Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vmsanghrajka

Pune Plans To Be World's First 'wirefree' City

Pune has embarked on an ambitious project, which on being implemented would be first of its kind anywhere in the world: a digital revolution of unwiring the city.

Intel India has been selected as the chief technology consultant for the project by the Pune Municipal Corporation.

"We are visualising a wirefree city in which reliable Internet access would be available to everyone. For this we have entered into a tie-up with Intel Technology India Pvt. Ltd. PMC proposes to deliver easy, seamless Internet connectivity to its citizens, businesses and academic institutions across the 400 square km area of the city," PMC Commissioner Nitin Kareer said.

About the cost of the project, he said it was still not known though the Corporation has already made an allocation of Rs 7 crore (Rs 70 million) for it.

Intel is expected to submit a detailed technical study on the 'Unwiring Pune Project' in the next three months, he said, adding that the project would be implemented within one year after the technical report gets the necessary approval.

Intel has suggested deploying WiMAX (worldwide interoperability for microwave access) and Wi-Fi (wireless fidelity) technologies to empower Pune with high-speed wireless Internet.

Rich Echevarrai, vice president, Intel Software and Solutions Group, on Wednesday held a presentation on the project aimed at 'Unwiring Pune' in the presence of Mayor Rajani Tribhuvan, and Kareer.

Source: Rediff India

kewl is the word... why doesn't pune municipal corporation do something about the city roads too....

kewl is the word... why doesn't pune municipal corporation do something about the city roads too....

Exactly the same thought occured to me. Take care of the basic amenities like roads, power etc first. Especially the roads (are there any roads left in Pune now?) I stayed in Pune for 2 years, n watched how the University road n others descended from being a class road to a country road. N better not to say anything about the traffic rules. The wi-fi city will go nowhere without basic infrastructure.

Still, a good initiative.

Why doesnt mumbai do something like this?!

Hope Mukesh bhai will help Mumbaikars out with some Wifi hotspots too in his planned mega city !

I think to go for a wirefree city with Broadband type of speeds,a combination of

WiMax and Wifi has to be deployed.Cause the range of Wifi is limited so for coverage

of wider areas WiMax will have to be used.

But,somehow I think the effort of the Pune Corporation is misplaced.The are spending loads of money on a furustic project where as basic infracture is being ignored.The first level of broadband penetration should be along the way of reusing traditional telephone lines(POTS) for brodband through DSL.or reusing cable TV for internet.Cause those who require limited mobility in their premises can go for a WiFi router in their homes.

For greater mobility the existing cellular infrastructure + WiFi Hotspots can be used.In fact as 3G networks are introduced,they will support broadband speeds.

I think the whole thing of providing services and telecom infrastructure should be left to telecom operators.The city corporations should only try to meet their minimum requirement for maintainig the city which they have failed to.

Edited by ronynandy

Yesterday, Nucleus Mall near MG Road also became Wi-Fi .

Its good to see something like this in Pune.

But i think they should first concentrate on giving basic infrastructure.

Whats the use of Wi-Fi if you don't have power to run your machines ??

We still have 2-5 Hrs of power cuts in the city everyday..

Sometimes it makes me feel like i'm staying in some village.

And then i feel puzzeled when i read in newspapers about these Hi-Fi Wi-Fi stuff..

:)

Talk about power cuts... Pune is pretty regular with powercuts and guess what all the IT companies also get these regular power cuts... Only thing a IT indrustry asks for from govt is power... rest they can manage for themselves... here we have a city providing them wifi hotspots but no power...

Now Thats Life...

Maharashtra has a potential of producing 75,000MW of power purely from Hydro -electric projects said a Japanese report. Even if we manage to produce half that all the state's power problems will be solved, for a while atleast!