Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ashoksoft

What To Do... If Ur Mob Gets Wet!

I had taken a day off to enjoy with my special someone... yesterday. We had gone to a waterfall near Navi Mumbai (New Bombay) at a place called Kharghar...

As expected ... I was busy taking care of my Digicam, and well my LG RD2030 was in deep water ... before I even knew it !! (Happened last year also... I went for a swim in my trousers with my mobile in my pocket... when I realized what had happened ... my heart was in my throat!! But then a quick thinking helped ... and it costed me NOTHING to get my beauty back to life!)

This time I was more prepared ... so herez what u do if ur mob. gets wet!!!!

FIRST : REMOVE THE BATTERY ASAP!

Do not keep the battery attached to the mobile as this increases the chances of getting a short circuit.

Take :

*A T3 6-star Screwdriver for LGRD2030

star screwdriver for SCH-N191

For Nokia handsets (newer ones) u do not actually need a screwdriver (or in the event that it gets completly wet, use a plug cleaner)

*Some ISO-PROPYL Alcohol

*A Hair Drier

*A little expertise in Electronics (this is not available anywhere.... if u do not have it ... please do not try these, at least for a safer side soldering is to be known)

*A soldering Iron is an added advantage (in the remote event of u breaking a contact! I have broken... that)

Step I

imag00013yj.jpg

Thatz my RD2030 lying peacefully .... with more than enuf water in it !! LOL

the battery is drained already!

The Tools I used other than the dryer and isopropyl are here...

imag00026il.jpg

Remove Battery (This is step to be done as soon as the thing gets wet ...)

This is just a demo image

imag00033gs.jpg

There are 4+1 screws in the RD2030 (this is dependent on which mobile u have)

imag00049ag.jpg

The above image depicts ... how the screws are removed...

Herez my mob with the screws removed .... all ready to expose (he he )

imag00057qi.jpg

Therez another screw under the hidden reception antenna padding (see image below)

that is also to be removed

imag00065hh.jpg

Gently apply a PUSH-UP pressure on the sides .... uses a sharp tool to assisit u better!

imag00070ht.jpg

The internal reception antenna is attached to the main PCB by means of a disconnectable plug... here u can see the wire still connected (please note .. that if ur RD2030 is giving reception problems... a small adjustment to the aluminum cylindrical thing ... can assist u a lot!) <- Thanks to Chits... who points out that that is the vibrator, i am not quite sure ... but it did help me a lil when my reception had gone kaboom.. no idea mates

imag00088vf.jpg

Remove Antenna Connection

imag00098sl.jpg

Here u can see the PCB of the mobile after I cleaned it with a lil Isopropyl ... use a cloth... and dont use too much alcohol...

imag000109uq.jpg

Post continued. ... Image Limit

Edited by ashoksoft

Gr8 information... Good going :)

Continuation of the post

To reach the keypads (where most of the water logs) seperate the PCB from the keypad body (anterior half of the mobile)

imag000116tr.jpg

Seperate the KeyPad ( U will have to remove it from the grooves and clean them thoroghly...)

imag000125rl.jpg

This is what I use to dry most of my electronics ... nice and real ancient ... but serves the purpose... my drier weighs about 2.7 kilos :)

imag000138sk.jpg

The next couple of images show the heating part ....

imag000157lf.jpg

imag000163cu.jpg

imag000176qd.jpg

Please ensure that u heat the keypad (also ensure that u do not hold the drier at one place for too long .... u have to evenly move your hand throughout the PCB ... such that one place does not over heat)

imag000187xi.jpg

Next seperate the keypads ... and clean them with a clean cloth (u can scrape off the dirt that would have accumlated in the grooves... also.. )

imag000199gk.jpg

Time to pack up .... please reverse procedure. ..

Connect the antenna plug (Red wire to the left when u hold the mobile in the standard position) and press the body back...

imag000200fr.jpg

Screws are to be re-driven

imag000218cw.jpg

(Continued)

BTW!!! Thanks a lot Sajo.

Hey Ashok:

The tutorial was fantastic. A friend of mine (DAPO customer) had got her dropped her 191 in a pool of water. They charged her 5000 bucks to get it fixed! So knowing stuff like this really helps.

Continuation

Battery is to be attached back!

imag000238mf.jpg

Switch on

imag000256kl.jpg

WOW! Chirag has been active ... thatz the first message i got ... after I managed to switch on my mobile

imag000283jd.jpg

Please note that this tutorial is for educational purposes only... U are opening the mobile and performing the above said actions under your own responsiblity... U can contact me for other details ... and demos on other handsets also..

Cheers

Ashok

Sorry for the interruption in the posts :)

Thanks for that Vishal Bhai.... Hum toh Lagey hi rahenge, in sab aaltoo faltu kamom mein.

Nice one :D

35517[/snapback]

Thanks for that ... do u guys feel another post for Samsung / Nokia Handsets is also needed ? or is this enuf ?

Yah! :clap:

Its needed man... :lol:

YEH DIL MAANGE MOREEEEEEEE. :D

35533[/snapback]

noted sire ... but unfortunately I will be out of station till the 19th of this month, post then... or if I have time (I am on a holiday) I will post from Lonavla.

hey.. g8t effort... uve gotto show this effort to Rel WW guys.. probably they would like to get a handson expertise.. instead of redirecting the customers to a distant service centre which is closed down most of the time..

n1 Ashok ! lage raho !

Thanks dude.... Love this ..... Btw I think I will have to add another post to deal with the cleaning of blocked contacts (behind RD2030's mostly, but also on other mobs).... but all this after 19th ... Coz I am touring till then.

Very nice and comprehensive post.

Will surely help a lot of distressed souls in this Monsoon.

However, a small correction. The thing that u disconnected (the one with two wires) is not the internal antenna but actually the Vibrator!!

So tweaking it wont help the reception. however u can clean the contact(golden colored) of the antenna which touches the pcb to improve the reception.

Nice work though :dontknow:

Thanks dude.... Love this ..... Btw I think I will have to add another post to deal with the cleaning of blocked contacts (behind RD2030's mostly, but also on other mobs).... but all this after 19th ... Coz I am touring till then.

35552[/snapback]

Very nice and comprehensive post.

Will surely help a lot of distressed souls in this Monsoon.

However, a small correction. The thing that u disconnected (the one with two wires) is not the internal antenna but actually the Vibrator!!

So tweaking it wont help the reception. however u can clean the contact(golden colored) of the antenna which touches the pcb to improve the reception.

Nice work though  :dontknow:

Thanks a lot for the info mates. ... I was always wondering where the vibrator was hidden.... but once when my reception had gone completely kaboom... all I remember was shaking that once ... (a loooooong time ago) and the mob was working fine... no idea if the reception was back due to some other reasons... but I got a notion that this was the antenna (the internal one)

Any way thanks dude...

Cheers

Ashok

Sure... if u are technically competent .. can u please label the other components also ... so that others + me can benefit from that...

Cheers

Ashok

Hey ... the same trick can be used to Laptop Synaptic touchpads .... mine got wet the other day .... and guess what ... I did just what I did with my mobile!

Cheers

Ashok

LOL!!!! Whoz that? Man... that is dreaming tooo high!!

Cheers

Ashok