Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kalpeshaparmar

BlackBerry 9800 Torch (GSM) launched in US

Source

Source 2

BlackBerry announced their third touch-operated and very first slider handset. The BlackBerry Torch 9800 is also the first device to be running the BlackBerry OS 6, which is said to be the next big thing in the corporate world.

BlackBerry Torch brings in a full QWERTY keyboard and a 3.2" HVGA+ (480 x 360 pixels) display in an acceptably thicl 14.6mm body. The tri-band 3G handset packs Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth and GPS, making up for an excellent all-round connectivity.

The 5 megapixel autofocus snapper on the BlackBerry Torch 9800 back is capable of recording videos up to VGA resolution. There is 512 MB of operating memory on board, while the storage capacity is 4GB, expandable by up to 32GB through the microSD card slot. There will also be a 4GB card included in every retail package.

The BlackBerry Torch 9800 will be offered exclusively (at least in the US) to AT&T customers, starting from 12 August. It will cost a cent short of 200 bucks after a two-year contract.

Full Features:

1)Elegant styling, measuring approx. 4.4" (5.8" open) x 2.4" x .57" and weighing 5.68 ounces

2)3.2" 360x480 capacitive touch screen display

3)35 key full QWERTY backlit slide-out keyboard, designed to feel optimally balanced when opened for typing

4)Optical trackpad that makes navigation fast and smooth

5)Powerful 624 Mhz processor with 512 MB Flash memory

6)4 GB built-in memory storage plus a microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 32 GB cards; a 4 GB card is included giving users 8 GB of storage out-of-the-box

7)5 MP camera with flash, continuous auto focus, image stabilization, scene modes, geo-tagging and zoom, as well as video recording at up to 640x480 resolution

8)Built-in GPS for location-based applications and geo-tagging

Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g/n); qualifying smartphone customers can enjoy seamless connectivity to over

9)3.5mm stereo headset jack

10)New BlackBerry® Desktop Software 6 with integrated media sync for easily syncing music, photos and videos**. It also includes Wi-Fi Music Sync, a unique feature that allows users to view their entire iTunes® or Windows Media® Player music libraries from their BlackBerry smartphone, create and edit playlists as well as select music for download. When in range of their home Wi-Fi network (or via USB), the changes are synced with iTunes or Windows Media Player and the songs are automatically downloaded to the smartphone

11)Removable, rechargeable 1300 mAhr battery that provides approximately 5.8 hours of talk time on 3G networks or 30 hours of audio playback or 6 hours of video playback

Edited by kalpeshaparmar

The specs seem nice... just have to look at the new OS 6... lets see how it performs... Also, the sliders on smartphones are bad by many manufacturers... lets hope RIM has used some good quality of sliders in their new offings...

initial impressions suggest that its very well built and slider also is solid

but then it doesnt have enough to take on android

it isnt going to save blackberry , bb users will swicth to android

^ prevailing trend in the US... lateral shifting towards android and iphone by virtually 50%

as abu dhabi band bb services some more country will do the same and then there is no use to use bb.

but one thing is sure obody can touch build quality of bb

my handset fall so many time but still going good.

BB guys are copying MY PALM PRE. Copy cats.crying.gif

^ Great pics & review on above crackberry link.

I think I'll really like this handset - at least it will have MUCH better build quality than palm pre, though it won't be able to match the lovely WebOS. Will RIM launch a CDMA version soon ?

@Arun its a really mega mega review !

@Ami Surely it will come in CDMA , Sprint or verizon must be eying this phone for their bb plan customers. but dont dream about R-CDMA  :wacko:

Phone and specs looks good.. But any special reason behind the naming of this phone as "TORCH"??? :confuse:

^^^

the must have thought that touch will show them the way to leading the market share !  :Contento:

its having only 624Mhz processor, cant say how fast this phone can operate. now a days htc like companies are using 1ghz and talking about dual core . so wait and watch how this OS 6 is.

I dont think only processor speed is benchmark for OS speed. 600 Mhz is pretty fast if OS is not burdened with backward compatibility issues.

Whatever.. this is my next BB for sure.. i still feel BBs are very easy to use thn Androids and other OSs...

and just because of its easy UI and natural Corporate adoption BBs will be in business in decades to come..

Its not going palms way.. that's nothing but a US lobbying to dominate smart phones world.. Remember BB is only famous OS which not belong to US after dying Finnish Nokias Symbian now.. (Ganda hai par dhanda hai ye..) :P

though i agree that bb has that ease of use and easy setting up all accounts

but still bb is doomed and even bb torch cannot save them

and that good its happening to them

without competition monopoly grows

and thats what helped bb to reap people with BIS

i mean common why should one have to suscribe to BIS to use data services ( its hacked now)

Their phones are buggy if u put too much stress on them

os 5 also didnt improve anything except for fancy gui

bb is old , they need to rewrite their OS write from scratch and also implement better hardware to use better os

Android is now offering same push services with a better os and a lot better hardware

and i mean it

i have seen storm 2 and 9700 os **** big time in front of android , there is just no match

BB , u need to be reborn , rejuvination wont help at all

I agree with Dr as i have used BB8830, aswell as tour but Andoid i much over BB

only thing i like about BB is qwerty keyboard

& group sms

If any one is talking about comparison of RIM, Android, WM and Symbian. One must keep in mind that newer OS like android and MAC OSX do not have baggage of past. Hence they perform better. I am sure in next 2-3 years android too will have same issue like WM, RIM and Symbian.

BB builds best hardware - next to iphones. OS is slick and simple but not as peppy as Mac OSX and Android.

Android support only Gmail, yahoo or few free mail service providers, not all corporate mails or not all mail servers, Here blackberry wins any day. Only Nokia messaging could be compared with BB as on now - when variety of mail servies are taken in to consideration.

BB, QWERTY are the best and if KB is of right width its fun to use. Landscape KB are not as convenient as Portrait. I am sure BB has done good brain storming in choosing Portrait KB.

BBs will feel heat when portrait KB devices start hitting with androids packed in it...

though connectivity and easy to use still rocks for BBs.. ( Remember not all buyer are smart enough to handle smart phones such as Plam WebOS and Androids)

even in America they making Nokia Twist and KIMs and all for blonds :D

Saw couple of babes showing off Micromax qwerty device in Globus last evening.. so u can imagine.. there's buyer for everything.. and i mean it..

BB has surely got his own fame,

Now with headline evryday on newspaper

Its getting easy brand recognition

i thought this topic was for 9800 torch and not BB vs Android . ( he he ) ..

wats the price or expected price of BB torch

Bad News For RIM: Only 150,000 Torches Sold At Launch

blakto.jpg

:previous: I love the screen of the Torch which you have posted... lol... Bhik maang rahe hain RIM humse (customers)...

Blackberry have apparently announced the Torch (9800?)on OS 6. This is a touch phone with a slide out keyboard (full QWERTY). There is a review in the latest T3 as well. There is even a report that a cracked Torch is available for Rs.34,000.

Any news/rumours about its CDMA version.

Even I am waiting for some news about their CDMA version. Should definitely be launched soon. There's an existing rimweb thread here

Processor speed may be low but then the OS should be lean and mean. See Linux run rings around Windows even if running on so called obsolete computers.