Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ashras99

Bsnl Broadband Speed

Guys, I want to take a BSNL broadband connection and want to confirm..that my friend says, it doesnt matter you taje 256kbps connection or 512kbps connection speed comes same in both the plan.

Please tell me is that true.

And secondly, P2P applications like (overnet, edonkey, kazaa) works fine on bsnl connection (no blocking of port or something).

Please guide me with your experience...what's speed you are getting in the peaktime or in night time. And there is any downtime.

Guys, I want to take a BSNL broadband connection and want to confirm..that my friend says, it doesnt matter you taje 256kbps connection or 512kbps connection speed comes same in both the plan.

Please tell me is that true.

And secondly, P2P applications like (overnet, edonkey, kazaa) works fine on bsnl connection (no blocking of port or something).

Please guide me with your experience...what's speed you are getting in the peaktime or in night time. And there is any downtime.

46301[/snapback]

hmmm if u wanna truly download then never take dataone or triband they dont have unlimited downloads and if u got for it for a download connection then be prepared to fetch out 10k + / month

its better that u take a service from ur local cable wala

or wait for other operators to start a better service in ur area

abhey, btw i have asked something else, if you can answer those questions then it is much better.

And BSNL have 2:00AM to 8:00AM unlimited data. So, I will download much more in those 6 hours that i am able to download in whole day from Reliance. So, that's why i am asking how much speed and in different plans getting really difference in speed

well, I am not in BSNL area so I have MTNL connection, but since both are PSUs I imagine they must be pretty much the same The speeds are excellent. On my 256 kbps I get a speed of 27 kb/s, which is about 216 kbps.

In peak and in night you get same speed or this is fluctuating like have you seen in relienace.

And any friend of yours take bigger plan...if yes, then there is any difference in speed.

46301[/snapback]

i am a a core downloader and would like to out something in the limelight

1) P2P are que oriented- so they dont start instantly and neither they go to extreamly high speeds like 512 KBPS all the time! so u cant utilize ur full capacity with them.

MORAL OF THE STORY :-- there goes ur 2 hrs from ur 6 hrs in q and another 4 hrs not utilizing ur full capacity :(

2) speed wise i think MTNL AND BSNL give it ! as far as my experince with MTNL they were OK @ their work

thats it i can guide u with ur problem! any other ?'s

MORAL 2 :- forget about utilizing ur full capacity coz half of the time u will be just in q

Well, i am through some light that i am also a core downloader and i am never in que to download anything....that's right not able to utilize full but around 80% i am able to utilize and that's why i am able to download 480MB in whole day (20MB per hour) from reliance dialup connection on LG-LSP340E, and think that's not bad.

And that's why want to know that P2P and torrent site download works fine on BSNL, there is no blocking of ports or something.

Im on Dataone (256 kbps) since last month and speeds are decent and close to what is specified. Though daytime speeds are sometimes slighly less.

And I dont think there is any truth in your friend saying that 256 and 512 kbps are equivalent. Actually the Huawei modem they give you is rated for max 25 Mbps upload and 1 Mbps download. So you can use the same modem for all their plans, but they do cap the speeds at their end.

About the downtime, in my short experience with them - its been there but quite negligeble. On the whole its been pretty reliable.

And I'v used P2P apps on Dataone - Bitcomet, Limewire and Shareaza. No probs with port blocking or whatever ...though I have experienced what Abhay has pointed out ...so the 2 to 8 freetime is of limited use ..and not to mention, also bad for health. :(

And you havent asked, but I cant resist reminding you - BSNL customer care is HELL ...can't get any worse than that!

Thanks racoon for information, btw you have tested a speed on any system in which more than 256kbps connection have.

So, how much speed u get in day time and in night. And that's true and no doubt in that the BSNL customer care s**ks.

The Huawei modem u get from BSNL have a USB port because i heared in new modems USB port is coming up. Can you post Huawei model no.

Thanks racoon for information, btw you have tested a speed on any system in which more than 256kbps connection have.

* Not sure what you mean by that. If you are asking if I have seen a system with a > 256 kbps Dataone connection, then the answer is no.

So, how much speed u get in day time and in night. And that's true and no doubt in that the BSNL customer care s**ks.

* Rated speed is 256 kbps = 32 kBps. I generally get upto 30 kBps at night ...which is of course reasonable, keeping network overheads in mind. Daytime speeds vary ...not as good as night time speeds but not too bad. And yes, packet loss is next to nil ...whenever I tested :( Dont use much for downloading in the day, so can't give an exact figure right now.

The Huawei modem u get from BSNL have a USB port because i heared in new modems USB port is coming up. Can you post Huawei model no.

