Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
abhay

Bsnl Launched Broadband Service Data One!

THIS WAS THE ADVERTISEMENT I READ IN ECONOMIC TIMES OF

17 TH NOVEMBER 2004 , PG 9.

LOOK NO FURTHER

A TRULY  UNLIMITED
                                    TRULY AFFORDABLE 
                                   BROADBAND  SERVICE
                                        IS HERE

THAT WILL CHANGE THE WAY YOU THINK,
                                      WORK AND LIVE.

HASNT BEEN LAUNCHED YET !!!! FOXED :)

YEAH I WAS THE SAME WHEN i had read this advert in economic times AND i thought bsnl has launched broadband services lemme check out, if its avalible in mumbai and other details. but when i went through site it mentioned in the end that it was expected to lauch by december 2004

here is the link for it you guys can go and check it out http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone.htm

what kind of picture do these advertising guys create dataone launched .

lol aree atleast mention that its gonna be launched not yet launched

Edited by abhay

agree with you totally, i've been seeing the newspaper ads for a week, but no mention on their website..... but i think they have launched in a few cities and are accepting regitrations for the same...

lets wait and watch how it turns out to be

in case of bsnl what i last knew was it was first gonna lauch in gujrat. lauching in mumbai is new to me

now this is a great news

"What the customer needs in order to be able to use Broadband?

BSNL's Bfone (Basic phone) connection

Personel Computer with 10/100 Ethernet Port

ADSL CPE (Customer Premise Equipment). This can be taken from BSNL at nominal rental per month."

No registration charges i guess .. cos we already have a copper cable for bsnl phone..may be theyl provide another short cable for internet for no charge .. lets see

and abt the third point, googled up for ADSL CPE cost

found this link http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/shows...oryid=5047&s=ln

which had this to say

"Other than this, while taking up a new connection, users need to pay Rs.500 for the CPE (Customer Premise Equipment)"

its abt MTNL though .. and article dated march 2k4 .. so i guess it wont b more than 500

Now im sure the monthly rates for bsnl broad wont b more than wat we r paying now.. im paying 800 p.m for 48kbps connection

but i wonder if theyre gonna put a download limit

what do u undertsand by these two :

"# To provide a means to bill for the aforesaid services by either time-based or volume-based billing. It shall provide the customer with the option to select the services through web server

# To provide both pre-paid and post paid broadband services"

theyre from the bsnl link given above

wonder if those two points imply that the billing wud be based on volume of download.

any idea?

and ya .. moderators pls dont move this thread to some other location .. even though this is not abt netway, its helping us share info .. so in the intrest of users, i hope u wont move this thread to another place

the two points are pretty self explanatory.

Time bound, means billing will be based on Minutes of usage and Volume bound means billing will be on amount of data transferred (i.e downstream only).

But these days broadband operators do not charge for Time Bound, otherwise the very concept of "always on" internet is defeated. These days ISPs charge for the bandwidth opted for and/or amount of data transferred. Most operators would keep on the cap of amount of data transferred as they (i.e the ISPs) themselves are billed by Gateways on the basis of volume of data transfered.

But since BSNL has already set up (and also reliance) its own gateway, it'll be interesting to see what their pricing would be.

it 100% means good speeds but a download limit now reliance NETWAY is our only way out for unlimilted data transfer with good speeds :help:

with this i think if reliance comes up with something good then other isps also will cut off price's its just a matter of time.

by the way guys call up reliance netway customer care n register ur name over there for a netway connection as soon as it launches in your area may be u get a prefrence in installing it. i have done my homework now its ur time , looking @ bsnl's POA i dont think it would be worth @least for me taking bsnl broadband :confuse:

reliance's broadband plan is has unlimited data transfer

wonder wats up with bsnl

19425[/snapback]

But reliance's broadband speed is very slow, it is not currently broadband[64 kpps]

whereas bsnl's starting speed will be 256kbps,so if bsnl is not imposing a stupid download limit ,it will be better than reliance

:):clap:

....as they (i.e the ISPs) themselves are billed by Gateways on the basis of volume of data transfered.

