Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

India 3G Auctions Winners

Superb Tactical Decision by Reliance It have Aggressively Bidded Where Less Tower / More People and more Congestion is there even though 4G comes. (This is even more Pressurized GSM People for Spectrum in this Circle)

and became Defensive in Circle where too Heavy Roll out Expenses with Less Revenue.

EVDO Rocks Reliance be ready for Digital Dividend Spectrum in 700mhz for LTE (4G)

2100 is very weak in Coverage only Ideal for Delhi Mumbai but in Scarce area this even require more Tower even though there is no users under it.

Maha-tata,idea,vodafone

So Idea will have 3G in Maharashtra. Their 2G data plans are untouchable... I wonder how they are going to price 3G services. Equivocado.gif

I think same for my MAH Idea Number !

Superb Tactical Decision by Reliance It have Aggressively Bidded Where Less Tower / More People and more Congestion is there even though 4G comes. (This is even more Pressurized GSM People for Spectrum in this Circle)

and became Defensive in Circle where too Heavy Roll out Expenses with Less Revenue.

EVDO Rocks Reliance be ready for Digital Dividend Spectrum in 700mhz for LTE (4G)

2100 is very weak in Coverage only Ideal for Delhi Mumbai but in Scarce area this even require more Tower even though there is no users under it.

for 3G alloted frequency is in band 1900Mhz...

is'nt is same as 2G band??

i have a doubt?

will winning 3G at this price bring profit to the operators? :confuse:

so who will pay for the loss 2G users? :NOTriste:

^^Bope. 3G is through 2100Mhz or 2.1Ghz.

Check the frequency allocation on the list...

It is in the range of 1954-1979MHz, not in 2.1Ghz

Everything as I expected, except for my home circle TN... In TN, only Aircel, Voda and Airtel only... I expected Docomo here..

So for 3G data, I have no other way than using my existing BSNL number... For data services, I have to depend on Photon+ or BSNL EV-DO card..

I am NOT too excited about 3G from the beginning and so very little disappointments for me..

I am also not too keen on 3G for the moment. BSNL services are junk - they were off for four days in Leh and then intermittent. If I called my daughter (974 Kolkata) I got network error, and she got a missed call. sms was not sent as per my phone while she received it. Took six attempts (repeated disconnects) to talk to my son (Reliance Karnataka. I am just waiting for number portability to come in before getting rid of my BSNL connection. Reliance is great - I hear they are putting up towers in Kashmir as well and should be there soon.

Also, BSNL 3G will not work in MTNL area!

I guess the Telcos will go for aome sort of roaming arrangements on 3G also for an effective Pan India footprint.

Edited by sgiitk

Here are the statistics at the end of 3G auction

1 Pan-India License cost :: 16,750.58 Cr

Total revenue to Govt :: 50,968.37 Cr (without including BSNL & MTNL)

:: 67,718.95 Cr (if BSNL and MTNL pays at auction price)

Contribution by operator-wise

Airtel :: 12,295.46 Cr (for 13 circles)

Vodafone :: 11,617.86 Cr (for 9 circles)

Reliance :: 8,585.04 Cr (for 13 circles)

Aircel :: 6,499.46 Cr (for 13 circles)

TATA :: 5,864.29 Cr (for 9 circles)

Idea :: 5,768.59 Cr (for 11 Circles)

STel :: 337.67 Cr (for 3 circles)

Aircel has done the cleverest move of all the operators.

Aircel is the only operator who has acquired the spectrum in contiguous geography.

They have spectrum for all the service areas in East and South.

In the East, from UP(E) to Arunachal Pradesh ( UP(E),Bihar,WestBengal,Kolkata,Assam,NorthEast)

In the South, From Orissa to Tamilnadu ( Orissa, AndhraPradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, TamilNadu)

Aircel is the only operator to have got spectrum in all south Indian states of Kerala, Karnataka, TamilNadu and AndhraPradesh

:clap: :clap: :clap:

TATA & Reliance can go in for roaming agreement. Unfortunately both of them have not won in TamilNadu, AndhraPradesh and UP(E).

Edited by kesav
  • Like 2

No reliance 3G in karnataka :NOTriste:

in karnataka, rcom don't have catch, so neglected by rcom. aircel tried to cover full south.

No Vodafone 3G in bangalore :( :( :(

Now thats breaking news for all vodafone customers in garden city....

Airtel...here i come!

Airtel is number one so got license, voda is number 2, so neglected.

I'm really really surprised by Aircel.

Aircel is the player to watch for future.

AIRCEL dont' have money. they will MERGE with some newer operator like uninot or etisalat or XYZ, so grab max circle with less price, and have donimnat market share including TN, and coverd south for uniformity.

