Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Honest

Please Suggest A Birthday Gift For My Son

Hi friends, kindly suggest a birthday gift for my 14yrs old son studying in 8th Standard.

He is asking for X-Box. But me and my wife don't want to gift X-box, as he already have PSP and addicted to it. And clear No-No to mobiles also. He already have Nokia 5233 and my wife is already angry seeing his mobile usage. All the time he used to text / call his friends and chats on E-buddy all the day.

Ab agar naya mobile dila diya toh meri biwi ghar ke saarey kapde mujhse he dhulwayegi. :threatenlumber::bash:

Toh bhai log, X-Box, PSP and Mobile ko NO-NO.

Recommend something innovative and useful for his agegroup. :)

Budget around 5000/- or may be 6000/-

Matel robot making kits. I have no links. Right now to give. But go to matel toys site and check. Also mechanos. I have played with this a lot.

Edited by kshah
  • Like 1

Why don't you give him a yearly membership in a good swimming pool n gym. He will have a good body then age is coming, it's a plus to see chick in a pool so he will be regular also. Aap bhabhi ki pitai se Bach jaoge,

6ee2ff92-1069-314f.jpg

And at times you can also en-cash it by going yourself.

You can also give him a mountain cycle from firefox or LA sovereign or BSA

Have a blast .....

• Like 2

Kamal bhai, teens experience a wide range of interests during the teen years, making it difficult to navigate the whole gift giving situation. Most of the time these interests are fickle so we have to foresee.

Why not take him outside for a short tour and spend some quality family time with him :) Amusement parks will be a good idea, he will cherish it. Alternatively,

Nikon-CoolPix-S500-Camera.jpg

Instill photography as a hobby

:)

ipod_nano.jpg

29a--running_shoes(1).png

pet-dog-juiny-10.jpg

If he like pets!

806904196.png

Gifting a 14 year old money, however tempting it may be, is not advisable as it is likely to be squandered frivolously and also it lacks the "personalized" touch. Take some time and think out of the box!

Hope this helps! Happy Hunting! :)

• Like 2

Hope, Kamal Bhai's search is over after good suggestions received.

Health gears are really good.

I liked Karthik's suggestion on pets, so a +1 for him.

• Like 1

Stretch you budget and get him a netbook; I recently saw some links for as low as 10K from Acer.... but supervision to tumko karni padegi; nahi to kahi vo bhi, baap ki tarah..............

• Like 1

if he is interested in any sports, then new kit or something..

• Like 1

I would second Genius's suggestion of swimming pool membership or good bike. Or if that seem unexciting, maybe admission to the best karate/taikwondo/judo course in your town.

Kids mostly miss out on the physical things these days, other digital and entertainment things they invariably pick up due to their parents lifestyles and likings.

It is also essential to give them some of your time when ever they are doing physical things as that is a big motivation for them when parents are with them & encouraging them.

My daughters can cycle for a few hours if i am with her, but will do it for 10 min if she's with friends or alone.

But, if you still want something digital maybe a laptop with a copy of visual basic installed and some cool sample vb games programs which you can show and explain to him so that he can pick up some programming & logical thinking skills. Maybe even simple Basic like gwbasic etc to start off.

Or if he's interested in electronics then some good circuits book along with components etc for a few exciting projects.

Or maybe a RC Helicopter (or plane if your budget is higher and you have some space to let it take off and land) - takes quite a lot of skill to learn to keep chopper/plane stable and steer it where you want. Again you'll have to spend some time on it with him.

• Like 1

Gift Him A "Cycle"

IT will helpful for him.....

• Like 1

Perhaps gym or subscription to some sport activity is best idea. These days physical activity is next to zero due to so many reasons.

• Like 1

Kamal bhai, teens experience a wide range of interests during the teen years, making it difficult to navigate the whole gift giving situation. Most of the time these interests are fickle so we have to foresee.

Very True...

Karthik's suggestion for a Pet is Very Good...A child understands many emotions of Selflessness, Compassion, Loyalty, Unconditional Love, Caring and Mercy for a world beyond humans through a Pet in maturing years...

What differentiates today's Kid from our generation is that they have no time to Read Good Print Books today because of the so called connected world of Chats, Buzz, Facebook and above all Google search...Most of the social networking activities a child does now a days has One Day Value...No Intellectual Depth OR acquiring Real Knowledge...

In that sense, Gifting a Child something which will motivate him to read Good OLD physical print books can work wonders for overall mental development...

