Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
abhay

Reliance Communication To Enter Gsm Services

How come MTNL and BSNL can provide both in the same circle, maybe because they have the Union Govt license rather than the unified access license.

BSNL and MTNL operates CDMA as limited mobility hence it is under fixed line licence.

What the Times Article says is that GSM spectrum will be given to Reliance as and when it starts vacating the CDMA spectrum. Hence this is what AA wanted anyway. Only thing is that both GSM and CDMA will not be available simultaneously to Reliance.

So Mum and Del Reliance folks can get GSM connections maybe in six months or even earlier. However, the voice clarity may not be as clear and call charges may also be higher than CDMA in the initial phase. Maybe when Reliance moves all its custoemrs from CDMA to GSM, they will be able to offer competitive and economic call rates.

Anyway, lets wait and watch.

it seems NO one operator can provide dual services under 1 licence

for reliance to provide CDMA + GSM in a single circle they have to purchase another licence

Reliance CAN offer GSM/CDMA mobile services in same circle:DoT

Anil Ambani-led Reliance Communications can offer both GSM and CDMA-based mobile services in the same circle under its current licence, highly-placed sources said today.

We have not yet gone through it (Reliance's GSM application) .. DoT's policy is to accommodate everyone, it (the policy) should be dynamic not rigid. We don't want to close the door on anyone. BSNL and MTNL are already offering both the services in the same (respective) circles, sources associated with the process said.

"Reliance Communications has a Unified Access Services Licence which is technology-neutral. If BSNL, MTNL are doing the same thing why any particular company can't do it?" they said.

Reliance Communications'expanded GSM cellular telephony aspirations are likely to steer clear of any regulatory roadblock as and when the Department of Telecom starts looking into the matter in details which it has sought from the company.

Earlier, DoT officials had said that caveat here is that the company would have to part with the CDMA spectrum in case it decides to switch completely to GSM.

DoT sources said in its first application to the Department few days ago, the company had asked voluntarily if it would get spectrum in case it surrenders CDMA spectrum. It has sought permission to offer GSM services in seven circles.

If all goes on track, the Anil Ambani company will be allotted 4.4 mhz of spectrum to start with, they said.

At present, Reliance operates GSM services in Kolkata, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Bihar and North-East through its subsidiary Reliance Telecom, and has over two million GSM subscribers. But Reliance Communications is more known as a CDMA player with its 20 million subscribers.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/07/05/1705090.htm

but my point of argument is we still don't have correct data

i mean one day we are talking about we CAN'T have two tech in same circle and other day some1 (dot) says we can

what the hell is happening ?? :cheer::)

Wait till the time some notification is out, till then its all guesses and opinions.

Very bad news Qualacom finally denied to reduce royalty again as posted in news. Now if Reliance proceeds GSM plans it will be most destructive step. In UP for last 1.5 years they have not put up any new tower. Tata is just going to surpass them. Only God can save CDMA customers of Reliance !

Reliance applies for GSM spectrum in 4 more circles

The Financial Express

Posted online: Monday, July 10, 2006 at 0000 hours IST

NEW DELHI, JULY 9: Indicating that, it’s moving ahead with its plan to migrate from CDMA to GSM technology, Reliance Communications (RCL) has now applied for GSM spectrum in Chennai, Uttar Pradesh (east and west) and Jammu and Kashmir circles. The application has been sent to the wireless planning and coordination wing of the department of telecommunications (DoT). Last month, it had requested for GSM spectrum in Delhi and Mumbai.

According to DoT officials, applications like the one for Delhi and Mumbai circles, have been made under RCL’s unified access service licence. DoT officials said that as in the earlier case they have once again written to Reliance to provide them with a detailed plan.

Last week, a senior DoT official had clarified that there was no restriction on Reliance providing both CDMA and GSM services in the same circle as it already had a unified licence. RCL’s wholly owned subsidiary Reliance Telecom already provides GSM services in eight circles and in many of these RCL provides CDMA services.

Similarly, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd provide both GSM and CDMA services in the same circles.

Earlier, DoT had taken the stand that in lieu of GSM spectrum, Reliance may have to vacate some of its CDMA spectrum. However, DoT officials clarified that there’s no such policy and the move was contemplated to tide over spectrum crunch.

so abhay, it seems they can infact have CDMA & GSM in the same circles :confuse:

Edited by Nirvana

Dear Friends

One more news . Reliance Telecom previously providing GSM sevices was a brainchild of Anil Ambani. He is very much fond of and attracted towards GSM.

After taking charge of Reliance Communications (old Infocomm of Mukesh) he is changing everything. Hope he does not change everything .The last thing he may be willing to change is the name of his father which he can never change !

hey DoT what are you doing take action on lil ambani!

well Nirvana!! i dont beleave this kind of news now!! :(

u can see since this topic has started how many times they (newspapers) have written

they CAN

they CANT

it will be costly affair

it will be extremely cheap

they have to get licenses

their unified licenses will work and they don't have to get licenses

i say follow Puneet and wait for the notification or some kind of official press release

Since Reliance is going for GSM network at other placed also, will they be in a position to offer same number what we have presently in CDMA in GSM if we convert from CDMA to GSM. I am planning to change handset, but would prefer GSM service of Reliance, due to obvisous adv. of more fredom, but only if Reliance can offer same number in GSM what I have presently in CDMA.

I think this will not be possible, but just want to check with you guys. Please let me know this so that I can decide whether to change handset or to wait for GSM service.

