Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
me_saket

Samsung Corby Speed CDMA Launched

days[/b][/size]... i tried it... compelete standby for one day... but still the battery goes down and have to charge it after 26 hours....

wow, gr8 :Sorprendido: ,

u kept phone unused for 26hrs :Confuso:

without using, and even

no miss call :(

no sms :(

screen didn't blink/glow for 10second?? :NO:

hat's off to u can patience. :clap:

yup.. removed the sim.. and inserted it in my old phone .. and then kept corby in offline mode ... any doubt ??:Decepcionado:

I am sharing my experience with corby speed with few days of use.

I saw the phone in the shop and tempted to buy. But was not satisfied with the phone after few days of usage and gave it to somebody else. I probably expected too much from a basic touch screen phone like corby speed, but I see it from my point of view and it didn't do any value add to me. I already own SE Xperia X1 and Nokia 6275. This phone was to replace my 2 year old Nokia 6275.

On the first day it lasted for just 12 - 14 hrs, as I was trying to explore the functions of this phone. In complete standby mode (without any calls or music or browsing), it lasted for 2.5 days. I kept the phone in charging for 12 hrs before first use. I feel this phone will last for ~24 hrs with 30mins of call and same time of usage of music or browsing.

I would like to discuss more on browsing / mail prospective, as it has not been discussed much in this forum.

1. The browser is good one and any HTML sites can be accessed. I could access cricinfo and it too was auto refreshing. But somehow I was not satisfied with touch sensitiveness of the browser while clicking on the links. As the HTML pages doesn't fit properly in the small screen, I had to move left-right-left for each line on the browser. I changed the font. But dedn't help much. Opera browser could have solved the purpose here.

2. The speed was just ok (I didn't do a speed test). I just accessed some sites including cricinfo from my Xperia (Vodafone 2G) and samsung Corby (Reliance) at the same time. In Xperia with vodafone I could see the sites acessed faster. I am not sure if something esle was to be activated (Any way the phone is not with me anymore to do any more tests)

3. The Google applications (Gmail, Google Maps, etc.) that come as part of GSM handset are not available in cdma.

4. when I went to google site (m.google.com) from this phone's browser, there was no applications listed for this phone for downloading. But one can see all applications from gsm phone's browser.

5. The phone just has a basic mail client for POP3 / IMAP. No facility for push mail / active sync or equivalent facility (I may be expecting too much from this phone - I may have to go for HTC phones for this).

Coming back to other functions,

1. I found the UI to be very good

2. Sound quality was also good

3. I could transfer ~100 contacts from Xpria to corby speed through bluetooth in an attempt. 800 contacts transferred quickly without a need of PC.

4. Couldn't find any option to rearrange the icons in main menu (May be I missed some option)

5. fonts in the phonebook was too large. only 3 contacts displayed. when keypad is on for searching contacts in vertical mode, I can see only first 3 characters of name visible in 3 lines. When it is in horizontal mode, only one name is visible. There is no option for changing the font size or display options for phonebook.

6. When QWERTY keypad is activated on screen, thumbs are not suitable for typing because of small size of on screen letters. Thumb Nails of a stylus required in this case and no stylus is supplied.

7. No dedicated joystick / navigator button for scrolling up/down or left/right. While moving the scrren many times I ended of selecting something un-intentionally. This may be a matter of adjusting.

8. Didn't fing any option of zooming the photos.

9, Photo clarity in Nokia 6275 was better than this mobile and 6275 has a flash that is missing in this phone.

10. When I paired phone with bluetooth headset and swith the visibility to off, the phone is still connected. If the bluetooth device is turned off and then turned on, it is not automatically paired. But in Nokia 6275 and Xperia I don't have this problem. Even though the phone is in invisible mode of bluetooth, the headset will be automaticalley connected when that is switched on.

In the end I decided, it is not worth replacing 6275 by this phone. May be some of new releases from Samsung will serve the purpose.

I feel, this phone will be liked for the younger generation for its look, UI and the inbuilt chat applicatins like facebook, twitter, etc.

Edited by sumitksahu
  • Like 1

days[/b][/size]... i tried it... compelete standby for one day... but still the battery goes down and have to charge it after 26 hours....

wow, gr8 :Sorprendido: ,

u kept phone unused for 26hrs :Confuso:

without using, and even

no miss call :(

no sms :(

screen didn't blink/glow for 10second?? :NO:

hat's off to u can patience. :clap:

yup.. removed the sim.. and inserted it in my old phone .. and then kept corby in offline mode ... any doubt ??:Decepcionado:

i have no doubt on ur experiment.. :winko:

but i have full doubt on battary supplied by samsung for this handset :rofl_200:

I am sharing my experience with corby speed with few days of use.

