Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ani_meher

Guide: Saving Money On Home Appliance

This is NOT a spam thread. This thread is genuine money saving guide for many people like me, who like good stuff, but are careful about price too.

About the topic in hand, as to how to save money on home appliance. When we buy anything, the price is MRP, that is, Maximum Retail Price. The name itself puts me off! I like to buy at MINIMUM Retail Price, not maximum! So this tip will save a lot of precious thousands.

I was getting bugged by wife for a frige at home. We selected Samsung 230 liters single door, because the 190 and 210 liters contain two racks, and 230 one contains 3. Also, we had no use for huge ice compartment, so focussed on the single doors alone. It costed some 14000rs with stand, without bargain. With bargain, a couple hundred less.

Then I started hunting the market. Usually when the buyers buy at MRP, they want their products to be spotless, not even a thumbprint. So if the product gets damaged in transit, it is scrapped completely. But what defines a damage? You will be surprised to know, that even a one inch light scratch classifies the product is damaged! Such so called 'scrap' pieces are bought by dealers who may retouch the appliance and sell, or even directly sell without bothering to do anything more. Such products are available for atlest 30% discount than MRP.

I found such store in Pune :) It takes patience and hope to wait for your product to arrive at them , because product availabiity is more of luck than surity for them. But luckily, the same fridge was in stock with them, and I got it shipped at home for 10k :) a cool 4000 rs saving on a brand new stuff.

With Samsung, the warranty is covered by company, so I got as much warranty as a showroom piece would get. YOu have to really look hard to notice the small dent on the front left. We couldn't find it for a long time, then when he brought the fridge out in open, then in sunlight we sat the dent. 4k for a small dent is good compensation I think :)

For future reference, I checked out a Samsung 22inch LCD TV. It was costing some 16-18k in the market. There, it has some scratches on the bottom button panel, and thus was scrapped. It was costing 12K with Samsung warranty! Now I know where I'd be heading if I am planning to buy a TV!

They had many such stuffs, microwave ovens, TVs, washing machines, fridges etc. Only Samsung gives company warranty on such items, other companies don't provide any warranty. In that case, the dealer himself provides the warranty, but how reliable can that be is a question.

So anyways, I hope this tip would save you good amount of money. I will NOT be putting the name of that dealer here because I don't want to advertise free of cost! He is on Pune-Wagholi road. You may PM me for name and number.

I hope someone will be able to offer me similar tip on saving money on Chevrolet Spark in Pune! Anyone?

Edited by ani_meher

hi could you help me how to locate such shop in delhi/noida

Thats close to what is called refurbished

in kol we have many Factory 2nd shops from where u can buy at cheap but most of the time they are brandnew but outdated models

Thats close to what is called refurbished

Tanveer this is not refurbished. In refurbished there is always some internal part or outer body change is involved. Here nothing is replaced or changed and mainly the outer surface damage is kept as it is and due to which you are getting a discount.

in kol we have many Factory 2nd shops from where u can buy at cheap but most of the time they are brandnew but outdated models

Hi Parin,

can you me the addresses of Factory 2nd shops in Kolkata? I want to visit there.

Good initiative.

I have seen shops in Vikhroli and Jogeshwari in Mumbai. Same concept. So if one can accept a little damage/scratch, it saves a bigger scratch on pocket.

WOrd of Caution:- Some of them are DEMO pieces in exhibitions & have been passed thru Hundred hands .... Better fully inspect such pieces.

Not to say that they are used... but if its a refrigerator for example... it might have been opened & closed sevral hundred times before actual use begins.... Not necessary that all pieces are like that. But use yr judgement in such cases.

There is one ship near Nandani in Palace Guttahalli in bangalore in case anyone wants to check it.

[No I've never purchased anything or visited that shop ever.]

yeh manish

please give some address of shops in vikroli and jogeshwari.

Good to be in the Company of like minded ppl..

I don't remember when was the last time i made blind purchases @ MRP.

Iether buy from Croma with extended warranty which hardly any other store offers..

Else, carefully buy stuff from Brand Factory type stores

OR bulk buy during festive offers.

Just be very careful before purchase & identify any cosmetic damages if any..

Don't get into gyan given by other stores about "oh that is Off-season sale"., will you not wear the same shirt/clothes for coming 1-2 years if bought during 'On season' ?

I also want to buy a washing machine. So if I can save some money by checking it properly then it would be really good. If there are any such shops in Mumbai do let me know their name and address would like to visit them and check it out.