Since Reliance is going for GSM network at other placed also, will they be in a position to offer same number what we have presently in CDMA in GSM if we convert from CDMA to GSM. I am planning to change handset, but would prefer GSM service of Reliance, due to obvisous adv. of more fredom, but only if Reliance can offer same number in GSM what I have presently in CDMA.

I think this will not be possible, but just want to check with you guys. Please let me know this so that I can decide whether to change handset or to wait for GSM service.

I think it should be possible. The distinctive number series' allotted to different operators like 99X to Airtel, 92x to Tata, 93X to Reliance and so on...is not dependent on the technology used by the operators.

So it should not matter whether the same 93 number is on cdma platform or gsm platform.

But, ultimately the decision would lie with reliance whether to offer the same number or not? and maybe, it might become an issue from a regulatory point of view also.

Thnx. I think I should wait for RM to start GSM network in Guj. I feel the same will be by end of this year. Your reply made me not to think for changing handset atleast presently.

Any Idea which series RM is offering to UP, Bihar, W. Bengol, where they are already having GSM network also. B'cos as you said, Reliance might be offering some series which is alloted to them. If these places where Reliance is offering presently GSM service, the series starts from 93, than definitely at other places also they will offer 93 series only and so in future we can migrate from CDMA to GSM without changing our number. Which is definitely well accepted by all.

Anybody pls. know Reliance GSM network numbers presently, pls. let us know.

Dear Jatin,

93 series is only alotted to reliance cdma phones, reliance gsm starts with 98 series presently ,future it may be with 99 series.

Or it may start with 93 also, you never know. As Reliance is asking for the spectrum under the same license it holds for CDMA - my guess is it would not be allotted new number series. Only the time will tell.

well atleast there shd be any statement from them that what are their future plans..but they .......

Or it may start with 93 also, you never know. As Reliance is asking for the spectrum under the same license it holds for CDMA - my guess is it would not be allotted new number series. Only the time will tell.

Right Puneet, it's a valid point. The number series are allotted to licence holders....so i also feel they would offer 93 series in their future gsm circles.

Just stumbled upon this webpage while surfing:

CDMA RUIM doubles-up as GSM SIM

This could be the answer to the issue of carrying your 93 number to Reliance GSM.

Edited by amtrag

Thanks, Amtrag. I think this R-UIM option will make bridge between CDMA and GSM. As Puneet said Time will only tell, b'cos what RM is planning we all don't know. Sometimes they come out with solutions which we feel technically not possible, and sometimes they don't provide solutions which are very obvious and simple, so I think let's wait and watch and see what is there in their mind......

In all probability, RUIM will be the answer. As was reported in news that AA asked Qualcomm to push RUIM enabled handset chips. This would reduce at least one hurdle in the transition.

but guys i didnt understand one thing ..tata is providing almost all handsets based on RUIM support which rim aint...then whts that look at 6235...or 6255 or 6155....whats the matter

Dear Friends

Reliance turnover is close to 11000 crore rupee and Airtel is about 12000 according to latest released data. Reliance is doing well in CDMA, so why shifting to GSM? Approximate price of average handset in CDMA is around Rs.3500. So 5% more royalty to Qualacom comes to 175 Rs. For this marginaly price difference why Reliance is turning everything around? Actually it is the high price of exchanges thats changing the scene.

Mukesh Ambani started Infocom when components were much more costly than today. He choose CDMA becaues of future applications. Now Anil wants to earn only. He is not willing to spend on costly CDMA exchanges for network expansion. Moneywise Airtel is earning much more, but it has nothig new to contribute to our country.

Edited by rajeshkatiyar

Its not just the royalty fee burden thats forcing Reliance Comm. towards GSM, but issues like Spectrum availability, higher infrastructure cost and also an the insecurity of being left with a very small piece of the total market share in the wake of ever increasing dominance of GSM players. Over 80% of the total market share and two billion subscriptions, comparatively low subscriber acquisition cost, high number of GSM/WCDMA terminals, and support for standards like EDGE, WCDMA-HSPA and LTE make GSM very convincing. Reliance's foray in the GSM space could be due to these very reasons and the royalty fee squabble may well be just an excuse !

HFCL may go the Reliance way - CDMA to GSM !

DNA Networks

Friday, July 14, 2006 21:04 IST

MUMBAI: Qualcomm’s business in India may be nearing a dead end. Following in the footsteps of Reliance Communications, Punjab-based Himachal Futuristic Communications Ltd (HFCL) is learnt to have applied for GSM spectrum for offering mobile services.

The Rs 756 crore HFCL runs telecom services under the brand name ‘Connect’ in Punjab and Chandigarh. The company turned around recently, riding on the telecom boom.

HFCL sources said the company wants to move away from offering CDMA-based mobile services to GSM. It, however, has no plan to surrender the CDMA spectrum and will continue to offer fixed wireless services based on CDMA.

HFCL MD Mahendra Nahata could not be reached despite repeated attempts. But officials of the company and the DoT confirmed that HFCL had applied for GSM spectrum on 1800 MHz from DoT. It is planning to offer services in other circles, especially in the north, by next fiscal.

Should Reliance and HFCL indeed pullout, Tata Tele Services and Mahanagar Telecom Nigam would be the only two players left in the space. While it may be too premature to say whether Industry sources feel the country is gradually shifting from CDMA to GSM due to difficulties in getting spectrum and the high cost of CDMA infrastructure.

Whatever guys. here is the best news.

U can get as many RIM RUIMs u want now @ mere 50/- bucks ,

Want some??

Call me.