19389[/snapback]

That is absolute non-sense. ISPs are NEVER and i mean NEVER billed for the amount of data transferred. They are billed ONLY for the bandwidth they buy from the international backbones! So if some ISP(not small time guys) in India tells you that he is being billed by the amount of data transfer his network generates then just shoot him at the very instant! Because he is lying! :clap:

Both Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) will launch the Broadband Services through out the country from 15th of January, next year.

While MTNL will launch the services in Delhi and Mumbai, BSNL will do it from Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad on the same day.

source:

http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=5801

now its confirmed that we'l get 256kbps speed for rs.500 a month.

now we have to see wat would be the download limit

Source: IndiaDaily

BSNL, MTNL to launch high-speed Internet

Dec. 18, 2004

India's two state-run telephone companies will start high-speed Internet services from Jan. 15 at about a sixth of the prevailing prices, a government statement said on Friday. Communications Minister Dayanidhi Maran told a parliamentary group that Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. will launch services with speeds of 256 kilobits per second (Kbps) in six Indian cities in January. "Though the 256 Kbps (connection) costs 3,000 rupees ($68) in the market, the telecom public sector undertakings have agreed to provide the same services at 500 rupees a month," the statement quoted Maran as telling members of the consultative committee. Internet users currently pay about 750 rupees for a 100-hour dial-up connection running at 50 Kbps. The statement said MTNL will roll out the services in its markets of New Delhi and Bombay while Bharat Sanchar Nigam, which provides phone services in the rest of the country, will offer them in Calcutta, Madras, Bangalore and Hyderabad. Bharat Sanchar Nigam and Mahanagar Telephone compete with Bharti Tele-Ventures Ltd., the Tata group and Reliance Infocomm Ltd., owned by the powerful Reliance conglomerate. Internet penetration in India is a low 0.4 percent while broadband penetration is pegged at 0.02 percent, though the government wants to boost usage through a new broadband policy announced in October by reducing prices. India, with more than a billion people and one of the fastest growing major mobile phone markets, has set a target of 3 million broadband and 6 million Internet users by next December.

....as they (i.e the ISPs) themselves are billed by Gateways on the basis of volume of data transfered.

19389[/snapback]

That is absolute non-sense. ISPs are NEVER and i mean NEVER billed for the amount of data transferred. They are billed ONLY for the bandwidth they buy from the international backbones! So if some ISP(not small time guys) in India tells you that he is being billed by the amount of data transfer his network generates then just shoot him at the very instant! Because he is lying! :)

19754[/snapback]

You are right: ISP's are charged based on the bandwidth they get from their International Backbone providers. But the fact is there has to be a compromise between speed and Download limit.

What i mean to say is this: ISP's have to perform some kind capacity planning. That is the bandwidth they get (from the Backbone) must be equal to the sum of the bandwidth they provide to all their subscribers.

Now, if a ISP allows 256Kbps bandwidth at unlimited download to say, 100 of its customers. then its got to have a 25600Kbps of backbone data transfer speed. This is not practically possible if the no of customers go up.

So i believe that this is the only problem what the ISP here in INDIA must be facing. You see with such huge population, the backbone speed will have to increase exponentially.

So better not to expect any better deal from BSNL. THERE IS CERTAINLY GOING TO BE A DOWNLOAD LIMIT.

At the moment I think no one other than Reliance is offering a better deal.

Now let's think a little wisely. Rather than considering the download speed that the ISP's provide. Let's try to calculate the maximum amount of data that we could download per month.

I connection with the discussion on : "who offers fastest net connectivity?" it is clear that there in no one at the moment offering better than 3 GB of download per month. There are some cable walas here and there. And the Asianet cable down south, who are quite impressive. The rest is all the same.