* The modem has dual interface - USB and ethernet. They also give you both - USB & ethernet cables. You can use either. I haven't tried the USB interface. Huawei modem model: SmartAX MT882.

**One other issue - the DataOne Data usage site consistently shows a SIGNIFICANTLY higher usage than what I log at my end! :angry: I'm apprehensive about the bill I may be getting... :unsure:

Edited by raccoon

If you are getting 30kbps in night then you are able to download around 75-90MB in night. Are u able to download....please confirm?

I think dataone site dont shows collective data usage, they show log of every time you connect, so may be you have not calculated properly or they are also same as Reliance (cheating in data usage).

Anyone knows from which get faster speed, connection through USB port or ethernet port, or doesnt matter.

Technically, you get faster connection with ethernet (if it supports speeds upto 100 MBPS, which is the case with most these days). The USB port suppports speeds upto 54 MBPS. But then, since the bandwidth available is way below these limits, there is no difference in the speeds. I have used the both extensively with MTNL BB and have never noticed any significant difference in the speeds.

The good thing with dual interface modem is, that you can use the both interface at a time with two different systems. Like, I use it thru ethernet port on my PC and thru USB on my Laptop, both at a time. Ofcourse, the bandwidth is shared, but then I do not have to bother settng up a LAN netwrok to connect my PCs.

As for the speeds, MTNL/BSNL rocks. During the night hours, the speeds are constant around 30-32 kBps and during day time, it does fluctuate but its not that bad anyway.

The download cap thing with these PSUs (and other providers in India too) is the worst thing, what a broadband cnnection is with 400 MB or 1GB of download cap? Due to this reason, I am shifting back to Airtel's Home 999 plan, which gives 256 k unlimited. Since I have used Airtel BB before, I would vote for Airtel instead of MTNL/BSNL as their speeds are equally good and have 100x better customer support.

Cheers!

for the data monotoring and limit timing ! no need to actully stip up @ night and wait for 2 am :( ! u can use netlimiter! make rules and schedule the download + upload limit! a very neat software! good user interface and u can even a bandwidth monitoring so u can use it to log how much u have downloaded during a perticular period

did the same for my sify night unlimited! automatically switches the speed on and off

I have heared alot about the good speed of BSNL, but now talk about something regarding Bill.

I heared lots of over usage bills are coming up and if you continue use ur internet after 8:00AM or before 2:00AM then whole data usage will be added in the paid one. BSNL dont have any tool to solve this problem yet.

for the data monotoring and limit timing ! no need to actully stip up @ night and wait for 2 am  ! u can use netlimiter! make rules and schedule the download + upload limit! a very neat software! good user interface and u can even a bandwidth monitoring so u can use it to log how much u have downloaded during a perticular period

did the same for my sify night unlimited! automatically switches the speed on and off

Cool. Really need something like that now ...else BSNL could make a zombie out of you! :wacko:
I have heared alot about the good speed of BSNL, but now talk about something regarding Bill.

I heared lots of over usage bills are coming up and if you continue use ur internet after 8:00AM or before 2:00AM then whole data usage will be added in the paid one. BSNL dont have any tool to solve this problem yet.

Yes, I can see that happening. I know many people who have even taken their 400 MB data limit plan ...and don't understand much about it. I think the 1st bills are going to be a rude shock for many.

The DataOne usage site shows log-in time, log-out time, ul data, dl data, and total (ul+dl) for each connection instance. On the top of the page they show the cumulative used in the current billing cycle. And they even add the night time free usage to it! So its very difficult to know how much data you will be actually billed for ...unless you urself keep adding up all the figures!! BSNL ........arggggh!!!

And btw, the disrepency between what I log at my end and their site is v substantial - last time I logged about 1.5 MB at my end and the site showed 2.4 MB. I'v heard of other ways of BSNLs cheating too. I don't think even RIM can beat BSNL at it! :angry:

Barbad Sanchar nigam Lootera....the lloootera PSU.......this thread is good one...***** from my side..as i had been thinking to go 4 data1 ...but i will have to go only for it coz..i have waited for almost a year that RIm actually launch BB but till now no options nearby me except Barbad Sanchar Nigam Lootera..i use DUmeter for keeping a watch at my downloads and uploads.......But ppl who have rim BROADnet in their area shd go for that ..its cheap and good!

bleh, Reliance BB is not available at any place except their webworlds. I dont know what lil' ambani is doing? Sleeping over it i guess...

Reliance BB is available in metros like in Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkatta etc..

But not available in small cities I talked to Reliance guys several times and from last 2 years they are saying will be launched in next 4-5months, now the latest date is in february. Anyone have any confirmation regarding this...

Dunno whats holding them up in rolling out the "Broadnet" services all over India, but the first quarter of 2006 is what I've heard last.