I saw the phone in the shop and tempted to buy. But was not satisfied with the phone after few days of usage and gave it to somebody else. I probably expected too much from a basic touch screen phone like corby speed, but I see it from my point of view and it didn't do any value add to me. I already own SE Xperia X1 and Nokia 6275. This phone was to replace my 2 year old Nokia 6275.

On the first day it lasted for just 12 - 14 hrs, as I was trying to explore the functions of this phone. In complete standby mode (without any calls or music or browsing), it lasted for 2.5 days. I kept the phone in charging for 12 hrs before first use. I feel this phone will last for ~24 hrs with 30mins of call and same time of usage of music or browsing.

I would like to discuss more on browsing / mail prospective, as it has not been discussed much in this forum.

1. The browser is good one and any HTML sites can be accessed. I could access cricinfo and it too was auto refreshing. But somehow I was not satisfied with touch sensitiveness of the browser while clicking on the links. As the HTML pages doesn't fit properly in the small screen, I had to move left-right-left for each line on the browser. I changed the font. But dedn't help much. Opera browser could have solved the purpose here.

2. The speed was just ok (I didn't do a speed test). I just accessed some sites including cricinfo from my Xperia (Vodafone 2G) and samsung Corby (Reliance) at the same time. In Xperia with vodafone I could see the sites acessed faster. I am not sure if something esle was to be activated (Any way the phone is not with me anymore to do any more tests)

3. The Google applications (Gmail, Google Maps, etc.) that come as part of GSM handset are not available in cdma.

4. when I went to google site (m.google.com) from this phone's browser, there was no applications listed for this phone for downloading. But one can see all applications from gsm phone's browser.

5. The phone just has a basic mail client for POP3 / IMAP. No facility for push mail / active sync or equivalent facility (I may be expecting too much from this phone - I may have to go for HTC phones for this).

Coming back to other functions,

1. I found the UI to be very good

2. Sound quality was also good

3. I could transfer ~100 contacts from Xpria to corby speed through bluetooth in an attempt. 800 contacts transferred quickly without a need of PC.

4. Couldn't find any option to rearrange the icons in main menu (May be I missed some option)

5. fonts in the phonebook was too large. only 3 contacts displayed. when keypad is on for searching contacts in vertical mode, I can see only first 3 characters of name visible in 3 lines. When it is in horizontal mode, only one name is visible. There is no option for changing the font size or display options for phonebook.

6. When QWERTY keypad is activated on screen, thumbs are not suitable for typing because of small size of on screen letters. Thumb Nails of a stylus required in this case and no stylus is supplied.

7. No dedicated joystick / navigator button for scrolling up/down or left/right. While moving the scrren many times I ended of selecting something un-intentionally. This may be a matter of adjusting.

8. Didn't fing any option of zooming the photos.

9, Photo clarity in Nokia 6275 was better than this mobile and 6275 has a flash that is missing in this phone.

10. When I paired phone with bluetooth headset and swith the visibility to off, the phone is still connected. If the bluetooth device is turned off and then turned on, it is not automatically paired. But in Nokia 6275 and Xperia I don't have this problem. Even though the phone is in invisible mode of bluetooth, the headset will be automaticalley connected when that is switched on.

In the end I decided, it is not worth replacing 6275 by this phone. May be some of new releases from Samsung will serve the purpose.

I feel, this phone will be liked for the younger generation for its look, UI and the inbuilt chat applicatins like facebook, twitter, etc.

great review,

thanks to focus on internet usage,

did u used OMH sim??? and activated EVDO plan? r u getting free usage og 5/10GB??

does hadset support opera mini?

as per samsung it support one touch photo zooming, check out www.samsungcdma.in

Now I am convinced that this is a useless piece of junk and a very bad decision. The differtiation factor as per me was the data speed but it does not work. I have tried with samsung and Relience (the tech team was very helpful). Reliance tech team has not even received the technical data for this phone but still the guys tried to see if there is some setting. The speed you get is max 110 kpps (yes and thsi was supposed to be 2.4 mbps). And yes I have a RUIM and data access everything. The PC studio is another piece of junk. Sometimes it just doesnt connect to the phone. The battery is like another one. If you are connected to internet the battery stays for 60 mins ( I am not kidding). The touch screen is also pretty bad. I have used HTC and Nokia and no wonder they are leaders. I am sure Mr Amir Khan doesnt use a samsung :)

I want to know if anyone has tried successfully HSD setting on Samsung Corby.

