Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
amitpagarwal

Users Of Freedom Plan - Read This

Reliance is promising 1GB of data transfer in Freedom plan.

They are actually misleading you - they just provide 1000 MB of data transfer though 1 GB means 1024 MB.

Additional 24 MB translates to Rs 120 as each MB costs 5 bucks.

Anyone planning to sue them ??

URL dropping not allowed

Edited by Arun

Reliance is promising 1GB of data transfer in Freedom plan.

They are actually misleading you - they just provide 1000 MB of data transfer though 1 GB means 1024 MB.

Additional 24 MB translates to Rs 120 as each MB costs 5 bucks.

Anyone planning to sue them ??

24695[/snapback]

I am the user of Freedom Plan. I have yet not received the first bill of RConnect

Freedom Plan. I will confirm once I receive the bill.

Edited by Arun

In most areas 1gb is considered as 1000mb.

Guess in gmail & all also its the same.. check out :P

In most areas 1gb is considered as 1000mb. Guess in gmail & all also its the same.. check out :P

But technically 1 GB is eq. to 1024 MB and not 1000 MB

Edited by Arun

24715[/snapback]

Ever bought a HDD?

For HDD manufacturers 1GB = 1000000000 B and not even 1000MB, you should thank someone somewhere that atleast Reliance considers 1GB=1000MB :P

I think for this we must refer some standar computer dictonary or something like that, but i think 1db is definately 1024 mb , regarding gmail etc if they r providing 1000mb then its not fair but as its free u need not create a chaos but in this case we r paying and a loss of 24mb * 12 months means a lot. In my case though i will stick to use only 900mbs so as not to get charged but if anytime i m charged for those 24mb i will not pay. going to court i dont find practical from my side but i will let them go to court. I'm sure i will win because in india still a bcom student as well as a ca stundent learns that 1gb means 1024mb. as do u think the education department is learning wrong things? so its a matter of deabte. once again i think for some people having diff standard computer industry as a whole cannot change its standards and 1024mb hs to be 1gb.

They can define 1GB however they want. I bought a 120GB samsung SATA HD. It says 120GB but I actually have a 114GB HD :P Its because samsung has defined 120GB in a different manner. As long as they define what 1 GB is they can get away with anything :)

There are 2 definitions of MB/GB etc. One for memory (RAM) and the other for storage (hard disks, floppy disks etc).

For memory - 1 MB = 1024 kb and so on.

For HDD/FDD 1MB = 1000 kb (take the eg of the 1.44 MB floppy)

Your "case" doesnt stand a chance because I GB = 1024 MB stands true only for memory like RAM etc.

And your hdd isnt of smaller capacity... its just that system needs to occupy some space for the bootsector, backup data, filesystem data etc.

Mind explaining me where did you get this "differential" information?

1KB = 1024B

1MB = 1024KB

1GB = 1024MB

It has always been that way for both primary(RAM) and secondary(HDD) memory :D

I think what you are referring to is a new standard. KiBi, MiBi, GiBi. Some years ago they changed the industry standard. This is evident only in HDDs not in other computer memory. For example, a 160GB(Gigabyte) harddisk actually has a storage space of 149.01GB. How? Heres the explanation:

1 K in computer "mathematics" is 1024Bytes while "k"(notice the case) in metric system is 1000 units.

So the HDD manufacturers actually define their harddisk size on the basis of the following conversions...

1kB = 1000Bytes

1MB = 1000kB

1GB = 1000MB

So their 1GB is actually 1000 * 1000 * 1000Bytes :rolleyes: The older ones were(in the renamed units):

1KiBi = 1024B

1MiBi = 1024KiBi

1GiBi = 1024MiBi

I got a "keep it up" note form chirag for my active participation from Chirag. But this is possible only becuase if RIM Freedom Plan. I have a laptop which i move betwen home and my shop. Now if i go for mtnl internet i used to worry about my money as it was charged on minutes and if i go for cable modem i need to take it at 2 places. In this plan as my mobile is with me i dont worry about place i surf and as it doesnt charge me on minutes i can read all posts with ease and reply them. Ya the main thing is i love this forum which tends me to use 75% of my time of internet on this forum. RIM web is the best forum i have seen and i m proud to be a part of it.

