Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
patnaik

Improve Browsing Speed With Treewalk Dns?

I have been using Treewalk DNSfor a while now. This is a free DNS server software that you run locally on your computer to speed up DNS lookups. I feel I have improved browsing speed and get less of 'server not found' errors. Does anyone have experiences to share on this?

oh definitely it does have a lot to do with improving speeds. I run my own router / server / firewall and one of its many roles is a caching DNS server. It has improved my DNS queries. One cached the look ups take only about 1ms or less so less waiting for name resolutions! :)

hi linux boy,

i too use linux to connect to the net....so ill be grateful if u tell me the procedure to set up the router / dns server

thanx in advance

bye

its linux guy and _not_ boy. Anyways, search for setting up BIND articles on debian.org. I setup using the same tuts :'(

oh definitely it does have a lot to do with improving speeds. I run my own router / server / firewall and one of its many roles is a caching DNS server. It has improved my DNS queries. One cached the look ups take only about 1ms or less so less waiting for name resolutions! :angry:

hmmm i dont use DNS server's i think having better speeds is more important that cacheing the DNS's

and on other hand i think my ISP already caches the frequent DNS queries and so y the fu*k should i load MY already DEAD system with more resource eaters :angry::angry:

Edited by abhay

abhay, thats because you are using windows :) . I have a P1 166MHz MMX setup with 1.2GB of HDD and I use it as a SPI firewall, web server, proxy server, caching DNS server, file server and what not. Consider running Linux for a change. You'll see your computer doing unbelievable things :clap:

Rather consider this ... I used to be on Minix at one point of time ... on a 486dX (yeah @ the same time I used a Modi Olivetti 286, and a Prima 386 comps).... well and to boast about the feasiblity scales... I had a 40 MB HDD!!!!! if that helps!

well I am far from those today *even though I still have all the CPU's here ....

cheers

ashok

he he good question! :help:

Hi Guys,

I am using LSP 340E, serial,winme...

Are there any other methods like DNS caching that would better my browsing experience...

It gets too slow at times....

Thanks!

WELL, I sugeest all of u TRY OPENDNS.com

NO Sfware. NO download. Just change the DNS settings in PC & u are done.

Well Opendns is not working on my system. :lol: Im on DataOne and XP Pro. Tried writing to them too ...no reply yet. Is it working for anyone?

I dont have DATAONE. but i think, It works for everyone. The problem is U wont know. MOST ISP have page caching & hence takes time to actually see updated page.

What i did was enabled windows FIREWALL & LOGGED the sucessful connections. Then i cheked the LOG file at C:\windows\pfirewall.log

It connected to OPEN DNS IP everytime i surf website.(Trying to get DNS for domains that u enter while surfing) Fool proof way to chek whether its been activated or not.

Dude, OpenDNS has given 3 ways to check if its DNS servers are being used. The 1st test is to go to http://welcome.opendns.com/ . I get the "Oops" page everytime. The other 2 URL's display the page not found standard browser message. Tried after rebooting and on 3 different browsers! It definitely does not seem to be working. :lol: Haven't checked the XP firewall log as logging isn't enabled. I don't see how it will help...

Anyway, how much speed difference do you really find? Are you using your ISP's DNS servers? Which?

Edited by raccoon

i dont think it improves speed drastically. but marginally better.

Also chek this page after u chged to OPEN DNS settings . www.opendns.com/welcome

Also cheking FIREWALL sucessful connction log file helps u come to know of all IP address that yr computer is connecting to including Date/time & which port its using for connection.

Also some sites which used to open slowly from my ISP provided DNS servers are now opening visibly faster. besides i dont see much of a harm in chaging to OPEN DNS anyway.

Rest , it depends on personal assesment of each individual.

Ya, it all depends on how well your ISP is managing its DNS service. But using a server halfway around the globe might be inherently a bit slower than using your ISP's local server ...thats what I was wondering about. Of course there are other factors...

The link you have given ( www.opendns.com/welcome ) is dispaying a positive answer; while the one I'v mentioned in my last post isn't! Anyway, I dont think its working for me ...and no assistance from Opendns, till now...

opendns recives too many queries. but they do revert back. Infact i wrote them twice. first time they replied with all sorts of answers... second time they told me that they have replied to my first email. both emails were sent 3 days apart. so they have some sort of records when they reply back.

thats my experince. if u find yr ISP DNS servers are wroking good there is no reason to change in first place.

Still awaiting their reply...

About BSNL's DNS servers ...well, I can only compare relatively ...and I can't compare unless I can get Opendns to work!

What DNS server actually do is translate a domain name to IP address. thats all where it ends. there is nothing much beyond this that they can do faster. The actual data transfer depends on connection speed.

So if u are happy with browsing speed in BSNL.. just dont bother about n e thing else.