So 3g may not be from aircel, it may be from new MERGE entity.

consolidation takes place and aircel will be first target. bcoz 14player can't operate in one state.

Means cdma guys will compete very aggressively as no license fees. And reliance gsm will enter backdoor.

Whr is backdoor, no chance for relience.

For all India 3G coverage

BSNL is the only option

NO, u have depend on MTNL in mumbai and delhi, till now only agreement is passed for roaming between two.

With entry of rcom,airtel in mumbai and delhi, MTNL's jadoo can't do any MAGIC.

tata miss the train of 3g in TOP metro.

As the 3G auction has ended now focus will be on BWA auction.

I foresee Qualcomm and TATA communications to bid very agressively.

There are 11 players bidding for 2 slots in each circle. It'll be really interesting.

I'm sure there'll be background funding by Intel for the players to pip Qualcomm.

Background:: Intel wants to push Wimax and Qualcomm wants to push LTE

We'll wait and watch.....

Edited by kesav

Reactions

Aircel says 3G win will aid companys data strategy

GSM-based service provider, Aircel which off late is focusing on mobile data services, said that the companys successful bid for 3G spectrum in 13 circles will greatly aid the mobile data services strategy of the company.

After several rounds of competitive bidding, Aircel has bagged 13 telecom circles in 3G for Rs. 6500 crores which will allow us to take our Data Strategy to the next level. This further opens new revenue opportunities and gives way to a dynamic Business Model. We now cover the whole of Southern and Eastern belt where we have our strong presence and in J&K, Punjab & UP (East) as well. With this we will be able to offer seamless connectivity and meaningful products and services to our consumers which will eventually change their life and open a world of possibilities, said Mr. Gurdeep Singh, COO, Aircel.

source :: http://telecomtiger.com/3G_fullstory.aspx?storyid=9182&section=S208

Qualcomm statement on 3G auction completion

"Qualcomm congratulates the Indian Government on successful completion of 3G auctions, a milestone that places India in a select league of nations with market determined spectrum pricing. We congratulate Bharti, Vodafone, Reliance, Tata, Idea, Aircel, and STel for their well-deserved wins in 3G auctions and look forward to collaborating with them to bring world-class voice and mobile broadband experience to Indian consumers. Qualcomm is itself pleased with the opportunity to now address the entire Indian wireless market with its innovations in 3G and beyond, and is committed to making 3G a mass market experience for all Indian consumers," said Kanwalinder Singh, president Qualcomm India and South Asia.

source:: http://telecomtiger.com/3G_fullstory.aspx?storyid=9188&flag=1&passfrom=topstory&section=S208

Bharti admits that 3G bid prices unreasonable

Bharti Airtel which won 3G spectrum in 13 circles including the top two competitive circles of Delhi and Mumbai said that the final prices very indeed unreasonable.

We would like to point out that the auction format and severe spectrum shortage along with ensuing policy uncertainty, drove the prices beyond reasonable levels. As a result, we could not achieve our objective of pan India 3G footprint in this round, said a company statement.

Bharti Airtel has emerged successful in Delhi, Mumbai, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, UP West, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Assam, North East and Jammu & Kashmir.

Its total outflow comes up to Rs. 12,295.46 crores.

source:: http://telecomtiger.com/3G_fullstory.aspx?storyid=9183&flag=1&passfrom=topstory&section=S208

RCom claims best 3G footprint

Reliance Communications bagged 3G spectrum in 13 circles including Delhi and Mumbai as well as category C circles.

The company said that it has won 3G spectrum in all circles where it has GSM spectrum in the 900 MHz band. It has bagged 3G in all circles under category C circles for sub-Rs.500 crore.

The company further said that when considered its CDMA presence, it emerges as among the top 3 with highest coverage in WCDMA.

RCOM plans to strongly leverage its media, gaming, cinema and broadcasting capabilities to offer its customers a unique true 3G experience, said the company.

source:: http://telecomtiger.com/3G_fullstory.aspx?storyid=9189&flag=1&passfrom=topstory&section=S208

TTSL Statement on 3G auction completion

"The TTSL management is very delighted with the outcome of the 3G spectrum auction, especially as we have bagged the best telecom Circles from the perspective of their cumulative market potential, particularly so when we take into consideration the overall spend on these."

"Significantly, we have covered the entire geography of prosperous India on the Western side, while there is no entanglement with Category 'C' circles-- therefore, this has proven to be a most capex-optimized bidding for us."

"TTSL did pursue the major metros in the country, but decided to drop out of the bidding when the sheer outlay made these a winner's curse..."

