Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums

More than the distance, you have to consider blockages in between like buildings, etc. The BSNL guys will check for the signal strength at your place and they will suggest what type of connection to take.

Things won't be rosy all the time with BSNL WiMAX as I have seen the download and upload speed to vary a lot often. Sometimes I get only 1 mbps download speed while at other times I get up to 2 mbps. For upload speed as well I see 256 kbps at certain times while up to 2 mpbs at other times.

BSNL WiMAX is my 3rd backup connection, so I don't use it all the time. I will check what speed I am getting tonight and update this post.

kbps = kilobits per second

mpbs = megabits per second

The indoor and outdoor unit connects to PC using LAN port.

@ arun (admin)

waiting for your speed test report...

if its good i will take one.

I have tested now and got 1.2 mbps average download speed while downloading with Flashget and 355 kbps average upload speed with FTP client.

Lets activate WIMAX on EVO arun Are you ready for Research

Yup, up and ready! I have the "Engineering" option enabled in my WiMAX modem configuration page which is used for advanced configuration and testing by the technicians. Oh btw I don't have a EVO though just the Incredible :/

I have tested now and got 1.2 mbps average download speed while downloading with Flashget and 355 kbps average upload speed with FTP client.

ohh so it has low upload speed. u said u r half kms from tower and now u getting only 1mbps for download why?

so upload is with in 512 kbps, its very bad.

I tried testing now and got around average 2 mbps download and upload speed. So it just varies at different times.

Dear Arun,

if you can get old Nokia Tablet N880WiMax edition (but that uses Maemo Linux), you can check the WiMax... I think eBay will help here..

@arun

What Wimax uses for Authentication

MAC ID, Auth Code, MEID, ESN Device ID ???

How it Authenticate your Device meet BSNL guys tell them about Wimax of EVO

anyway EVO Wimax have Different Binaries for Wimax so it difficult to change it rather its easy to Register it at BSNL

i own a BSNL UTSTARCOM WA3002G4 modem come router. is it possible to share wimax with using that to connect to my another computer?

if not shall there any other routers with wifi and lanports available, how much it costs?.

Yes, any router would do for sharing

today the wimax guys came and checked the feasibility at my home. wow 1.5+ MBPS speed. nice... i didnt think that i will get that much speed. then i went to bsnl CSC and paid 2000rs and bring the modem and all things. i need to wait 2 days bcoz tomorrow is sunday. so need to wait to monday for account. after that i will also write a review.

ohh no y this only happen to me always....

i got the wimax account, but the problem is cant login. after contacting the installation guys after 4 hours they find that the problem is while giving me account they mistaken my macid. so the macid and username doesnt match. so need to wait one more day. they send request to banglore. so i think tomorrow it will be ok.

the same thing happen when i take tataphoton+. they activate a number and givme me the post paid connection number after 2 weeks i try to register the site for checking the usage i cant. after that they give me another number and said this is the number activated on my tataphoton+.

Edited by ATHUL4R

yahooooooo my wimax account activated. now getting 1.5mbps speed. but slow in browsing.

:previous: Great!

Try using external/manual DNS servers in your PC like 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3

how to use DNS?

can u explain a little more.

thanks for the info...

I am from Ernakulam. Applied for BSNL Wi Max last week. While applying I opt for indoor CPE. Today one JTO came home for checking the feasibility. He was measuring the feasibility by seeing the signal strength LED's on the CPE. He told that getting 3 "lights" is very good. I was getting on-off 1 , 2 & 3 lights. Just browsed some sites and speed looked ok. He suggested me to go for outdoor CPE. Not decided yet. What do u guys suggest ?

What is the signal strength shown (in dB) in your CPE diagnostic page?

Dear Arun,

Did BSNL is giving WiMax connection in Thrissur Circle, Alagappanagar Exchange area? Please confirm, as I'm in Bahrain, and planning to come on vacation on December, then I want to purchase it from BSNL. And how many days it will take after giving the application?

That JTO was interested in seeing the signal strength lights only. He didn't took the modem diagnostic page at all.

I am planning to go with outdoor CPE , as I am planning this conn for a backup.

I have one ADSL wifi modem. Can I use that modem along with BSNL wimax for Wifi purpose ? Or do I need to buy one Wifi router ?

How much one Wifi router costs ?

Dear Arun,

Did BSNL is giving WiMax connection in Thrissur Circle, Alagappanagar Exchange area? Please confirm, as I'm in Bahrain, and planning to come on vacation on December, then I want to purchase it from BSNL. And how many days it will take after giving the application?

As of now Thrissur is under the list of proposed towns, should launch there soon. I was able to get the connection active in 2 - 3 days; I think they say within 48 hours after giving the application.

That JTO was interested in seeing the signal strength lights only. He didn't took the modem diagnostic page at all.

I am planning to go with outdoor CPE , as I am planning this conn for a backup.

I have one ADSL wifi modem. Can I use that modem along with BSNL wimax for Wifi purpose ? Or do I need to buy one Wifi router ?

How much one Wifi router costs ?

Yes, if you are seeing 3 lights for internal CPE then outdoor CPE will give you better coverage. Which Wifi modem do you have? As long as it has a router it should work.

Arun,

Thanks for the info. I have one Beetel Wifi Modem ( Which I got from Airtel Broad Band connection ). It has 4 LAN ports and 1 RJ port. How can I connect this to WiMax modem ?

:previous: Use Automatic Configuration - DHCP (this will obtain the IP address automatically from your BSNL modem) in the router and enable DHCP server in the router with a local IP range. Use automatic configuration in your PC for the wireless network.
  • Like 1