A Good Poetry book...So he knows the expression of varied emotions...

A Good Science book...So he knows answers to unknowns and curiousity is aroused...

A Good History book...So real histroy is known...And not from 2-3 line opinionated, ill-informed comments online

And Thousand other things...Basically teaching him How to Fish rather than Gifting a Fish

Good reading habit is the best thing for Child's overall mental development, open up his mind, explore the possibilities...

Don't Know if you are a Gujarati, Still Two Suggestions...

1. Get him "SAFARI" Monthly Science Magazine Subscription...English Version also available...The Best...Reading since last 30 years...

2. R.R. Sheth & Co. Publishers in Mumbai has Two Schemes for Books,

#Pay Rs 1,000 One Time and Get Rs 200 worth of books free Every Year Life Long

#Pay Rs 5,000 One Time and Get Rs 1,000 worth of books free Every Year Life Long

Though they are primarily into Gujarati Publishing, Good selection of English books also available...

• Like 1

A bicycle or any gym/sports club membership is possibly the best idea for that age. You can also gift him a guitar or membership to guitar/piano lessons if he likes music.

If these are not feasible then give ipod shuffle.

Computers etc. will only make him stay indoors and also distract from studies.

• Like 1

gifting a teenager has to be very thoughful. It has to be the in thing as well as should not feel preachy.

A nouvelty item that also has some purpose.. just let it hang in for c couple of days and you will certainly find it.

• Like 1

+1 to you all for your valuable suggestions my dear friends. :)

You all have suggested great gifting ideas and I'm very very thankful for the same.

Rajan Bhai, mai thak chuka hoon usko samjha samjha ke....ke kuch achhi books padha karo. Magar woh kehta hai pahle IPAD dilaa doh fir sab E-BOOKS, PDF format mein padhunga. Rimweb effect....LOL. :)

He's some techie type of a child. Chotey Motey kaarnaame karta rehta hai, computer khol ke and he's having a great knowledge about Symbian Applications too......Now a days, he is much more interested in Android. But we are not going to gift him a mobile upto next 2 years. :)

We already have Digicam, so gifting another digicam seems not to be a good option. He no more interested in Cycling too. :(

Dhiraj Brother, yes Netbook could be considered. But supervision ka maamla khatarnaak hai bhai. :Decepcionado:

Being a Music Lover myself..... I done my best that he should learn atleast Guitar / Organ (Casio)..... But he shows no interest in learning music and I never forced him.

In all, I think that now a days children rarely indulge in Physical Activities, so gifting him yearly subscription to Gym could be one good option.

But then some of my friends says GYM is not recommended for this age group. Any comments on it dear friends ?

His birthday is falling in the last week of January. So if anyone has more ideas for this Techie Child then it will be appreciated. :)

How about this one for your Tech Inclined Boy...

A28IT_G-sensorweb.gif

ARCHOS 28 Internet Tablet Only For $ 99 Link https://store.archos...let-p-5002.html

Why...

Android 2.2 Froyo

ARM Cortex A8, 800 Mhz Processor

Video Codec Support AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, MKV, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, WMV

Audio Support MP3 CBR & VBR, WMA, WMA-Pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM), AAC, AAC+ 5.13, OGG Vorbis, FLAC

Internal: 4 or 8 GB flash memory

WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth connectivity

USB 2.0 Host

Battery life

• Music playback time5: up to 16 hours

• Video playback time5: up to 4 hours

• Web surfing5: up to 6 hours

Archos is renowned for their players, So audio, video playback is a breeze..

Tablet...Android...Video Player...Music Player...Internet Browsing..All rolled into one and within Budget...

• Like 1

For physical exercise,

I would recommend SWIMMING.

Bcoz it is for all age group (year 3-100).

This will help him to get chance to visit outside world , also get interaction with people of various group,

If u give more Techie gift, then his other area which need to developed will not be developed.

Area benefited are

Going out to a place which is not school/playground still compulsory. and fun loving

Meeting with many people

Interacting with friends/others.

Keeps away from technical stuffs.

Building more better physical health.

And most importantly, Under supervision of trainer( NO TENSION JOB FOR PARENTS).

• Like 1

+1 to you both Rajan Brother and Saket Bhai for your valuable suggestions. :)

Rajan Bhai, I think my wife will not agree for this too. As he already addicted to Mobile and PSP, so another Multipurpose Electronic Gadget is nowhere in our list. :)

Saket Brother, my son is a Great Swimmer. As we put him into swimming classes when he was just 8 years old. :) He continued swimming upto the age of 12. Ek baar toh mai bhi dekh ke darr gaya tha jis tarah se usne Back Dive ki thi. :)

Last year he was very curious to join a GYM. But some of my friends, told that GYM is not recommended for this agegroup.

Asking again dear friends, is GYM recommended for this agegroup or not ?

• Like 1

Arre, how did i miss this thread..

Gym for teenage boys may always be a temptation due to various reasons but not advised until 18+

If he can stick to Cardio-Vascular & free hand exercises then good, but its still risky.

Reason is, looking at others he will start doing all kinds of weight lifting (including overhead) which may stunt his height..

If weights are very heavy, it affects the reproductive organ without proper gear.. Genius can emphasize on this.

I back the Cycle idea.. a good Firefox Cycle with proper gear.

Abhi to poore Hindustan mein discount wagera chal raha hai to lekar rakh lo advance mein..

And Wishing him Happy BDay in advance although there are 2 more weeks to go..

• Like 1

Thanks Jayanth for your valuable suggestion. +1 )

Ya, that was the reason my other friends told me that weight lifting etc is not suitable for teenagers and should be avoided upto the age of 18.

I'm too waiting for Genius suggestion on this. GENIUS bhau.....kahaan ho ???

Will put Firefox Cycle too in the list. :)

Kamal bhai some gyms will indeed take him at the age of 14 years. He will be put on cardiovascular exercises programme and no weight lifting. Supervision by a instructor is essential here.

It is advisable to get him to gym by 16 years or older. In the mean time you can engage him with

badminton.gif

badminton

30nadal-600.jpg

tennis

which will keep him brisk and healthy :)

• Like 1

I always gift the children BOOKS for their birthdays. Depending upon the child age and interest I select the books.

Initially even if I had selected the wrong book, the child will open up and reveal its interest.

If the child gets into reading habits, that is the best thing to happen to a child.

Initially my son was not interested in books, but was interested in cars and bike. So I first bought him car magazine and he became excited. Now he has slowly started to read other books also.

So my suggestion is BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

• Like 1

Gym i snot advisable. even instructors at gym recommend to weights after some time and i have experienced this myself.

Kamal, you have only couple of options, books or some sort of sports. its sad that now a days kids, any age are not interested in any board games like monopoly and others..

• Like 1

Kamalbhai, gift him a good cycle, and a camera. Both will cost in total around 6k ( talking about a normal cycle and budget camera, not the high fundu cycles). Gym is not advisable. Swimming may get too repetitive. Besides, swimming at this age may make him grow very tall very fast.

My vote is for cycle + cam.

EDIT: On lighter note, gift him a brother/sister next year :D start planning now only, so by next Jan you will have the gift ready! (j/k, don't take it in bad way)

Edited by ani_meher
  • Like 1

Kamal Ji - here i am back from mumbai - i had been for Mumbai Marathon 2011 for my 21km run - finally completed it i was able to read post but can not reply it.

@ ACS n csmart :: :GirandoOjos: let me clear this out to you first height is genetically determined and body is not a spring or elastic or rubber that will stretch or shrink ---- :Equivocado:child will not attain height is the 2nd most common myth after they say cling from a rod if you wanna grow height (being first) ---- how funny as if there is some elastic; there is no scientific evidence supporting these so i wont believe it - i feel children @ there young age should be encouraged for physical activity and GYM - dose not mean weights - many parents surrounded by such myths will stop there children from having good fit body - SEARCH net read something scientific and then mark opinion.

NOte: Height and length doesn't matter in there respective places - LOL

@ Kamal Ji - I strongly feel go for it his height wont get affected i guarantee that and if it does he will have a great body for 2" less - how tall is sachin tendulkar BTW and how tall was maradona or Sir Donald Bradman or Sir Sunil Gavaskar

@ his age 14 first thing that goes if Flexibility so give him a Gym with a yoga class he can stay away from weights if he wants to as it is Muscle growth wont me much as there is low level of Testosterone - a male hormone. he can do Aerobics till then,

Talwarkar is a good option - and if you can go for Fitness first its heaven (its in mall on link road andheri to malad)

@ friends forgive me if i am being rude but - STOP POSTING LATE @ NIGHTS AND SLEEP INSTEAD

GEt back to me

you have only one body to live with .............

hot-sexy-yoga-poses-5.jpg

Edited by Genius
  • Like 2