TTSL management is heartened by the outcome of the bidding process and now hopes that the rules of the auction will not be changed mid-way."

source:: http://telecomtiger.com/3G_fullstory.aspx?storyid=9192&flag=1&passfrom=topstory&section=S208

Edited by kesav

Who is the real winner??

:confuse:

Government and the babus!!!

Just open some airwaves frequency and ask all the Telcos to pay money to use "something in air" and provide service to subscribers...Nothing else even the infrastructure to provide these services are also to be built by Telcos..

So increase in license cost only ensures that Telcos squeeze all these license money from subscribers to ensure profits.. God knows when these guys will break even.. Now there will be a second round of auction soon for new players like videocon, Etisalat etc..Again more money to Government..Our babus know how to take a major part of these sum by "Formulating Policies". Good going Raja Sir..

^^^

There so many users in India who use only call and txt, even most of them never used 2g internet on their mobile.

3g is going to be expensive matter , just wait for the rates . even some people waiting for 3G will not go after seeing the rates.

:previous:

Yes, Hitesh Bhai... I am one among them (waiting for 3G and NOT happy with the possible pricing)...

Edited by KanagaDeepan

As expected TATA and Reliance were not agressive since they've EvDO route.

Good to know that 3G auctions have been completed.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

does EVDO support video calling??? if not then 3G is better.

No reliance 3G in karnataka :NOTriste:

Karnrtaka is neglected by rcom, bcoz, Rcom concntrated only on metro and RTL circle. also aircel placed higher bid to complete FULL south coverage.

No Vodafone 3G in bangalore :( :( :(

Now thats breaking news for all vodafone customers in garden city....

Airtel...here i come!

airtel is nomber 1 in karnataka, and vodafone is number 2, so it got neglected by vodafone.

So this means if my operator has not won 3G spectrum, then for using 3G I have to move to another operator or will there be any other arrangement?

U have chnge operator, and i am damm sure it MNP will start before 3g roll out. so don't worry wait

or move to BSNL 3g.

I'm really really surprised by Aircel.

Aircel is the player to watch for future.

Aircel is planning to sell it to other company, or MERGE with new or old operator, Aircel didn't have money to pay for 3G, they had won in ONLY THOSE CIRCLE, WHERE THEY ARE AMONG TOP player. like TN,orrisa, NE, assam, and other circle to complete south and east roll out.

So at the time of valuation, with Good number of subsciber and 3G network they can get valution 3-5times more that they paid for 3g.

I was quite surprised that Etisalat DB has not won even a SINGLE circle!

I expected them to bag atleast 3-4 'A' Circles...

they are not able to launch service, why would they go for 3G,

The main objective of operator is to get spectum, as 2G spectum will also cost same rate as that of 3g.

So opetor like rcom is not having sufficint spetum in OLD RTL circle are getting 3G.

Etisalat already have satrt up spetum, which is more than sufficint for next 1 year.

For all India 3G coverage

BSNL is the only option

no for mumbai delhi get MTNL

^^^

There so many users in India who use only call and txt, even most of them never used 2g internet on their mobile.

3g is going to be expensive matter , just wait for the rates . even some people waiting for 3G will not go after seeing the rates.

In metro and category A circle, customer can pay high for 3g and operator turn into profit.

ONE COMMON STRATEGY BY ALL OPERATOR

convert old subsciber onto 3g network, and add more subsciber in 2g like pipeline "old get's out of 2g network and new gets added into 2g spectuem"

2G spetrum is not available easily for evry circle top player, so opting for 3G.

In none of case except AIRCEL, all lincese are went to operator having presence from long time .

Who is the real winner??

:confuse:

Government and the babus!!!

Just open some airwaves frequency and ask all the Telcos to pay money to use "something in air" and provide service to subscribers...Nothing else even the infrastructure to provide these services are also to be built by Telcos..

So increase in license cost only ensures that Telcos squeeze all these license money from subscribers to ensure profits.. God knows when these guys will break even.. Now there will be a second round of auction soon for new players like videocon, Etisalat etc..Again more money to Government..Our babus know how to take a major part of these sum by "Formulating Policies". Good going Raja Sir..

You said it!! And it is labelled as revenue for the government and its %$@!& babus. Let us never forget that all that revenue is ultimately looted from subscriber's pockets.

TRAI says 3G auction bidding 'sensible'

The 3G auction has ended today as the all-India licence was last bid for Rs 16,751 crore. After the 34 days of hectic auction and 184 rounds of bidding, the government has garnered revenue worth Rs 67,719 crore.

As analyst and experts argue on the auction, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman JS Sarma

says there was not any insensible bidding.

