the main part (i.e. the browser part) others are not upto the mark.

So its better to have specialized software for each funtion. If IE stars supporting 'tabbed' browsing then no one can beat it.

Regerding Netscape only Linux users dabble with it.

Edited by RSumit

Hullo...

Rsumit, How can u leave out of picture the all-important issue of Security[/b} ??

ever heard of the saying 'a secure browser' ... ?

IE is integrated too closly with the windows OS, that any 'vulnerablity'(as MS calls'em) in IE lets the hacker or the malware or whatever access not only to ur browser but into the very heart of ur system

doesnt sound too good, does it? IE lets a lotta malware to be installed on ur pc behind ur back...yes,even without u clicking one of those "yes, i agree.install pls" buttons in the pop-ups

there r SO many anti-spware s/f designed to specifically patch over these 'vulnerabilties' such as 'browser hijacking' and then we got others designed to detect and/or remove bugs that might have installed thro IE previously...

yeah sure dude, like without IE, these companies will go broke...so pls do continue IE ;)

So its better to have specialized software for each funtion.

hmm..not sure on that one... i prefer "A SINGLE SAFE BROWSER" TO "IE+SEVEN OTHER SUPPORTING ANTISPYWARE APPZ"

Regerding Netscape only Linux users dabble with it.

jus for the record, Firefox is a Netscape derivative...granddaughter or something

keep surfing....

Heh! Cool down...

U seem 2 b one of those hardcore anti IEs.

Well I'm not saying that IEs perfect, there was a time when I was dead against IE (so to say even Windows) and Opera was the best browser. I even downloaded its Linux version on dial-up connection.

But then I got fed up with poor offline browsing, somewhat cramped page layout, lack of support for various scripts etc of opera and others and switched back to IE. Its because of this feature I use IE. So its my favourite (the topic of the poll) but may not the best. I just highlighted the features I like of IE.

When I say ''So its better to have specialized software for each function.'' ... I mean that its better to have a separate proper browser, a proper download manager, a proper email client. See urself, isn't Eudora and DAP better than inbuilt email-client and download-manager of Opera?

Regarding security.. off course IE is more venerable to spy wares etc but then even Windows is more venerable to viruses than Linux but we still use it. These spy wares do get in but as u've said there r softwares to kick them off. Install one and da job is done just like Antiviruses for windows (mind it viruses r much more DANGEROUS~~ so will u stop using windows).

On the whole just like windows IE gives a more pleasant browsing experience---online and offline. It doesn't spill the folders with component files when u save a webpage like Opera, nor comes up with cramped layouts etc.

Regarding Netscape and derivatives.. I've used netscape4 on Linux and later versions on Win but it is too heavy and it has this bad habit of the page loading first and then showing up unlike IE.

As the poll suggest, how many do really like original Netscape.

As of Mozilla firefox... it may be a much better derivative of the original Netscape but its not the original Netscape that I was ref. to in ''Regarding Netscape only Linux users dabble with it.'' So no question of Firefox is coming here. I cannot comment on it as I've not used it.

Favourite browsers depend on the priorities of the users. That doesn't mean security is not my priority but I know that with no top secret stuff on my hdd, no pin based monetary transactions, Norton internet security running in background what will these spywares hunt for. And I supposes no immediate enemy is running these stuffs.

Edited by RSumit

hmm..i guess i am Anti-Ie...didnt even realise till u pointed... ;)

and im guessin its not wrong to be one....

Point taken - the topic is 'favourite', not 'best' browser...

Anyways...my basic message is not even anti-IE...Its this - We do have a choice to choose our browser ....i've been sayin this since the start of this thread - i think IE coming in shipped free with our OS kinda stops us from lookin for a better alternatives

there is a big difference between using IE BECOZ we didnt try anything else and CHOOSING IE AFTER tryin out the available options

Its rather like the Veg/Non-veg thing...like, the diff between being a vegetarian BECOZ ur pa&grandpa never ate meat and CHOOSING to be a vegetarian AFTER having tasted chicken in ur mouth...i personaly feel the second way of being a vegetarian has more meaning to it...coz its a consious choice we have made...

U KNOW WHAT IM SAYIN ?

i can appreciate the difference and i respect ur choice buddy...keep browsin

peace

ps:

so rEdshiFt, You might consider upgrading.

thanx for the tip pretender...i am using PR1.0

hi Redshift,

i think i'm the second group of vegetarian.

as u'v said it peace now.

Anyways, influenced by posts here i've downloaded Firefox.

Notice the difference in the two cases with Chirag's and Ashokjp's "level"???

I think u r talking about the level bars!

yah! IE shows the total bars in only one line but firefox shows them in two lines.

that's all!

So what?

No problem!

yah! of course

well actually i disabled animate images option in IE, so i didnt know that some members r using animated avtars in our forum.

when i firstly used firefox i saw animated avtars and i found it very nice.

is there a specific setting to enable/disable animations in firefox?

i only see static avatars...no animation :clap:

I think some extensions (u've downloaded) r interrupting the animations!

u should uninstall the extensions that might be cauzing no animations.

cauz i didnt find any option in firefox's settings for disabling animations.

so try to uninstall extensions.

It takes some time with firefox to appreciate its speed.

I use IE now only for pages which contain excessive coding errors.

its a proven fact that IE is less prone to crashes when rendering pages with excessive errors.

Also IE has enabled me to login into orkut (the slowest site on the net), when firefox repeatedly gave me timeouts.

I am still not recommending IE though. Use it only for updating windows and visiting pages which are IE-centric.

hi,

I've recently downloaded Firefox using it 4 the first time.

The Quick Links (dropdown menu) in RIM website is not working in firefox, on clicking the dropdown button the menu drops down but on clicking the options in the menu nothing happens altough its allright in IE.

Please help :(

RIM website is optimized for Internet Explorer.

It may not work perfectly on Firefox

hope u like the xperience sumit...

u talkin about relianceinfo.com or rimweb.com? ... its not the case of Firefox blocking a new window to pop-up right...? coz thats easy to fix...

btw, has anyone tried downgrading from pr1 to 0.93 ? ...like i tried and it doesnt work !!

GIVES ME SOME STRANGE ERROR....IS IT JUST ME OR WHAT??

common rEdshiFt!

How can u downgrade any s/w.

I think its not possible.

u cant downgrade from XP to 98, same u cant downgrade from pr1 to 0.93.

only way is uninstall pr1 completely and then install 0.93 version.

u talkin about relianceinfo.com or rimweb.com? ... its not the case of Firefox blocking a new window to pop-up right...? coz thats easy to fix...

He is talking about relianceinfo.com!

There is a dropdown menu, named "Quick Links" in website

if u select anyone from the list, doesnt happen?

it happened with me too.