I've been studying Computer Science Engineering for 3years now. For us, the proverbial book says it very clearly '1GB=1024MB'

Whether its RAM or Hard Disk or Floppy Disk, increments are always in terms of 1024, which is 2 raised to the power 10.

Its basic computing. Whether its a law or not, remains to be seen, though my opinion is the courts will see 1GB=1024MB.

Dear friends,

The confusion about how much bytes would be in a MB or GB is due to number system. Natively computer uses binary number system so

1 MB = 1,048,576 bytes,

but if you are using the decimal number system then things get changed, now

1 MB = 1,000,000 bytes.

Hard disk manufacturers are using decimal number system when stating there disk capacity, now if reliance is also using the decimal number system then

1 GB = 1,000,000,000 Bytes (decimal system)

instead of

1 GB = 1,073,741,824 Bytes.

So it all depends upon the color of you spec through which you are peeping in :-).

For further queries you can visit these links.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/15,18.html

http://www.pcguide.com/intro/fun/bindec-c.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/...9/19/55024.aspx

http://kb.indiana.edu/data/ackw.html?cust=5834690.1702.30

Right through out my studies I have heard that 1 GB = 1024 MB....

Perhaps Reliance makes their own Rulez

Seem to be real intresting links decodecz... :quest:

I think this mess can be avoided if the companies are just specify how they are defining the units ...simple!

Theriotically 1GB=1024 MB, infact in US ppl are going to sue hardisk manifactures to stop this misleading statement. An 80GB harddisk is around only 76GB, now the posint is that, according to Computer Software terminology 1GB = 1000 MB, but the computer, while calculating in binary mode, accepts 1MB=1024+- Kb. So, it's a no point debate.

Edited by rahuldevnath

guys i just called reliance customer care the rconnect dept.They told me Reliance cannot define Scientific terms in a new way so 1Gb=1024 Mb.

No fake .............. It's true

cant trust the cust. care guys.

they dont know anything :lol:

guys i just called reliance customer care the rconnect dept.They told me Reliance cannot define Scientific terms in a new way so 1Gb=1024 Mb.

No fake .............. It's true

26543[/snapback]

Dear orhb,

I guess S.I unit system is very scientific, and we already had a pretty much discussion on it.

1GB == 1024MB (binary number system)

1GB == 1000MB (decimal number system)

Cheers...........

Just email the chairman's office asking the definition of 1GB by reliance and if you get the same reply then you have WRITTEN proof :D

26551[/snapback]

Dear dacodecz

i am sure they re using

1GB == 1024MB (binary number system)

After All we all will get a clear image after getting the first Bill..... :clap:

24715[/snapback]

Ever bought a HDD?

For HDD manufacturers 1GB = 1000000000 B and not even 1000MB, you should thank someone somewhere that atleast Reliance considers 1GB=1000MB :(

24718[/snapback]

Seagate is the only HDD manufacturer who thinks 1 GB is = 1000 MB.

All the other HDD's come in proper 1024 capacities.

24715[/snapback]

Ever bought a HDD?

For HDD manufacturers 1GB = 1000000000 B and not even 1000MB, you should thank someone somewhere that atleast Reliance considers 1GB=1000MB :(

24718[/snapback]

Seagate is the only HDD manufacturer who thinks 1 GB is = 1000 MB.

All the other HDD's come in proper 1024 capacities.

26984[/snapback]

I have a Seagate, a Samsung, an IBM and a Maxtor HDD on my comp and all seem to follow 1GB=1000MB to me. If they have changed the classifications ince I purchased these HDDs then that would be my ignorance :-)