I called up CC on * 355

They told me to create a new profile from MENU>SETTING>APPLICATIONS>BROWSER

Then in settings give dialing number as #777. username and password as Phone number and leave all other settings as blank and choose the newly created profile.

Then they told me to dial *228 and after 4 hrs you can use your high speed connection.

On doing so the phone says "your number is already active" and after 40 secs a message comes on screen"Programming unsuccessful" and call disconnects.

On connecting( in wap browser or as modem on laptop) the nothing happens, the initial connection shows EV but immediately switches to 1X mode and I can't get the speeds.

Has any one successfully been able to get speeds over 2 mbps or even 1 mbps for that matter

tks

• Like 2

Man! Its heart breaking to see ppl buying this phone & later repenting..

Im surprised why @Hetal hasn't posted much after his initial tempting review - which could have made ppl buy it.

Im so disgusted with Samsung for having such a weak battery back-up which is probably the main reason for unpleasant experiences in this topic (apart from other good/bad features)..

I heard this company also makes batteries.. Can't they think plain & simple ??

Thinking of dumping this topic & stop encouraging any pro-corby discussions atleast from my side even if there are any.. what's the point ? Where's the battery back-up in the first place ?

But ppl who have bought can surely discuss, to help resolving their issues .. NOTriste.gif

^^^

Original products are always better if you are ready to pay,

Did seller took back from you, as road side seller never do this.

I just got it for trial from my friend, so no problem returned it back.

Now I am convinced that this is a useless piece of junk and a very bad decision. The differtiation factor as per me was the data speed but it does not work. I have tried with samsung and Relience (the tech team was very helpful). Reliance tech team has not even received the technical data for this phone but still the guys tried to see if there is some setting. The speed you get is max 110 kpps (yes and thsi was supposed to be 2.4 mbps). And yes I have a RUIM and data access everything. The PC studio is another piece of junk. Sometimes it just doesnt connect to the phone. The battery is like another one. If you are connected to internet the battery stays for 60 mins ( I am not kidding). The touch screen is also pretty bad. I have used HTC and Nokia and no wonder they are leaders. I am sure Mr Amir Khan doesnt use a samsung :)

This is a compromise phone. See for this price you get touch screen, bla bla and so many and you should compare this phone with a similar priced phone of Nokia or HTC having all this features

Hi,

I too bought the phone and was able to get the new RUIM from reliance for about Rs. 100. All applications work fine.

Do check with an alternate webworld.

I got a samsung corby cdma [sCH F339] and i am happy with it's basic functions and features but i am not able to access R World and any of the promised social networking sites! The error msg i get is "please upgrade your R-UIM in order to obtain data services".

I approached the Web world and the people were not even aware that this model has been launched, so they were not able to help me and on approaching the customer care she had registered the issue. I wonder what i shd do!

Hi u got the RUIM but how is the net speed and did you get the offer of 15 GB free data on reliance ?? I just cannot seem to be able to get that offer .pls reply yaar

Well i am using Motorola DROID and HTC Hero too. so did not get much time to use this Phone. used it for 15 days and chargeed it around 3 or 4 times in my tour to Gujarat after that fully charged it and kept for Backup Phone.

I am a little confused about the battery backup of the phone. In post #143 kumar_amit01 experienced a superior battery performance of 4hrs continous TT+12 hrs standby time.

Whereas according to ankur1986 he got a very average battery performance of just about 13 hrs with medium usge (Post #173)

Is this huge discrepancy due to some change in settings or technical issues?????????????

i had completely charged two and half days ago...now 2 bars are there..

i would have spoken around 60 ~ 70 mins and sent quite a few sms + R&D of phone settings...

so, under normal usage condition one should be getting 1.5 ~ 2 days of back up..but it would be better to check the battery life after few full charges.

since the back light goes off almost instantaneously, the battery life is somewhat increased...

My friend's Corby (GSM version with same features and battery capacity) works for only 10-12 hours after a full night charge! Poor show!

^^^ Battery must be having a defect..

10-12 hrs standby is not acceptable even by Pakistan's standards.