BSNL wallas must have considered all this. And remember Tata offering 512Kbps at a very cheap download limit. I feel same must be the case with BSNL.

If they wish to sell their product they could be going for a 3 or 3.5 GB download limit. But are still below our expectations. I feel it's all cheap strategies that they are using : CREATE A HYPE and OFFER NOTHING.

I think there is only one who can change our days. And that is Reliance itself. But they too sticking to their too cheap 'OwnerShip Issues', I think none can save us.

the whole picture will be clear when BSNL launches its plan. lets hope bsnl dosent b a FOOL by givind a download limit of say 500 mb or 1 gb.

till now reliance's offering is the best!!!!!!! :)

There will be a download limit for sure, otherwise they are gonna get bankrupt soon.. But wat we got to fear is how much it would be :D

You are right: ISP's are charged based on the bandwidth they get from their International Backbone providers. But the fact is there has to be a compromise between speed and Download limit.

What i mean to say is this: ISP's have to perform some kind capacity planning. That is the bandwidth they get (from the Backbone) must be equal to the sum of the bandwidth they provide to all their subscribers.

Now, if a ISP allows 256Kbps bandwidth at unlimited download to say, 100 of its customers. then its got to have a 25600Kbps of backbone data transfer speed. This is not practically possible if the no of customers go up.

So i believe that this is the only problem what the ISP here in INDIA must be facing. You see with such huge population, the backbone speed will have to increase exponentially.

So better not to expect any better deal from BSNL. THERE IS CERTAINLY GOING TO BE A DOWNLOAD LIMIT.

At the moment I think no one other than Reliance is offering a better deal.

22485[/snapback]

My friend, Broadband the world over is almost always unlimited. Programs like kazaa, overnet, Mirc, torrent wouldnt have been hugely successful had there been no unlimited broadband. My bro in UK has 1 Mbps unltd adsl from aol u.k. for 25 pounds (rs 2100) per month. My sis in Hongkong has 3 Mbps Unltd Adsl from Netvigator for about 200 Hkd (rs 1200) per month People in Japan are getting 30 Mbps from yahoo broadband and here we are in india still dreaming about 256 Kbps that also limited !

I think the mindset of the service providers in india needs to be changed and we consumers should not settle for anything less than Int'l standards. Companies like VSNL and reliance have acquired whole international underground fiber-optic networks like Tyco Global networks, and Flag Telecom. There is no reason for them not to provide high speed unltd broadband. I think a player like google in Email is needed for broadband in india and the rest will be history.

Check out this link http://www.vinuthomas.com/article233.html

My sis in Hongkong has 3  Mbps Unltd Adsl from Netvigator for about 200 Hkd (rs 1200) per month

22577[/snapback]

Netvigator has a 100 hour cap for its 'upto 3M' offering. Additional hours @ HKD 2 per hour.

My sis in Hongkong has 3  Mbps Unltd Adsl from Netvigator for about 200 Hkd (rs 1200) per month

22577[/snapback]

Netvigator has a 100 hour cap for its 'upto 3M' offering. Additional hours @ HKD 2 per hour.

22655[/snapback]

There is a difference between actually signing up for the service and reading about it on the website. What is given on the website is only a description and there's no cap on the actual plan whatsoever. Give me your mail and i can send the whole contract.

Hutchinson is offering 10 Mbps (SDSL ie symmetric DSL) in the same city for about 125 HKD.

No big international ISP went bankrupt providing high speed broadband, why should it, then , happen to Indian companies :angry: ?

22577[/snapback]

22655[/snapback]

There is a difference between actually signing up for the service and reading about it on the website.

22711[/snapback]

Really?! That's bad marketing.

22711[/snapback]

Really?! That's bad marketing.

22731[/snapback]

Yes it is.

Donno why the hell they dont put it up clearly on the website that they have waived the limit and prevent users from being misled.