He adds, "The telecom companies knew why they were bidding at that price. We should respect the market discovered price. We do not think there was any insensible bidding. It would be interesting to watch the packages offered by the telcos."

source:: http://bteubsnl.blogspot.com/2010/05/trai-says-3g-auction-bidding-sensible.html

Now for a difference, I want to show the circles missed by the operator, in the following list:-

AIRTEL:- Mah+Goa, Gujarat, Kolkata, Kerala, Punjab, Haryana, MP+CG, UP(E), Orissa

VODAFONE:- AP, Karnataka, Kerala, Punjab, MP+CG, Rajastan, UP(W), HP, BIH+JKnd, NE, Assam, Orissa, Kashmir

IDEA:- Delhi, Mumbai, Karnataka, TN, Kolkata, Rajastan, WBengal, BIH+JKnd, NE, Assam, Orissa

If Airtel and Vodafone joined hands, they will still miss MP+CG, Kerala and Orissa... Even if the CARTEL tried (A+V+I) they will miss ORISSA circle.. Interestingly A+V can also select Docomo, instead of Idea to accomplish the same.. They need help of S-Tel/Aircel for Orissa.. (Even if Airtel+Voda joined hands with Aircel, they can't provide service in MP+CG).

R_Gsm:- Mah+Goa, Gujarat, AP, TN, Karnataka, Kerala, Haryana, UP(W), UP(E)

Docomo:- Delhi, Mumbai, AP, TN, Kolkata, WBengal, UP(E), HP, Bih+JKnd, NE, Assam, Kashmir, Orissa

Aircel:- Delhi, Mumbai, Mah+Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, MP+CG, Rajastan, UP(W), HP

If Tata and Ambani joins, they can't cover AP, TN, UP(E).. But if RGsm+Docomo+Aircel joined, they can cover PAN-INDIA.. Similarly with the help of Aircel, Ambani+Birla can also cover PAN-INDIA..

FEW OBSERVATIONS:-

1. Only IDEA has FULL-UttarPradesh (E&W) 3G coverage..

2. Only Vodafone has 3G service in both Mumbai & Maharashtra..

3. 3G providers in Kolkata, has also service in WestBengal, so Kolkata people need not worry..

4. Vodafone means BUSINESS, very seriously.. They are the only one who covered all A & most B and NO C circles, almost.. If they were equally aggressive on C-s, then price of C circles also would have soared high..

5. RGsm didn't care about south circles at all, which obviously, helped Aircel much..

6. RGsm is the most lucky new operator, as they either got 3G spectrum in SMALL+DENSE circles (read Metros) or in circles where they already have 900MHz 2G spectrum (So that its 3G customers will get atleast 2G signals in non-3G areas)

7. THE BEST THING OF 3G AUCTION IS THAT, Airtel+Vodafone is NOT enough.. Either they need IDEA or Docomo to cover 21 out of 22 circles and S-Tel/Aircel for the last circle Orissa..

8. RGsm can either join Docomo or Idea WITH Aircel to give PAN-INDIA service..

9. Docomo needs help of RGsm + Aircel to ensure FULL 3G roaming for its customers, else they have to join Airtel+Vodafone+STel to accomplish the same..

A. AIRCEL can NEVER be avoided by any group to give PAN-INDIA service, except by the BIG combination of Airtel+Vodafone+Idea/Docomo+STel..

B. People, FRET NOT.. Atleast RGsm or Docomo is present in almost all (19) circles (except AP, TN, UP_E, where atleast Aircel is present)

============================

Hope, this helps..

Thanks Friends...

Edited by KanagaDeepan

:previous: great observations... at the end, there is no 'one' operator who has foot over all the circles... good going... Now to wait for the pricing details from the private people...

:previous:

Good one buddy.

Stel missing in the maps.

First 3 in one roaming agreement (Aircel,TATA,RCOM)

Next 4 in another roaming agreement (Airtel,Vodafone,Idea,Stel(for Orissa))

Stel is the only operator to have won in all their operating circles.

Edited by kesav

4. Vodafone means BUSINESS, very seriously.. They are the only one who covered all A & most B and NO C circles, almost.. If they were equally aggressive on C-s, then price of C circles also would have soared high..

Not correct.

Vodofone has not won in A circles of Andhra and Karnataka.

Infact no operator has won all A circles.

In contrary Reliance has not won any A circles.

For pan India 3G coverage, go in for TATA Indicom, RCDMA, MTS, BSNL/MTNL (EVDO route) or BSNL/MTNL(HSDPA route).

I hope soon TRAI will clear the air on additional carrier requirements of EvDO sooner than later.

Someone has raised the question whether video call is possible on EvDO.

It's very much possible from EVDO Rev. A

Fragmented 3G auction (for HSDPA) has clearly given edge to EVDO.