Submitted the phone at the Samsung service centre for poor battery backup. Found out that the memory card was the culprit. Without the memory card this phone works for 2-3 days. But discharges within few hours after the memory card is inserted. I request all the users who complain of low battery backup to try the phone after removing the card and post their experience.

Submitted the phone at the Samsung service centre for poor battery backup. Found out that the memory card was the culprit. Without the memory card this phone works for 2-3 days. But discharges within few hours after the memory card is inserted. I request all the users who complain of low battery backup to try the phone after removing the card and post their experience.

have u tried it.

bcoz this is std ans by samsung asc for battery prblem??

but without memory card wat is use of phone???

^^^

If it is true then This is an mfg fault...

Samsung should take all CDMA corby back or supply a patch for this.

^^^ What a shame..

If true, these guys deserve a spanking...

But 950mAh too is not good for a touch screen, no matter what the other defects are..

have u tried it.

bcoz this is std ans by samsung asc for battery prblem??

but without memory card wat is use of phone???

Yes! This is my first hand experience. The phone is not Corby Speed but the GSM Corby of my friend which is identical to Corby speed in all aspects. The Samsung service centre people are not willing to replace the memory card just because it is not mentioned 'separately' on the bill irrespective of the fact that it was supplied by Samsung in the sealed box. How stupid! What will happen if the charger would have been faulty; even that is not mentioned in the bill. I don't know whether the card is defective or there's a defect in the phone's system which accepts the card as I did not try with another memory card. My friend was so disappointed with the Samsung people that he sold his Corby with a loss and purchased a Nokia 5230 today. So no more testing is possible for me. But all you guys who own this set can experiment and let us know.

hey guys,

Is anyone having trouble with the free data card shipped with samsung corby.

I get errors after every 3-4 days saying there is a problem with the sim card. i just reinsert the card and it starts working again.

Also there is one new theory i got from a former samsung mobile engineer. he says if you keep you ringtone/wallpapers which are in use then it consumes more battery power and hence lesser battery backup in routine use...

Yes! This is my first hand experience. The phone is not Corby Speed but the GSM Corby of my friend which is identical to Corby speed in all aspects. The Samsung service centre people are not willing to replace the memory card just because it is not mentioned 'separately' on the bill irrespective of the fact that it was supplied by Samsung in the sealed box. How stupid! What will happen if the charger would have been faulty; even that is not mentioned in the bill. I don't know whether the card is defective or there's a defect in the phone's system which accepts the card as I did not try with another memory card. My friend was so disappointed with the Samsung people that he sold his Corby with a loss and purchased a Nokia 5230 today. So no more testing is possible for me. But all you guys who own this set can experiment and let us know.

So it seems, all service centre guys are BS people... I first thought only NOKIA CARE are the people who don't care about customers.. But now SAMSUNG too... :(

So it seems, all service centre guys are BS people... I first thought only NOKIA CARE are the people who don't care about customers.. But now SAMSUNG too... :(

Might be all of them are coming from nokia care(job change) :Contento: :Contento:

I bought Corby f339 on 15th Jan 2010. I am really really happy with handset.......................

Battery back up is very good(No problem experienced yet), other features are excellent.............

Cool handset..... :GirandoOjos:

^^^ We are waiting tongue.gif

well, it may sound stupid... but i should say this as i was complaining a lot about the battery... 2 days back i removed the memory card and reinserted it after few hours (as i gave it to my friend).. Now am now getting good battery backup... i have not charged the phone since i re-inserted the memory card (i.e. 2 days ago and it was approx. fully charged when i removed the memory card......)

I know its stupid... :PMay be there some other problem... But knowi think ... there some memory card issue with this phone.. Battery "can" last for 2 days..... can somebody else do the same thing and tell what happens....

:previous:

So the bundled memory card is culprit, from the many complaints of users here... Anyone using another memory card say 4GB Sandisk or any brand and saw better performance of Corby same as without a memory card??? If that is the case, we can easily manage the problems imho...

Still customer care executives have no update about OMH sim card. I called them again and asked about their free internet usage scheme on purchase of Samsung Corby and OMH sim card. They dont know when such scheme came and what the hell is this OMH sim card. One customer executive even said : "aap mobile pe internet use nahi kar sakte. agar aapko internet use karna hai to MBlaze le lijiye. Aur OMH sim card ki hamare pass koi update nahi hai.".......... Amazing.....

I have e-mailed MTS. Hope to get reply from them soon... :Equivocado: