Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
rajanmehta

Nexus 4 - The Next Google Flagship Phone is Official

Nexus 4 - The Next Google Flagship Phone is Official

Google has officially announced the Nexus 4, the latest phone in nexus line of android devices. It's built by LG.

lg-nexus-4-final.jpeg

The Specs:

1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor

Android 4.2, Jelly Bean

3G (WCDMA), HSPA+

4.7-inch WXGA True HD IPS Plus 1280x768p display with 320PPI & Zerogap Touch technology

8GB / 16GB internal storage

2GB RAM

8.0MP rear camera | 1.3MP HD front camera

2,100mAh Li-Polymer (embedded battery) with Talk time: 15.3 hours / Standby: 390 hours

Wireless charging with a new accessory ORB

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, NFC, Bluetooth

Corning Gorila Glass 2

Back is made of glass — etched, layered glass that sparkles with a strange, almost holographic depth.

133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm | Weight: 139g

Availability:

Will be available in US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and Australia starting November 13th.

Pricing: (Awesome is the word!)

8GB Version For US $299

16GB Version For US $349

• Like 7

Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Android 4.2: An Exclusive First Look From inside Google HQ - VIDEO

Android 4.2 - A new flavor of Jelly Bean - What's NEW

Amazing Photo Sphere camera

Up, down and all around you, it’s like no camera you’ve ever seen. With Android 4.2, snap pictures in every direction that come together into incredible, immersive photo spheres that put you right inside the scene. View your photo spheres right on your phone, share them on Google+ with your friends and family, or even add them to Google Maps for the world to see.

Explore incredible photo spheres from photographers around the world.

panorama.png

A smarter keyboard, now with Gesture Typing

Writing messages on the go is easier than ever with Gesture Typing – just glide your finger over the letters you want to type, and lift after each word. You don’t have to worry about spaces because they’re added automatically for you.

The keyboard can anticipate and predict the next word, so you can finish entire sentences just by selecting suggested words. Power through your messages like never before.

Android's dictionaries are now more accurate and relevant. With improved text-to-speech capabilities, voice typing on Android is even better. It works even when you don't have a data connection, so you can type with your voice everywhere you go.

gesture-typing.png

One tablet, many users.

It’s your fully customized tablet. And theirs, too. With support for multiple users, you can give each person their own space. Everyone can have their own homescreen, background, widgets, apps and games – even individual high scores and levels! And since Android is built with multitasking at its core, it’s a snap to switch between users – no need to log in and out. Available only on tablets.

multi-user.png

Share what’s on your phone on the big screen.

Android 4.2 allows devices to enable wireless display. You can share movies, YouTube videos, and anything that’s on your screen on an HDTV. Just connect a wireless display adapter to any HDMI-enabled TV to mirror what’s on your screen quickly and easily.

tv_connect.png

Daydream

Daydream lets your Android device display useful and delightful information when idle or docked. Show off your photo albums, get the latest news from Google Currents, and more.

daydream.png

Expandable, actionable notifications.

Android has always put you in control when it comes to staying notified and connected. Just swipe down from the top of the screen to see all your notifications in one place. Late for a meeting or missed a call? Take action in an instant directly from the notifications shade.

notifications.png

Live in the Now.

Google Now brings you the information you need, when and where you need it, before you even ask. Google Now tells you today's weather before you start your day, or when the next train will arrive as you’re standing on the platform. With the latest version, you can see popular photo spots nearby, track packages easily, get information about upcoming movies, and much more.

See what’s new in Google Now.

googlenow.png

A new look for Google Search.

It's easier than ever to quickly get answers, explore, and browse search results. Android also lets you search the web with your voice, and it's convenient for getting quick answers on the fly. It speaks back to you and is powered by the Knowledge Graph, bringing you a precise answer if it knows it, and precisely ranked search results, so you can always find out more.

• Like 4

ThanX Rajan ji for the sharing. Nice video. Egarly wating for Nexus 10.

Any idea about its availability and cost. Yes in google store.:rolleyes:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Specs seem too good & promising. Price is amazing. Should kill S3 in no time if its good.

Usually Nexus phones are killed by Manufacturers specially Samsung. Happened in case of Nexus S & Galaxy Nexus. Lets see what LG has done to this Nexus.

Specs are good, but I will skip Nexus4 this year... Not because of LG, NOT because of Storage Capacity, but due to its NON-removable battery.. The only phone in this world, who has the right to have non-removable battery is RazrMAXX/HD and no one else, imho...

• Like 1

^

Oh, not even iPhones, Kanaga?

Now we even have nexus 10 , a high resolution and high specs tablet manufactured by Samsung again.

It's like repeating recent history of nexus 7 success.

To improve nexus 7 they have added factory unlocked gsm model too.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Ok.. I forgot to mention, toy phones are also excluded... The phones should either be sooo serious with battery life like RazrMAXX/HD or just should be a play thing like one below to have non-removable battery imho...

bte-569766-550.jpg

Edited by KanagaDeepan
  • Like 1

Seems to be really power packed piece. 320ppi shud b good on ips display and the battery too seems good. Above all, the pricing is for sure gonna kill s3 in no time....

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Good news for GSM users as LG has already confirmed it's bringing this to india by November end. (An LG Senior india official confirmed that even before official launch). Will have to see if it's priced just as good as the Play Store pricing.

Bad news for CDMA users is that google is not making any LTE version and has ruled out (Atleast for now) US CDMA carrier versions either on Sprint/Verizon. So goodbye to any hope of us CDMA users to get this beauty on Reliance.

This will kill LG in terms of operating costs - they must be selling to Google at manufacturing cost or less - the specs are similar to Optimus G which retails for $200 more, so this phone will not only undercut Galaxy line of phones but also LG Optimus line. For Google it does not matter as they will recover the costs from the ecosystem i.e. play store etc. but for LG this makes very little business sense. Only positive is brand recognition of a nexus range.

Please excuse typos and brevity, sent while mobile.

The main positive point for LG here is people will get some new hope for LG reg Android updates for its phones and as a result ---> More sale of LG Android phones... So a small sacrifice of profit in making LG Nexus-4, brings more and more sweet fruit for them in the long run... Seems like a great business sense, imho - Since LG has very bad reputation reg Android upgrades for their old phones...

• Like 1

Updates for nexus are a completely different thing than updates for carrier branded phones. For nexus the updates are managed by Google while for carrier branded it is responsibility of OEM and carrier. So nexus 4 does little to reduce the perception that LG is poor at software updates. My concern is LG is sacrificing its top end phone Optimus G due to nexus 4 - optimus g is priced at $200 with contract, compared to nexus which is $299 without contract direct from Google. We will see if this is good business from LG but my hunch is they have made a mistake here, what they will gain in brand value is lost in operating revenue.

Please excuse typos and brevity, sent while mobile.

As I said earlier, Manufactures don't build Nexus as they build their own Phone. Example Samsung - Fascinate & Nexus S 4G or S2 & Galaxy Nexus.

Thats how they vary & match price

• Like 1

hoping it`ll come @ a similar price point to india...

My concern is LG is sacrificing its top end phone Optimus G due to nexus 4 - optimus g is priced at $200 with contract, compared to nexus which is $299 without contract direct from Google. We will see if this is good business from LG but my hunch is they have made a mistake here, what they will gain in brand value is lost in operating revenue.

My friend, for you, me, and few customers with good knowledge about Android ---> the 299$ NO contract Nexus_4 with unlockable (with single command) bootloader >> 199$ Contract Optimus G with LOCKED Encrypted Bootloader... But for the rest of world, 199$ Optimus-G >>> 299$-off-contract Nexus4.. Further reasons like, the lack of SD slot or LTE will make them avoid Nexus 4.. Those people will select Optimus G with hope that since now LG is a Nexus phone maker, they may bring update to their current phones faster.. By that way, LG will make more money.. Earlier, people who prefer LTE + cardslot + Faster Android update, choose Sammy or HTC and NOT LG.. Now they will surely look the options from LG, all due to its recent NexusParty participation.

This is what happened to ASUS.. LINK HERE.. They have record sales of Nexus 7 and also much better than expected sales for PadFone series and Transformer series (MORE Profit than Nexus 7)

This is the case for developed countries..

Simply,

Sales of OptimusG without LG being Nexus4Maker should be way less than Sales of OptimusG with LG being Nexus4Maker, imho..

See now, LG India is eager to launch Nexus 4 in India.. Till now in India, LG has very very little sales for higher end phones when comparing Sammy, SONY, even NOKIA ;p With the NOT so profitable Nexus-4, LG can atleast gain a small/respectable market share in price-conscious Indian market. {See, Sammy avoided GNexus to reach India, since it will cannibalize its S3 sales and Sammy already has a great market share in India wrt very high end handsets}

So even though LG get almost NIL margin in sale of one product, they get BOOSTED brand image + good sales for their higher-end NON-NEXUS phones (with good profit margins) in developed countries, gaining market share in price conscious markets.. So its a Win-Win Game for them, imho...

Edited by KanagaDeepan
  • Like 3

Just wondering, why motorola is not manufacturing nexus devices now?

Nexus 4 is about to launch for approx 299 usd as told by many people.

We are talking about profit and loss of lg, do we know the production cost if nexus 4??

Nexus 4 obviously meant for developed countries with good hspa+ service, as audio and video streaming and cloud storage are available. As shown by their priority introduction in US, UK, Canada, France, Europe, etc. Developing countries will get 32gb versions, for storing games and music and movies, but very late. Even then Optimus G will be the better suited choice, because of SD card slot, and will be introduced quickly, like Note 2. Sales of 64 and 128 gb cards are reported to be high in countries where Note 2 and Optimus G phones are sold, and where high speed data is not easily available. Just as Asus was chosen for its excellent 370t model as Nexus 7 candidate, LG was chosen for its innovative Optimus G as Nexus 4 candidate. Google and its OEM partners will benefit enormously when people compare Nexus with its Apple equivalent: IPad 4: excellent screen, but Nexus 10, better screen, better price! Iphone 5: excellent phone, but Nexus 4, better phone, better price! IOW, Apple is the target!  

• Like 1

I don think selling N4 @299$ will be a loss for them and they do it just for improving their brand value..

KD ji, I still beg to differ. You have stated for non geeks $199 Optimus G >>> $299 Nexus 4 but I cannot agree, simply because the $199 price is with contract and just by paying $100 more they are getting a SIM unlocked without contract Google branded phone. This is a win win for N4.

You are correct it will increase LG's brand value by being associated with Nexus range, but it is clear that N4 will eat into similarly specced Optimus G sales - whatever little sales LG could have managed in high end android market, for it's flagship, that too will be under threat. And here I am focusing only on markets where both N4 and OpG will both be launched, not markets like India where N4 will not be launched.

I am not even considering the point of cost. (The iphone 4s takes around $200 to build if we calculate individual component costs. The N4 will definitely be costing more than $200 to build. So margins are wafer thin, or nil for the N4 range.)

My main point of debate is this

>>>LG has built their flagship phone OpG and priced it at $199 with contract (approx $500 without contract) - this phone is supposed to be their number 1 product and cash cow

>>>then LG have built very similar spec phone for Google as the N4. Google has priced it at $299 to undercut it's competitors.

>>>Where does it leave LG? They have effectively abandoned their primary phone which will now be an "also ran" phone simply because the N4 is cheaper, has better brand value (Nexus), will have better software updates (from Google direct).

>>>So LG effectively is playing stepmom to their own child OpG. If that is good business sense, I atleast cannot see it.

Why Compare Nexus 4 with Optimus G

as G is Much more Superior than Nexus 4....

Low Pricing of Nexus is to Kill the Actual Competitor Apple And Not its Own brand

it More Over Andorid VS IOS

LG Phones are Always Good & Durable(Less Hardware Faults what i have seen, Excellent Build Quality in all Handsets) But They havent been able to match the Software's to Utilize the hardware properly & Solving the Problem with Updates.

If they do this well LG is Back on track

Edited by parin
  • Like 3

Nexus 4 Reviews

The Verge >> http://www.theverge....-nexus-4-review

The new flagship Android device has almost everything you've been waiting for... almost

Engadget >> http://www.engadget....nexus-4-review/

The idea that a Nexus quad-core smartphone is hitting the market with a starting price one dollar shy of $300 is simply stunning. Even more so is that it's available without any contract or carrier locks, which means you can use it virtually anywhere in the world. Adding yet another layer of amazement is the fact that this particular device will always be among the first (if not the first) to get the latest version of Android for the foreseeable future. What once was a smartphone series designed for developers has been decked out with top-notch features and priced so attractively that consumers will take notice of it; there's nothing comparable that comes close to it in that price range.

Techcrunch >> http://techcrunch.co...-enough-for-me/

Not Exactly Perfect, But Close Enough For Me

SlashGear >> http://www.slashgear...eview-02255292/

The LG Nexus 4 and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean are a very strong combination. LG’s flagship hardware is capable of a smoothness we’ve only really seen hinted at with the effects of Project Butter until now; on the S4 Pro chipset it simply flies. Nexus devices are already appealing, being as they are at the front of the line for new Android updates, but until now there’s always been a compromise somewhere along the way. With the Nexus 4, the compromise is as small as its ever been, and the fact that it’s so very affordable makes it strongly recommended for those wanting the best of Android today.

Wired >> http://www.wired.com...google-nexus-4/

Nearly flawless; buy it now

techradar >> http://www.techradar...-1108999/review

Impressive specs at an even more impressive price point
  • Like 2